Group
    Dangerous

Status
    Anonymous

Michael Jackson's personal artist shared pop king's vision

By Edna Gundersen, USA TODAY
    Updated 8/24/2009

3RMgx8O
    SANTA FE — Artist David Nordahl was at home painting in February 1988 when the phone rang at midnight. A voice said, "This is Michael Jackson."
    Yeah, riiiight, he thought. But he quickly realized the call was no prank.

While visiting Steven Spielberg's office, Jackson had admired one of Nordahl's paintings of Army troops invading an Apache camp as a young corporal shielded two Indian children. Now the singer was reaching out to the painter. For art lessons.
    "He asked if I taught drawing and painting," says Nordahl, whose realist oils of 19th-century Apaches are highly prized. "I told him I didn't, but that I'd think about it. I was really busy."

Their hour-long conversation sparked a close friendship and working partnership that led Nordahl to abandon renown in the art world for a cloistered vocation as Jackson's portraitist. From 1988 to 2005, Nordahl completed thousands of drawings and roughly a dozen epic commissions, seven of which were among 2,000 Jackson items in Julien's authorized auction, which the singer sued to stop last spring.

Many canvases encapsulate Jackson's grandiose fantasies and fairy-tale worldview. In a massive triptych, he is crowned and knighted in royal robes. Along the sunlit path in Field of Dreams, he leads children of all nationalities (plus sister Janet, AIDS activist Ryan White and actor Macaulay Culkin). His firstborn son snoozes on an oversized golden throne in Prince, The Boy King.

Nordahl, 68, became not only Jackson's favorite living artist (Michelangelo led the historic ranking) but a trusted adviser and confidant who designed Neverland carnival rides and joined family outings.

He ducked the media for years, "because they wanted to talk about negative stuff, and I don't know anything bad about Michael," the soft-spoken Nordahl says, sitting with artist/wife Lori Peterson and frisky cat Scooter in a living room crowded with paintings by the couple. He's speaking now in hopes of brightening a picture darkened since Jackson's death June 25.

"I always thought of him as normal," he says. "He's the most thoughtful, respectful person I've ever met. In 20 years, I never heard him raise his voice."

Early days: Brainstorming

Nordahl's Jackson period began after the singer invited him to the Denver stop of the Bad tour in March 1988.

"I didn't know what to expect," Nordahl says. "He was sweet. We went to galleries, bookstores and a private showing of the King Tut exhibit. We sat around and laughed and talked and drew."

Jackson demonstrated talent but was stretched too thin to pursue visual arts. Instead, the two began hatching ideas for Nordahl to paint. The artist conceived the inaugural work, Playmates for a Lonely Child, a 41-inch-square oil of Jackson in a sylvan storybook scene. Next Nordahl embarked on a far bolder statement, Field of Dreams, a 36-by-104-inch oil study for an unfinished work that would have measured 12 by 38 feet.

He labored non-stop: large portraits, mythical tableaux, 10-foot charcoal drawings, a plaque on the Neverland gate. Nordahl billed Jackson in line with his earlier gallery rates, up to $150,000 for large pieces, and says he was always paid.

His duties expanded to amusement park design after Jackson began developing the ranch north of Santa Barbara, Calif., and Nordahl juggled several projects while adapting to Jackson's enchanted lifestyle. At Neverland, the two tested rides and tended the exotic menagerie.

They took trips to Disneyland and spent time at billionaire Ron Burkle's La Jolla, Calif., estate, where Jackson's insomnia often meant Nordahl was enlisted for wee-hour practical jokes and beachside chats. (He also was a victim of Jackson's notorious tricks, once finding his briefcase stuffed with bubblegum.)

He discovered the unglamorous Jackson, who in the late '80s often drove by himself in a Chevy Blazer (and relieved himself in a bucket because he couldn't risk being mobbed at gas stations) and lived in a two-bedroom Los Angeles condo.

"I expected a penthouse with maids," Nordahl says. "There was a grand piano pushed into the kitchen, a popcorn machine and a good sound system. The other furniture, you couldn't have gotten 50 bucks for it at a garage sale. Before the kids, Michael lived real simply."

What fueled this bromance?
    "I grew up in a difficult home, and he did too," says Nordahl, whom Jackson thanks in liner notes for 1991's Dangerous and 1995's HIStory. "We had no playtime growing up. We're both fanatical about work.
    "There was a bond."

