« Older   Newer »

"The King of Pop"

Group
    Dangerous

Status
    Anonymous

Michael Sutton - Composer of "Cinderella Stay Awhile"

[...]
    You contributed to Michael Jackson's Motown career with your song 'Cinderella Stay Awhile.' How did that song come about and how did it get chosen for Michael's album?

At Motown, we were all in and out of the different studios, and I would see the Jackson 5 coming in and out a lot. Sometimes they would be doing a photo shoot there and other times they would be recording in one of the studios. The two Jacksons that I got to know the most were Jermaine and Michael. I worked with Jermaine at Motown, but I met Michael first. I saw Michael at the studio several times and in the halls of Motown, but at that time early on, I never knew that I would get to work directly with him.

One of the big producer's at the time was Hal Davis and he wrote a lot of great Jackson 5 hits. Anyways, Hal was working in the studio with Michael on his fourth solo album, which became Forever, Michael, and during that time, I came to play some songs for him. With what I played for him at the time, he wasn’t too crazy about them, but that was okay. During that time, Suzanne de Passe and Berry Gordy were very impressed with my writing abilities, so they connected me with songwriter Mack David. Mack's passed away since then, but he’s the one who wrote the original lyrics for the Disney theme to ‘Cinderella.’

Well, during the time Michael was working on Forever, Michael, Mack had just signed on as a writer with Jobete, a division of Motown. So Suzanne said to me, ‘Michael, I’d like you to meet Mack and see if you can both come up with something for Michael Jackson.’ I said to her, ‘Sure!’ After that introduction, Mack and I made plans. He and I got together at my house, and we sat down at the piano and played this certain melody. I remember Mack saying, ‘I love that melody.’ He leaned over on my pool table and started writing down ideas.
    He asked me, ‘What do you think about this? You know I wrote the original stuff for Disney, right?’ I said, ‘Yeah, I know.’ He said to me, ‘What do you think about Cinderella Stay Awhile?' I said, ‘I love it.’ And the rest is history. He wrote the lyrics and I took it into Hal Davis, and he just flipped out over it. When they played it for Michael, he loved it too. We set up studio time and had fun recording it.

What are some unique studio memories you have with Michael during the recording session?

Michael was 16 years old at the time when we recorded the song. He had a production assistant named Suzee Ikeda and she would always be with him in the studio to make sure producers treated him right. At this time, this was when Michael was really starting to get influenced with his own ideas, too. Well, I remember for ‘Cinderella Stay While,’ he had some ideas that he wanted to try, but Hal didn’t like them. It was so funny because every time Hal would turn around with his back facing Michael, Michael would make these faces at him! He would make these funny faces at him and I would crack up.

Motown had a lot of control over the music, but how would you define Michael's creativity in the studio at that time?

Michael came up with this idea for the end of the song. Actually, he came up with all different ideas for the song and Hal kept saying, ‘No, no. I don’t like that.’ So Michael would make a face and Suzee would say, ‘Oh, come on, Hal. Let him try it.’ Hal was very set in his ways with the music. You know, [Hal] had a lot of hits, so he knew what he was talking about when it came to music.
    But it was even clear to me when we were all in the studio that Michael had a lot of ideas of his own as well. He was hearing ideas in his head that would go well with the song, that I don’t think were understood at the time. But, I could hear what he was talking about when he was describing what he wanted to try. At one point I said, ‘Why don’t we try it.’ So if you listen closely to the end of the song, and nobody knows this, but at the end of the background of ‘Cinderella Stay Awhile,’ Michael wanted to do this counter melody.
    When you hear the background singers sing the lyrics at the end, ‘Cinderella, I wanna be your fella!,’ underneath that, Michael is saying, ‘You’re the one that makes my dreams come true! I just wanna spend my life with you!’ It’s very subtle, but if you listen at the very end of the song when it starts to go to the background during the final chorus, that’s what he’s saying, and those spoken lyrics were his own idea.
    ​[...]
    Full Interview : http://michaeljacksonreel.weebly.com/michael-sutton.html

Qq8sqhl

Michael Sutton - Compositore di "Cinderella Stay Awhile"

Mike & Brenda Sutton era un duo musicale americano composto da Michael B. Sutton e Brenda Sutton. Mike & Brenda Sutton sono più noti per la loro canzone "Do not Let Go of Me (Grip My Hips e Move Me)".
    Scoperti da Stevie Wonder, divennero entrambi autori e produttori della Motown dal 1974 al 1979.
    Michael B. Sutton ha scritto numerose canzoni per artisti Motown tra cui Thelma Houston, Smokey Robinson, Jermaine Jackson, Michael Jackson, The Supremes.

