Il Re del Pop e il Padrino del Soul

« Older   Newer »

1. Wivvy

User deleted

The King Of Pop and The Godfather Of Soul

7oj7KAD

Willa: I don’t think there can be any doubt that James Brown was one of Michael Jackson’s earliest and most profound influences as a singer, dancer, and larger-than-life public figure. We’ve probably all seen clips of Michael Jackson’s 1968 audition at Motown, where he performs “I Got the Feelin'” in perfect James Brown mode – the inflections, the screams and drops, the a capella “baby, baby, baby” at the break, the spins and shuffles … even the confident way he grabs the microphone stand and slings it behind him at the opening notes. It’s a perfect imitation by an 9-year-old musical prodigy who loved James Brown and watched his every move. Here’s a clip:

This week Joie and I are very happy to be joined once again by Charles Thomson, a journalist who is probably best known among Michael Jackson fans for his insightful analysis of media bias in coverage of the 2005 trial. We have links to a number of Charles’ articles in our Reading Room, including a recent post he wrote about Michael Jackson’s participation in the 2006 World Music Awards in London, an event Charles attended, and how that event was reported in the media.

It’s fascinating, Charles, to read your first-hand account of the scene at Earls Court Arena, along with video footage you provide of the extremely warm reception Michael Jackson received there, and then compare that with the “chorus of boos” that was reported again and again in the London tabloids, and later the mainstream media as well. As you say in your post, this wasn’t a case of different observers interpreting a situation in different ways. It was “a purely fabricated story,” as you say, and that’s obvious from the video footage you provide.

But Charles, you’re also a “very passionate” James Brown fan, and you’ve even interviewed several people who knew him and worked with him, right? How did that come about?

Charles: Funnily enough, the last time I saw James Brown was less than three weeks before that World Music Awards ceremony in 2006. He appeared at the Roundhouse in London to perform a concert for the BBC. I was on Mr. Brown’s guest list and attended a pre-show press conference, where I got to ask him a question. What an honor!

Willa: Really?! You actually spoke to James Brown himself? That’s awesome! So how did you become interested in his music?

Charles: It was through Michael Jackson that I became a James Brown fan. I was roughly seven or eight when I discovered Michael Jackson and started collecting his music. My mother, who grew up listening to the Jackson 5, introduced me to his early output and to Motown in general. That’s where I developed my love of soul music.

I was always aware of James Brown, cited constantly by Michael and many others as the greatest entertainer of all time, but this was before the days of YouTube, before you could search “James Brown” and thousands of videos appeared.

Willa: It’s amazing how YouTube and sites like it have changed how we learn about music, isn’t it? It’s wonderful to have such a wealth of videos and films and concert footage available at your fingertips, but I have to admit I miss the days of going to the record store to buy albums.

Joie: Yeah, the entire music industry is in such a strange place right now. There are almost no record stores anymore. I mean, they don’t exist. I find something about that very sad. Even though it is awesome to have this wealth of music right at our fingertips, as you say, it’s just very weird to think that actual record stores – and even music sections in certain department and electronic stores – are dead.

And what you’ve just said about YouTube makes me think about my MTV rant. You know, I still think it is the height of absurdity to have a television station named Music TV whose programming has absolutely nothing to do with music anymore. And I’ve made a lot of noise in the past about how they should either change the name or get back to their roots. But the truth is, they really just need to change the name because the concept is now irrelevant since people can access YouTube and sites like it right on their laptops, tablets and phones.

Charles: It is sad that we are losing our record stores. The big HMV in Piccadilly, London, closed down recently and was replaced by a memorabilia shop, of which there are already about 10 within walking distance. It’s a shame so many people aren’t prepared to pay for good music. I always buy records by artists I like, because I want them to be able to make more.

That said, even 10 years ago – because I didn’t live in the city – my local record stores’ soul sections were rather pitiful. On top of that, I was too young to own a credit card and buy things online, and too young to travel into London on my own, where the record stores might actually have a decent selection. So for years, the closest I got to understanding why Michael loved James Brown so much was a live CD I found in a bargain bin at my local shopping mall. The power and energy of the performance was incredible but I’d never properly seen him in performance mode.
    In 2004, I spotted in a newspaper that James Brown was taking part in a free concert in London and tickets were being raffled. I entered and won.

Willa: Wow, Charles, you seem to have extraordinary luck when it comes to James Brown! It’s like you were fated to cover him.

Charles: I do feel very lucky that I happened to spot that advert and happened to win tickets. Without those two pieces of incredibly good fortune, my life could have been very different. As it turned out, I only had a small window of time to see James Brown live before he passed away, so I’m glad I packed in as many gigs as I did.

That concert in 2004 was one of the first times I was allowed to go to London with my friends. I was 16. Other performers on the bill included Ozzy Osbourne and Rod Stewart, but James Brown – who was 71 – performed the longest and best set of the day. I queued for hours to get to the front and he was worth every minute. His band was mindblowing. He did his signature moves and the running man over and over again and seemed to barely break a sweat. I was hooked.

