Dangerous

Status
    Anonymous

WEMBLEY: THE NIGHT MICHAEL WAS ON FIRE

OCTOBER 14, 2012
    by RAVEN

Part 1

u0W8Vbu
    I had no sooner thought of this as my all-so-clever subtitle when I realized some might take it as being in bad taste, considering Michael’s tragic Pepsi commercial accident in 1984. The fact that Michael was once, literally, on fire makes such catch-all phrases seem somehow in poor taste, but please hear me out.

After having given Wembley many repeat viewings, I simply know no better or more accurate way to describe it. Michael was on fire that night. Not that Michael ever gave a half-hearted performance. But as someone who has watched over hundreds of hours’ worth of MJ concert footage, spanning many eras, I can say without doubt that there was something extraordinarily magical about that night at Wembley.

He was, quite simply, on fire. In a way we would never quite see again, or at least not in the same way. Allow me to explain.

For many years now, the Dangerous Live at Bucharest DVD has stood as my ultimate favorite live Michael Jackson concert. Yes, it may be a bit overproduced and ultra slick, but as a DVD that perfectly captures what a Michael Jackson concert was like when Michael was at the top of his game, it has few rivals.

Despite having collected many MJ concerts through the years, Live at Bucharest has always been the one I come back to, especially when introducing newcomers to the magic of an MJ concert-those who, perhaps, may have been too young or those who simply need to know what all the “fuss” was about. It’s easy to see why Michael, the ultimate perfectionist, gave his personal stamp of approval to Live at Bucharest as “the” show to officially represent him.

But now we have Wembley, a concert that captures Michael at the height of the glorious Bad era, and performing with the added zeal of knowing The Royal Couple, Prince Charles and Lady Diana, were in the audience (well, let’s just say with the added zeal of knowing Lady Diana was there, but I’ll get to that shortly).
    Granted, this isn’t the first time I’ve seen a Bad era concert in its entirety. I’ve also had the Yokohama bootleg for several years, along with a few others. Taken as a whole, the Bad concerts represent an interesting phase in the evolution of live MJ shows, one in which we see him beginning to incorporate many of the polished and ultra choreographed segments of the later shows (the Jackson 5 medley and I Just Can’t Stop Loving You/She’s Out of My Life segments, for example, which would become staples over the years with little variation other than after HIStory, You Are Not Alone replaced She’s Out of My Life).
    You can see that he was already in the process of shaping and evolving his live shows into a full theatrical EXPERIENCE, not just a concert.

However, for those who value raw spontaneity as part of the concert experience, it has been generally felt that what Michael’s shows may have gained in one apsect, they lost in others over the years. By the time of HIStory, for example, the shows were, without exception, slickly produced, theatrical extravaganzas with little in the way of variation or surprise.

Sure, new numbers and new routines were added, such as the great Earth Song, but the performances and shows themselves seemed at times to become more and more mechanical and rote.
    By the time of HIStory, Michael didn’t smile as much, and sometimes simply didn’t seem to be enjoying performing. His anger had become darker, and real. More and more of the numbers were lip synched rather than sung live. Numerous health issues were starting to take their toll on his body. And though he remained, as always, the ultimate professional and the King of Pop who could put on a show like no other, a crucial ingredient seemed to be missing. But it wasn’t until viewing Wembley that I was able to put my finger on exactly what that “something” was.

It was the sheer joy of performing. Not in feeling the obligation of giving the crowd a spectacle, but in simply feeling the joy of being there, to dance and sing for us.

xAb9NUy
    Wembley is now running neck and neck with Bucharest as my all time favorite Michael Jackson concert, and just may surpass it. While Bucharest may offer MJ polished to a perfected sheen, Wembley offers something else-the pure, raw power of a Michael Jackson performance. What’s more, it allows viewers (especially those newcomers who weren’t on board in 1988) to experience this most interesting phase in Michael’s live performing career-a time when we were just beginning to see the evolution of the larger than life, theatrical extravaganzas, but in a much rawer and more stripped down form.

This wasn’t yet the Michael Jackson of the Grande Entrances, who would come out on stage and stand stock still for minutes on end while the crowd went nuts, or who would end his shows by creating the illusion of being rocketed into space. This was still a Michael who could allow himself to get caught up in the spontaneous flow of a gospel impromptu that goes on for minutes on end. Just watch and/or listen to the the “doggone my girl is gone” segment that bridges I’ll Be There and Rock With You; if you don’t get goosebumps from this, you must be dead! This segment takes on an even deeper, darker blues element when you realize that “doggone” is simply a polite euphemism for “god damn.” In this short but powerful exchange, Michael not only showcases his gospel chops but is also connecting to a tradition that goes back hundreds of years, across many generations of African-American injustice and pain.

While blues and gospel may seem like complete polar opposities (after all, the one is about spiritual uplifting while the other is about secular heartache often combined with images of lust) they are not so disparate as they seem. Both were direct responses from the slave experience; both became interlinked as a means of survival, endurance, and sometimes just plain communication.

In both cases, the music became an outet for a suppressed people to say what words could not. And if, as has so often been said, gospel is “God’s music” and the blues is the devil’s music, is this not then the perfect representation of our own human dichotomy? We strive for an ideal, to unite our soul with our Creator, yet in the meantime we still must sweat, cry, laugh, procreate and everything else that is uniquely part of being human. “Blues gospel”-a term that acknowledges this age old connection between the blues and gospel as both traditional forms of African-American music based on traditional African customs, is thus a natural blend that isn’t as odd as it may at first appear. In fact, gospel music actually derived from the blues.

The sound quality of this video isn’t great, but does showcase some of the quality of Michael’s amazing gospel runs performed during the Wembley concerts. Here he is exercising the “call and response” pattern that is the traditional hallmark of blues and gospel (and, in fact, would be an essential element of all Michael’s live performances; it’s this traditional “call and response” pattern, after all, that was at the root of all those “hee-hees” and “ows!”).

www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wrcbgcGGHq8

Michael’s reputation was rightfully earned as The King of Pop, but as such, it is sometimes easy to forget that he was also one helluva gospel singer. Yet there were many performances that would showcase just what a powerful gosepl singer he was. One example that comes immediatly to mind, of course, is his famous Grammy performance of Man In The Mirror (and indeed, MITM would become his ultimate gospel showpiece). But another fine example is I’ll Be There-especially the way he performed it live, with that wonderful vocal run at the end.

I’ve told this story before, but it bears repeating. When I saw This Is It at the theatre for the first time, you could actually hear the collective “oomph” from the audience when Michael performed that run at the end of “I’ll Be There.” It is a hard reaction to describe, but it’s like that moment I often experience at poetry readings when, say, a poet has just read a particularly moving line that strikes a collective chord; a collective nerve, in the audience.
    That moment when no one breathes; no one utters a sound, except to say “um” beneath their breaths.
    You could palpably feel his connection to the audience in that moment, as the “call and response” reaction that is such an ingrained and integral part of both blues and gospel came into play. We were all in his moment; it became our moment. Yes, we wanted to shout! We’ll be there with you, Michael. Every step of the way.