Nordahl's youth troubled, too

Born in Albert Lea, Minn., Nordahl left home at 12 and supported himself through high school by working on farms, pinstriping cars and selling his art.

"I can't remember not drawing," he says. "I had an abusive, alcoholic father, and drawing is something that takes you out of the real world. I was always interested in cowboys and Indians. I sold drawings of the Lone Ranger to my classmates."

He began specializing in Apaches after moving to Steamboat Springs, Colo., in 1977, and his detailed, meticulously researched depictions soon lured collectors.

"His work had a lot of integrity, and he was one of those rare artists who was humble but extremely talented," says prominent Santa Fe art dealer Ray Dewey, who held lotteries to determine buyers of Nordahl's work because of high demand.

"His technique took a long time, so he was not prolific. When he talked to me about leaving to paint for Michael Jackson, I had over 200 people on a waiting list for his work. It was an interesting decision on his part.

"I think what Jackson saw in David was a complete artist," Dewey says. "He was a perfectionist. He choreographed everything. Jackson also may have seen his commitment to family. David primarily painted the Apache people's culture and lifeways, but he painted a lot of children, not just warriors. And he painted animals beautifully, especially horses."

What Nordahl saw in Jackson was a wounded and misunderstood genius who felt spiritually obligated to help children.

Though Jackson was acquitted in his 2005 child sexual abuse trial, it "broke his spirit," Nordahl says. "Michael would never molest a child. He always felt so bad for kids who were mistreated or sick. He spent so much time with critically ill kids. If a mother called about a dying child somewhere, he'd jump on a plane.

"People talked about Neverland being his private amusement park. It was always meant for kids. The last time I was at the ranch, they put up a big Sony JumboTron across from a condo building for sick children, so if kids woke up at night, cartoons would be on."

'Michael was a real dad'

Nordahl was bewildered that Jackson seemed to elicit more mockery than sympathy.

"People accused him of trying to be white, which is ridiculous," he says. "When I first met him, his vitiligo (a skin disorder that causes pigmentation loss) had gone to the right side of his face and down his neck. Most of his right hand was white. Stark white patches. He used makeup because he had to. Without it, he was speckled all over."

Nordahl never witnessed drug use by Jackson but was keenly aware of pain problems that lingered after the star's hair caught fire on a Pepsi ad soundstage.

"When they were trying to repair that burned spot, he had a balloon under his scalp that was inflated," Nordahl says. "He let me feel it. It was a huge mound. As the skin got stretched, they cut it out and stitched the scalp. He was in excruciating pain."

Jackson seemed an unlikely addict, Nordahl says, noting his avoidance of cigarettes, alcohol, soft drinks and sugar.

"He was mostly a vegetarian," he says. "When he was on tour, the cooks would make him eat fish and sometimes chicken. He loved little chicken wings. He always drank water. I shared wine with him only twice, once with (ex-wife) Lisa Marie (Presley) and once at Ron Burkle's house. Michael had one glass."

The clearest evidence of Jackson's responsible nature emerged in his parenting of Prince, Paris and Blanket.

"Michael was a real dad, not a Hollywood dad," he says. "He'd get up at night to feed them bottles. He'd change them, bathe them, everything a mother does.

"All the time I spent with those kids, I never heard them beg for anything or throw a fit. I never heard them cry. They were so well-adjusted."

Jackson took pains not to spoil his children, says Nordahl, recalling a modest eighth birthday party in L.A. for Prince. (Jackson's mother, Katherine, and sister Rebbie came over but skipped the festivities because of their Jehovah's Witness beliefs, he says.)

"I was curious to see what Prince was going to get," Nordahl says. "I figured it would be pretty extravagant, but he didn't get one thing that cost over $2. He got Play-Doh, little action figures, things we'd call stocking stuffers.

"The kids were not allowed to watch TV or DVDs or play video games" except through points earned by their schoolwork. "Nothing was given to them. Michael said, 'I want them to grow up as close to normal as possible.' Those kids were so respectful and courteous, just sweet."