I saw him again in 2005 and then two more times in 2006. In 2005 I was right in the front row. He performed “I Got the Feelin’” with the “baby, baby, baby” breakdowns. It was unbelievable.

Willa: So he was in London a lot – more than I would have expected – and still performing a lot of shows, especially for a man in his 70s.

Charles: He toured constantly. It was pretty dependable that he would do a European tour every year. It not only kept Mr. Brown fit (and he tended to let himself go a bit once he clocked off, so it was good for him to keep working – he died during a two-month hiatus in 2006, the longest break from work he’d taken in about ten years), but there were dozens of other people who were reliant on him for their income.

For instance, the nature of his shows was such that his band had to be incredibly disciplined. They had to know probably 100 songs, and they had to be able to fall in and out of them at Mr. Brown’s whim. He would communicate with them through hand signals throughout the show. Michael Jackson did the same thing on the Bad tour, for instance, when he would signal how many “stabs” he wanted during the dance portion of “Another Part of Me” by placing discreet hand signals into his dance moves.

Willa: And apparently, some of James Brown’s hand signals to the band were fines! Each time he flashed five fingers at you, he was upping the fine. Soul Survivor: the James Brown Story talks about that about 40 minutes in. Here’s a link. That cracked me up, but it also shows just how aware he was of everything that was happening onstage with his band and background singers. If they weren’t giving it their all and meeting his expectations, he let them know it, right then and there.

Charles: Mr. Brown couldn’t put on a show the way he wanted by just hiring whoever was available as and when he felt like it. He needed his tightly-drilled band behind him – but to have that, he had to keep them working, or else they might not be there when he needed them.

Joie: That’s incredible.

Willa: I agree. I’d never thought about that before – that he had to provide steady employment for his band to keep them.

Joie: And it really explains why he was always known as “the hardest working man in show business,” doesn’t it?

Charles: His shows were stupendous. Although in later years he would fluctuate a little bit – sometimes sounding a little weak or not being able to dance as energetically as he usually did – the whole experience of his shows was extraordinary. It was like being transported back in time, or witnessing some incredible ancient ritual. Jonathan Lethem wrote a brilliant article called “Being James Brown” for Rolling Stone magazine in 2006, which included the most vivid, beautiful description of the magic and the mysticism of a James Brown show. I would advise everyone to seek it out.

More than anyone else I’ve seen, Mr. Brown was the epitome of the term “living legend.” It seemed slightly unbelievable at that gig in 2005, as I staked out my spot right in front of the stage, that the James Brown – of the TAMI show and of Boston ’68 and of Zaire ’74 – was about to appear mere feet in front of me and perform. I was convinced for a short while that I had made a boob and it was going to be some unknown singer/songwriter with the same name or something. The show was just euphoric. I’ve never experienced a gig like it since. It was dizzying. What an atmosphere.

The first thing he did after walking out and bowing was to give a few short bursts of “Make It Funky,” then throw the microphone towards the audience, catching the wire and yanking it back just before it hit someone. As it flew back towards him, he spun around 360 degrees and then caught the mic stand with perfect precision, immediately letting rip one of his trademark wails.

The show continued in that vein all night. He fell to his knees for “Man’s World” right in front of me. As he spun around during the upbeat numbers, beads of sweat would fly out across the front few rows. He did all his trademark moves (except the splits, of course) with gusto. During one song my camera started playing up and I looked down to see if I could fix it. As I looked up, I saw a microphone flying at my face and reflexively recoiled. Of course, it stopped about a foot short of my face and sprang up into Mr. Brown’s waiting palm, at which he burst out laughing. For the rest of the gig he kept coming over and flicking the microphone at me, then we’d share some laughter.

At one point he knelt down at the side of the stage, took off his bowtie and placed it in my friend Angela’s hand. She has since given it to me as I’m such a huge fan. It is a wonderful memento of what was easily the greatest concert I’ve ever been to. As I walked out after it ended, I could hear people all around me – the crowd was very young – expressing their shock and wonder at just how incredible he had been, given he was now in his 70s.

Joie: That sounds amazing!

Charles: I saw him twice more in 2006. The first gig was in July at the Tower of London – a great way to celebrate after finishing my college exams. Then, in September 2006 – just as I became a journalism degree student – he announced the BBC concert at the Roundhouse, which would become the fourth and final time I saw him live.

Willa: And that’s when you talked to him?

Charles: Yes. I had the brainwave of using my new student journalist credentials to apply for an interview. I was told he was only in town for a day and wasn’t giving any interviews, but his people invited me to the press conference, where I asked him a question about a new album I’d heard he was recording. That exchange, however brief, is one of my most cherished memories.

Willa: How wonderful!

