« Older   Newer »

"The King of Pop"

Group
    Threatened

Status
    Anonymous

MADIBA: THE MAN MICHAEL JACKSON CALLED “GRANDFATHER”

by Raven

With or without his connection to Michael Jackson, the death of former South African president Nelson Mandela, better known to many by his tribal name of Madiba (“Nelson” was a misnomer forced upon him by racist missionaries when he was a child) is rightfully one that is being mourned all over the world. However, since this is a blog dedicated to all things MJ, I would like to take a pause to reflect on the very special relationship that these two global icons shared.

I would also like to expose and put to rest an unfortunate hoax that many fans do not seem aware of. It’s not my intent, of course, to rain on anyone’s parade. But truth is important, and I would like to celebrate the genuine friendship that Michael and Mandela shared without having it clouded by words neither ever actually said.

Mandela’s own history is well known, but I am sure for many young people today, Apartheid is just a word that they have only heard from history books, or maybe have heard their parents speak. As an American, I have to admit that in the 1980’s (a time when I was pretty much just a kid myself) I only had a vague notion of what people meant when they spoke of “Apartheid.” It was a word we heard a lot in the news, and I was aware that it was a cause that many political activists had taken up. All of the really “cool” and “hip” artists seemed to be writing songs about it, and staging concerts in united protest of it. But for many of my generation, “Sun City” was just a catchy single. Could we truly understand, from the comfort of our suburban American homes, what was happening in South Africa, where a political prisoner falsely named Nelson Mandela, a man of royal birth, sat in jail with no hope of ever seeing his family or the sun again?

mandela

But the late 80’s were strange, violent, idealistic and-ultimately-liberating times. Revolution was in the air. If the 70’s had been largely a passive decade, the 80’s were a throwback to the 60’s, when it really seemed possible that we could create world change simply by coming together and making it happen. The Soviet Union crumbled, and the Cold War was over. The Berlin Wall came down. And Apartheid, too, would become a casualty of what seemed a revolution of freedom. In the late 80’s, there was a sense that what we were witnessing was the dawn of a new golden age, where all the old, oppressive regimes would make way for a new democratic age of enlightenment and hope.

In 1990, I still didn’t yet quite understand all of the hoopla surrounding this man Nelson Mandela, or what his release from prison truly meant. I just knew that it was huge, and accepted blindly that it must be huge for a good reason.

Well, turns out there were plenty of good reasons. You can read here just some of the reasons why this was a man celebrated and, now, mourned all over the world:

www.dailykos.com/story/2013/12/05/1...-Nelson-Mandela

One thing I have come to know about Madiba. While often celebrated as a man of peace, he nevertheless had a lion’s heart. One of the many qualities he did share in common with his “grandson” Michael was that rare combination of humbleness and meekness, coupled with a quiet yet raging and invincible courage-the kind of courage that doesn’t beat its chest or puff its feathers, but nevertheless, manages to move mountains. They both endured much and suffered much in their own ways, yet came out stronger for it.

mandela8_225x300

Mandela, of course, had many celebrity friends. Michael Jackson was just one of a long list that included many of the most powerful and elite celebrities (but usually those most active in political causes or humanitarian efforts). Among his friends, Mandela counted such luminaries, world leaders, and humanitarians as Princess Diana, Bono, Stevie Wonder, Oprah Winfrey, Pope John Paul II, Tony Blair, Hillary Clinton, and too many more to mention.

Yet, for a man who could hold court with the world, there did seem to be an especial bond of affection that he held exclusively for the young man from Gary, Indiana, whom he would later call his “grandson.” Michael became more than just Mandela’s friend; he was, as Mandela himself stated in the letter read at Michael’s memorial, “family.”

This was an amusing story that was shared earlier by Dr. Patrick Treacy via Twitter:

“I was with Michael Jackson one day in my clinic in Dublin discussing a future concert we were arranging in Africa when Nelson came talking on the cell phone.