Surprise visit to Santa Fe

Nordahl grew close to all three. Typically, the artist spent time with the Jackson brood on the West Coast. But over Memorial Day weekend in 2004, the star and his tykes surprised Nordahl by visiting Santa Fe via Jackson's plush private bus (with a 60-inch plasma TV). Jackson suggested a movie outing.

"I thought we were going to a screening room," Nordahl says. "His driver pulled into DeVargas Mall. He was friends with (Roland Emmerich), the director of The Day After Tomorrow, and it was opening weekend. The mall was jammed, and there was no place to park. I took the kids, got the tickets and popcorn, and we went in. Michael came in after the lights went down.

"The lights came up, and nobody noticed him. He had on a baseball cap and these Chinese silk pajamas. The kids had no masks on. Any of those rags would have paid $100,000 for that picture."

Paintings' future unclear

He last saw Jackson in 2005, when the singer moved to Bahrain and vowed never again to live on U.S. soil. Accustomed to lulls when Jackson was overseas or overextended, Nordahl resumed painting Apaches and presumed he'd be summoned once Jackson found a new home and showcase for his treasures.

The fate of Nordahl's Jackson paintings is in limbo, though they may be part of a touring exhibition of the singer's memorabilia proposed by the estate administrators. "I would like to see them in a Michael Jackson museum," Nordahl says. "That was always Michael's goal. He was very self-effacing, but he understood he was a music icon."

Nordahl, represented by Settlers West Galleries in Tucson and Sherwoods Spirit of America in Santa Fe, has returned to painting Apaches and other subjects.

Whether his extended hiatus from the public eye damaged his authority or reputation "is difficult to gauge," Dewey says. "I don't know if it furthered his career. An artist who does commissions for one patron often is just isolated unless the patron publishes or exhibits the work. David's always been independent, and he's never sought publicity."

And how many patrons are the King of Pop?

"We got to be such good friends that I forgot who I was hanging out with," Nordahl says. "Then he'd break into these dance moves, quick as lightning, and it would dawn on me: He's the best entertainer in the world."

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/life/people...paintings_N.htm

"The King of Pop"

Group
    Dangerous

Status
    Anonymous

David Nordahl - Ritrattista personale di MJ condivide la visione del Re del Pop

di Edna Gundersen, USA TODAY
    24-08-2009

3RMgx8O
    L’artista David Nordahl era a casa a dipingere nel febbraio del 1988 quando il telefono squillò a mezzanotte. Una voce disse, “Sono Michael Jackson”.

Si, ceeeeerto, pensò. Ma si rese presto conto che la telefonata non era uno scherzo.
    Nel visitare l’ufficio di Steven Spielberg, Jackson aveva ammirato uno dei quadri di Nordahl raffigurante delle truppe dell’esercito che invadevano il campo degli Apache, dove un giovane caporale faceva da scudo a due bambini indiani. Per questo motivo ora il cantante stava cercando di contattare il pittore. Per avere delle lezioni d'arte.

“Mi chiese se insegnassi disegno e pittura”, dice Nordahl, le cui opere sugli Apaches del XIX secolo sono ben valutate. “Gli risposi di no ma che ci avrei pensato. Ero molto impegnato”.
    Quella conversazione di un’ora diede il via ad una grande amicizia e ad un rapporto di lavoro che portò Nordahl ad abbandonare la sua fama nel mondo dell’arte per una vocazione quasi claustrale come ritrattista personale di Jackson. Dal 1988 al 2005 Nordahl completò centinaia di quadri e circa una dozzina di commissioni epiche, 7 dei quali erano compresi nei 2000 oggetti di Jackson che sarebbero dovuti andare all’asta con la Julien’s Auction, che il cantante ha bloccato la scorsa primavera.

Varie tele inglobano le grandiosi fantasie di Jackson e la sua visione del mondo come una fiaba. In un enorme trittico viene incoronato e nominato cavaliere in vesti regali. Lungo un sentiero soleggiato in “Field of Dreams", fa da guida a bambini di tutte le nazionalità (con la sorella Janet, l'attivista contro l'AIDS Ryan White e l’attore Macaulay Culkin). Il suo primogenito sonnecchia su un trono d'oro di grandi dimensioni in "Prince, The Boy King".

