« Older   Newer »

"The King of Pop"

Group
    Dangerous

Status
    Anonymous

Visit Woolcos Shopping Center in Memphis, TN

Mar 22, 1977
    The Jackson 5 were appearing that evening in concert and had just visited the South’s great R&B radio station, WDIA. Michael and his brothers were eager to please their fans, and that would mean going into the community to sign autographs. So WDIA planned a remote broadcast at a Woolco in the Southgate Shopping Center on South Third.

Although Woolco was selling Jackson 5 recordings, the manager of the store had never even heard of the group. As a result, nobody at this particular Woolco had anticipated what would happen when they opened the doors of the store despite the fact that the store was actually selling tons of their records.

Of course, hundreds, then thousands, of fans rushed in to meet the young pop icons. One estimate is that at least 10,000 people had been waiting in the parking lot to see the group.

The WDIA handlers decided to put the Jackson 5 on the roof for everyone’s safety.

Up there, Michael and his fans waved and dropped autographs down to the crowds. People were screaming one name: MICHAEL! MICHAEL! MICHAEL!

Many of the fans were angry because they had not gotten a chance to get close to the group. The enormous crowd gathered into a storm, and people began looting the Woolco store, completely cleaning it out. The store was torn apart.

Eventually the Jackson family paid for the damages.

SOURCE

67631464_361116167903055_5555173849550553088_n

Michael Jackson sul tetto di un negozio Woolco a Memphis, Tennessee

22 marzo 1977
    I Jackson 5 erano apparsi in concerto quella sera e avevano appena visitato la grande stazione radiofonica di R&B del Sud, WDIA. Michael e i suoi fratelli erano desiderosi di compiacere i loro fan, e questo significava andare nella comunità per firmare autografi. Cosi WDIA organizzò una trasmissione a distanza in un Woolco nel centro commerciale Southgate.

Sebbene Woolco stesse vendendo i dischi dei Jackson 5, il responsabile del negozio non aveva mai nemmeno sentito parlare del gruppo. Di conseguenza, nessuno in questo preciso Woolco avrebbe potuto prevedere quello che sarebbe accaduto quando aprirono le porte del negozio nonostante il fatto che il negozio stesse vendendo in realtà tonnellate di loro dischi.

Naturalmente, centinaia, poi migliaia di fan si precipitarono per incontrare le giovani icone pop.

Si stima che almeno 10.000 persone avevano atteso nel parcheggio per vedere il gruppo.

I gestori di WDIA decisero di mandare i Jackson 5 sul tetto per la sicurezza di tutti. Lassù, Michael e i suoi fan si salutarono con la mano e lanciò giù autografi tra la folla.

La gente urlava un solo nome: MICHAEL! MICHAEL! MICHAEL!

Molti fan erano arrabbiati perché non avevano avuto la possibilità di avvicinarsi al gruppo. L'enorme folla si radunò in una presa d'assalto, e la gente iniziò a saccheggiare il negozio Woolco, ripulendolo completamente. Il negozio era stato fatto a pezzi.

Alla fine la famiglia Jackson pagò i danni.

Traduzione: MJ Thief of Hearts.

0 replies since 8/10/2019, 02:33   106 views