"The King of Pop"

Group
    Threatened

Status
    Anonymous

Tour Set Dies with Michael Jackson

by Cassandra Wiseman

July 16, 2009
    On a brilliant summer day in Topanga Canyon last month—the morning after Michael Jackson’s sudden death stunned the world—the art director Bernt Capra was walking home up Fernwood Pacific with the slow gait of a man in deep reflection. He was carrying a single manila envelope that he’d just picked up from his post office box. In it were the proof sheets of the latest photographs of the just completed sets that he had designed for the fifty “This Is It” concerts that were supposed to have opened this month at the O2 Arena (The Millennium Dome) in London.

berntpaintingcrop_600
    “I’ve never had a boss die on me before,” said the soft-spoken Capra, shaking his head. Originally from Vienna, but having lived in Topanga since 1980, he seemed almost in a state of shock. At 6’6”, fit and tan from surfing, he has the quiet, dignified mien of a European nobleman. Tristfully, he took out the two sheets of photographs and passed them through the car window. “This is very sad because these sets we designed can only live with Michael performing. Michael Jackson was an original like Elvis. No one can take his place on these sets.”

Capra, who has had a long and remarkable film career, had worked with Michael Jackson from conceptional design to being ready to shoot in just five weeks. “We all were working very hard. There was no margin for error. The week before Michael Jackson died we were done with everything, [except for] the re-shoot with the sets, and that never happened.”

“It really hurts me to think that all this work we did will never be shown. The whole idea to make this concert such a theatrical event was really nice and I don’t think there will be a way for any of us to see it now. It hurts that it won’t ever be seen the way it was supposed to be.”

Capra worked here in Los Angeles with Michael Jackson to turn his design conceptions for the O2 Dome concerts into a reality on the “the biggest four sound stages in the Culver Studios, Culver City, all 235 feet by 150 feet, and 45 feet tall. These were the same stages where they shot the burning of Atlanta in Gone with the Wind.

“This was supposedly the biggest LED (light emitting diode) screen assembled. It was 33 feet tall and 100 feet wide, and so, ...it was to cover the whole stage with a background of videos shot in 3D running the whole time (the audience was supposed to get 3D glasses with their tickets).... and because of the 3D effect those phantom dancers and sets would blend seamlessly with the real dancers live on stage, much like a hologram would, to give the audience an ultimate image.

p1020778_600_watermark
    Capra and his partner worked on the remake of five of Jackson’s videos for the tour: “Thriller,” “The Way You Make Me Feel,” “Smooth Criminal,” “They Don’t Care about Us,” and “Earth Song.”

“I know all the rumors about Michael Jackson but what I can say is that he was the nicest guy to work with—there was no facemask—he always was elegantly dressed, he definitely looked like Michael Jackson—he’d wear a black military style jacket with elaborate golden braiding to rehearsal, a red leather jacket with elaborate embroidery… but Michael was businesslike, very accessible, super polite and incredibly considerate. I had tickets today for the funeral, but I gave them to a friend,” Capra said over the phone, about an hour after the memorial at the Staples Center had ended. “I was hoping to see the sets used. I was in tears when I saw Paris Jackson speak of her father. Michael introduced his children to us when he took them on a tour of the sets. The children were normal children, very happy children and they just wanted to play on the cemetery set and he played with them. He seemed like a natural dad and I am sure that he loved his children and he obviously doted on them.

“His life was obviously a little surreal. When he arrived to work, he’d have to come with heavy security of course. There was an entourage of dark suits, at least four body guards. We even had a code name for the production stages in Culver City – “DOME.” We were the Dome Project. AEG was obviously worried about security. He would arrive in one of the two or three brand new shiny dark Cadillac SUVs that would accompany him to rehearsal. One vehicle for him and the children, one that contained the four bodyguards and sometimes there was a third car just to throw off the paparazzi a little. None of the cars had license plates.

p1020703_600_watermark
    Usually when Michael came to the sets, he was there to work; he just wanted to show us what he was doing and choreograph the dancers on the sets with the show’s choreographer, Travis Payne and with the director, Kenny Ortega, who is also a long-time choreographer. The rehearsals were amazing to watch. I think Michael invented all the moves. Michael defied the laws of nature. From where I stood, which was about 30 feet away from the stage, he looked like he was dancing like he did thirty years ago, he was beautiful to watch. He was so lithe, and his dancing so fluid—there is no one that could dance like this—for me there was no better dancer, not Nureyev, not Fred Astaire.