At first I thought it was a South African concert promoter and blandly spoke to him about how life was in the Cape for about five to ten minutes minutes before idly giving the phone back. Michael then just laughed and said ‘Hey, Patrick I’m really surprised to had to little to say to my grandfather ‘Mandiba’ when you had the chance to talk to him’ ‘You talk about him enough’.”-Dr. Patrick Treacy

www.news24.com/MyNews24/Thats-Mandiba-grandfather-20131206

Fans of Michael Jackson are, of course, very much aware of the long history and connection between Jackson and Mandela. Since late Thursday, when the news broke, I have come across numerous blogs featuring posts dedicated to the history of their friendship. And it seems only befitting that, just as Mandela reached out to console us and Michael’s family in 2009, the Michael Jackson estate has offered its own statement in the wake of Mandela’s passing:

“Michael Jackson was proud to call Nelson Mandela his friend. Like millions of admirers around the world Michael drew inspiration from President Mandela’s courage, his fight for human dignity and his commitment to peace. During his visits to South Africa Michael met often with President Mandela, who described Michael as “a close member of our family.” Our hearts go out to President Mandela’s family and to his beloved South Africans as they mourn their incalculable loss.”-John Branca and John McClain, co executors of the Estate of Michael Jackson.

The opening montage of Michael’s HIStory tour included references to many iconic world leaders and political figures, among them JFK, Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., Neil Armstrong, Ghandi, and of course Nelson Mandela. While some have viewed Michael’s constant references to such figures-and the need to associate himself among their ranks-as more proof of his grandiose megalomania, there is actually a much simpler explanation. Michael spent his entire life paying homage to the people who had influenced him. Is it so very wrong that this little boy who grew up in such humble beginnings in midwest America dreamed of becoming like his heroes? Isn’t that exactly what we teach our children, that they should strive to follow the examples of our greatest leaders? Michael was attracted to these people, not because of their power or the mass adulation they inspired, but because their idealism and accomplishments embodied those same ideals that he most valued, felt inspired by, and tried to emulate in himself. Michael wasn’t perfect, and nor were the people he often referenced. But they did inspire us to reach for the best that we can be, given our human limitations.

Michael Meets Nelson Mandela in Cape Town, South Africa to Announce The Michael & Friends-The Adventure of Humanity” Concerts:

I often say that what I most admire about Michael Jackson isn’t what he actually accomplished, or what he was. It’s what he aspired to be that I find so compelling. Michael’s dreams- his vision for the world and for what humanity could accomplish-were as limitless and vast as the sky that stretched beyond the view of his little bedroom window on 2300 Jackson Street.

Michael’s greatest heroes all seemed to share similar traits, as peace makers who nevertheless had the courage of their convictions; as “lambs” who nevertheless refused to lie down. They were men (and a few women) who won their battles through graciousness, and bore their scars with fortitude and grace. They were people about whom storms blew, without ever affecting their inner core. This is what Michael himself had to say about his friend Nelson Mandela:

“He (Mandela) became a lamb in prison. He had no bitterness, to this day saying even though he is eighty and his youth is gone—because he was in prison so long—he doesn’t regret any of it.” “He [Nelson Mandela] is sweet, very childlike.” Q: Does he like to giggle? “He [Nelson Mandela] loves children because when I went to see him I had some kids with me and people were saying the kids have to stay, but Michael Jackson can come. I said. “I’m sure Mr. Mandela wouldn’t mind seeing children. I won’t go in unless the children go too.” I remember his representatives looked at me like this [makes stern and suspicious facial expression] and they went back and then they said, “Everybody come.” The first thing Mandela did is run to the children and pick them up and hug them. I knew he was that kind of man and he loved them. He was talking to them and then he shook my hand. I knew I was right.” ~ Michael Jackson

I have to wonder if this example wasn’t at least in part what enabled Michael to get through some of his own worst trials and tribulations. Perhaps he did see himself as being on a par with his own martyred heroes. And, just perhaps, he wasn’t too far off the mark in doing so.

Certainly Mandela himself gave some hint of this in his own condolence letter to the Jackson family after Michael’s passing:

“Dear Jackson family,

It is with great sadness that we learnt of the untimely death of Michael Jackson. Michael became close to use after he started visiting and performing in South Africa regularly.

We became fond of him and he became a close member of our family. We had great admiration for his talent and that he was able to triumph over tragedy on some many occasion in his life.

Michael was a giant and a legend in the music industry and we mourn with the millions of fans worldwide. We also mourn with his family and his friends over the loss of a dear friend. He will be missed and memories cherished of him for a long time.

Be strong,

Nelson Mandela”

www.gigwise.com/news/51594/nelson-m...t-of-our-family

I don’t think we have to guess too far to know what “tragedies” he was referring to, but then again, those tragedies may run far deeper than any of us will ever know, just as the heights of those personal “triumphs” may be far greater than we will ever know. Mandela knew Michael’s heart, and there is no doubt that their bond was a genuine and profound one.

