"The King of Pop"

Group
    Dangerous

Status
    Anonymous
    eidLd5F

In The Studio With Michael Jackson

Sometimes it's the little things.

I have been blessed to have seen many amazing places from Mount Fuji to the Jungfrau; the original Starbucks in Seattle to a cozy club in St. Petersburg, Russia; Half-dome in Yosemite to the midway of the Minnesota State Fair; EPCOT to Positano, Italy. All are beautiful in their own way, and you can't really compare one with another.

That's sort of how I feel about Neverland. People often missed much of a magic of the place. Let me give you a very crude example: If you ask a person on the street what their favorite MJ song is, they might say Thriller or Billie Jean or Beat It. Amazing songs! But they are missing so many of the hidden gems of his catalog. Ask a slightly more serious MJ fan the same question and they will cringe at such a difficult question! Moscow, Heal The World, Closet, Butterflies, We've Had Enough... the list goes on and on.

Neverland has a similar persona, at least to me. Sure, everyone loved the theater and the carousel and elephants. But Michael tucked so many gems away that most people likely saw right past them. I have shared stories about the chirping birds we created, and the crickets, but I stumbled across a photo of the stagecoach that suddenly threw me back quite a few years.

Michael loved animals, although he was always a bit nervous around dogs. I never went horseback riding with him (sort of wish I would have), but I know he loved the horses. He even insisted that Neverland be sold with the two horses that he and Bill Bray rode during and early visit to the then Sycamore Valley Ranch.

The horse (Cowboy) section of the ranch was further back on the property, and it is likely that not everyone ever made it back that far. The amusement park was, understandably, the big draw. But if you walked just another hundred yards or so past the bumper cars, you would be in the zoo - and the horse barn.

During our peak at Neverland, which truthfully lasted for several years, we were building music and lighting systems almost as fast as Michael could think up new areas and projects. He always gave me plenty of time to research new projects, but once I presented him with an idea he liked, he couldn't wait for us to build it! One day we would be up on a hill putting music in a gazebo, and the next day we would adding subwoofers to the music system on the Zipper.

I don't remember the exact phone call, but at some point he purchased a horse-drawn carriage, or as we sometimes called it The Stagecoach. I have no idea of it's history or actual age, but it seemed very old and very legit. Anyway, he told me he wanted music on the stagecoach.
    Now, let's mention the obvious here, in case you missed it. A stagecoach has no motor or engine to power a music system - only a walking horse. So, we had to improvise.

I designed a very simple yet power music system by mounting a CD player (remember the old Sony Walkman CD players??) on a flexible metal arm, which suspended just next to the driver. If you look closely in the picture you can see it.
    Next, we had to build a powerful 12-volt amplifier and four (yes four) speakers mounted under the seats. This all ran off of a pair of giant boat batteries which would be charged between guests.

I already knew the type of music Michael liked at Neverland (I burned all of the CDs myself), so there was no guesswork there. I brought one of the custom Neverland CDs and loaded into the CD player and took it for a test listen. I really don't care to brag too much, but it was, without a doubt, the best sounding stagecoach that I had ever heard!
    It took a few days to design and build it, and - like every project I worked on with Michael - I was so excited to play it for him when it was finished. He loved it, job well done!

So is there anything terribly exciting about putting music on a stagecoach? Well, maybe not, but here's what I keep tripping on in my head when I think about Neverland. It wasn't just me up there - it was artists and builders and painters and landscapers and masons and florists. There was art and music and beauty everywhere. There was Michael everywhere. You could feel it. You could feel him.
    I used to stay late at Neverland, because I loved being there after dark. The workers would all leave, and I would stay an extra hour or two and adjust the subwoofer levels on the bumper cars or the EQ on the carousel just a little bit. I wanted everything to be perfect for the next group, and I just liked the place.

