Bruce Swedien - "Memorie su Michael" (2009)

di Dean Blinkhorn

« Older   Newer »

"The King of Pop"

Group
    Dangerous

Status
    Anonymous
    Memories of Michael

Grammy-winning engineer Bruce Swedien, who owns a small horse farm in Ocala, shares his 20 most personal recollections of the beloved-and controversial-King of Pop.
    By Dean Blinkhorn - Tuesday, December 01, 2009

4UTFVFG

Bruce Swedien looks about as far removed from the high-pressure world of Top 40 radio as you can get. A quiet man with silver hair, a simple wardrobe, and a bit of a sweet tooth, Bruce could pass for your grandfather if you saw him roaming the concourse of the Paddock Mall. But looks can be very deceiving.

You see, Bruce is one of the best sound engineers in all of music history, and he has the Grammys—5 in all—to prove it. But beyond all the technical details of a five-decade career in the music industry (see sidebar), Bruce remembers the stories, especially those of the artist he recorded more than any other—Michael Jackson.

7S8GiS6

Bruce collaborated with Michael through the singer’s early solo hits until his untimely death earlier this year and remembers a rarely seen side of the reclusive artist. To the ever-gracious Bruce, the enigmatic singer should be remembered for far more than the underage sleep-overs, the Elephant Man’s bones, the hyperbaric chamber, or even the generation-defining dancing. To him, Michael will go down in history as the “ultimate musician.”

These are his stories.

1. The Cordial Superstar
    “It’s very important to me that the public understands that the Michael I knew was very different than the one they think they know. I’ve never met the Michael that they talk about in the press. The real Michael is the ultimate in politeness and kindness, with a real passion for his art. He always said ‘please’ and ‘thank you’ in an industry where you never hear those words. He got that from his mother.”

2. A Rockin’ New Vocal Technique
    “When we were recording ‘Rock With You’ for the Off The Wall album, I wanted the drums to have their own unique space. After thinking about it for some time, the only answer was to have the studio carpenters build me a drum platform—eight feet square, ten inches off the floor, heavily constructed, braced, and counterbraced. Not long after, I put Michael on my drum platform to record his vocals. I used the unpainted plywood surface to reflect Michael’s voice back to the microphone. Keeping the platform unpainted maintains a surface as porous as possible, to keep some reflective surface in the sound field. I’ve been using it for his vocals ever since.”

3. An Impromptu Party
    “When I finished mixing ‘The Girl Is Mine,’ it was about eight in the evening. I was busy making safety copies of the 1/2-inch mix master in the control room when I turned around and saw all of Fleetwood Mac—Mick Fleetwood, Stevie Nicks, Lindsey Buckingham, and Christine and John McVie. Christine smiled and said to me, ‘We hear you’re making a hit record over here. May we hear it?’ At that moment, I noticed that about a hundred people—the most famous music people that you could imagine including Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr—had quietly come in while I was busy. I played them the master mix for the next three hours and they were having a great time. Michael hid with me in the control room, but he had a huge smile on his face.”

uVlLcNq
    4. How Low Can You Go?
    “I was in the studio one day making a special mix of ‘The Way You Make Me Feel’ for one of my seminars when I had a brainstorm. I put in Michael’s big-block vocal harmony chorus, which knocks you against the wall. Michael said, ‘Wow! Call Epic and tell them to put your mix out, exactly like this, as a dance record.’ It went to number one on the dance charts and stayed there for three weeks.
    Then the owner of a popular dance club in Frankfurt called me and said, in a thick German accent, ‘You owe me eight woofers!’ It seems that one of my huge low notes had knocked out eight of his very expensive subwoofers—on the very first note!”

5. All Michael, All The Time
    “Of course, Michael sings all the backgrounds himself. Michael is such an expert at doubling his backgrounds and other vocal parts that he even doubles his vibrato rate perfectly. His pitch is flawless! Next, I’ll have him double the same track at the same position at the mic. After that track, I’ll have him step back two paces and record a third pass of the same melody. Blended with the first two tracks, this has a wonderful effect, tricking the ear into perceiving a depth of field that isn’t really there.”

Kxn4tzw

6. The Crying Game
    “When we were recording Michael’s vocal [on ‘She’s Out Of My Life’], he cried at the end of every take. When we finished the last take—we recorded about six or seven—Michael was too embarrassed to come into the control room. He just tip-toed out the back door, got in his car, and left the building.”

