Ascesa, caduta e rinascita di un impero di miliardi di dollari - Zack O’Malley Greenburg

The Rise, Fall, and Rebirth of a billion dollar empire

« Older   Newer »

1. Valerie77

"The King of Pop"

Group
    Threatened

Status
    Anonymous

Infographic: Michael Jackson's Multibillion Dollar Career Earnings, Listed Year By Year

by Zack O'Malley Greenburg

Michael Jackson’s latest posthumous album, Xscape, debuted earlier this month with opening week sales of 157,000, landing at No. 2 on the Billboard albums chart. That will undoubtedly fatten the total amount the King of Pop has raked in since his death—well over $700 million in the past five years.

But Jackson earned far more than that during his life, thanks both to his musical prowess and his far less celebrated business savvy. In addition to releasing the best-selling album of all time and grossing hundreds of millions of the road, Jackson paved the way for modern musician-moguls by launching his own sneakers, clothes, video games and other ventures.

His lifetime total: $1.1 billion, or just shy of $2 billion when accounting for inflation. Add adjusted posthumous figures, and the number soars to nearly $3 billion.

“He was extremely smart,” says rapper-actor-entrepreneur Christopher “Ludacris” Bridges. “From my perspective, because I’m business-oriented and savvy, I noticed and even read up on everything he did.”

Jackson helped create a fundamental shift in the monetization of fame, and that’s the notion at the core of my book, Michael Jackson, Inc, the first business-focused biography of the King of Pop, which will be published on June 3rd by Simon & Schuster’s Atria imprint.

At the end of the book is a table of annual earnings estimates for Jackson’s entire adult solo career, formulated by talking to over 100 entertainment industry insiders over the course of two years. But today, FORBES readers get a sneak peek at that research.

Highlights include the $134 million he made in the two years after the release of Thriller (an inflation-adjusted $306 million), the $125 million he banked in 1988 at the height of the Bad Tour (an inflation-adjusted $247 million), and the $118 million he earned in 1995 after scoring a nine-figure payout for merging his ATV publishing catalogue with Sony ’s own (an inflation-adjusted $181 million).

“He had good instincts . . . more, more, more; better, better, better,” says manager Sandy Gallin, who managed Jackson for much of the 1990s. “He would, in his mind, negotiate the same way. No matter what anybody would offer, he wanted more.”

Jackson’s earnings prowess was so great that, even after child molestation allegations rocked his career in 1993, he recovered and had one of his best years ever in 1995. But after a second round of accusations turned into a lengthy trial in 2005, the King of Pop was unable to regain his peak financial form—in his lifetime, that is.

Only after his sudden death in 2009 did Jackson once again start earning nine-figure sums annually. The executors of his estate scored a whopping $250 million new record deal from Sony, released concert film This Is It (which grossed over $260 million), and launched two Cirque du Soleil shows.

Jackson’s gaudy postmortem totals were also boosted significantly by earnings from the assets he accumulated in life—namely, the Sony/ATV publishing catalogue that contains the copyrights to most of the Beatles’ biggest hits, as well as other songs by the likes of Lady Gaga, Eminem and Taylor Swift.

Today, Jackson’s heirs still own half of that company, worth about $2 billion, through his estate. The King of Pop purchased the catalogue’s core in 1985 for $47.5 million, and it adds tens of millions to his bottom line every year.

“He had a kid’s heart, but a mind of a genius,” Berry Gordy told me in an interview for Michael Jackson, Inc. “He was so loving and soft-spoken, and a thinker. . . . He wanted to do everything, and he was capable. You can only do so much in a lifetime.”

www.forbes.com/sites/zackomalleygre...d-year-by-year/
    ---------

I Guadagni della Carriera Multimiliardaria di Michael Jackson, Quotati Anno per Anno

di Zack O'Malley Greenburg

L'ultimo album di Michael Jackson postumo, Xscape, ha debuttato all'inizio di questo mese, con l'apertura della settimana di vendite di 157.000, atterrando al numero 2 della classifica dei Billboard album. Che senza dubbio andrà ad ingrossare l'importo totale che il Re del Pop ha rastrellato dopo la sua morte, oltre 700 milioni di dollari negli ultimi cinque anni.