After dark, if no guests were on property, Neverland would be incredibly dark and almost magical. Then I could hear my chirping birds, the cricket sounds, the comforting notes of Debussy playing across the lake or from the countless rock speakers we placed all through the ranch, and I would just walk and take it all in. The park might be lit up, or it might be dark, depending on the day and event. But once in a while I would see "my" stagecoach coming out for a practice run. The music would be playing and the driver would always greet me with a smile or allow me to hop in for a ride.

So much to take in. So many details. Such an amazing labor of love, and yet even something as simple and rarely used as a stagecoach still got the full treatment. That... was Michael.

Brad Sundberg
    Source: www.facebook.com/inthestudiowithmj/posts/627071210800110

ESTRATTO: 'In The Studio With Michael Jackson'
    "A volte sono le piccole cose ..."

Ho avuto la fortuna di aver visto molti luoghi sorprendenti, dal Monte Fuji al Jungfrau; dall'originale Starbucks a Seattle a un'accogliente club di San Pietroburgo, Russia; dalla Half-Dome (cupola di granito) di Yosemite al Minnesota State Fair; da EPCOT a Positano, Italia. Tutti i luoghi sono belli di per sé, e non possono essere confrontati l'uno con l'altro.

Qualcosa del genere è quello che provo per Neverland. La gente spesso si è persa gran parte della magia di quel posto. Permettetemi di farvi un esempio molto grezzo: se chiedete ad una persona qualsiasi qual'è la loro canzone preferita di MJ, potrebbero dire 'Thriller' o 'Billie Jean' o 'Beat It'.
    Canzoni incredibili! .. Ma dimenticano molte gemme nascoste nel suo catalogo. Fate la stessa domanda ad un fan più attento e si troverà in difficoltà davanti ad un difficile quesito! .. 'Moscow', 'Heal the World', 'Closet', 'Butterflies', 'We’ve Had Enough' ... e la lista potrebbe continuare all'infinito.

Neverland è un personaggio simile, almeno per me. . Sì, tutti amavano il teatro, la giostra e gli elefanti. Ma Michael ha nascosto tante gemme che la maggior parte delle persone probabilmente le ha avuto davanti senza 'notarle'. Ho condiviso storie circa il cinguettio degli uccelli e il verso dei grilli che abbiamo creato , ma mi sono imbattuto in una foto di una diligenza che improvvisamente mi ha riportato indietro di parecchi anni.

Michael amava gli animali, ma era sempre un po' nervoso con i cani. Non sono mai andato a cavallo con lui (una specie di desiderio mai esaudito), ma so che adorava i cavalli. Ha anche insistito sul fatto che Neverland è stata venduta con i due cavalli che lui e Bill Bray hanno cavalcato durante una visita al Sycamore Valley Ranch. ( come si chiamava prima di diventare Neverland )

La zona dedicata ai cavalli (Cowboy) si trovava un po' più lontano, nel retro della proprietà, e, probabilmente, non tutti sono arrivati fino a quella parte del ranch. Il parco di divertimenti era, comprensibilmente, la grande attrazione. Ma se camminavi pochi centinaia di metri in più, o se oltrepassavi l'autoscontro, arrivavi allo zoo – e alle scuderie.

Durante l'epoca d'oro di Neverland, che certamente è durata parecchi anni, abbiamo costruito sistemi di musica e di illuminazione così velocemente come Michael pensava a nuove aree e progetti. Sempre mi ha dato tutto il tempo per cercare nuovi progetti, ma una volta che gli si presentava un'idea che gli piaceva, non vedeva l'ora di vederla realizzata.
    Un giorno eravamo sulla collina sistemando la musica nel gazebo e il seguente stavamo aggiungendo altoparlanti all'impianto musicale dello Zipper.

Non ricordo esattamente la telefonata, ma a un certo punto ha acquistato una carrozza trainata da cavalli o come la chiamavamo a volte: la Diligenza.. No ho idea della sua storia o di quale epoca fosse ma sembrava molto vecchia e originale. Comunque, ha detto che voleva la musica nella diligenza.
    E ora, dobbiamo ricordare una cosa ovvia qui, nel caso in cui non si sia notato. La diligenza no ha nessun motore o corrente per inserire un sistema audio. Solo un cavallo. Così abbiamo dovuto improvvisare.