7. A Flash Of Brilliance
    “I clearly remember one rather interesting event that happened while we were working at Westlake’s beautiful Studio D on Beverly Boulevard in Hollywood. A young lady walked slowly by the front window of the studio, made of a one-way glass facing the sidewalk and the street. All of a sudden, while we were watching, she pulled her dress high above her head. She was wearing absolutely nothing underneath! [Producer] Quincy [Jones], [songwriter] Rod [Temperton], and I turned around and there was Michael, devoted Jehovah’s Witness and all, hiding behind the mixing console, getting an eyeful.”

SFrKWJo
    8. No Cue Sheet Needed
    “Michael was such a dedicated artist that he would stay up the night before a recording session to learn the lyrics from memory so he could record in the dark. That’s not the norm, especially nowadays. The newer artists don’t seem to care as much, but Michael’s easy to deal with in the studio. For instance, when we record vocals, there are seldom more than five or six takes. Michael is always totally prepared.”

9. The Kid Is Not My Son
    “‘Billie Jean’ was a true story. There was a little gal that climbed over the wall of Michael’s house and was out there lounging by the pool. She eventually accused Michael of being the father of one of her twins.”

10. A Thrilling Finish
    “In those days, the principal medium was the LP and the more playing time, the less physical volume, minimizing the sonic impact of the music. When we played back the Thriller album, I saw Michael sneak out of the control room and go to the other studio. Quincy saw him too and followed him. I was next. I remember that Michael was crying—he was heartbroken. I felt like saying, ‘I told you so,’ but Quincy came to the rescue. He told Epic that the album wasn’t ready and that they’d need another eight days, one for each song, to edit them down so they’d sound better. We had to get the sides down to 20 minutes each, although the second side was still a little long, so I got smart and put all the loud songs, which take the most physical space, on side one. The rest is history. By October 1984, Thriller had sold 120 million copies in the U.S. alone and remains the biggest-selling album to this day.”

m2NiNtx

11. The Doggone Truth
    “For me, the centerpiece of Thriller is the title song, a definite study in contrasts and layers. I used an entire 24-track reel just to build the spooky intro! Originally, I wanted ‘Max,’ my Great Dane who weighed 200 pounds, to be the wolf, but he didn’t want to be. We worked for days. We put Max out by the barn to listen to the coyotes… nothing happened. So Michael said, ‘I’ll do the wolf.’ And he did.”

12. From One Star To Another
    “Do you know what his favorite song in life was? Charlie Chaplin’s ‘Smile.’ I recorded it with Michael singing live with the New York Philharmonic on the HIStory album.”

13. Have You Seen My Childhood?
    “That song [‘Childhood’] was gorgeous, just beautiful. When we finished recording, Michael asked me if he could go out in the studio and meet the orchestra. They gave him a standing ovation. Every member of the 50-piece orchestra stood up and tapped their music stands with their bows as loud as they could. Michael was thrilled.”

14. Who’s Bad?
    “I love Prince. He was going to do a duet with Michael, ‘Bad,’ so he came and we recorded a scratch track, but I don’t know what happened. It couldn’t have been money, because it would’ve sold so many copies that that wouldn’t have been a problem. Anyway, when Prince left the studio, he turned to all of us in the control room and said, ‘Even if I’m not on this song, it’s going to be a big hit.’ He was right.”

d5nyIsU
    15. All In The Family
    “I made myself scarce when it came to the rest of the family because they could be a handful. His father, Joe, was not a nice man. But, you can say this—Joe instilled in Michael a strong work ethic. Janet’s a nice girl and the most like Michael of all the siblings. When I first started working with Michael, they used to say that Janet and Michael were one and the same. Isn’t that terrible? He did ‘Scream’ just to prove people wrong.”

16. Daddy Daycare
    “The kids loved their daddy. I spent a lot of time with them and they’re good little kids. We were working at the Hit Factory in New York and Michael was changing diapers, doing all the things you would not expect him to be doing. The kids were just thrilled whenever they saw him.”

17. Not Allowed To Phone Home
    “Walter Yetnikoff [CBS Records president] was a rough dude. I did a recording with Michael, E.T.: The Storybook Album, but Walter wouldn’t let it come out. Michael was just brokenhearted. It was beautiful.”

18. He Wants To Be The One In Control
    “Starting with Dangerous, I had a feeling that Michael wanted to be in charge of everything, so that’s when Quincy left the project. That’s why I don’t think you’ll hear any better music than what’s on Thriller.”