Bi4BzHU

In watching Wembley, this effect is doubled as Michael seques from I’ll Be There into the impromptu “call and response” ad lib of this little segment (which I call “doggone my baby is gone” for lack of anything more specific to call it, lol).

Then we are in for yet another treat as this powerful little gospel segment segues into a COMPLETE and FULLY LIVE performance of Rock With You, a track that sadly would all but disappear from Michael’s live setlist after the Bad tour. (Dirty Diana would also become a casualty after the Bad tour, yet ironically , perhaps, these songs emerge for me as two of the truly stand-out performances of this concert).

Watch those first few moments after Michael says “I think I wanna rock!” Look at that smile. That is pure, exuberant joy right there. And it is this pure, exuberant joy that carries the performance. Several times he can’t resist the urge to break out in spontaneous grins, whether it’s being caught in the moment, or catching someone’s eye from the sidelines.

This kind of goofy interplay might have ruined a lesser performance, but here it is both masterful and perfectly synchronized, without ever once feeling forced. It is also, sadly, the kind of spontaneous joy that we would begin to see less and less of, at least until This Is It, when the intimacy of rehearsal would again connect audiences to that Michael who loved to laugh and just be silly sometimes, even as he was always the perfectionist showman

But just as in later shows, Smooth Criminal would mark the transition-that point in the show when he would leave behind (at least for a little while) his r&b roots for the more current, pop oriented material. Even his costume change marks a kind of shift in identity, as he comes out nearly unrecognizable in a wide fedora hat, the brim pulled low to give him a more menacing and anonymous (yet suavely seductive) appearance. This, as I often call it, is the transition into Michael Jackson, Mack Daddy. And no one ever did it better than, well, Michael Jackson (take heed, Chris Brown!).

Smooth Criminal (note I am referring here to the performance as opposed to the track) as it eventually evolved was a setpiece that was shaped over many years. There are roots of it as far back as the live performances of Heartbreak Hotel on the Victory tour, and even the “do wop” chorus that is first heard at the beginning of Streetwalker.
    Here we see that Smooth Criminal has pretty much solidified into its most familiar form, with the do wop intro, the neon hotel sign, and Michael dancing in silhouette. But guess what famous feature is noticeably missing? Yep, tha’s right! The famous lean move-now inextricably linked with Smooth Criminal-hadn’t yet been introduced as part of the routine.
    So again, Wembley allows us a glimpse of a routine-in-progress, and a wonderful opportunity to trace the evolution of one of Michael’s best known performance pieces.

z0ppyMf

------------------

In part two, I will continue my look at Wembley with an analysis of a performance to truly end all MJ performances…or to put it more aptly, the performance that truly put the fire into this night that Michael was on fire.

End part one...

Source: www.allforloveblog.com/?p=7232

"The King of Pop"

Group
    Dangerous

Status
    Anonymous

Wembley: Michael Jackson quella notte era "in fiamme"

by Raven
    14 Ottobre 2012

Prima parte

u0W8Vbu
    Avevo appena pensato che il titolo di questo mio articolo fosse alquanto intelligente, quando mi sono resa conto che alcuni potevano considerarlo come un segno di cattivo gusto, ricordando il tragico incidente di Michael riportato sul set dello spot pubblicitario per la Pepsi nel 1984. Il fatto che Michael una volta è stato letteralmente in fiamme, l'uso di tali espressioni può sembrare in qualche modo inopportuno, ma vi prego di ascoltarmi fino in fondo.

Dopo aver visto il concerto di Wembley molte volte, semplicemente non conosco un modo migliore e un termine più appropriato per descriverlo. Quella notte Michael, sì, era "in fiamme". In effetti Michael non ha mai offerto prestazioni poco entusiasmanti, ma dopo aver visto i filmati dei concerti di MJ, per centinaia di ore, che coprono diversi anni, posso affermare senza alcun dubbio che quella notte a Wembley c'era qualcosa di straordinariamente magico.

Lui era, semplicemente, "in fiamme". In un ogni caso, non lo avremmo mai più rivisto di nuovo, almeno non nello stesso modo. Mi spiego meglio.

Nel corso degli anni, il DVD Dangerous Live in Bucarest è stato il mio concerto preferito di Michael Jackson. Sì, può essere visto come una sovrapproduzione e ultra agevole/liscia, ma questo DVD, cattura perfettamente l'anima di un concerto di Michael Jackson al culmine della sua carriera, quando aveva pochi rivali.
    Nonostante abbia collezionato molti concerti di MJ nel corso degli anni, quello di Bucarest è stato quello cui ho fatto sempre riferimento, specialmente quando hanno commercializzato nuovi magici concerti di MJ, per coloro che, forse, potrebbero essere stati troppo giovani o per quelli che hanno solo bisogno di sapere dello "scalpore" intorno a esso. E' facile capire perché Michael, l'ultimo perfezionista, ha dato la sua impronta personale d'approvazione al Dangerous Live in Bucarest come il concerto che lo rappresenta ufficialmente.

Adesso, però, abbiamo Wembley, un concerto che cattura Michael al culmine dell'era gloriosa di Bad, esibendosi con un maggiore zelo nel sapere che La Coppia Reale, il principe Carlo e Lady Diana, erano presenti al concerto (beh, diciamo solo che, con maggiore zelo di sapere che Lady Diana era lì, ma ve ne parlerò più avanti).
    Naturalmente, questo non è la prima volta che ho visto un concerto di 'Bad' nella sua interezza. Ho avuto un bootleg Yokohama da diversi anni, insieme con alcuni altri. In generale, i concerti di Bad rappresentano una tappa interessante nell'evoluzione delle esibizioni dal vivo di MJ, in cui si nota, che comincia a includere alcuni segmenti ricercati e molto coreografici negli intervalli dei successivi spettacoli (ad esempio frammenti dei Jackson 5 medley e I Just Can't Stop Loving You / She's Out of My, che sarà una caratteristica importante per molti anni, con lievi variazioni, in HIStory, dove You Are Not Alone sostituisce She's Out of My Life ).
    Si può anche osservare che erano già in fase di formazione e di evoluzione i suoi spettacoli dal vivo in una piena ESPERIENZA teatrale e non solo come un concerto.

Questo spettacolo, tuttavia è per chi apprezza la spontaneità cruda come una parte integrante dell'esperienza di un concerto e in generale si può comunque ritenere, ciò che gli spettacoli di Michael hanno acquisito in un aspetto, hanno perso in altri nel corso degli anni. Al momento di HIStory, ad esempio, tutti gli spettacoli erano, senza eccezione, produzioni perfette, concerti teatrali con lievi varianti e sorprese.

