Dale Kawashima (ex presidente ATV Music) ricorda il suo lavoro con Michael

« Older   Newer »

"The King of Pop"

Group
    Dangerous

Status
    Anonymous

My Recollections Of Working With Michael Jackson

By Dale Kawashima, former President of Michael Jackson's ATV Music and Head of SingerUniverse

(This article was written a few days after Michael Jackson passed away in June 2009).

CNsRDLd
    I had the honor of working directly with Michael Jackson for four-and-a-half years, as President of his ATV Music publishing company (before it merged and became Sony/ATV Music). With his very sad and untimely passing away, I wanted to convey my recollections of working with Michael Jackson, to offer some insight into this great music artist and the person that he was.

It was in late summer of 1987 that Michael’s excellent advisor & attorney, John Branca, called me. Branca was familiar with my work as an independent publisher and songplugger for the song catalogs of Prince, Bruce Springsteen and Bob Dylan. Branca said I was being considered for the new position of President of ATV Music, which included the classic catalogs of the Beatles, Little Richard and many other hits. He asked me if I would like to interview with Michael Jackson for this position.

This was undoubtedly the biggest moment in my career. Of course, I told Branca that I was very interested, and then I prepared a presentation for my meeting with Michael. A week later I met Michael in his trailer on the set of his “Bad” video shoot. He liked my presentation, so I was hired!

Michael had just launched his world concert tour to promote his Bad album, so he was mostly on the road. For meetings, he would fly me to Tokyo, and later on to London. I remember having an one-on-one meeting with him, as we rode the bullet train from Osaka to Tokyo. Throughout my years working with him, I would speak to him regularly on the phone about ATV business. Michael loved the music publishing business, and he said he was honored to publish the great Beatles catalog.
    In addition to promoting the hit ATV catalogs, I represented Michael’s own song catalog, Mijac Music, which was administered by Warner-Chappell Music. I also signed new songwriter/producers that Michael was interested in. One of Michael’s favorite new writers was Bryan Loren, who worked on many projects and sessions with him.

Working with Michael at ATV was always a very positive experience. He was a very nice, likable person, who was a pleasure to work for. Michael was very enthusiastic about his music publishing business, and we discussed ways to build the company and acquire additional song catalogs.

My experience of working with Michael was so positive, that I could never understand all the negative publicity and allegations made against him. Even after I left ATV at the end of 1991 to work as President of Irving Azoff’s Giant Music Publishing, I still had only fond memories of working with Michael. Yes, his appearance certainly changed over the years. But he was such a nice person, that I could never connect the accused, troubled public image of Michael Jackson with the gentle, kind person I actually knew.

Eight years later, in 1999, I had an unexpected reunion with Michael. One of his top aides called me, and said that Michael wanted to meet with me about working for his publishing company again. I went to see Michael at his suite at the Beverly Hills Hotel.

It was great meeting with Michael again. At his suite, it was just him and his first son, Prince. It was clear that Michael had a good relationship with his son – Prince seemed like a normal, happy young boy, playing with his toys in the hotel suite.

Michael discussed hiring me for a new publishing position – as liaison between him and his two publishing companies: Sony/ATV Music and Mijac Music. It was a very happy meeting, and at the end Michael said, “Michael Jackson & Dale Kawashima – back together again!”

As it turned out, Michael was beginning to experience financial problems, so I was not hired to work for him again. But this 1999 meeting (and subsequent phone calls from him) only reconfirmed my positive impression of Michael. In my opinion, Michael not only was the great music artist and deserved King Of Pop, but he was a fine person who was loved by most people who truly knew him.

Additional postscript: Several months later, I truly loved watching the Michael Jackson: This Is It movie. I was pleased that the film portayed him in a positive way - the way that I knew him. If you haven't seen the movie yet, I highly recommend that you check it out. If you want to know what Michael Jackson was really like, just watch this movie.

www.singeruniverse.com/michaeljackson123.htm

Dale Kawashima (ex presidente ATV Music) ricorda il suo lavoro con Michael

Giugno 2009

CNsRDLd
    Ho avuto l'onore di lavorare direttamente con Michael Jackson per quattro anni e mezzo, come presidente della sua casa editrice ATV Music (prima che diventasse Sony / ATV Music). Dopo la sua triste e prematura scomparsa, ho voluto condividere i mie ricordi nel lavorare con Michael Jackson, per offrire una maggiore comprensione di questo grandissimo artista e della persona che è stata.