At Madiba’s Private Birthday Party, 1999:

Nevertheless, I do want to point out that one particular quote I have seen floating around, attributed to Mandela about Michael, appears to have been a hoax originally perpetuated in 2005. I am referring to this quote, which many MJ fans have been innocently sharing on social media since the news of Mandela’s death broke:

“When you are behind bars with no hope of release, you need to find strength wherever you can. Personally, I found strength in Michael Jackson.”

Like many others, my initial reaction was that it was a wonderful quote that appeared to be from Nelson Mandela on his friend Michael Jackson. But I then wanted to know the original source of this quote, and did some checking. What I made was a pretty unsettling (though not entirely shocking) discovery.

A google search for the quote led me to this site, where the story containing the alleged quote appeared in March of 2005:

www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1373951/posts

Freerepublic.com is clearly identified as a satire site, and in the context of the article, it becomes apparent quickly that this is a made-up story meant to be taken tongue-in-cheek. It goes on to quote Mandela as saying that he drew courage in prison from the example set by Michael Jackson in leaving The Jackson 5 and embarking on his solo career and then, ending it by claiming he also draws strength from Martha Stewart!

But the story did not originate on this site. A link there leads to a site called Jewishworldview.com and a writer named Andy Borowitz, who appears to be the originator of the phony article.

This is what the contributor notes on that site says about Andy Borowitz:

JWR Contributor Andy Borowitz, the first-ever recipient of the National Press Club’s Award for Humor, is a former president of the Harvard Lampoon,and a regular humor columnist for Newsweek.com, The New Yorker, The New York Times and TV Guide. Recognized by Esquire magazine as one of the most powerful producers in television, he was the creator and producer of the hit TV series The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air and producer of the Oscar-nominated film Pleasantville.

www.jewishworldreview.com/0305/borowitz033005.php3

Okay, so Borowitz, in addition to all of his other credentials, is a “humor columnist” whose specialty is writing satire.

I did some additional searching to see if I might, by some chance, be able to unearth any original interview with Mandela from which that quote might have originated. The search only led me to another mocking article from the same writer, Andy Borowitz, that was featured in the March 28, 2005 issue of Newsweek:

The Borowitz Report: Michael Jackson’s ‘Great Courage’
    By Andy Borowitz / March 28 2005 7:00 PM
    Former South African President Nelson Mandela said today that he gained strength during his many years of imprisonment by thinking about Michael Jackson, adding that the King of Pop continues to be a source of inspiration for him today.

“When you are behind bars with no hope of release, you need to find strength wherever you can,” Mandela said in an exclusive interview with a Danish magazine. “Personally, I found strength in Michael Jackson.”

The former South African president said that while imprisoned in the 1980s, he drew emotional sustenance from following Jackson’s recording career. “It took great courage to leave the Jackson Five and go solo,” Mandela said. “I thought to myself, if he had the courage to do that, I, too, must have the will to go on.”

Even to this day, Mandela said, Michael Jackson is “a constant source of inspiration,” adding, “When I am not drawing strength from Michael Jackson, I am drawing strength from Martha Stewart.”

Jackson received kind words from another international icon today, the boxer Muhammad Ali, who told a Norwegian newspaper that he, too, draws inspiration from the platinum-selling recording artist.

“When people ask me where I get my strength from, I tell them that I look at the man Michael Jackson looks at when he looks at the man in the mirror,” the former heavyweight champion said.

Elsewhere, with enlistment levels falling, the Pentagon said it would focus its recruitment effort on people who had not read a newspaper in the past two years.

www.newsweek.com/borowitz-report-mi...-courage-114945

Borowitz mentions a “Danish interview” but there is no link to this source and all searches for it have only led me down a dead end path. It seems likely that, in fact, there was never any such “source” at all; that this is simply a fabricated story meant to poke fun at Michael and to mock his friendship with Mandela. In March of 2005, this would have been the height of the Arvizo trial (around the time of the infamous “Pajama Day”) and a time when mockery and satire of Michael Jackson in the press was at its unchecked height.

If anyone does know of the actual existence of this “Danish interview” I would love to know, but so far I have found nothing. And now I am finding it somewhat troubling and disturbing that so many fans are attributing a quote about Michael to Mandela that he not only never made, but that may have had its origins in a satiric article that was actually mocking their friendship. I hope I will be proven wrong, but until I see from it this actual “Danish source” and from anyone other than Andy Borowitz, I am calling hoax.

In Pretoria, South Africa, 1996:

However, allow me to just close this out by reminding you all what has always been said about small minds. Michael Jackson and Nelson Mandela did not have to prove to the world what their friendship meant, nor did they owe any explanations.