19. A Perplexing Playback
    “Michael hates doing playback sessions, where we play the new album mixes for the record label bigwigs. Michael’s then-managers talked him into attending the one held for the Sony executives to hear the HIStory album for the first time at Larrabee North Studios in Hollywood. When the last note sounded, all these geniuses from the label simply got up and left the studio without saying a word. No applause, no comment, no reaction. Michael said to me, with tears in his eyes, ‘I’ll never do this again.’”

20. An Unheard Masterpiece?
    “I recorded a song with Michael, ‘Don’t Be Messin’ Around,’ one of my favorites, and it’s never been released. His passion for the music was unlimited.”

Source: www.ocalastyle.com/styleadmin/newsa...=1735&zoneid=34

Edited by ArcoIris - 20/6/2017, 00:42

"The King of Pop"

Group
    Dangerous

Status
    Anonymous
    Bruce Swedien - "Memorie su Michael"
    Dean Blinkhorn
    Dicembre 2009

4UTFVFGl

L'ingegnere del suono vincitore di Grammy Bruce Swedien, che possiede una piccola fattoria con i cavalli ad Ocala (località in Florida, dove è pubblicata la rivista da cui è tratto l'articolo, ndt), condivide i suoi 20 ricordi più personali dell'amato e controverso Re del Pop.

Bruce Swedien sembra molto lontano dal mondo ad alta pressione della Top 40 radio. Un uomo tranquillo, con i capelli d'argento, un guardaroba semplice e un sorriso dolce, Bruce potrebbe passare per vostro nonno, vendendolo vagabondare nell'atrio del Paddock Mall. Ma lo sguardo può essere molto ingannevole.

Vedete, Bruce è uno dei migliori tecnici del suono in tutta la storia della musica, e ha i Grammy - 5 in tutto - per dimostrarlo. Ma al di là di tutti i dettagli tecnici di una carriera di cinque decenni nel settore della musica, Bruce ricorda le storie, soprattutto quelle dell'artista con cui ha registrato più di ogni altro, Michael Jackson.

Bruce ha collaborato con Michael dalle hit di esordio nella carriera solista del cantante fino alla sua prematura scomparsa all'inizio di quest'anno, e ricorda un lato dell'artista solitario visto raramente. Per il sempre cortese Bruce, l'enigmatico cantante dovrebbe essere ricordato per molto di più che il dormire con i minorenni, le ossa di Elephant Man, la camera iperbarica, o anche la danza che definisce la generazione. Per lui, Michael passerà alla storia come il "musicista supremo".

Queste sono le sue storie.

1. La superstar cordiale

"E' molto importante per me che il pubblico capisca che il Michael che conoscevo era molto diverso da quello che pensano di conoscere. Non ho mai incontrato il Michael di cui si parla nella stampa. Il vero Michael è il massimo in termini di cortesia e gentilezza, con una vera passione per la sua arte. Diceva sempre 'per favore' e 'grazie' in un settore dove non si sentono mai quelle parole. Ha preso da sua madre".

2. Una nuova tecnica vocale

"Quando stavamo registrando 'Rock With You' per l'album Off The Wall, volevo che la batteria avesse un proprio spazio. Dopo averci pensato per un po', l'unica soluzione era quella che i falegnami dello studio mi costruissero una piattaforma per la batteria di tre metri quadrati, alta 25 cm dal pavimento, molto solida e rinforzata. Non molto tempo dopo, misi Michael sulla mia piattaforma per registrare la sua voce. Usai la superficie non verniciata del compensato per riverberare la voce di Michael verso il microfono. Tenere la piattaforma non verniciata conserva una superficie più porosa possibile, per mantenere della superficie riflettente nel campo acustico. Da allora l'ho usata per la sua voce".

3. Un gruppo estemporaneo

"Quando finii di mixare 'The Girl Is Mine' erano circa le otto di sera. Ero impegnato a fare le copie di sicurezza del master nella sala controllo, quando mi girai e vidi tutti i Fleetwood Mac - Mick Fleetwood, Stevie Nicks, Lindsey Buckingham, e Christine e John McVie. Christine sorrise e mi disse: 'Abbiamo sentito che stai facendo un disco di successo qui. Possiamo sentire?'. In quel momento mi accorsi che circa un centinaio di persone - le più famose persone della musica che si possa immaginare, tra cui Paul McCartney e Ringo Starr - erano tranquillamente entrati mentre ero occupato. Feci sentire loro il master per le successive tre ore e lo apprezzarono molto. Michael si nascose con me nella sala controllo, ma aveva un grande sorriso sul suo volto".