Nordahl, 68enne, divenne non solo l’artista vivente preferito da Jackson (Michelangelo guidava la classifica di quelli storici), ma anche un fidato consigliere e confidente che disegnò le giostre di Neverland e partecipò alle uscite di famiglia.
    Ha evitato i media per anni "perché volevano parlare sempre di cose negative, quando io non ho mai visto nulla di negativo in Michael” dice il pacato Nordahl. Parla ora nella speranza di illuminare un’immagine oscurata dalla morte di Jackson il 25 giugno.

“Ho sempre pensato fosse una persona normale”, dice, “E’ la persona più premurosa e rispettosa che io abbia mai incontrato. In 20 anni, non l’ho mai sentito alzare la voce”.

I primi tempi: creatività

Il rapporto fra il pittore e Jackson iniziò dopo che il cantante lo invitò ad una sua tappa del Bad Tour a Denver nel marzo del 1988.
    “Non sapevo cosa aspettarmi”, dice Nordahl. “Era dolce. Visitammo gallerie, librerie ed una mostra privata di King Tut. Ci sedemmo, parlammo, ridemmo e disegnammo”.
    Jackson dimostrò talento, ma aveva troppa poca esperienza per dedicarsi alle arti visive. Invece i due iniziarono a metter giù idee perché Nordahl le dipingesse. L’artista concepì un primo lavoro, “Playmates for a Lonely Child” (Compagni di gioco per un bambino solo), un olio su tela di Jackson in una scena silvestre da libro di fiabe. Poi Nordahl intraprese un'opera più audace, "Field of Dreams", uno studio a olio di 36 per 104 pollici per un lavoro incompiuto che avrebbe misurato 12 per 38 piedi.

Ha lavorato non stop: ritratti di grandi dimensioni, quadri mitici, disegni a carboncino da 10 piedi, una targa sul cancello di Neverland. Nordahl ha fatturato a Jackson prezzi in linea con quelli praticati prima con la sua galleria d'arte, fino a 150 mila dollari per pezzi di grandi dimensioni, e dice di essere stato sempre pagato.
    I suoi compiti si estesero alla progettazione del parco di divertimenti dopo che Jackson iniziò a sviluppare il ranch a nord di Santa Barbara, in California, e Nordahl si destreggiò abilmente in diversi progetti, adattandosi allo stile di vita incantata di Jackson. A Neverland i due testatavano le giostre e curavano il serraglio esotico.

Andarono più volte a Disneyland e trascorsero del tempo dal miliardario Ron Burkle a La Jolla in California dove, a causa dell’insonnia di Jackson, Nordahl gli teneva spesso compagnia facendo battute e chiacchierando in riva al mare. (Fu anche vittima di uno dei noti scherzi di Jackson, trovando una volta la ventiquattrore imbottita di chewingum).

Scoprì anche il Jackson al di fuori del glamour, che alla fine degli anni ’80 spesso guidava una Chevy Blazer (e si nascondeva in un benna per non essere assalito alle stazioni di benzina) e viveva in un appartamento di due camere a Los Angeles.
    “Mi aspettavo un attico con la servitù”, dice Nordahl. “C’era un pianoforte in cucina, una macchina del popcorn e un buon sistema audio. Riguardo al resto dell’arredamento non potevi ricavarne più di 50 dollari ad un mercato dell’usato. Prima dei bambini, Michael viveva in maniera molto semplice”.

Cosa vi accomunava?
    “Sono cresciuto in una famiglia difficile, come lui”, dice Nordahl, che Jackson ringrazia nelle note degli album Dangerous del 1991 e History del 1995. “Non abbiamo potuto giocare crescendo e siamo entrambi fanatici del lavoro."
    "C’era un legame”.

Anche Nordahl ha avuto una gioventù problematica

Nato a Albert Lea, Minnesota, Nordahl lasciò la sua casa a 12 anni e si è mantenuto fino alla scuola superore lavorando in aziende agricole, decorando auto e vendendo le sue opere.

"Non ricordo un momento in cui io non abbia disegnato" dice. "Ho avuto un padre che mi maltrattava ed era alcolizzato e il disegno è qualcosa che ti porta fuori del mondo reale. Sono sempre stato interessato a cowboy e indiani. Vendevo i disegni di Lone Ranger ai miei compagni di classe".
    Iniziò a specializzarsi in Apaches dopo essersi trasferito a Steamboat Springs, Colorado, nel 1977 e le sue rappresentazioni dettagliate e meticolosamente studiate presto attirarono i collezionisti.