“One thing you realize when you meet Michael is that he has this natural charisma—I don’t know what to call it really—I don’t know if it’s a chemical reaction, because I’ve worked with Leonardo DiCaprio and Robert DeNiro but working with Michael felt so different from anything I’ve ever experienced. We only had five weeks to go from conception to production, which is so little time for a project like this—but whenever he saw me, he was very considerate of me and the sets and very nice. There was no time to do things over, everything had to be approved and there was no going back. I only saw him for the first time when we were halfway through the construction stages that they had rented for him to rehearse at the Forum.”

Capra got the job through a line producer, “an old friend I happened to be working with at the time, making some viral films for the internet, and he got into this accidentally through another producer that he had worked with before. He couldn’t tell me over the phone what the project was, but when he asked me if I wanted to work with him on something, I said yes, but I didn’t know what it was. So I came in for a meeting with Robb Wagner of Stimulated Incorporated who was in charge of the execution of the whole project (he was also part of the Memorial) and I was introduced to Robb Wagner and Bruce Jones. We sat down at the table for our meeting and I saw that this was a bigger project than I thought.

“Nothing Michael Jackson does is small. Really everything he does is big budget so we were never turned down for anything we asked for but we were told we had to make it happen fast and so everything was always done by the ‘best people’ with a big budget. I worked with the conceptual artist Nicole Loebart and her husband, the art director William Budge. I sat down with her and from photos and ideas she makes these elaborate conceptual drawings on her computer and everything was pretty much approved so we could begin to build the sets.

“Michael Cotton designed the stage and built it. Bruce Jones, co-director in charge of visual effects, was the digital creator, doing the tech parts. The whole concert was like a flamboyant opera performance. The set was conceived like a big musical Broadway show, elaborate, but instead of rebuilding the sets between songs—because Michael wanted the show to be seamless, there would be no time—the sets were these 3D videos we made.”

Capra ordered all of the construction material from Topanga Lumber.

Capra was born in Vienna during World War II. His father was drafted into the war, and when the allies started bombing his mother fled with him to her mother’s farm. He was only one when he left Vienna and stayed on the farm until he went back to get a BA at the University of Vienna. “I was basically a farm boy.” He went

www.topangamessenger.com/story_deta...&ArticleID=3581

Edited by ArcoIris - 22/4/2018, 03:20

Quando tutti intorno a te sono in preda al panico e tu sei perfettamente tranquillo, forse non hai capito qual è il problema

Group
    Dangerous

Status
    Anonymous

IL SET PER IL TOUR MUORE CON MICHAEL JACKSON

di Cassandra Wiseman

In una sfolgorante giornata estiva a Topanga Canyon il mese corso, la mattina dopo che la morte improvvisa di Michael Jackson ha sbalordito il mondo, il direttore artistico Bernt Capra stava camminando verso casa a Fernwood Pacific con il lento incedere di un uomo in profonda riflessione. Aveva una busta che aveva appena preso dalla sua casella postale. C' erano le bozze delle ultime fotografie dei set appena completati che aveva progettato per i cinquanta concerti "This Is It" che avrebbero dovuto cominciare questo mese alla O2 Arena (Il Millennium Dome) di Londra.