Ho progettato un sistema musicale semplice ma potente montando un lettore CD ( vi ricordate il vecchio Walkman Sony ?? ) su un braccio metallico flessibile sospeso accanto al conducente. Se guardate attentamente la foto, si può vedere.
    Successivamente, abbiamo dovuto costruire un potente amplificatore da 12 volt e quattro altoparlanti (sì quattro) montati sotto i sedili. Il tutto alimentato da due grandi batterie come quelle utilizzate per le barche...

Sapevo il tipo di musica che piaceva a Michael a Neverland (registravo io stesso i CD), quindi non c'era niente da indovinare. Ho portato uno dei CD personalizzati di Neverland e l'ho caricato nel lettore CD per un test di ascolto. E non voglio vantarmi troppo, ma era, senza dubbio, la diligenza con il miglior suono che abbia mai sentito!
    Ci sono voluti pochi giorni per progettarlo e costruirlo, e come in qualsiasi altro progetto dove ho lavorato con Michael, ero ansioso di mostrargli il lavoro finito. Gli è piaciuto molto, lavoro ben fatto!

Ma, è così eccitante mettere la musica su una carrozza ? Beh, forse no, ma questo è ciò che mi torna alla mente ogni volta che penso a Neverland. Non ero il solo lì. C'erano artisti, costruttori, pittori, paesaggisti e fioristi. C'era musica, arte e bellezza ovunque. Michael era dappertutto. Si poteva sentire. Si poteva sentire lui.
    Ero solito rimanere fino a tardi a Neverland, perché mi piaceva essere lì dopo il tramonto. I lavoratori andavano via e restavo un'ora o due per regolare il livello degli altoparlanti dell'autoscontro o l'equalizzatore della giostra. Volevo che tutto fosse perfetto per il gruppo successivo ma anche perché semplicemente mi piaceva il posto.

Dopo il tramonto, se non c'erano ospiti nella proprietà, Neverland diventava incredibilmente buia e quasi magica; potevo sentire il cinguettio degli uccelli, i suoni dei grilli, le note confortanti di Debussy che risuonavano in riva al lago o dai molti altoparlanti posizionati intorno al ranch mentre passeggiavo e mi godevo quel luogo.
    Il parco poteva essere acceso o spento, a seconda del giorno o evento. Ma ogni tanto potevo vedere la "mia" carrozza uscire per un giro di prova. La musica suonava e il conducente mi salutava con un sorriso o mi faceva salire per fare una passeggiata.

Così tanto da assimilare. Molti dettagli. Un incredibile lavoro d'amore, eppure, qualcosa di semplice e raramente utilizzato come una carrozza, ha ricevuto la massima attenzione. Quello … era Michael.

Brad Sundberg
    Traduzione: Michael Jackson's Gold World

Edited by ArcoIris - 18/10/2016, 03:31

"The King of Pop"

Group
    Threatened

Status
    Anonymous
    Quanto amo i racconti di Brad . Con semplicità, umiltà e senza invadere la sua privacy ci fa vivere piccoli momenti della vita di Michael :love:

3. MJ-Beautiful soul

User deleted

Very good and figuratively written. It must have been an absolutely wonderful place to be, and what a shame that someone managed to ruin this magical place for Michael.

"The King of Pop"

Group
    Just Good Friends

Status
    Bellissimo racconto dal quale emerge la splendida anima di Michael, grazie Arcoiris

"Invincible"

Group
    ModAP

Status
    Anonymous
    Qualcosa di semplice.... eppure lui è riuscito a renderlo interessante e piacevole :<3:

Molto piacevole anche leggere i racconti di Brad :sosi:

4 replies since 18/10/2016, 02:01   199 views