Certo, nuovi numeri e programmi sono stati aggiunti, come la magnifica Earth Song, ma le prestazioni e gli spettacoli in sé sembravano sempre più meccanicistici e memorizzati.
    Al tempo di HIStory, Michael era già poco sorridente, e talvolta non sembrava di sentire la gioia dell'esibizione. La sua rabbia interiore era diventata più cupa, e più reale. Sempre più numeri sono stati sincronizzati con il labiale piuttosto che cantare dal vivo, inoltre numerosi problemi di salute hanno cominciato a influenzare il suo corpo.
    E sebbene sia rimasto, come sempre, l'ultimo grande professionista, il Re del Pop che poteva organizzare uno spettacolo come nessun altro, un ingrediente importante sembrava mancare. Ma la visione di Wembley mi ha permesso di sottolineare che "qualcosa" invece lì c'era.

Era la gioia pura dell'esecuzione. Non sentiva l'obbligo di offrire al pubblico uno spettacolo, ma semplicemente sentiva la gioia di essere lì, a ballare e cantare per i suoi fan.

xAb9NUy
    Wembley è ora a pari merito con Bucarest come il mio concerto favorito di Michael Jackson, e può anche superarlo. Mentre Bucarest può offrire un MJ curato a uno splendore perfezionato, Wembley offre qualcosa di diverso, di più puro, potenza allo stato puro di una prestazione di Michael Jackson. Che cosa offre di più? In questo modo il pubblico (soprattutto i neofiti ​​che non erano a bordo nel 1988) può considerarla la fase più interessante della carriera degli spettacoli dal vivo di Michael - il momento in cui abbiamo appena cominciato a osservare l'evoluzione: grandi spettacoli teatrali dal vivo, ma in un modo molto più crudo e in una forma ridotta.

Non era ancora il periodo in cui Michael Jackson entrava in scena stando immobile qualche minuto, mentre la folla era in delirio, o che avrebbe finito i suoi spettacoli, creando l'illusione di essere lanciato come un razzo nello spazio.
    Era un altro Michael, che poteva permettersi di farsi catturare dal flusso spontaneo di un gospel estemporaneo, concentrato in pochi minuti alla volta. Basta guardare e/o ascoltare il "doggone my girl is gone" segmento che ci conduce a Rock With You, e se non percepisci i brividi che scorrono sulla pelle, allora devi essere morto!
    Questo segmento assume un aspetto ancor più profondo, radicato nella forma musicale del blues più cupo quando si rende conto che "doggone" è semplicemente un eufemismo per "dio maledetto". In questo breve ma intenso scambio, Michael non solo dimostra le tecniche del gospel, ma sta inoltre facendo riferimento a una tradizione che risale a centinaia di anni, dove attraverso le molte generazioni di afro-americani hanno subito ingiustizia e dolore.

Il blues e gospel possono anche apparire come forme musicali opposte, ma è l'esatto contrario (dopo tutto, uno è inerente l'ascesa spirituale e l'altro la angoscia del cuore laico spesso combinato con immagini di desiderio) non sono così disparati come sembrano. Entrambi erano una risposta diretta all'esperienza della schiavitù, i due s'intrecciarono come mezzo di sopravvivenza, resistenza, e, talvolta, di comunicazione.

In entrambi i casi, la musica è per il popolo oppresso il modo che non poteva esprimere con le parole. E se, come spesso si cita, il gospel è la "musica di Dio" e il blues è la "musica del diavolo", non è una rappresentazione perfetta della nostra stessa dicotomia umana? Noi lottiamo per un ideale, ci sforziamo di unire la nostra anima con il nostro Creatore, ma al tempo stesso dobbiamo anche sudare, piangere, ridere, procreare e tutto il resto che è parte unica dell'essere umano. "Blues Gospel", un termine, che riconosce quest'antico legame tra la musica blues e gospel, come una forma tradizionale di musica afro-americana sulla base di tradizionali costumi africani, è quindi una miscela naturale, non è così strano come può sembrare a prima vista. In effetti, la musica gospel in realtà deriva dal blues.

La qualità del suono di questo video non è buona, ma mostra alcune delle qualità sorprendenti del gospel di Michael, presentato durante i concerti di Wembley. Qui applica il modello del "grido e risposta" passaggio caratteristico della tradizione del blues e gospel (e di fatto diventa elemento importante degli spettacoli dal vivo di Michael: il modello tradizionale di "grido - risposta" alla fine diventa la base di tutte queste espressioni gutturali "hee-hees" e "OWS").

www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wrcbgcGGHq8

Michael giustamente si è guadagnato la reputazione come il Re del Pop, ma a volte è facile dimenticare che lui era anche un cantante gospel micidiale. Inoltre, ci sono stati molti spettacoli che mettono in risalto proprio le sue doti di cantante gospel. Un esempio che viene subito in mente, naturalmente, è la sua famosa interpretazione ai Grammy Awards del 1988 con Man In The Mirror (e, davvero MITM sarà la sua esibizione esclusiva del gospel). Ma un altro ottimo esempio è I'll Be There, in particolare il modo in cui si è esibito dal vivo, con quella voce meravigliosa alla fine.

Ho raccontato questa storia prima ( si riferisce ad un altro suo articolo - ndt), ma vale la pena ripeterla. Quando ho visto This Is It al cinema per la prima volta, si sentiva effettivamente l'energia collettiva del pubblico quando Michael eseguiva questa parte vocale finale di I'll Be There. E' difficile da descrivere l'emozione che si prova, ma quei momenti, li avverto spesso durante le letture di poesie, quando, ad esempio, un poeta ha appena letto una linea particolarmente commovente che colpisce l'anima collettiva, la sensibilità collettiva, tra il pubblico.
    Nel momento in cui tutti trattengono il respiro dallo stupore, nessuno emette un suono, ma solo un percettibile "um".
    Si poteva sentire la sua palpabile connessione con il pubblico in quel momento, ed è la stessa reazione al "grido e risposta" che affonda le sue radici ed è parte integrante del blues e del gospel. Siamo stati all'unisono in quel momento, diventando il nostro momento. Sì, abbiamo voluto gridare! Noi saremo lì con te, Michael. Ad ogni passo del cammino.

sTefeFj
    Tali momenti non erano rari durante il Wembley, ma la norma. La sua gioia era ed è contagiosa

Nel guardare Wembley, questo effetto è duplicato come Michael da I'llBeThere si immerge in un improvvisato "grido e risposta" questo piccolo segmento liberatorio di annuncio (che io chiamo "il mio bambino micidiale è andato" a causa della mancanza di qualcosa di più specifico per chiamarlo, lol).

Poi si passa a un altro divertente ossequio come questo piccolo potente segmento del gospel, segue in un completo spettacolo e completamente dal vivo di Rock With You, un brano che, purtroppo, scomparirà dalla setlist di Michael dopo il Bad tour. (Dirty Diana, è un'altra delle canzoni depennate dopo il Bad tourma ironia della sorte, forse, queste canzoni emergono per me come due delle prestazioni veramente stand-out di questo concerto).