Nor did they have to “prove” what courage, grace, humility, and living your life by example meant.

<mandela3>

When both of these men died the world stopped in its tracks and mourned, however briefly. Both accomplished more, and did more for humanity, than all of the Andy Borowitzes of the world combined. All mockery aside, it wouldn’t surprise me if Nelson Mandela found courage and inspiration in Michael, even if only through his music. Mandela was a man whose heart had not been touched by bitterness, as Michael himself noted; a man who, for all that he had been through, still loved to dance, laugh and party. Don’t believe me, just read this account from a writer who still remembers vividly the day he saw Nelson Mandela dance:

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/stephen-hu..._b_3494698.html

Do you think Madiba, with that much joy in his heart, ever danced to MJ? You bet your bottom dollar he did! Both men led extraordinary lives; lives that carried them from the depths of poverty and despair to the heights of world fame and adoration. Michael may have indeed dreamed big and grandiose. But how many of us, in our lifetime, will ever get to meet our heroes, let alone become as family to them? Michael, like Mandela, would get to rub shoulders with presidents and queens, with kings and popes, all while maintaining the innocence and humbleness of spirit that remained at the core of their souls. Mandela may or may not have ever actually said, in so many words, that Michael’s courage got him through those dark days in prison. But what he did say spoke so much more.

He called him his grandson. He called him family. And sometimes, as we know, kinship runs deeper than blood.

mandela2

RIP Madiba. May your long, courageous journey in this life reap its reward.
    www.allforloveblog.com/?p=8788

Edited by ArcoIris - 1/4/2018, 03:57

Quando tutti intorno a te sono in preda al panico e tu sei perfettamente tranquillo, forse non hai capito qual è il problema

Group
    Dangerous

Status
    Anonymous

MADIBA : L'UOMO CHE MICHAEL JACKSON CHIAMAVA NONNO

Con o senza il suo collegamento a Michael Jackson, la morte dell'ex presidente sudafricano Nelson Mandela, da molti meglio conosciuto per il suo nome tribale di Madiba ("Nelson" è un termine improprio impostogli dai missionari razzisti quando era un bambino) è giustamente uno che viene pianto da tutto il mondo. Tuttavia, dal momento che questo è un blog dedicato a MJ, vorrei riflettere sul rapporto molto speciale che queste due icone globali hanno condiviso.

Vorrei anche esporre e mettere a dimora una sfortunata beffa di cui molti fan non sembrano consapevoli, vorrei celebrare l'autentica amicizia che Michael e Mandela hanno condiviso senza che sia offuscata dalle parole e neppure mai detta effettivamente.

La storia di Mandela è ben nota, ma sono sicuro che per molti giovani di oggi "Apartheid" è solo una parola che hanno sentito dai libri di storia o forse dai loro genitori. Come americano , devo ammettere che nel 1980 (quando ero praticamente solo un ragazzino) avevo soltanto una vaga idea di quello che la gente intendeva quando parlavano di " apartheid ". Era una parola che avevamo sentito molto nelle notizie ed ero consapevole che si trattava di una causa che molti attivisti politici avevano abbracciato. Tutti gli artisti veramente "cool " e "hip" sembravano scrivere canzoni su questo e organizzare concerti in segno di protesta.
    Ma per molti della mia generazione "Sun City" era solo un singolo orecchiabile. Avremmo veramente potuto capire , dalla comodità delle nostre case americane di periferia , quello che stava accadendo in Sud Africa , dove un prigioniero politico falsamente chiamato Nelson Mandela , un uomo di stirpe reale , era chiuso in carcere senza nessuna speranza di rivedere la sua famiglia o il sole di nuovo?

mandela

Ma gli ultimi anni '80 erano tempi strani , violenti , idealisti e finalmente liberatori. La Rivoluzione era nell'aria.
    Se gli anni '70 erano stati in gran parte un decennio passivo , gli anni '80 sono stati un ritorno agli anni '60 , quando in realtà sembrava possibile che si potesse creare un cambiamento mondiale semplicemente andandogli incontro insieme e facendolo accadere. L'Unione Sovietica crollò, e la guerra fredda finì. Cadde Il Muro di Berlino. E anche l’Apartheid sarebbe diventata vittima di quella che sembrava una rivoluzione della libertà. Alla fine degli anni '80 c'era la sensazione che quello a cui stavamo assistendo fosse l'alba di una nuova età dell'oro , in cui tutti i vecchi regimi oppressivi avrebbero fatto posto a una nuova era democratica di illuminazione e di speranza.