"Il suo lavoro aveva molta integrità, e lui era uno di quei rari artisti che era umile ma di grande talento", dice l'importante mercante d'arte Ray Dewey di Santa Fè, che a causa della forte domanda per i lavori di Nordahl ha tenuto addirittura delle lotterie per determinare gli acquirenti.
    "La sua tecnica prevedeva un tempo di esecuzione lungo, perciò non era prolifico. Quando mi disse che aveva intenzione di lasciare e dipingere per Michael Jackson, avevo 200 persone in lista d'attesa per il suo lavoro. Era un decisione interessante da parte sua.

"Penso che ciò Jackson vedeva in David era un artista completo" dice Dewey. "Era un perfezionista. Coreografava tutto. Jackson può anche aver visto il suo impegno per la famiglia. David principalmente dipingeva cultura e stili di vita del popolo Apache, ma dipingeva un sacco di bambini, non solo guerrieri. E dipingeva animali bellissimi, soprattutto cavalli.

Quello che Nordahl vide in Jackson era un genio ferito ed incompreso che si sentiva spiritualmente obbligato ad aiutare i bambini.
    Nonostante Jackson sia stato assolto dalle accuse del 2005, "il suo spirito si spezzò”, dice Nordahl. “Michael non avrebbe mai molestato un bambino. Si sentiva sempre così male per i bambini maltrattati o malati. Trascorreva così tanto tempo con i bambini gravemente malati. Se una madre lo chiamava per un bambino morente da qualche parte, lui saltava su un aereo.

"La gente parlava di Neverland come il suo parco di divertimenti privato. E' stato sempre concepito per i bambini. L’ultima volta che sono stato al ranch avevano messo uno schermo Sony Jumbotron di fronte ad un edificio per i bambini malati, in modo che se i bambini si svegliavano di notte potevano vedere i cartoni”.

Michael era un papà vero

Nordahl era stupito del fatto che Jackson sembrava suscitare più derisione che simpatia.
    “La gente lo accusò di cercare di essere bianco, il che è ridicolo”, dice. “Quando lo incontrai la prima volta, la sua vitiligine (una malattia della pelle che causa la perdita della pigmentazione) aveva colpito il lato destro del suo viso fino al collo. Gran parte della mano destra era bianca. Macchie assolutamente bianche. Usava il trucco perché era costretto. Senza, era tutto chiazzato”.

Nordahl non ha mai visto Jackson assumere farmaci ma era ben consapevole dei dolori di cui soffriva dopo che i capelli della star avevano preso fuoco durante lo spot della Pepsi.

“Quando cercarono di curargli la parte ustionata, sotto lo scalpo aveva come un palloncino che si era gonfiato”, afferma Nordahl. “Me lo fece sentire. Era un enorme bozzo. Appena la pelle si è tesa, l'hanno tagliato e asportato e hanno ricucito lo scalpo. Era un dolore straziante”.
    Jackson non sembrava proprio un tossicodipendente, dice Nordahl, dato che evitava sigarette, alcool, bibite e zuccheri.
    “Era per lo più vegetariano”, dice. “Quando era in tour i cuochi gli facevano mangiare pesce e qualche volta pollo. Amava le alette di pollo. Beveva sempre acqua. Ho bevuto del vino con lui solo due volte, una volta con (la sua ex-moglie) Lisa Marie (Presley) ed un’altra a casa di Ron Burkle. Michael ne bevve solo un bicchiere".

La prova lampante della natura responsabile di Jackson emerse nell'educazione di Prince, Paris e Blanket

“Michael era un vero papà, non un papà di Hollywood”, dichiara. “Si alzava di notte per dar loro il biberon. Li cambiava, faceva loro il bagno, tutto ciò che fa una mamma.
    "Per tutto il tempo che ho trascorso con quei bambini, non li ho mai sentiti supplicare per qualcosa o fare i capricci. Non li ho mai sentiti piangere.
    Erano così stabili.