Guarda quei primi istanti dopo che Michael dice: senti "Credo di voler il rock!" Osserva quel sorriso. Si tratta di pura gioia traboccante. Ed è questa pura, gioia esuberante che è portata dalla prestazione. Più volte non può resistere alla tentazione di lasciarsi andare in sorrisi spontanei, che si tratti di essere catturato nel momento, o incrociando lo sguardo di qualcuno al limite del palco.

Questo genere di interazione potrebbe disturbare uno spettacolo più piccolo, ma qui è così magistrale e perfettamente sincronizzato, senza mai percepirlo come una forzatura. Questo, purtroppo, è il tipo di gioia spontanea che avremmo cominciato a vedere sempre meno, almeno fino a This Is It, quando l'intimità delle prove ha avvicinato di nuovo il pubblico a quel Michael, che amava ridere ed essere solo appena un po' sciocco, ma è sempre stato un artista perfezionista.

Ma appena si passa al numero successivo, Smooth Criminal si nota una transizione - che rappresenta il punto dello spettacolo, quando si lascia alle spalle (almeno per un po') le radici del r & b per sostenere il più attuale, materiale pop. Anche il suo cambio di costume segna una sorta di variazione di identità, poiché esce quasi irriconoscibile in un ampio cappello fedora, la cui tesa è rivolta in basso per conferirgli un aspetto più minaccioso e anonimo (eppure soave seducente). Ciò, come lo chiamo spesso, è il passaggio di Michael Jackson, a Mack Daddy. E nessuno ha mai fatto meglio di, beh, Michael Jackson (prendi nota, Chris Brown!).

Smooth Criminal (nota mi riferisco alla prestazione rispetto alla traccia) in ultima analisi si è evoluta in una mossa studiata nel corso degli anni. Le sue radici risalgono a una prestazione dal vivo di Heartbreak Hotel del Victory tour, e anche il coro "do wop", che per la prima volta è eseguito all'inizio di Streetwalker.
    Qui vediamo Smooth Criminal è molto apprezzato nella sua forma più familiare, con l'introduzione "do wop", l'insegna dell'hotel al neon, e la danza di Michael in silhouette. Ma indovinate un po' quale è l'elemento famoso assente? Sì, come no! Il famoso movimento anti-gravità, ormai indissolubile legame con Smooth Criminal, non è ancora stato introdotto come parte del programma.
    Così, Wembley ci dà un assaggio del numero in corso di studio, e una grande opportunità per tracciare l'evoluzione di uno dei balli più famosi nelle rappresentazioni di Michael.

z0ppyMf

------------------------------------------------------

Nella seconda parte, continuerò con Wembley e con l'analisi di una performance che mette veramente fine a tutte le esibizioni di MJ ... o per dirla più propriamente, la performance che veramente ha infiammato questa notte...

Fonte: www.mjportal.com/it/king-of-pop/2-d...in-fiammeq.html

Edited by ArcoIris - 23/12/2014, 07:46

"The King of Pop"

Group
    Dangerous

Status
    Anonymous

WEMBLEY: THE NIGHT MICHAEL WAS ON FIRE

OCTOBER 22, 2012
    by RAVEN

Part 2

In Part 1, I was mentioning Smooth Criminal and the lack of the lean move. But what’s really amazing to note is that the performance is so flawlessly executed that the famous move isn’t really missed at all (just as I honestly cannot say I missed it in This Is It).
    This serves as an important reminder that all of Michael’s most iconic moves and dance routines were really just icing on the cake. They were the fancy trimmings; the razzle dazzle. But strip all of that away, and what you have is simply one of the most amazing performers of our time singing some of the most incredible songs of our time.
    The beauty of Michael is that he didn’t need gravity-defying moves to keep us spellbound. I am reminded of a conversation that I had with someone about the proposed This Is It shows. As per usual, the conversation boiled down to the inevitable questions: “Do you really think he could have done 50 shows?” and “What if he had failed to deliver?”

The thing you have to remember about Michael is that there is no way in hell he would have “failed to deliver.” My answer is one I still stand by. Michael could have come onstage as an old man at 70, and sat on a stool the entire time, and still no doubt deliver a performance more electrifying and mesmerizing that any performer half his age moving all over the stage. The bottom line is that either one has “it” or they don’t. Michael had “it” from the age of five. He didn’t need all the razzle dazzle.

zLjrmyB
    He Transported Us To Another Dimension

But there’s no denying that when he added all of the special tricks, illusions, and gravity-defying dance moves, his performances became something not quite of this stratosphere. He transported us to another dimension. That was his magic quality, and it’s something very few performers have accomplished with quite the same finesse.

gPSktkG
    As I mentioned before, one of the most fascinating aspects of Wembley for me is seeing many of his performances in this state of transition. One thing very apparent is that he had become heavily influenced during this period by the art of miming. You can see the influence of this art on many of his dance routines here, especially at the close of Human Nature and the beginning of Dirty Diana. (Michael’s use of white accessories and props, such as the white tape often worn on his fingertips, and of course, the white socks, can also be traced back to his fascination with mimes, who often wear white in order to direct the eye to specific hand and feet gestures).

There is also a touch of the old time silent performers such as Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton, both of whom were masters of pathos and of pantomine art, and both of whom Michael admired greatly. At Wembley, as he was doing throughout the Bad tour, we can see him introducing more and more of these elements into his stage performances.

While I’m on Dirty Diana, I might as well get to this performance that is undeniably the centerpiece of this concert. I keep up fairly religiously with what MJ fans are saying, and time and time again-when the question has been asked which performance from Wembley is the favorite, or the best, Dirty Diana almost universally tops the list. I had to finally get the disc to see for myself what all the fuss was about.

Let me just put it this way. If the entire disc had consisted of nothing but this one performance alone, it would have still been worth every penny of the cover price. In fact, if this was the night Michael was on fire-well, this was the performance that put the smokin’ hot in that fire!

The appeal of Dirty Diana as a performance piece is due to a lot of factors. For starters, it’s one of Michael’s darkest, hardest edged, and sexiest songs, and that alone is enough to make it a fan favorite. It has all of the element of great drama, with its tale of a souless vixen and the man whose own soul becomes consumed by hers. But perhaps its simple rarity as a performance piece is what has partially generated so much hype around Wembley.

The Bad tour would be the only tour to feature Dirty Diana as a routine part of the setlist. By the time of Dangerous, the number had been retired. Michael had planned to perform it for This Is It, but as we all know, that show never came to be and even the rehearsal footage that might have been was never filmed (it was the song Michael was due to rehearse on the day he died). Because the Bad tour was not as heavily documented as the Dangerous and HIStory tours (of which many, many performances are available on Youtube and as downloads) that meant less opportunity for those who weren’t there to experience what a live performance of Dirty Diana was like.

Also, part of the hype comes from the well publicized conversation that took place that night, just minutes before the show, between Michael and Princess Diana. Michael tells that famous story here:

The big question that has been on my mind-and I’m not alone here!-is what to believe? Michael said he had taken the song out of the show out of respect to her, and that it was “too late” to put it back in, despite Diana’s disappointment. So…was a last minute decision made to put it back in? The only other possibility is that this performance may come from one of his other Wembley performances that week, but the disc has been marketed and sold as “The Royal Performance” and from what I can tell, there are none of the obvious, telltale splices that would give this away as an “edited in” performance. It seems to be the real deal. But if so, it still leaves the big question: Was this performance just for “her” and might that explain the especial intensity that Michael put into it that night?