Nel 1990 ancora non avevo ben capito tutto il trambusto che circondava quest’uomo, Nelson Mandela, o ciò che il suo rilascio dalla prigione significava veramente. Sapevo solo che era una cosa enorme e avevo accettato ciecamente che dovesse esserlo per una buona ragione. Ebbene c’erano un sacco di buoni motivi. Potete leggere qui solo alcuni dei motivi per cui questo era un uomo celebrato e , ora , pianto in tutto il mondo :

www.dailykos.com/story/2013/12/05/1...-Nelson-Mandela

C’è una cosa che ho imparato a conoscere su Madiba. In genere è celebrato come un uomo di pace eppure aveva il cuore di un leone. Una delle tante qualità che condivide con il suo "nipote" Michael, era quella rara combinazione di umiltà e mitezza , accoppiata con un tranquillo eppure furioso e invincibile coraggio , il tipo di coraggio che non fa battere il petto o gonfiare le piume , tuttavia , riesce a spostare le montagne . Entrambi hanno sopportato tanto e sofferto molto a modo loro, ma ne sono usciti più forti.

Mandela, ovviamente, aveva molti amici famosi . Michael Jackson è stato solo uno di una lunga lista che comprendeva molte delle celebrità più potenti e d'elite (ma di solito quelle più attive in cause politiche o sforzi umanitari) . Tra i suoi amici , Mandela contava luminari , leader mondiali , e umanitari come la principessa Diana , Bono , Stevie Wonder , Oprah Winfrey , Papa Giovanni Paolo II , Tony Blair , Hillary Clinton , e molti altri.

Eppure, per un uomo che poteva intrattenere rapporti con le corti del mondo, sembrava che uno speciale legame di affetto fosse riservato esclusivamente al giovane di Gary , Indiana , che avrebbe poi chiamato suo "nipote". Michael era diventato più che solo un amico di Mandela ; egli era, come Mandela stesso ha dichiarato nella lettera letta al memoriale di Michael, "famiglia".

Questa è stata una storia divertente che è stata già condivisa dal dottor Patrick Treacy via Twitter : "Un giorno stavo discutendo con Michael Jackson nella mia clinica a Dublino per un futuro concerto da organizzare in Africa, quando Nelson mi chiamò al cellulare. In un primo momento pensai che fosse un sudafricano organizzatore di concerti e blandamente parlai con lui di come era la vita a Città del Capo per circa cinque-dieci minuti prima di chiudere pigramente il telefono. Michael allora rise e disse: 'Ehi , Patrick sono davvero sorpreso che tu abbia avuto poco da dire a mio nonno 'Madiba' quando hai avuto la possibilità di parlare con lui’ 'Tu parli di lui abbastanza' " - Dr. Patrick Treacy

www.news24.com/MyNews24/Thats-Mandiba-grandfather-20131206

I fan di Michael Jackson sono , ovviamente , molto consapevoli della lunga storia e della connessione tra Jackson e Mandela . Dalla fine di Giovedi , quando è arrivata la notizia , mi sono imbattuto in numerosi blog che dedicano post sulla storia della loro amicizia. E sembra semplicemente appropriato che, come Mandela allungò la mano per consolare noi e la famiglia di Michael nel 2009, l’Estate di Michael Jackson abbia offerto la propria dichiarazione a seguito della morte di Mandela :

"Michael Jackson era orgoglioso di chiamare Nelson Mandela il suo amico . Come milioni di ammiratori in tutto il mondo, Michael si è ispirato al coraggio del Presidente Mandela , alla sua lotta per la dignità umana e al suo impegno per la pace . Durante le sue visite in Sud Africa Michael ha incontrato spesso il presidente Mandela , che ha descritto Michael come “Uno stretto membro della nostra famiglia ". I nostri cuori vanno alla famiglia del presidente Mandela e ai suoi amati sudafricani nel momento in cui piangono la loro incalcolabile perdita" - . John Branca e John McClain , co esecutori della Estate di Michael Jackson .

