« Older   Newer »

"The King of Pop"

Group
    Threatened

Status
    Anonymous

The Story Behind the Photo: The Jackson 5 on the Beach, 1969

by Rockabye Baby

Behind every photo, there is a story . . .

Today, acclaimed photojournalist, director and screenwriter Lawrence Schiller shares how this famous 1969 Jackson 5 photo came to be. Read on to see how it all started with a little help from one of their friends, Diana Ross.

c465e0d14d4d7c7f19b558f3bf3f95fe

In Lawrence’s own words:

dianaross (2)The New York Times had given me an assignment to photograph Diana Ross and Motown Records, and one day when I was shooting Diana in Central Park, she said to me, “You should also photograph a new music group that I discovered.”

And I said, “I didn’t know you were discovering music groups.”

Diana replied, “Somebody discovered me and I’m doing the same . . . the group’s name is the Jackson 5.”

The Jackson 5 didn’t mean anything to me . . . Jackson 5, people, 5 kids, whatever.

So I asked the president and owner of Motown, Barry Gordon Sr., to arrange for me to photograph them. Diana had also mentioned the group was coming to California, where I lived, to make an album. Back home, one afternoon I got a phone call from one of Barry Gordy’s sisters who said, “The Jackson 5 are in Los Angeles, where would you like to photograph them?”

“Well, have they been to California before?” I asked.

“Nope, they have never even seen the Pacific Ocean . . .” she replied.

What ran through my mind was that I should be there as they had the experience of seeing the Pacific for the first time.

So she arranged for them to meet me near the Santa Monica pier . . . and next thing I know a group of kids drive up in a big Mercedes. They had a chauffeur and everything they might want. But what hit me the most . . . sitting in the back seat of the limo, one of the boys looked so small. And that was when I was introduced to Michael, by one of his brothers.

I suggested we move down to Malibu, where there would be more privacy. . . I didn’t have really anything in mind of what I wanted to do. When we arrived near the Malibu Pier, they just all jumped out of their car and headed toward the water. But Michael ran to the trunk their car and pulled out a ghetto blaster. . . .

“Are we going to listen to some of your music?” I asked.

Michael replied before I even finished my sentence. “We always carry our music with us . . .”

When I looked back toward the rest of the brothers, they were already down on the beach looking at the water. That was when I started taking some pictures of them with their feet in the water. Later I would later discover they had actually never seen an ocean before. Before I knew it, Michael had the ghetto blaster going as his brothers began to dance to their own music on the beach. It’s sad I don’t remember what song it was. . . .

They were still shy in a way, but the minute the music played they came alive. Michael Jackson was like a balloon filled with helium. He just took off to the sky. He became an entirely different person . . . you could just see the beginning of his insecurity. But when the music came, he just exploded.

There is no question that the Michael’s brothers were already playing second fiddle to him, and they had to accept the fact that his innocence and talent was what was driving the group. But still, Michael, as I remember him that day, was just an innocent little kid dancing to the beat of his own music.

www.rockabyebabymusic.com/blog/2014...the-beach-1969/

Edited by ArcoIris - 22/4/2018, 03:47

"The King of Pop"

Group
    Threatened

Status
    Anonymous

Storia dietro una foto: I Jackson 5 in spiaggia-1969

di Rockabye Baby

Dietro ogni foto, c'è una storia. . .

Oggi, il noto fotoreporter, regista e sceneggiatore, Lawrence Schiller , ci racconta la storia dietro questa foto del 1969 dei Jackson . Continuate a leggere per capire come tutto è cominciato con un piccolo aiuto da una loro amica, Diana Ross.

c465e0d14d4d7c7f19b558f3bf3f95fe_0

Nelle parole di Lawrence:

Il New York Times mi aveva dato l'incarico di fotografare Diana Ross della Motown Records, e un giorno, mentre la stavo fotografando a Central Park, lei mi ha detto: "Dovresti fotografare un nuovo gruppo musicale che ho scoperto."

E io risposi: "Non sapevo che ti occupassi anche di scoprire talenti musicali"

E Diana disse: "Qualcuno mi ha scoperto e pertanto faccio la stessa cosa... il nome del gruppo è The Jackson 5. "

The Jackson 5 non significava niente per me. . . Jackson 5, che fossero adulti o bambini, non faceva differenza per me.

Così ho chiesto al presidente e proprietario della Motown, Barry Gordon, di organizzare un servizio. Diana mi aveva accennato che sarebbero venuti in California, dove vivevo, per fare un album. Tornato a casa, un pomeriggio ho ricevuto una telefonata da una delle sorelle di Barry Gordy che mi disse "I Jackson 5 sono a Los Angeles, dove ti piacerebbe fargli le foto?"

"Beh, Sono mai stati prima d'ora in California?» Chiesi.

"No, non hanno mai nemmeno visto l'Oceano Pacifico. . . "Rispose.

Pensai che se non avevano mai visto l'Oceano, avrei dovuto esserci mentre facevano questa esperienza per la prima volta.

Così lei organizzò l'incontro, vicino al molo di Santa Monica... e un attimo dopo ero li a conoscere un gruppo di ragazzini a bordo di una grande mercedes. Avevano un autista e qualunque altra cosa potessero desiderare. Ma ciò che mi colpì di più . è che uno dei ragazzi seduto nel sedile posteriore della limousine ,sembrava così piccolo. E fu così che conobbi Michael, che mi venne presentato da uno dei suoi fratelli.

Suggerì di andare sino a Malibu, dove avremmo potuto avere maggior privacy. . . Non avevo idea di cosa fare in realtà. Ma appena arrivammo vicino a Malibu Pier , saltarono fuori dalla macchina e corsero verso l'acqua. Michael invece, corse verso il bagagliaio dell'auto e ne tirò fuori uno stereo portatile . . .

"Mi stai per far ascoltare un pò della tua musica" Chiesi.

Michael rispose ancor prima che finissi la frase "Portiamo sempre la nostra musica con noi. . . "

Mi sono voltato indietro, guardando verso gli altri fratelli, che erano già arrivati al limite della spiaggia e guardavano l'acqua. Così iniziai a scattare delle foto di loro con i piedi in acqua. Più tardi mi sarebbe piaciuto capire perchè non avevano mai visto l'oceano. Ma prima che ponessi la domanda, Michael con il suo stereo portatile si era diretto verso i suoi fratelli cominciando a ballare sulle note della loro musica. Purtroppo non ricordo quale canzone fosse. . . .

Era timido in un certo senso, ma nell'esatto istante in cui partì la musica si animava. Michael Jackson era come un palloncino pieno di elio. Pronto a decollare verso il cielo. Diventava una persona completamente diversa. . .prima ti sembra timido e riservato, ma quando parte la musica è come un esplosione.

Era ben chiaro e sin da allora che i suoi fratelli erano una sorta di coreografia intorno a lui , e hanno dovuto accettare molto presto il fatto che la sua spontaneità e il suo talento erano ciò che guidava il gruppo. Ma nonostante questo,Michael, come io lo ricordo quel giorno, era solo un ragazzino innocente che ballava al ritmo della sua musica.

Traduzione: MJGW Forum

Edited by ArcoIris - 22/4/2018, 03:50

1 replies since 3/1/2015, 11:08   221 views