I wasn’t sure if the performance of Dirty Diana would live up to the hype, but then, from the moment Michael stepped out of that tent and into the spotlight, I knew this performance was going to be something special. While the rest of the show to that point had been entertaining-and at times mesmerizing-I knew from the first new notes of Dirty Diana that this performance was going to be the moment of transcendence.

The movie critic Leonard Maltin once said that whenever he sees a movie he knows he is going to love, there is always that one defining moment; that one scene from which he knows there is no turning back. For me, the equivalent of that would be the moment Michael steps behind the microphone at Wembley to sing Dirty Diana.
    This was the moment I truly realized I was watching more than just a really good Michael Jackson concert. I was witnessing something unique and inexplicably magical-a performance that would take 24 years to be shared with the rest of the world.

TFhdhXW
    And while I am on the topic of Dirty Diana, this performance is interesting for another reason as well. It provides a great opportunity to really see the interplay between Michael and Jennifer Batten, as they share the stage alone-just the two of them-throughout much of the song. There is a moment, right about the 1:04:13 mark into the song (2:47 in the video clip above) when Michael does his spin and drops to his knees as the music slows to a brooding tempo.

Jennifer freezes into a slight dip, then as Michael is rising behind the microphone stand as in a kneeling prayer position, Jennifer walks behind him.
    It’s supposed to be a very serious moment, but just as she is passing behind him, she reaches out and teasingly strokes the back of his hair. This was one of those rare, little moments-totally impromptu and unrehearsed-that makes Wembley such a delight.

But with so much focus on Dirty Diana, let’s not forget the rest of the show! Dirty Diana is immediatly followed up by Thriller, and…here is perhaps one of the best surpises and delights of all! While Thriller is certainly one of Michael’s most entertaining set pieces, I wouldn’t exactly ever call it one of his “sexy” numbers.
    After all, Thriller is all about choreographed zombies and ghouls stomping around, right? Wrong! At least, wrong here, for this is hands down one of the SEXIEST Thriller performances I have ever seen from Michael! Don’t believe me? Just watch at 1:09 when he rips off the wolf mask and struts his stuff!

That expression; those pouts, those solar plexus moves perfectly synched (“you hear the door slam”…bam!), all while strutting the stage like that proverbial “beast about to strike.”
    Well, you’ll have to tune in here in a few days to catch my Halloween post on the deconstruction of Thriller, but let’s just say this was the most fun I’ve had watching Thriller since This Is It offered up the delightful surprise twist of Threatened at the end.

What follows is yet another extrememly rare treat. As Michael disappears for an extended costume change, the band takes over for a lengthy jam session. We would never again see this kind of extended, impromptu interplay between Michael’s backup musicians, as future concerts became increasingly Michael-centric. Even during the extended costume changes, future concert goers would instead be shown video clips such as the Panther Dance sequence of Black or White in order to fill the void between numbers.
    Now, while I enjoy watching Michael’s great video clips as much as anyone, I have to say this jam session really got my blood pumping! It is good to be reminded that the magic of a Michael Jackson concert wasn’t just all about Michael, but was instead a collaborative effort that relied on the unique talents of many, including the best backup dancers, singers, and musicians. This segment gives them a “time to shine” (to borrow one of Michael’s own phrases).

This is followed by the intensely high octane Working Day and Night (though I’m not crazy about the Elvis-esque looking outfit he chose for that number) but anyway, while WDAN is a lot of fun, I’m going to skip ahead to Beat It.

CuPQ51X

Just as with Thriller, there is an attitude; a kind of of intense eroticism, if you will-that Michael brings to this performance, giving it a fresh edge. Even though I am always one to say how much I love mature Michael, when I see performances like this it is a reminder that no one could top Michael when he had the advantage of youth on his side. While his performances of these numbers may have remained consistent, it is, in fact, that youthful swagger that makes them so intense here. But perhaps something else, too.
    These songs were still fresh to Michael, and he still believed in them. When he sang the words, you could tell he still believed intensely in the message behind them. He was still having fun with them.

As I said, it’s not that the performances of Beat It and other numbers would become any less consistent as the years wore on, but they did seem at times to become much more rote. That is part of the appeal of Wembley, for it gives those fans such as myself (who have more or less worked our way backwards, starting our appreciation with the later shows and working back to discover the earlier performances) an opportunity to see the youthful energy of Michael Jackson encapsulated. “Ho!” never sounded quite so menacing.

Sadly, perhaps, it also serves as a reminder of the intense pressure Michael was under as he prepared for the 02 shows, knowing people would expect him to be able to do at 50 what he had done here, at 29. But I’ve always believed that the pure enegy and freshness of those shows would have galvanized him. Still, even if they had not, we have to allow the man some slack. He was fifty years old, returning to the stage for the first time in nearly a decade.

But if This Is It remains the ultimate glimpse of What Might Have Been, Wembley stands as an important record of What Was. And an even greater appreciation of the enormity of what was lost.

pBbHGw6
    If This Is It Remains The Ultimate Glimpse Of “What Might Have Been,” Wembley Stands

Just a couple of more performances to comment on: Billie Jean, by this point, had pretty much evolved into the routine that Michael would perform consistently for the rest of his career, with perhaps the only exception being that he hadn’t yet introduced the shaving case routine or the element of pathos he would bring to it later.
    At its core, Billie Jean was a routine that varied little from Michael’s original, legendary Motown 25 performance, the only difference being that he would later add a very extended improv segment where he dances only to the beat of the drum (and which is already fully in place by the time of the Bad tour). Watch these segments of Billie Jean closely, because even though they may look the same, Michael never performed them exactly the same way twice!
    What especially impressed me about this Wembley performance was the smoothness of his side moonwalk, a step that is, if anything, even more technically challenging to execute than his more famous backwards moonwalk step.
    I have never seen Michael give a bad performance of Billie Jean, but I have definitely seen some performances that were more “on” than others.

This performance isn’t “the” best but definitely ranks in the top five. As always, he is simply electrifying to watch. And as always, there is a point where one almost wonders if he has ceased to be human, for when Michael dances-and when he is truly in his element-he seems to become something not quite of this world.

The high energy continues into Bad (another treat as this was also a song that would be retired from live performances after the Bad tour). But while the entire song is great, this is really worth watching for the fun interplay between Michael and the musicians as the song closes out.

Michael was never more adorable (and yes, I’m an unashamed fan girl so I can get away with saying that!), whether it is doing a surprise two-step with Sheryl Crow, or even some good natured homoerotic play with keyboardist Greg Phillinganes (and I will quote for you guys what my husband said to me after watching that little exchange-“He’s definitely not gay!” Indeed, only a guy super confident in his own sexuality would have ever allowed that little exchange).