Il montaggio di apertura del Tour di Michael HIStory comprendeva riferimenti a molti leader mondiali iconici e a personaggi politici tra i quali JFK, Franklin Delano Roosevelt , il Dr. Martin Luther King , Jr. , Neil Armstrong , Ghandi, e, naturalmente, Nelson Mandela . Mentre alcuni hanno visto i continui riferimenti di Michael a tali figure - e la necessità di associarsi nei loro ranghi più come una prova della sua grandiosa megalomania, vi è in realtà una spiegazione molto più semplice. Michael ha trascorso tutta la sua vita rendendo omaggio a coloro che lo avevano influenzato. È così sbagliato che questo bambino di umili origini, cresciuto nel midwest dell'America, sognasse di diventare come i suoi eroi ? Non è esattamente quello che insegniamo ai nostri figli , che si sforzino di seguire gli esempi dei nostri più grandi leaders ? Michael è stato attratto da queste persone , non a causa del loro potere o dell' adulazione di massa che ispiravano , ma perché il loro idealismo e le loro realizzazioni incarnavano quegli stessi ideali che egli più apprezzava, da cui si sentì ispirato e che aveva cercato di emulare in se stesso. Michael non era perfetto e non lo erano neppure le persone che spesso citava. Ma ci hanno ispirato a raggiungere il meglio di ciò che possiamo essere, date le nostre limitazioni umane.

Dico spesso che ciò che più ammiro di Michael Jackson non è quello che ha effettivamente compiuto, o quello che era. E' quello che aspirava ad essere. Questo lo trovo così irresistibile. I sogni di Michael - la sua visione per il mondo e per ciò che l'umanità potrebbe realizzare - erano illimitati e vasti come il cielo che si estendeva al di là della vista della finestra della sua piccola camera da letto in 2300 Jackson Street .
    Tutti i più grandi eroi di Michael sembravano condividere caratteristiche simili, come operatori di pace che pure hanno avuto il coraggio delle proprie convinzioni ; come " agnelli ", che però si rifiutavano di sdraiarsi. Erano uomini (e alcune donne) che avevano vinto le loro battaglie con garbo, e portavano le loro cicatrici con forza d'animo e grazia. Erano persone sulle quali soffiavano tempeste, senza mai compromettere il loro nucleo interno. Questo è ciò che Michael stesso ha dovuto dire riguardo il suo amico Nelson Mandela:

"Lui ( Mandela ) è divenuto agnello in carcere. Non aveva amarezza, ad oggi anche se ha ottanta anni e la sua giovinezza è andata , perché è stato in carcere così a lungo, egli non rimpiange nulla di tutto ciò." "Lui [ Nelson Mandela ] è dolce, molto infantile . "D: gli piace ridere ? “[ Nelson Mandela ] ama i bambini, perché quando sono andato per vederlo avevo alcuni bambini con me e la gente diceva che i bambini dovevano restare, ma Michael Jackson poteva venire. Ho detto . "Sono sicuro che al signor Mandela non dispiacerebbe vedere i bambini. Non voglio andare senza i bambini . "Ricordo che i suoi rappresentanti mi guardavano così [fa un’espressione facciale severa e sospettosa ] e tornati, poi hanno detto " Venite tutti. "La prima cosa che Mandela ha fatto è stato correre verso i bambini e prenderli per abbracciarli . Sapevo che era quel tipo di uomo e li amava. Stava parlando con loro e poi mi strinse la mano. Sapevo che avevo ragione. "~ Michael Jackson

Mi chiedo se questo esempio non sia stato, almeno in parte, ciò che consentì a Michael di passare attraverso alcune delle sue peggiori prove e tribolazioni . Forse si vedeva come alla pari con i suoi eroi martirizzati. E , solo forse , non era troppo lontano il marchio in questo modo .
    Certamente Mandela ha dato egli stesso qualche accenno di questo nella sua lettera di condoglianze alla famiglia Jackson dopo la morte di Michael:

"Cara famiglia Jackson , è con grande tristezza che abbiamo appreso della prematura scomparsa di Michael Jackson.
    Michael era diventato un vicino abituale quando aveva iniziato a visitare e a fare spettacoli in Sud Africa regolarmente. Ci siamo affezionati a lui ed era diventato uno stretto membro della nostra famiglia.

Avevamo una grande ammirazione per il suo talento e del fatto che stia stato in grado di trionfare sulla tragedia in molte occasioni nella sua vita.

Michael era un gigante e una leggenda nel settore della musica e piangiamo con i milioni di fan in tutto il mondo. Noi piangiamo anche con la sua famiglia ei suoi amici per la perdita di un caro amico. Mancherà e avremo preziosi ricordi di lui per molto tempo.