"Non mi è mai morto un capo prima," ha detto Capra pacato, scuotendo la testa. Originario di Vienna, ma vive a Topanga dal 1980, sembrava quasi in stato di shock. Quasi 2 metri, in forma e abbronzato dal surf, ha il quieto, fiero portamento di un nobile europeo. Mestamente, tirò fuori due serie di fotografie e le passò attraverso il finestrino della macchina. "Questo è molto triste perché questi set che abbiamo progettato possono vivere solo con Michael che si esibisce. Michael Jackson è stato unico come Elvis. Nessuno può prendere il suo posto in questi set. "

Capra, che ha avuto una carriera cinematografica lunga e notevole, aveva lavorato con Michael Jackson, dalla progettazione concettuale all'essere pronti al debutto in sole cinque settimane. "Abbiamo tutti lavorato molto duramente. Non c'era alcun margine di errore. La settimana prima che Michael Jackson morisse abbiamo fatto tutto, [tranne] una seconda prova con i set, il che non era mai accaduto. "

"Mi fa veramente male pensare che tutto questo lavoro che abbiamo fatto non verrà mai visto. L'idea di fare l'intero concerto come un evento teatrale era davvero bella e non credo che ci sarà modo per nessuno di noi di vederlo ora. Mi fa male che non sarà mai visto come sarebbe stato. "

Capra ha lavorato qui a Los Angeles con Michael Jackson per trasformare in realtà le sue idee di design per i concerti dello O2 Dome nei "quattro più grandi teatri di posa dei Culver Studios, Culver City, tutti di 235 metri per 150 metri e 45 metri di altezza. Questi erano gli stessi teatri in cui hanno girato l'incendio di Atlanta in Via col Vento.

"Questo era forse il più grande schermo a LED (Light Emitting Diode) mai assemblato. Era 33 metri di altezza e largo 100 piedi, e così, ... era per coprire l'intera scena con uno sfondo di video girati in 3D in azione tutto il tempo (il pubblico avrebbe dovuto avere occhiali 3D con i biglietti) .. .. e per l'effetto 3D i ballerini fantasma e i set si sarebbero fusi perfettamente con i ballerini reali dal vivo sul palco, molto più di un ologramma, per dare al pubblico un'immagine eccezionale. "

Capra e il suo partner hanno lavorato al remake di cinque dei video di Jackson per il tour: "Thriller", "The Way You Make Me Feel", "Smooth Criminal", "They Do not Care About Us" e "Earth Song. "

"Conosco tutte le voci su Michael Jackson, ma quello che posso dire è che lui era la persona più bella con cui lavorare, non portava maschere, era sempre elegantemente vestito, e sicuramente sembrava Michael Jackson: indossava una giacca nera stile militare con elaborati calzoni d'oro per le prove, una giacca di pelle rossa con ricami elaborati ... ma Michael era uomo d'affari, molto disponibile, super gentile e incredibilmente premuroso. Ho avuto i biglietti oggi per il funerale, ma li ho dati a un amico ", ha detto Capra al telefono, circa un'ora dopo che il Memorial allo Staples Center era finito. "Speravo di vedere i set utilizzati. Ero in lacrime quando ho visto Paris Jackson parlare di suo padre. Michael ci ha presentato i suoi figli quando li ha portati a vedere i set. I bambini erano bambini normali, bambini molto felici e volevano solo giocare sul set del cimitero e lui ha giocato con loro. Sembrava un padre normale e sono sicuro che lui amava i suoi figli e, ovviamente, stravedeva per loro.

"La sua vita era ovviamente un po 'surreale. Quando arrivava al lavoro, doveva avere molte misure di sicurezza, naturalmente. C'era un entourage di gente in scuro, almeno quattro guardie del corpo. Avevamo anche un nome in codice per le fasi di produzione di Culver City - "DOME." Siamo stati il progetto Dome. AEG era ovviamente preoccupata per la sicurezza. Lui arrivava in una delle due o tre nuovissime lucide SUV Cadillac scure che lo accompagnavano alle prove. Un veicolo per lui e per i bambini, quello che conteneva le quattro guardie del corpo e, a volte c'era una terza vettura solo per distogliere i paparazzi per un po '. Nessuna delle vetture aveva targhe.
    Di solito, quando Michael veniva sul set, era lì per lavorare; voleva mostrarci quello che stava facendo e provare i ballerini sul set con il coreografo dello show, Travis Payne e con il regista, Kenny Ortega, che è anche lui un coreografo da tempo. Le prove erano incredibili da vedere . Penso che Michael abbia inventato tutti i passi. Michael ha sfidato le leggi della natura. Dal punto in cui mi trovavo, a circa 30 metri di distanza dal palco, sembrava che ballasse come faceva 30 anni fa, è stato bello da guardare. Era così agile, e la sua danza così fluida, non c'è nessuno che possa ballare così, per me non c'era ballerino migliore, non Nureyev, non Fred Astaire.