The fun continues with a group of kids who join Michael onstage, including one youngster whom Michael pretends to be irate with when the kid very nearly upstages him (but it’s all in good fun!).

Lastly, Man In The Mirror is as powerful as always. But to reiterate what I have been saying throughout the entire review, everything about Michael seemed to have an especially intense aura that night. As he enters the song’s fade out, and spreads his arms, gazing upward (a gesture that became a kind of prayer or invocation for him) the moment is extended for so long that it almost begins to feel a little surreal, even a bit scary.
    I watched that moment again tonight, and it seemed as if whatever energy he was drawing at that moment could be palpably felt, even through the monitor screen and across the 24 years that physically separated myself from him at that moment. And yet, I felt it, as real as if I was standing right in front of him.

Michael’s power; his ability to channel whatever that divine energy was that coursed through him and gave vent in his performances, was truly something incredible indeed. And, just for a moment near the close of Wembley-if you allow yourself the moment-you can feel it with him.

B2tq2b4
    Michael’s power; his ability to channel whatever that divine energy was that coursed through him and gave vent in his performances, was truly something incredible indeed. And, just for a moment near the close of Wembley-if you allow yourself the moment-you can feel it with him.

Perhaps that was what his open arm stance was really all about. In that moment, he was doing more than just receiving the energy that fed him. He was giving it back, a thousandfold.

So has Wembley replaced Live at Bucharest as my all time favorite Michael Jackson concert? That’s one I will still have to give some thought to. But for sure, this is a disc to be treasured by all fans. We have now, captured forever, our Michael at the height of one of his most fondly remembered eras.

It’s a reminder that even as much as I love mature Michael, there is still something about youthful Michael that can’t be argued. His power as a performer never diminished, but man, oh man, that strut, that attitude, that sheer in-your-face energy…this was Michael in his prime.

And Wembley has captured it. Gloriously.

Source: www.allforloveblog.com/?p=7250

"The King of Pop"

Group
    Dangerous

Status
    Anonymous

Wembley: Michael Jackson quella notte era "in fiamme"

by Raven
    14 Ottobre 2012

Seconda parte

Nella parte 1, accennavo Smooth Criminal, ma ciò che è davvero incredibile notare è che l'idea della prestazione è così perfetta che l'elemento in realtà famoso non è davvero mancato (onestamente non posso dire che mi è mancato in This Is It).
    Questo serve come un promemoria importante che tutti i movimenti più iconici e le coreografie di Michael erano come la ciliegina sulla torta. Erano ricercati dettagli, sfarzo. Ma se togli via tutti gli orpelli, quello che si ha è semplicemente uno degli artisti più sorprendenti del nostro tempo che cantano alcune delle canzoni più incredibili contemporanee.
    La bellezza di Michael è che lui non aveva bisogno dell'elemento che sfida la gravità per affascinarci. Ricordo una conversazione che ho avuto con qualcuno per la presentazione della mostra This Is It. Come al solito, la conversazione si riduceva alla inevitabile domanda: "Pensi davvero che avrebbe potuto fare 50 spettacoli?" E "E se non fosse riuscito a farli?"

La cosa da ricordare di Michael è che non c'è niente che non sarebbe stato "in grado di offrire".La mia risposta è che Michael avrebbe potuto presentarsi sul palco come un uomo anziano di 70 anni, o seduto su una sedia per tutto il tempo, ma non c'è dubbio avrebbe creato una presentazione più elettrizzante e affascinante che qualsiasi star della metà dei suoi anni in movimento su tutto il palco. La ragione è che nessuno ha "tutto" o semplicemente non possono. Michael è stato "tutto" dall'età di cinque anni. Lui non aveva bisogno di alcun orpello

zLjrmyB

Ma non c'è dubbio che quando ha aggiunto tutti i trucchi speciali, illusioni, e passi di danza sfidando la gravità, le sue prestazioni sono diventate qualcosa di stratosferico. Ci ha portato a un'altra dimensione. Era quella sua caratteristica magica, e pochissimi artisti hanno raggiunto la stessa cosa con tanta grazia.

gPSktkG
    Come ho già detto in precedenza, uno degli aspetti più interessanti di Wembley per me - è osservare molte delle sue prestazioni in questa fase di transizione. Una cosa molto evidente è che a quel tempo era influenzato dall'arte dei mimi. Si può vedere tale influenza in molte delle sue coreografie qui, soprattutto alla fine di Human Nature e l'inizio di Dirty Diana. ( Michael ha iniziato a utilizzare accessori di scena bianchi, come il nastro bianco, spesso indossato sulla punta delle dita, e, naturalmente, le calze bianche, per sottolineare il suo fascino, come i mimi, che spesso indossano abiti bianchi, al fine di catturare l'attenzione del pubblico sulla gestualità delle mani e piedi).

Ci sono influenze anche di grandi artisti di pantomima dei vecchi tempi come Charlie Chaplin e Buster Keaton, entrambi erano maestri di pathos e della pantomima, che Michael ha ammirato molto. A Wembley, così come in tutto il Bad tour, possiamo vedere che presenta sempre più di questi elementi nei suoi spettacoli con caratteristiche teatrali.

Per quanto riguarda Dirty Diana, secondo il mio punto di vista, è certamente, la parte centrale di questo concerto. Sono assolutamente d'accordo con quello che i fan di MJ sostengono, quando è posta la domanda, quale sia la prestazione a Wembley favorita, o migliore, Dirty Diana quasi universalmente si trova al primo posto dell'elenco. Poi finalmente è stato pubblicato il filmato e ho potuto vedere di persona perché era sorto tutto questo scalpore.

Permettetemi questa considerazione. Se l'intero filmato avesse contenuto la sola visione di questa interpretazione, il disco varrebbe ugualmente ogni centesimo speso su di esso. Infatti, se questa era la notte in cui Michael era in fiamme, bene, proprio questa è stata la presentazione, che ha innescato la scintilla di quel fuoco!

sA9ER2m
    L'interesse a Dirty Diana come segmento di spettacolo è dovuto a molti fattori. In primo luogo, è una delle canzoni più cupe, più heavy, e più sensuali di Michael, che di per sé è sufficiente a renderla una delle preferite dei fan.

Ha tutti gli elementi del grande dramma, con la sua storia di una donna astuta senza cuore e un uomo la cui anima è consumata da essa. Ma forse è solo una rarità, come parte della campagna pubblicitaria che è stata generata attorno a Wembley.

Il Bad tour è stato l'unico, in cui Dirty Diana era un numero usuale del programma. Al momento di Dangerous, il numero è stato ritirato. Michael aveva pianificato di eseguirla in This Is It, ma come tutti sappiamo, questo spettacolo non ha avuto luogo, e anche i filmati delle prove non potrebbero mai essere stati girati (Michael doveva provare la canzone il giorno della sua morte ). Poiché il Bad tour non è stato così ampiamente documentato come i tour Dangerous e HIStory (di cui molti, molti spettacoli sono disponibili su Youtube e come download), il che significa meno opportunità per chi non era lì per esperienza, ciò che rappresenta una interpretazione dal vivo di Dirty Diana.