"Jackson ha fatto di tutto per non viziarli", dice Nordahl, ricordando una modesta festa di compleanno tenuta a L.A. per gli otto anni di Prince.(la madre di Jackson, Katherine, e la sorella Rebbie erano venute, ma saltarono la festa a causa delle loro convinzioni di Testimoni di Geova, dice.)
    “Ero curioso di vedere cosa avrebbe ricevuto Prince”, dice Nordahl. “Mi immaginavo si trattasse di qualcosa di molto stravagante, ma non ricevette niente che costasse più di 2 dollari. Gli regalarono il Play-Doh (plastilina), dei piccoli supereroi, cose che di solito riempiono le calze.

"Ai bambini non era permesso guardare la TV o dei DVD o giocare con i videogiochi a meno che non avessero guadagnato dei punti nei compiti. Niente veniva loro regalato. Michael diceva, 'Voglio che crescano nel modo più normale possibile'. Quei bambini erano così rispettosi e cortesi, davvero dolci”.

Visita a sorpresa a Santa Fe

Nordahl era legato a tutti e tre. Di solito l'artista trascorreva del tempo con i bambini Jackson nella West Coast. Ma nel weekend del Memorial Day del 2004 la star e i suoi figli fecero una sorpresa a Nordahl arrivando a Santa Fe con il suo bus privato (con una TV al plasma da 60 pollici). Jackson suggerì di andare a vedere un film.
    “Pensavo che saremmo andati in una sala di proiezione privata" dice Nordahl "L’autista ci portò al DeVargas Mall. Michael era amico del regista del film “The Day After Tomorrow” (Roland Emmerich) e quella era la settimana della prima. Il centro era affollatissimo e non c’era nemmeno un posto per parcheggiare. Presi i bambini, comprai i biglietti e il pop-corn ed entrammo. Michael arrivò appena spensero le luci.
    "Le luci si riaccesero, e nessuno si accorse di lui. Indossava un cappellino da baseball e uno di quei pigiami di seta cinese. I bambini erano senza maschera. Qualsiasi giornalaccio avrebbe pagato 100 mila dollari per una foto simile”.

Il futuro poco chiaro dei dipinti

Vide Jackson per l’ultima volta nel 2005, quando il cantante si trasferì in Bahrein giurando di non tornare mai più a vivere sul suolo statunitense. Mentre Jackson era via Nordahl riprese a dipingere Apaches e pensò che sarebbe stato convocato una volta che Jackson avesse trovato una nuova casa e una vetrina per i suoi tesori.

Il destino dei dipinti di Nordahl di proprietà di Jackson è in un limbo, per quanto possano essere parte di una mostra itinerante di cimeli del cantante proposta dagli amministratori del patrimonio. "Mi piacerebbe vederli in un museo di Michael Jackson" dice Nordahl. "Questo è stato sempre l'obiettivo di Michael. Lui era molto schivo, ma capiva di essere un'icona della musica".
    Nordahl, rappresentato dalla Settlers West Gallerie a Tucson e dalla Sherwoods Spirit of America a Santa Fe, è tornato alla pittura di Apaches e di altri soggetti .

Se la sua lunga pausa dagli occhi del pubblico abbia danneggiato la sua autorità o reputazione "è difficile da valutare", dice Dewey. "Io non so se abbia favorito la sua carriera. Un artista che fa delle commissioni per un solo mecenate, spesso è isolato a meno che il mecenate pubblichi o esponga il lavoro. David è sempre stato indipendente, e non ha mai cercato pubblicità".

E quanti clienti sono come il Re del Pop?

"Abbiamo avuto modo di essere così buoni amici che ho dimenticato con chi avevo a che fare" dice Nordahl. "Poi faceva questi passi di danza, veloce come un fulmine, e realizzavo: E' il miglior entertainer al mondo".

http://www.mjportal.com/king-of-pop/514-ra...at=html&lang=en

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.

Group
    Just Good Friends

Status
    CITAZIONE
    “Ho sempre pensato fosse una persona normale”,

Invece in tanti - troppi direi - hanno deliberatamente scelto di influenzare l'opinione pubblica facendo credere l'esatto contrario. Certo e' che ha dato fastidio a più di uno però un accanimento continuativo nel tempo perde ogni diritto di giustificazione in special modo se le basi per tale accanimento traballano o si sgretolano vistosamente a dispetto dei più ostinati.

2 replies since 10/2/2017, 01:43   165 views