4. Quanto puoi andare in basso

(ovviamente parla di note basse, ndt)?
    "Un giorno ero in studio a fare un mix speciale di 'The Way You Make Me Feel' per uno dei miei seminari quando ebbi un'ispirazione improvvisa. Misi al massimo della potenza il coro vocale di Michael, che ti sbatte contro il muro. Michael disse: 'Wow! Chiama la Epic e dì loro di far uscire il tuo mix, esattamente così, come un disco dance'. Andò al numero uno delle classifiche dance e ci rimase per tre settimane. Poi il proprietario di un popolare dance club di Francoforte mi chiamò e disse, con un forte accento tedesco, 'Mi devi otto woofer!'. Sembra che una delle mie enormi note basse avesse buttato giù otto dei suoi subwoofer molto costosi – proprio la prima nota!".

5. Tutto Michael, per tutto il tempo

"Naturalmente, Michael stesso canta tutte le voci in sottofondo. Michael è così esperto nel raddoppiare il sottofondo e le altre parti vocali che raddoppia anche perfettamente la sua frequenza di vibrato. La sua intonazione è impeccabile! Il passo successivo è lui che doppierà la stessa traccia nella stessa posizione al microfono. Dopo questa traccia, andrà indietro di due passi e registrerà un terzo passaggio della stessa melodia. Amalgamato con le prime due tracce viene fuori un effetto meraviglioso, che inganna l'orecchio facendo percepire una profondità di campo che in realtà non c'è".

6. Le lacrime

"Quando stavamo registrando la parte vocale di Michael [su 'She's Out Of My Life'], lui piangeva alla fine di ogni registrazione. Finita l'ultima registrazione – ne abbiamo fatte circa sei o sette - Michael era troppo imbarazzato per entrare in sala controllo. Uscì in punta di piedi dalla porta sul retro, entrò nella sua auto, e lasciò l'edificio".

7. Un lampo di brillantezza

"Mi ricordo chiaramente un episodio piuttosto interessante che è successo mentre stavamo lavorando nel bellissimo Studio D di Westlake, sul Beverly Boulevard a Hollywood. Una giovane donna camminava lentamente davanti alla finestra anteriore dello studio, che consentiva di vedere solo dall'interno verso il marciapiede e la strada. Tutto ad un tratto, mentre stavamo guardando, si tirò il vestito sopra la testa. Non indossava assolutamente nulla sotto! Io, [il produttore] Quincy [Jones] e [l'autore] Rod [Temperton] ci siamo girati e c'era Michael, devoto Testimone di Geova, che, nascosto dietro il mixer, si riempiva gli occhi con la visione!".

8. Non serviva nessun foglio con il segnale di inizio

"Michael era un artista così dedito alla sua arte che restava sveglio la notte prima di una sessione di registrazione per imparare i testi a memoria, in modo da poter registrare al buio. Questa non è la norma, soprattutto al giorno d'oggi. Gli artisti più recenti non sembrano curarsene così tanto, ma con Michael era facile trattare in studio. Per esempio, quando registravamo la voce, c'erano raramente più di cinque o sei registrazioni. Michael è sempre totalmente preparato".

9. Il bambino non è mio figlio

"'Billie Jean era una storia vera. C'era una ragazza che scavalcò il muro di casa di Michael e si mise sdraiata a bordo piscina. Poi accusò Michael di essere il padre di uno dei suoi gemelli".

10. Un finale emozionante

"In quei giorni, il mezzo principale era l'LP (stiamo parlando di vinile, ovviamente, ndt) e per avere più quantità di tempo registrato (praticamente un album più lungo in termini di minuti, ndt) bisognava ridurre il volume fisico, cioè ridurre al minimo l'impatto sonoro della musica. Quando riascoltammo l'album Thriller, vidi Michael sgattaiolare fuori dalla sala controllo e andare all'altro studio. Anche Quincy lo vide e lo seguì. Io ero dietro. Mi ricordo che Michael stava piangendo, era addolorato. Stavo per dire 'te l'avevo detto', ma Quincy venne in soccorso. Disse alla Epic che l'album non era ancora pronto e che avevano bisogno di altri otto giorni, uno per ogni canzone, per rieditarle e renderle migliori. Abbiamo dovuto snellire i due lati del disco fino a 20 minuti ciascuno, anche se il secondo lato era ancora un po' lungo, così mi feci furbo e misi tutte le canzoni alte, che prendono più spazio fisico, sul lato uno. Il resto è storia. Entro l'ottobre 1984, Thriller aveva venduto 120 milioni di copie nei soli Stati Uniti (forse al giornalista è partito uno zero di troppo: Thriller alla fine del 1984 aveva venduto 33 milioni di copie in tutto il mondo, ndt) e rimane l'album più venduto fino ad oggi".