Inoltre, parte della campagna pubblicitaria proviene dalla conversazione, ben pubblicizzata, che si è tenuta quella sera, pochi minuti prima dello spettacolo tra Michael e la principessa Diana. Michael racconta la famosa storia nel seguente modo in "Private Home Movies".

Michael ha detto che ha rimosso la canzone dalla scaletta dello spettacolo per rispetto a lei, e che era già "troppo tardi" per inserirla, nonostante la delusione di Diana. Quindi ... è stata una decisione dell'ultimo minuto - di rimetterla?

L'unica possibilità è che questo spettacolo possa provenire da una delle sue apparizioni a Wembley nel corso della settimana, ma il disco è stato commercializzato e venduto come "La Performance Royal" e da quello che posso dire, non c'è alcuna prova che questa presentazione sia modificata. Questo sembra essere il vero affare. Ma se è così, c'è ancora una domanda: lo spettacolo era solo per "lei" e questo potrebbe spiegare la speciale energia che Michael ha profuso in quella notte?

Non ero sicura che la prestazione di Dirty Diana sarebbe stata messa in atto a causa della campagna pubblicitaria, ma poi, nel momento in cui Michael è uscito dalla tenda e si fermò sotto i riflettori, sapevo dentro di me, che questa esibizione sarebbe stata qualcosa di speciale. Mentre il resto dello spettacolo fino a quel momento era stato divertente e, a volte affascinante, era chiaro già dalle prime note di Dirty Diana che tale dichiarazione sarebbe stato un momento trascendentale.

Il critico cinematografico Leonard Maltin una volta ha riferito che quando guarda un film, lui sa che lo amerà, perché c'è sempre un momento cruciale, una scena, dopo la quale non si più tornare indietro. Per me, questo era l'equivalente di un tempo in cui Michael era dietro il microfono a Wembley per cantare Dirty Diana.
    Questo è stato il momento in cui ho veramente capito che stavo guardando più di un semplice concerto di Michael Jackson. Stavo assistendo a qualcosa di unico e inspiegabilmente magico - lo spettacolo che 24 anni dopo sarebbe stato mostrato in tutto il mondo.

TFhdhXW

La prestazione di Dirty Diana, è interessante anche per un altro motivo. Si presenta un'ottima opportunità di vedere realmente il rapporto tra Michael e Jennifer Batten, poiché condividono il palco da soli, solo loro due, per la maggior parte della canzone.
    Questo momento è a circa 01:04:13 nella canzone quando Michael fa una rotazione su se stesso e cade in ginocchio, e il ritmo della la musica è lento e cogitabondo. Jennifer è ferma e per un attimo eclissata nell'oscurità, poi come Michael rivolge il suo sguardo al cielo, da dietro supporto del microfono, in posizione di preghiera, Jennifer cammina dietro di lui.
    Si presuppone che tal momento sia molto intenso, ma quando passa alle sue spalle, lei allunga la mano e beffardamente gli accarezza i capelli.
    E' stato uno di quei rari piccoli momenti, completamente spontanei e semplici, facendo di Wembley un concerto delizioso.

Ma con tanta attenzione a Dirty Diana, non dimentichiamo il resto dello spettacolo! Dirty Diana è seguita immediatamente da Thriller, e ... questo è probabilmente è una delle migliori fonti di sorpresa e piacere dello spettacolo! Nonostante Thriller, sia certamente una delle parti più interessanti del programma di Michael, certo non avrei mai pensato a uno dei suoi numeri "sensuali". Alla fine, Thriller - balla su una coreografia con zombie e demoni, giusto? Sbagliato! Almeno qui, in questo spettacolo, poiché è una delle interpretazioni di Thriller più SENSUALI che abbia mai visto di Michael! Non mi credi? Basta guardare a 1:32 quando si toglie la maschera e il lupo avanza con orgoglio mostrando il meglio di sé !

Quell'espressione, il broncio, il movimento del plesso solare perfettamente sincronizzato ("si sente lo sbatacchiamento.... di una porta" BAM!), mentre l'atto (stile musica dance, caratterizzato da particolari movimenti, la cui essenza è, che il passaggio completo è suddiviso in vari piccoli passi - piede destro in avanti, posteriore sinistro, il corpo a metà) sul palco è come una "Bestia proverbiale che stia per attaccare". Bene dovrete collegarvi qui tra alcuni giorni per leggere il mio topic di Halloween sulla decostruzione di Thriller, ma permettetemi di dire appena che quella è stata la cosa più divertente fino a Thriller dal This Is It in cui ha offerto la deliziosa sorpresa con Threatened alla fine.

Quello che segue è un altro piacere estremamente raro. Quando Michael scompare per un lungo periodo per cambiarsi il costume, il gruppo dei musicisti assume la direzione intrattenendo il pubblico con un'estesa jam session. Nei concerti futuri non si vedrà mai più così estesa, l'interazione estemporanea tra musicisti di sostegno di Michael, poiché l'artista assumerà una maggiore centralità nello spettacolo. Anche durante i lunghi periodi di cambio costume, ai visitatori dei concerti futuri saranno invece presentati i video clip, come la sequenza della "Panther Dance" di Black or White, per colmare il vuoto tra i numeri.
    Ora, mentre mi piace guardare sul grande schermo i video clip di Michael come chiunque altro, devo dire che questa jam session mi ha davvero entusiasmato! E' bene ricordare che la magia di un concerto di Michael Jackson non era apportata solo da lui, ma era complice di uno sforzo di collaborazione che si è basata sui talenti unici di molti, tra cui i migliori ballerini, cantanti e musicisti. Questo segmento dà loro un "momento di splendore" (per prendere in prestito una delle frasi di Michael).

Segue poi, dall'elevato numero di ottani Working Day And Night (confesso di non nutrire una passione per Elvis, ma per questo numero si è ispirato al suo stile di abbigliamento), tuttavia, anche se WDAN è molto divertente, ho intenzione di tralasciarla per passare a Beat It.

CuPQ51X

Proprio come con Thriller, c'è un atteggiamento, un'intensa forma di erotismo, se si vuole - questo è ciò che Michael porta a queste prestazioni, offrendo un aspetto più fresco. Anche se ho sempre sostenuto di amare particolarmente Michael in età matura, quando vedo una dichiarazione come questa, è un ricordo che nessuno poteva superare Michael quando ha avuto il vantaggio della gioventù dalla sua parte.
    Mentre la sua prestazione di questo numero è rimasto invariato, è, di fatto, la spavalderia giovanile che lo rende così intenso qui. Queste canzoni erano ancora nuove a Michael, e lui credeva ancora in esse. Quando ha cantato le parole, si sentiva che credeva ancora intensamente nel loro messaggio. Ancora si stava divertendo.