Ma Jackson ha guadagnato molto di più che durante la sua vita, sia grazie alla sua abilità musicale e la sua molto meno celebre esperienza negli affari. Oltre a rilasciare l'album best-seller di tutti i tempi e aver incassato centinaia di milioni della strada, Jackson ha spianato la via per i moderni musicisti-magnati lanciando le sue scarpe da ginnastica, vestiti, videogiochi e altre imprese.

La sua tenuta complessiva: 1,1 miliardi di dollari, o poco meno di 2 miliardi di dollari nella contabilizzazione per l'inflazione. Aggiungi figure postume regolari, e il numero di vendite a quasi $ 3 miliardi.

"Era estremamente intelligente" dice il rapper - attore - imprenditore Christopher " Ludacris " Bridges. "Dal mio punto di vista, perché sono orientato al business e di buon senso, l'ho notato e addirittura ho letto di tutto ciò che ha fatto."

Jackson ha contribuito a creare un cambiamento fondamentale nella monetizzazione della fama, e questo è il concetto alla base del mio libro, Michael Jackson, Inc, la prima biografia focalizzata sul business del Re del Pop, che sarà pubblicato il 3 giugno da Simon & Atria edita da Schuster .

Alla fine del libro c'è una tabella di stime annuali dei guadagni per tutta la carriera adulta da solista di Jackson, formulata parlando con oltre 100 addetti del settore dell'intrattenimento nel corso di due anni. Ma oggi, i lettori di FORBES ottengono una sbirciata su tale ricerca.

Nella foto: Guadagni della carriera di Michael Jackson, quotate anno per anno

Importanti sono anche il $ 134.000.000 fatti nei due anni dopo l'uscita di Thriller (un netto dell'inflazione di $ 306.000.000), i 125 milioni dollari incassati nel 1988 al culmine del Bad Tour ( un netto dell'inflazione di $ 247.000.000 ), e i 118 milioni dollari conseguiti nel 1995, dopo aver segnato un nove cifre di vincita per fondere il suo catalogo editoriale ATV col proprio di Sony (un netto dell'inflazione $ 181.000.000).

"Ha avuto un buon istinto ... di più, di più, di più; meglio, meglio, meglio" dice il direttore di Sandy Gallin, che ha gestito Jackson per gran parte degli anni '90. "Avrebbe, nella sua mente, negoziato allo stesso modo. Non importa quello che chiunque avrebbe offerto, lui voleva di più."

I guadagni delle prodezze di Jackson erano così grandi che, anche dopo le accuse di molestie su minori che hanno scosso la sua carriera nel 1993, ha recuperato e ha avuto uno dei suoi anni migliori in assoluto nel 1995. Ma dopo un secondo turno di accuse trasformato in un lungo processo, nel 2005, il Re di Pop non è riuscito a ritrovare il picco della sua forma finanziaria della vita che fu.

Solo dopo la sua morte improvvisa nel 2009 Jackson ha ancora una volta cominciato a guadagnare somme a nove cifre ogni anno. Gli esecutori della sua proprietà hanno ottenuto un enorme nuovo contratto discografico da $ 250.000.000 dalla Sony, realizzato il film concerto This Is It (che ha incassato oltre $ 260.000.000), e ha lanciato due show Cirque du Soleil.

Gli sgargianti totali post-mortem di Jackson, hanno significativamente beneficiato anche dai proventi derivanti dalle attività accumulate nella vita, cioè il catalogo editoriale ATV/ Sony che contiene i diritti d'autore per la maggior parte dei più grandi successi dei Beatles, così come altre canzoni del calibro di Lady Gaga, Eminem e Taylor Swift .

Oggi, gli eredi di Jackson possiedono ancora la metà di tale società, del valore di circa $ 2 miliardi, attraverso la sua Estate. Il Re del Pop ha acquistato il nucleo del catalogo nel 1985 per 47,5 milioni dollari, e aggiunge decine di milioni di dollari per la sua linea di fondo di ogni anno.

"Aveva il cuore di un bambino, ma una mente di genio", mi ha detto Berry Gordy in un'intervista per Michael Jackson, Inc. "Era così amorevole e pacato, e un pensatore .... Voleva fare tutto, e lui ne era capace. Si può solo fare tanto nella vita. "

Traduzione di BILLA70

6 replies since 25/6/2013, 01:49   716 views