11. La verità sul “Doggone”

(la traduzione letterale sarebbe "maledetto", praticamente è il termine "politicamente corretto" per "goddamn", ma visto l'argomento dell'aneddoto l'ho lasciato fra virgolette, ndt)
    "Per me, il fulcro di “Thriller” è il brano del titolo, uno studio preciso di contrasti e di strati. Ho usato una bobina intera da 24 tracce solo per costruire l'intro spaventosa! Originariamente volevo che 'Max', il mio alano che pesava 90 chili, facesse il lupo, ma lui non lo voleva fare. Abbiamo lavorato per giorni. Abbiamo messo Max vicino al fienile perché ascoltasse i coyote... non successe niente. Così Michael disse: 'Farò io il lupo'. E lo fece".

12. Da una stella all'altra

"Sapete qual era la sua canzone preferita? 'Smile' di Charlie Chaplin. L'ho registrata con Michael che cantava dal vivo con la Filarmonica di New York nell'album HIStory".

13. Hai visto la mia infanzia?

"Quella canzone ['Childhood'] era splendida, semplicemente bellissima. Quando finimmo di registrare, Michael mi chiese se poteva andare in studio e incontrare l'orchestra. Gli fecero una standing ovation. Tutti i membri dell'orchestra di 50 elementi si alzarono e iniziarono a battere sui loro leggii con gli archetti più forte che potevano. Michael era entusiasta".

14. Who's Bad?

"Amo Prince. Stava per fare un duetto con Michael, 'Bad', così venne e registrammo una traccia di partenza, ma non so cosa sia successo. Non deve essere stato per i soldi, perché avrebbe venduto così tante copie che quello non sarebbe stato un problema. In ogni caso, quando Prince lasciò lo studio, si rivolse a tutti noi nella sala controllo e disse: 'Anche se non sono su questa canzone, sarà un grande successo'. Aveva ragione".

15. Tutto in famiglia

"Me la svignavo quando si trattava del resto della famiglia, perché poteva essere difficile trattarci. Suo padre, Joe, non era un uomo simpatico. Ma, si può dire che Joe aveva instillato in Michael una forte etica del lavoro. Janet è una ragazza bella e la più simile a Michael di tutti i fratelli. Quando ho iniziato a lavorare con Michael, si diceva che Janet e Michael erano la stessa persona. Non è terribile? Ha fatto 'Scream' solo per dimostrare che la gente sbagliava".

16. Il papà asilo

"I bambini amavano il loro papà. Ho passato un sacco di tempo con loro e sono dei bravi ragazzini. Stavamo lavorando alla Hit Factory di New York e Michael cambiava i pannolini, faceva tutte le cose che non ti aspettavi facesse. I bambini erano entusiasti ogni volta che lo vedevano".

17. Non è consentito telefonare a casa

"Walter Yetnikoff [presidente della CBS Records] era un un uomo duro. Ho fatto una registrazione con Michael, 'E.T.: The Storybook Album', ma Walter non l'ha pubblicato. A Michael si spezzò il cuore. Era bellissimo".

18 . Vuole essere colui che ha il controllo

"A partire da Dangerous, ho avuto la sensazione che Michael volesse essere responsabile di tutto, ed è in quel momento che Quincy ha abbandonato il progetto. Ecco perché non credo che si sentirà musica migliore di quella che è in Thriller".

19. Un imbarazzante riproduzione

"Michael odia fare le sessioni di riproduzione, dove si fa sentire il nuovo album ai pezzi grossi della casa discografica. Il manager di allora di Michael lo convinse ad essere presente a quella tenuta per far ascoltare ai dirigenti Sony l'album HIStory per la prima volta ai Larrabee Studios di North Hollywood. Quando suonò l'ultima nota, tutti questi geni dalla casa discografica semplicemente si alzarono e lasciarono lo studio senza dire una parola. Nessun applauso, nessun commento, nessuna reazione. Michael mi disse, con le lacrime agli occhi, 'Non lo farò mai più'".

20. Un capolavoro non ascoltato?

"Ho registrato una canzone con Michael, 'Don't Be Messin' Around', una delle mie preferite, e non è mai stata pubblicata. La sua passione per la musica era senza limiti".

Traduzione: 4everMJJ - MJSFansquare forum

1 replies since 19/6/2017, 08:05   206 views