Siate forti ,

Nelson Mandela "

www.gigwise.com/news/51594/nelson-m...t-of-our-family

Non credo che dobbiamo indovinare troppo per sapere a quali " tragedie" si riferisse , ma poi ancora , quelle tragedie possono andare molto più in profondità di quanto nessuno di noi potrà mai sapere, proprio come le altezze di quei " trionfi "personali possono essere molto più grandi di quanto noi potremo mai sapere . Mandela conosceva il cuore di Michael, e non c'è dubbio che il loro legame è stato vero e profondo.

Alla festa di compleanno privata di Madiba , 1999 :

foto

Tuttavia, voglio sottolineare una particolare citazione che ho visto in giro, attribuita a Mandela su Michael, che sembra essere stata una bufala originariamente perpetuata nel 2005. Mi riferisco a questa citazione che molti fan di MJ hanno innocentemente condiviso sui social media da quando ha fatto irruzione la notizia della morte di Mandela: "Quando sei dietro le sbarre senza speranza di liberazione, è necessario trovare la forza dove possibile. Personalmente, ho trovato la forza in Michael Jackson. "Come molti altri, la mia reazione iniziale era che si trattava di una citazione meravigliosa che sembrava essere di Nelson Mandela per il suo amico Michael Jackson . Ma poi ho voluto sapere la fonte originale di questa citazione e ho fatto qualche controllo. E ho fatto una bella inquietante (anche se non del tutto scioccante) scoperta. Una ricerca su Google per la citazione mi ha portato a questo luogo, dove la storia contiene la presunta citazione apparsa nel marzo del 2005 :

www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1373951/posts

E' chiaramente identificato come sito di satira, e nel contesto di questo articolo, risulta subito evidente che questa è una storia inventata destinata a essere uno scherzo. Si va avanti a citare Mandela dicendo che abbia preso coraggio in carcere dall'esempio di Michael Jackson che lasciava i The Jackson 5 e intraprendeva la carriera da solista e poi finisce affermando che attingeva forza da Martha Stewart !Ma la storia non ha avuto origine in questo sito. Un link vi porta ad un sito chiamato Jewishworldview.com e uno scrittore di nome Andy Borowitz che sembra essere il creatore di questo articolo falso.

Questo è ciò che dicono le note contributor su questo sito di Andy Borowitz:

Il Contributor JWR Andy Borowitz, la prima volta destinatario del premio del National Press Club Of Humor, è un ex presidente della Harvard Lampoon, e un articolista umoristico regolare per Newsweek.com, The New Yorker, The New York Times e TV Guide. Riconosciuto dalla rivista Esquire come uno dei più potenti produttori televisivi, è stato il creatore e produttore della serie TV di successo, il principe di Bel-Air e produttore del film candidato all'Oscar Pleasantville.

www.jewishworldreview.com/0305/borowitz033005.php3

Va bene, così Borowitz, in aggiunta a tutte le altre sue credenziali, è un "articolista umoristico" la cui specialità è scrivere satira.

Ho fatto qualche ricerca supplementare per vedere se potevo, per caso, essere in grado di portare alla luce tutta l'intervista originale con Mandela, dalla quale quella citazione potrebbe aver avuto origine. La ricerca mi ha portato solo ad un altro articolo di satira dello stesso scrittore, Andy Borowitz, che fu descritto nel numero del 28 Marzo 2005 del Newsweek:

Il Rapporto Borowitz: Il 'Grande Coraggio' di Michael Jackson
    Con Andy Borowitz / 28 Marzo 2005 07:00
    Oggi l'ex presidente sudafricano Nelson Mandela , ha detto che nel corso dei suoi anni di reclusione si è fatto forza pensando a Michael Jackson, aggiungendo che il Re del Pop continua ad essere una fonte di ispirazione per lui.

"Quando sei dietro alle sbarre senza speranza di liberazione, è necessario trovare la forza ovunque sia possibile", ha detto Mandela in un'intervista esclusiva con una rivista danese. "Personalmente, ho trovato la forza in Michael Jackson."

L'ex presidente sudafricano ha detto che durante la sua prigionia nel 1980, trasse sostegno emotivo nel seguire la carriera discografica di Jackson. "C’è voluto coraggio a lasciare i Jackson Five e andare per conto suo", ha detto Mandela. "Pensai a me, se lui aveva avuto il coraggio di farlo, anch'io dovevo avere la volontà di andare avanti."

Ancora oggi, ha detto Mandela, Michael Jackson è "una costante fonte di ispirazione", aggiungendo: "Quando non mi ispiro a Michael Jackson per trovare la forza di andare avanti, lo faccio attraverso Martha Stewart."