[...]
    Ha contribuito alla carriera di Michael Jackson alla Motown con la canzone 'Cinderella Stay Awhile.' Come è stata creata e poi scelta per l'album di Michael?

Alla Motown, andavamo e venivamo dai diversi studi e vedevo spesso i Jackson 5. A volte per fare un servizio fotografico e altre per le registrazioni in uno degli studi. I due Jacksons che ho avuto modo di conoscere di più erano Jermaine e Michael. Ho lavorato con Jermaine alla Motown, ma ho incontrato Michael prima. L'ho visto diverse volte presso lo studio e nelle sale di Motown ma a quel tempo, nella fase iniziale, non sapevo che avrei lavorato direttamente con lui.

Uno dei grandi produttori all'epoca era Hal Davis e ha scritto molti dei grandi successi dei Jackson 5. In ogni modo, Hal stava lavorando in studio con Michael per il suo quarto album da solista, “Forever, Michael” e ho suonato alcune canzoni per lui.. Nel frattempo, Suzanne de Passe e Berry Gordy erano rimasti molto colpiti dalle mie capacità come compositore così mi hanno messo in contatto con il compositore Mack David (ha scritto il testo originale di ‘Cenerentola’ della Disney) divisione di Motown. Così Suzanne mi disse, 'Vorrei presentarti Mack e vedere se è possibile trovare qualcosa per Michael Jackson. ' Dissi, 'Certo!'
    Dopo le presentazioni, ci siamo messi al lavoro. Seduti davanti al pianoforte, a casa mia, e venuta fuori una certa melodia. Ricordo Mack che diceva: ‘Amo questa melodia.’ Si chinò sul mio tavolo da biliardo e iniziò a scrivere . Mi chiese: ‘Sai che ho scritto il testo originale per la Disney, giusto? ’Ho detto:‘Sì, lo so.’ 'E allora che ne dici di 'Cinderella Stay Awhile? '?' e io ho risposto ‘mi piace’. A lavoro finito, Hal ne era entusiasta, a Michael era piaciuta.. il resto è storia. Abbiamo impostato il tempo di sessione in studio e ci siamo divertiti a registrarla.

Momenti memorabili che hai passato con Michael durante la sessione di registrazione?

Michael aveva 16 anni. Aveva un'assistente alla produzione di nome Suzee Ikeda che era sempre con lui in studio per assicurarsi che i produttori lo trattassero a dovere. Fu proprio in quel periodo che le idee di Michael stavano iniziando ad avere una certa influenza. Beh, ricordo che durante ‘Cinderella Stay Awhile', aveva alcune idee che voleva provare ma a Hal non piacevano.
    Era divertente perché ogni volta che Hal gli voltava le spalle Michael gli faceva delle smorfie! Lo guardavo fare tutte quelle facce buffe e morivo dal ridere.

Motown esercitava molto controllo sulla musica, ma come definirebbe la creatività di Michael in studio a quel tempo?

Michael ebbe un'idea per la fine della canzone. In realtà, le vennero in mente molte idee diverse e Hal continuava a dire ‘No, no. Non mi piace.” Allora Michael faceva una delle sue smorfie e Suzee diceva: “ Dai Hal, lascialo provare”. Hal era molto ostinato nelle sue decisioni sulla musica. Aveva una lunga lista di successi, quindi sapeva di cosa stava parlando quando si trattava di musica ma mi era chiaro che quando eravamo tutti in studio anche le idee di Michael erano molto valide e sarebbero andate bene per la canzone, credo solo che non sono state capite in quel momento.
    Potevo sentire quello di cosa stava parlando quando ha descritto ciò che voleva fare. Ad un certo punto ho detto: 'Perché non proviamo?'
    Verso la fine della canzone - e questo nessuno lo sapeva fino ad ora - nei cori di “Cinderella Stay Awhile”' Michael voleva fare una contro melodia.
    Quando il coro canta: ‘Cinderella, I wanna be your fella!,’ in sottofondo Michael sta dicendo: 'You’re the one that makes my dreams come true!. I just wanna spend my life with you! '. E' molto delicato ma se si ascolta attentamente mentre il coro canta nella parte finale si sente quello che Michael dice, e questa è stata una sua idea.
    [...]
    Traduzione: MJGW FORUM

Edited by ArcoIris - 9/4/2018, 01:40

0 replies since 28/4/2017, 14:02   128 views