M. Jackson: L'esibizione di un talento che, molto probabilmente, il mondo non rivedrà mai più

di Marcus Miller

« Older   Newer »

1. MJGoldWorld

User deleted

A talent that, most likely, the world will never, ever see again.

Snmym3w
    “I don't think I can remember one person who wasn't amazed by Michael's artistry. Miles Davis, Luther Vandross, Roberta Flack, some of the greatest artists in the world, all told me how in awe of him they were.

I come from a musical family but it wasn't until I heard Michael Jackson that I decided to become a musician. The Jackson Five were so exciting and so talented. As a ten year old, I decided to get serious about music because Michael and the Jackson Five had me that excited. Hey, they were my age and they were already professionals, I actually felt like I was late and had some catching up to do!

In my neighborhood in NY, we dressed like them, wore our hair like them. I'm sure it was the same all over the country. He and his brothers really defined our childhood.

I never played with him but I never minded that because it allowed me to really stay a fan forever without being concerned with playing the bass or writing songs. I just enjoyed his records like everyone else.

I eventually went on make music in a more jazz and R&B vein than him but I always felt like I carried that spark that Michael Jackson instilled in me. I used to make Miles listen to Michael Jackson records! He loved "Shake Your Body Down To The Ground"! He said, "Man, that's some bad s**t!!"

For young African-American kids, he was the defining voice of the seventies. What's incredible is that he went on to be the defining voice of the eighties as well. And this time, it wasn't just for African-American kids; it wasn't even just for kids. EVERYBODY bought "Thriller" - from the grandmothers right on down to the 5 year olds. Not many artists have ever had that sort of universal appeal, if any.

I heard that, in the seventies, Sammy Davis Jr. always left the door open at his Hollywood Hills home. And if you were visiting Sammy, you'd often see young Michael Jackson, letting himself in to go into Sammy's video room to study Sammy's extensive video collection of the old dance geniuses like Bill "Bojangles" Robinson, the Nicholas Brothers and Sammy himself. Sammy's collection of photos and videos is legendary. Imagine what a young genius like Michael Jackson learned from watching those tapes.

If you listen to the old Jackson Five records, you hear the J5 hits, of course, but to fill out the album, the Motown producers would have Michael and his brothers do covers (remakes) of Motown and other R&B hits of the day. It's incredible to listen to Michael doing songs in all those different styles. He would sing like William Hart from the Delphonics on one song, then like Smokey Robinson on the next. He even did a cover of the Bobby Day tune, "Rockin' Robin". This was an incredible vocal history lesson for Michael, who's capacity to absorb all these different styles was scary.

In the eighties, Michael put it all together. In his slender frame, he embodied the entire black entertainment tradition. From the Nicholas Brothers through Sammy Davis Jr., Little Richard, Sam Cooke, James Brown, Sly and the Family Stone, Smokey Robinson, the Delphonics, Stevie Wonder, and on into the future. Watching MJ was like taking a history lesson and a lesson on the future at the same time.

If that weren't enough, MJ then went and single-handedly revolutionized music videos. It's amazing that today, some twenty-five years later, everyone who makes a pop music video still feels obligated to include a "group dance" sequence like the one MJ pioneered in "Beat It". That's how influential and ahead of the times he was.

I truly feel sorry for people who only know the Michael Jackson of the later years. It's unfortunate that they will only see the "out there" Michael Jackson who was very obviously dealing with demons created by a childhood that none of us can ever imagine or understand.

I feel sorry for people who only know Michael Jackson as "Wacko Jacko" - because they've missed witnessing a display of talent that, most likely, the world will never, ever see again.
    Rest In Peace MJ”

Marcus Miller. Musician, producer and jazz composer
    www.smoothjazznow.com/tribute/michael_jackson.html

Michael Jackson: L'esibizione di un talento che, molto probabilmente, il mondo non rivedrà mai più

"Non riesco a ricordare una persona che non è rimasta colpita dalla maestria di Michael. Miles Davis, Luther Vandross, Roberta Flack, alcuni dei più grandi artisti del mondo, tutti mi hanno parlato del loro stupore nei suoi confronti.