Jackson oggi, ha ricevuto parole gentili da un'altra icona internazionale, il pugile Muhammad Ali, che ha detto ad un quotidiano norvegese che anche lui, si ispira all'artista che detiene il maggior numero di dischi di platino per i record di vendite.

"Quando la gente mi chiede da dove io tragga la mia forza, dico loro che guardo Michael Jackson , The Man in The Mirror", ha detto l'ex campione dei pesi massimi.

www.newsweek.com/borowitz-report-mi...-courage-114945

Borowitz menziona una "intervista danese", ma non vi è alcun collegamento a questa fonte e tutte le ricerche mi hanno portato solo a un percorso senza uscita. Sembra probabile che, in realtà, non ci sia mai stata del tutto una tale "fonte", e che questa sia semplicemente una storia inventata allo scopo di prendere in giro Michael e di deridere la sua amicizia con Mandela. Nel marzo del 2005, questo tipo di satira era quotidiana, durante il processo con gli Arvizo (intorno al periodo del famigerato “Pigiama Day") e un periodo in cui la derisione e la satira su Michael Jackson sulla stampa, era decisamente al suo apice e incontrollata.

Se qualcuno è a conoscenza dell'origine di questa "intervista danese" mi piacerebbe saperlo, ma finora non ho trovato nulla. E ora sono un pò preoccupato e inquietato che così tanti fans stiano attribuendo citazioni di Mandela su Michael, e che Mandela non ha mai fatto, non solo, ma che posso aver avuto origine in un articolo di satira che effettivamente stava prendendo in giro la loro amicizia. Spero di essere smentito, ma finché non lo vedo da questa vera e propria "fonte danese" e da chiunque altro che non sia Andy Borowitz, io la definisco una burla.

A Pretoria, Sud Africa 1996:( video.. vedi sopra)

Tuttavia, mi permettetemi di concludere, ricordando tutto quello che è sempre stato detto sulle mentalità povere. Michael Jackson e Nelson Mandela non dovevano dimostrare al mondo cosa volesse dire la loro amicizia, né dovevano spiegazioni.

Né dovevano "dimostrare" il coraggio, la grazia, l'umiltà, e vivere la la loro vita esemplificativa e significativa di per se..

Quando entrambi questi uomini sono morti, il mondo si è fermato e ha pianto, anche se brevemente. Entrambi hanno fatti grandi cose, ed hanno fatto moltissimo per l'umanità, molto più di tutti gli Andy Borowitzes del mondo messi insieme. Bulrle a parte, non mi sorprenderebbe se Nelson Mandela avesse trovato il coraggio e l’ispirazione in Michael, anche se solo attraverso la sua musica. Mandela era un uomo il cui cuore non era stato toccato dalla amarezza, come ha osservato Michael stesso; un uomo che, per tutto quello che aveva passato, ancora amava ballare, ridere e divertirsi. Se non mi credete, vi basterà leggere questo articolo di uno scrittore che ricorda ancora vividamente il giorno in cui vide Nelson Mandela ballare:

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/stephen-hu..._b_3494698.html

Pensate che Madiba, con quella gioia nel suo cuore, non abbia mai ballato alla MJ? Ci potete scommettere il vostro ultimo dollaro che lo ha fatto!Sono uomini che hanno avuto una vita straordinaria; vita che li portati dalla bassezza della povertà e della disperazione, alle altezze della fama mondiale e dell’adorazione. Michael potrebbe aver davvero ispirato moltissimo. Ma quanti di noi, nella nostra vita, potranno mai arrivare a incontrare i nostri eroi, e diventare una famiglia per loro? Michael, come Mandela, potrebbero essere affiancati a presidenti e regine, a Re e Papi, il tutto mantenendo l'innocenza e l’umiltà di spirito che sono rimasti al centro delle loro anime. Mandela può o non può aver mai effettivamente detto, in tante parole, di aver tratto coraggio da Michael in quei giorni bui di carcere. Ma ciò che ha detto, parla molto di più.

Lo ha chiamato suo nipote. Lo ha chiamato la sua famiglia. E a volte, come sappiamo, la parentela è più profonda del sangue.

mandela2

RIP Madiba. Possa il tuo lungo, coraggioso cammino in questa vita raccogliere la sua ricompensa.

A cura di :Armonica Essenza e revisionato e completato da BILLA70 per MJGW

Edited by ArcoIris - 1/4/2018, 03:57

1 replies since 8/12/2014, 08:51   601 views