"Una cosa di cui ti rendi conto quando incontri Michael è che ha questo carisma, io non so come chiamarlo davvero, non so se si tratta di una reazione chimica, perché ho lavorato con Leonardo DiCaprio e Robert De Niro ma lavorare con Michael era così diverso da qualsiasi cosa io abbia mai sperimentato. Abbiamo avuto solo cinque settimane per passare dal concepimento alla produzione, un tempo così breve per un progetto come questo, ma ogni volta che mi vedeva, lui era molto premuroso con me e il set era molto bello. Non c'era tempo per fare le cose, tutto doveva essere approvato e non c'era modo di tornare indietro. La prima volta l'ho visto quando eravamo a metà strada della costruzione dei set che avevano affittato per provare al Forum. "

Capra ha avuto il lavoro attraverso un produttore, "un vecchio amico con cui lavoravo in quel momento, facendo alcuni film virali per internet, ed è capitato in questo casualmente attraverso un altro produttore con cui aveva lavorato prima. Lui non poteva dirmi al telefono che progetto fosse, e quando mi ha chiesto se volevo lavorare con lui su qualcosa, ho detto di sì, ma non sapevo cosa fosse. Così sono andato ad un incontro con Robb Wagner di Stimulated Incorporated, che era responsabile dell'esecuzione dell'intero progetto (è stato anche parte del Memorial) e sono stato presentato a Robb Wagner e Bruce Jones. Ci siamo seduti al tavolo per l'incontro e ho visto che si trattava di un progetto più grande di quello che pensavo.

"Niente di Michael Jackson è piccolo. Davvero tutto ciò che fa è a grande budget, così non ci hanno mai negato tutto ciò che abbiamo chiesto, ma ci hanno detto che dovevamo essere veloci e quindi tutto veniva sempre fatto dalle "persone migliori" con un grosso budget. Ho lavorato con l'artista concettuale Nicole Loebart e suo marito, il direttore artistico William Budge. Mi sedetti con lei e con foto e idee lei ha realizzato questi elaborati disegni concettuali sul suo computer e tutto è stato approvato, quindi abbiamo potuto cominciare a costruire i set.

"Michael Cotton ha progettato il palco e l'ha costruito. Bruce Jones, co-direttore responsabile degli effetti visivi, è stato il creatore digitale, facendo le parti tech. L'intero concerto era come la rappresentazione di un'opera baroccheggiante. Il set è stato concepito come un grande elaborato musical di Broadway, ma invece di ricostruire i set tra le canzoni, perché Michael voleva che lo show fosse senza soluzione di continuità e non ci sarebbe stato tempo, i set sono stati questi video in 3D che abbiamo fatto. "

Capra ha ordinato tutto il materiale da costruzione da Topanga Lumber.

Capra è nato a Vienna durante la seconda guerra mondiale. Suo padre era stato richiamato in guerra, e quando gli alleati hanno cominciato a bombardare la madre fuggì con lui alla fattoria di sua madre. Aveva solo un anno quando lasciò Vienna ed è rimasto in campagna fino a quando non è tornato per laurearsi presso l'Università di Vienna. "Ero fondamentalmente un ragazzo di campagna."

Edited by ArcoIris - 22/4/2018, 03:21

1 replies since 1/12/2014, 23:03   267 views