Provengo da una famiglia di musicisti, ma solo quando ho ascoltato Michael Jackson ho deciso di diventare un musicista. The Jackson Five erano così emozionanti e talentuosi. Come un bambino di dieci anni, ho deciso prendere sul serio la musica, perché Michael e The Jackson Five mi avevano emozionato. Ehi, avevano la mia età ed erano già dei professionisti, in realtà mi sentivo come se fosse in ritardo e che dovevo mettermi a fare qualcosa!

Nel mio quartiere di New York, ci vestivamo come loro, portavano i capelli come loro. Sono sicuro che succedeva la stessa cosa in tutto il paese. Lui e i suoi fratelli hanno veramente segnato la nostra infanzia.

Non ho mai suonato con lui, ma non mi ha dato fastidio perché mi ha permesso di restare un fan per sempre senza preoccuparmi di suonare il basso e scrivere canzoni. Ho semplicemente goduto i loro album come gli altri.

In realtà ho finito per fare più musica jazz e R & B di lui, ma ho sempre sentito di avere con me quella scintilla che Michael Jackson mi ha trasmesso. Ero solito far ascoltare a Miles le canzoni di Michael Jackson! Amava "Shake Your Body Down To The Ground"!

Per i ragazzi afro americani, è stata la voce che ha definito gli anni Settanta. La cosa sorprendente è che è diventato la voce che ha definito anche gli anni Ottanta.. E questa volta, non lo è stato solo per questi ragazzi.. Tutti hanno acquistato "Thriller" - dalle nonne ai bambini di 5 anni. Non molti artisti hanno avuto tale fascino universale .. sempre che ci sia.

Ho sentito dire che negli anni Settanta, Sammy Davis Jr. lasciava sempre la porta aperta della sua casa di Hollywood Hills. E se visitavi Sammy, spesso potevi vedere un giovane Michael Jackson entrare nella sala video per studiare la vasta collezione di Sammy dei vecchi geni della danza come Bill "Bojangles" Robinson, i Nicholas Brothers e lo stesso Sammy. La collezione di foto e video di Sammy è leggendaria. Immaginate che cosa un giovane genio come Michael Jackson ha imparato guardando quei nastri.

Se si ascoltano i vecchi dischi dei Jackson Five, ascolti i successi del J5 naturalmente, ma per completare l'album, i produttori di Motown facevano cantare a Michael e ai suoi fratelli delle cover (nuove versioni) dei successi della Motown e di altri successi R & B di quel tempo.
    E' straordinario sentire Michael cantare in diversi stili. Cantava come William Hart della Delphonics in una canzone, come Smokey Robinson in un'altra. Ha anche eseguito una cover della canzone di Bobby Day, "Rockin 'Robin". Questa è stata una incredibile lezione di storia vocale per Michael, la capacità di assorbire tanti stili diversi era sorprendente..

Negli anni ottanta, Michael ha messo tutto insieme. Con la sua figura esile, ha incarnato tutta la tradizione dell'intrattenimento afro americano; dai Nicholas Brothers, passando per Sammy Davis Jr., Little Richard, Sam Cooke, James Brown, Sly and the Family Stone, Smokey Robinson, Delphonics, Stevie Wonder, e tanti altri. Vedere MJ era come prendere una lezione della storia e del futuro allo stesso tempo.
    E come se non bastasse, in seguito, praticamente MJ, da solo, ha rivoluzionato i video musicali.
    E' incredibile che ancora oggi, circa venticinque anni dopo, tutti quelli che fanno video si sentono ancora in dovere di includere una sequenza di "gruppo di danza", come MJ fece da pioniere in "Beat It". Così influente e d'avanguardia è stato.

Mi sento veramente dispiaciuto per le persone che conoscono solo il Michael Jackson degli ultimi anni. E' un peccato che vedano solo il di "fuori" di un Michael Jackson che ovviamente, aveva a che fare con i demoni creati da un'infanzia che nessuno di noi può immaginare o capire.

Mi dispiace per le persone che conoscono Michael Jackson solo come "Wacko Jacko" - perché hanno perso la possibilità di essere testimoni di un talento che, molto probabilmente, il mondo non rivedrà mai più "
    Riposa in pace MJ.

Marcus Miller. Musicista, produttore e compositore jazz

Questa traduzione è per il Michael Jackson's Gold World. In caso di ripubblicazione citare la fonte riportando l'url diretto a questo post, (clicca sulla data del post per ottenere l'url diretto)

Edited by ArcoIris - 2/4/2015, 12:06

0 replies since 23/12/2014, 09:41   381 views