Come ho detto, questo non significa che Beat It e gli altri numeri sono diventati meno significativi, come avverrà più tardi, quando il giorno volge alla sera. Ma a volte sembrano che siano diventati più meccanici. Questo fa parte del fascino di Wembley, perché dà ai veri appassionati come me (che poi è circa andare in direzione opposta, partendo dagli spettacoli di maggiore successo e tornare più tardi per scoprire le prestazioni precedenti) la possibilità di vedere l'energia giovanile incarnata in Michael Jackson. "Oh!"Non l'ha mai fatta così minacciosa.

pBbHGw6
    Purtroppo, forse, serve anche a ricordare l'intensa pressione cui era sottoposto Michael, mentre si preparava per gli 02 spettacoli, sapendo che le persone si aspettano che lui fosse in grado di fare a 50 anni quello che ha fatto qui alla bella età di 29 anni. Ma ho sempre creduto che l'energia pura e la freschezza di questi spettacoli lo avrebbe ringiovanito. Tuttavia, anche se non fosse successo, dobbiamo concedere all'uomo un certo periodo di inattività. Aveva 50 anni, sarebbe tornato sul palco per la prima volta dopo quasi un decennio.

Ma se This Is It è lo scorcio finale di quello che poteva essere, Wembley si pone come uno spettacolo di ciò che era. E un apprezzamento ancora maggiore l'enormità di ciò che è stato perduto.

Rimangono da commentare solo altre due prestazioni: Billie Jean, al momento, era praticamente trasformata in un numero che Michael avrebbe compiuto costantemente per il resto della sua carriera, forse, con l'unica differenza che non era ancora entrato nella fase della rasatura o elemento di pathos, che porterà in un secondo momento.
    Intrinsecamente, Billie Jean è stato il numero, che poco è cambiato dall'originale leggendario spettacolo di Michael al Motown 25, con la sola eccezione che avrebbe in seguito aggiunto un segmento d'improvvisazione molto esteso, dove balla solo al ritmo del tamburo (e che è già pienamente in atto al momento del Bad tour ). Osservate questo segmento di Billie Jean con attenzione, perché, anche se può sembrare simile, Michael non ha mai cantato nello stesso modo due volte!
    Che cosa mi ha colpito particolarmente di questo spettacolo a Wembley è la scorrevolezza del suo moonwalk laterale, un passo che tecnicamente è più difficile da eseguire rispetto al più famoso moonwalk all'indietro.
    Non ho mai visto Michael offrire una scarsa prestazione di Billie Jean, ma sicuramente ho visto alcuni spettacoli che erano più "on" rispetto al altre.

Questa visione non è delle migliori, ma si colloca sicuramente tra le prime cinque. Come sempre, lui elettrizza la folla. E come sempre, c'è un punto in cui quasi tutti si chiedono se, fosse veramente un essere umano, perché quando Michael danza - è veramente nel suo elemento e lui sembra diventare qualcosa non proprio di questo mondo.

L'alta energia continua in Bad(anche questa canzone sarà ritirata dalle performance dal vivo dopo il Bad tour). Ma mentre l'intera canzone è magnifica, questo vale davvero la pena vedere per il piacere di osservare l'interazione tra Michael e i musicisti come la canzone finisce.
    Michael non è mai stato più affascinante (e sì, io sono una ragazza fan sfacciata, in modo da poter dire anche questo!) Lui si rende sorprendente in due fasi con Sheryl Crow, o persino con un buon gioco omoerotico con il tastierista Greg Phillinganes (e cito per voi quello che mio marito mi ha detto dopo aver visto questa piccola complicità: "Non è assolutamente gay!" Davvero, solo un ragazzo, fiducioso nella sua super-sessualità, altrimenti non avrebbe mai tollerato un simile gioco).

Il divertimento continua con un gruppo di bambini che si uniscono a Michael sul palco, tra cui un ragazzo, dove Michael simula di essere irato perché l'ha di poco superato (ma è tutto nel buon divertimento!).

B2tq2b4

Infine, Man In The Mirror. Potente come non mai. Ripeto ciò che ho affermato nell'intera recensione:Michael sembrava avere un'aura particolarmente intensa quella notte. Quando la canzone inizia a svanire, e Michael estende le braccia, guardando in alto (un gesto diventato per lui una sorta di preghiera o richiesta) il momento è così persistente che si inizia a percepire un po' surreale, anche un po' pauroso.
    Ho guardato questo momento anche stasera, e sembrava come se tutta l'energia creata, al momento, si poteva sentire tangibilmente attraverso lo schermo del monitor anche dopo 24 anni, che fisicamente mi separava da lui in quel momento. Eppure, sento che è così reale, come se fossi in piedi proprio di fronte a lui.

Il potere di Michael, la sua capacità di essere un canale per la trasmissione dell'energia divina che scorreva attraverso di lui e ha dato sfogo nelle sue prestazioni, in realtà è stato davvero qualcosa di incredibile. E, solo per un attimo verso la fine di Wembley, se ti concedi un momento, ti puoi sentire con lui.

Forse quella sua posizione con le braccia aperte è davvero tutto. A questo punto, non si limita a ricevere l'energia che essa l'ha alimentato. L'ha restituita un migliaio di volte.

Così Wembley ha sostituito il Live a Bucarest come il mio concerto preferito di Michael Jackson? E' quello cui devo ancora pensare. Ma certo, questo disco sarà apprezzato da tutti gli appassionati. Ora abbiamo catturato per sempre, il nostro unico Michael nel bel mezzo della sua epoca più memorabile.

E' un ricordo che, anche per quanto ami il Michael maturo, c'è ancora qualcosa in quel Michael giovane che è fuori discussione. Il suo potere come performer non è mai diminuito, ma l'uomo, oh! .. quel incedere impettito, quell'atteggiamento, quella energia pura sul suo volto ... quello era Michael nella sua perfezione.

E Wembley l'ha catturato. Gloriosamente.

Traduzione di: Grazia28 per mjjforum.it – Fonte: www.mjportal.com/it/king-of-pop/2-d...in-fiammeq.html

Edited by ArcoIris - 26/12/2014, 14:46

"The King of Pop"

Group
    Just Good Friends

Status
    Michael è sempre il n° 1, grazie per lo splendido racconto Arcoiris

"The King of Pop"

Group
    Dangerous

Status
    Anonymous
    Un assaggio.. piccolo piccolo

Video

"The King of Pop"

Group
    Just Good Friends

Status
    Straordinario, grazie Arcoiris

"The King of Pop"

Group
    Dangerous

Status
    Anonymous
    Per rimanere in tema ripropongo - in aggiunta a questa dettagliata recensione - anche l'articolo di Joe Vogel postato qualche tempo fa ..
    Ecco il link:

Un pezzo di storia: Michael Jackson Live at Wembley Stadium

il titolo è più che azzeccato.. UN PEZZO DI STORIA! :vibrate:

Edited by ArcoIris - 26/12/2014, 22:54

7 replies since 22/12/2014, 14:31   509 views