Era la fine dell’estate del 1987 quando, l’ottimo consigliere e avvocato di Michael, John Branca, mi telefonò. Branca aveva familiarità con il mio lavoro di editore indipendente per i cataloghi delle canzoni di Prince, Bruce Springsteen e Bob Dylan. Branca mi disse che ero stato preso in considerazione per la nuova posizione di presidente di ATV Music, che comprendeva i classici cataloghi dei Beatles, Little Richard e molti altri successi. Mi chiese se mi sarebbe piaciuto avere un colloquio con Michael Jackson per questa posizione.

Quello fu senza dubbio il momento più alto della mia carriera. Naturalmente dissi a Branca che ero molto interessato e quindi preparai una presentazione per il mio incontro con Michael. Una settimana dopo incontrai Michael nella sua roulotte sul set del video “Bad”.
    La mia presentazione gli piacque, così fui assunto!.

Michael aveva appena cominciato il suo World Tour per la promozione dell’album Bad, quindi, per la maggior parte del tempo, era in viaggio. Per le nostre riunioni, volavo da Tokyo a Londra. Mi ricordo di un incontro faccia a faccia con lui, mentre eravamo in viaggio sul treno che ci portava da Osaka a Tokyo. Durante i miei anni di lavoro con lui, parlavamo regolarmente al telefono degli affari ATV. Michael amava il business delle pubblicazioni e si sentiva onorato di pubblicare il grande catalogo dei Beatles.

Oltre ad occuparmi della promozioni delle hit del catalogo ATV, rappresentavo anche il catalogo di Michael, la MIJAC Music, che era amministrato da Warner-Chappell Music. Ho anche firmato contratti con nuovi autori e produttori per i quali Michael aveva mostrato interesse. Uno dei nuovi autori preferiti da Michael era Bryan Loren, con il quale ha lavorato su molti progetti e sessioni.
    Lavorare con Michael in ATV è sempre stata un'esperienza molto positiva. Era molto gentile, era una persona simpatica, era un piacere lavorare per lui. Michael era molto entusiasta del suo business nell’editoria, e abbiamo discusso modi per far crescere la società e acquisire nuovi cataloghi di canzoni.

La mia esperienza di lavoro con Michael è stata così positiva, che non sono mai riuscito a comprendere tutta la pubblicità negativa e le accuse contro di lui. Anche dopo aver lasciato ATV, alla fine del 1991, e aver lavorato come presidente della Irving Azoff’s Giant Music Publishing, avevo ancora solo bei ricordi del mio lavorare con Michael. Sì, certamente il suo aspetto è cambiato nel corso degli anni ma era una brava persona. Non riuscirei mai a collegare l’imputato, la travagliata immagine pubblica di Michael Jackson con la persona dolce e gentile che ho conosciuto nella realtà.

Otto anni più tardi, nel 1999, ho avuto una riunione inattesa con Michael. Uno dei suoi principali collaboratori mi chiamò e mi disse che Michael voleva incontrarmi per lavorare di nuovo con lui nella sua società editrice. Andai ad incontrare Michael nella sua suite del Beverly Hills Hotel.
    Era di nuovo grandioso, per me, incontrare Michael. Dentro, c’erano solo lui e il suo primogenito, Prince. Era chiaro che Michael aveva un buon rapporto con il figlio – Prince sembrava un normale, piccolo bambino felice, che giocava con i suoi giocattoli nella suite di un albergo.

Michael ed io discutemmo sulla possibilità che io assumessi una nuova posizione nella società – voleva un collegamento tra le sue due case editrici: Sony / ATV Music e Mijac Music. Fu un incontro molto felice e alla fine Michael esclamò: “Michael Jackson & Dale Kawashima - di nuovo insieme!”

Come si è saputo, Michael stava cominciando ad avere problemi finanziari, quindi non fui assunto di nuovo, ma questo incontro del 1999 ( e le successive telefonate che ci siamo scambiati), hanno riconfermato la mia assoluta impressione positiva di Michael. A mio parere, Michael non era solo il grande artista che tutti conosciamo e che meritava il titolo di King of Pop, era una brava persona che è stato veramente amato dalla maggior parte delle persone che lo hanno conosciuto personalmente.

Post Scriptum: Diversi mesi dopo, ho visto il film su Michael Jackson, This Is It e l’ho veramente amato. Mi ha fatto veramente piacere che il film lo ritragga in modo positivo – nel modo in cui io l’ho conosciuto.
    Se non avete ancora visto il film, ve lo consiglio. Se volete sapere com'era davvero Michael Jackson, guardatelo.

Traduzione: Emanuela Arezzi
    Michael Jackson - Discografia www.facebook.com/130195473691925/p...?type=3&theater

Edited by ArcoIris - 22/4/2018, 04:05

0 replies since 8/2/2015, 00:54   78 views