Charles: There is a very short gif of us talking on my website. Sadly, he died less than two months after that press conference. Two years later I interviewed his former sideman, Fred Wesley, for the U.S. journal Wax Poetics. I knew Fred had been involved in that final album – which was never released – so I asked him about it. It got me wondering what had happened to those tracks, so I decided to find out. I interviewed anyone I could who was involved in the album – musicians, producers, songwriters, managers, vocalists – and wound up writing a 5,000-word article: “James Brown: The Lost Album.” Two extracts are available on my website, here and here.

It became the cover story on a magazine I published. Titled JIVE, it was my final practical project at journalism school. A thousand copies were printed. I still have some of them. You can read about JIVE here and view some sample pages here.

The James Brown article won me a feature-writing award from the Guardian newspaper a few months later, and I became a sort of go-to guy for articles about his life and work. Subsequent pieces have included an exclusive interview with his widow on the four-year anniversary of his death and an in-depth exploration of his humanitarian legacy.

Willa: I’m glad you mentioned that, Charles, because I don’t think his humanitarian work is very well known. I knew he played a concert in Boston the night Martin Luther King Jr. was assassinated, and I knew that concert was credited by many with diffusing a very tense situation and preventing what could have been a destructive riot. On the 40th anniversary of MLK’s death, I heard an interview on NPR with David Leaf, the director of the film, The Night James Brown Saved Boston.

I also knew he was very involved in promoting black empowerment and the idea that “I’m Black and I’m Proud.” But I didn’t know about his long history of charitable work until I watched Soul Survivor and another biography, James Brown: the Godfather of Soul.

Charles: That concert in Boston was one of the defining moments in Mr. Brown’s career. It demonstrated his extraordinary significance to the black community. On the night of Dr. King’s assassination, riots broke out all over America – including in the black areas of Boston. The following day the city council was going to shut down his concert for fear it would attract rioters to the city center – the white neighborhoods – but they decided instead (without Mr. Brown’s permission) that they would televise the concert in a bid to keep people indoors.

Not only did the riots not spread – there were less reports of crime that night in Boston than there were on a regular night. The TV station showed the concert over and over again, back to back, and people stayed in all night to watch James Brown. His calming effect on the city’s black community was so incredible that other cities started asking for him. Washington immediately requested his presence, and he went there and calmed the riots too.

Willa: Apparently, this was when he became known as the Godfather of Soul. That title refers to the movie The Godfather, and it means that he was as powerful as a mafia don in his ability to control situations – only he controlled them by moving people with his music rather than threatening them with henchmen. So this idea we frequently see in Michael Jackson’s videos of music overcoming violence – like in Beat It, Bad, The Way You Make Me Feel, Smooth Criminal, Heal the World, Ghosts, even Captain EO – we see it literally happening through James Brown’s concerts after Martin Luther King Jr’s assassination.

Charles: The following year, Look magazine ran a cover story titled, “James Brown: Is He the Most Important Black Man in America?” The standfirst read, “Many men have gone from ghetto to glory, and forgotten. He bothered to come back.”

That was why, despite his various trials and tribulations, he retained the respect of America’s black community for the most part. The images of the crowds outside the Harlem Apollo for the public viewing of his body – no stars, no autographs, just a chance to pay respects – were unbelievable. Thousands and thousands turned out just to walk past his coffin and say a quiet goodbye. He commanded that respect because he never forgot his roots.

He refused to move away from Augusta, even though a relocation to Los Angeles would have aided his music career significantly. He gave to charities, funded a line of food stamps and handed out college scholarships at his concerts. Every year in Augusta he gave away hundreds of Thanksgiving turkeys and bought thousands of Christmas presents for needy children.

Willa: That’s true. According to the documentaries I watched, he was very generous in giving back to help people in need in the communities that had supported him, especially Augusta and Harlem. And he was committed to promoting education, such as through his “Don’t Be a Dropout” campaign.

Charles: But like Michael Jackson, his humanitarianism extended beyond his actions and into his music.

Willa: Yes, as you point out in your article, James Brown saw music as a way to improve the world – to “take these kids to a better life and a better place,” as you quoted from his induction speech into the U.K. Music Hall of Fame. We definitely see that idea carried forward by Michael Jackson as well – that music and the arts can lift people up and inspire us to make the world a better place.

Charles: Bootsy Collins – James Brown’s bassist for a short time in the early 1970s – released an album about two years ago which included a tribute song called “JB – Still The Man.” It was a collaboration with Reverend Al Sharpton, who eulogized Mr Brown over a James Brown-style instrumental.

Willa: Here’s a video – from YouTube, of course! – and it looks like it was uploaded by Bootsy Collins:

Charles: One segment of the song goes:

Every time an artist goes in a studio and sings for a cause bigger than themselves, that’s James Brown. He’s still The Man. Every time we use our art and our music to lift those that are down at the bottom to look toward the top and dream for a better day, I know that James Brown is still The Man.

James Brown’s catalog is filled with socially conscious anthems – from “Don’t Be a Dropout” to “I Don’t Want Nobody to Give Me Nothin’” to “The Funky President.” Even his Christmas songs were socially conscious: “Santa Claus Go Straight to the Ghetto.” He recorded music with humanitarian goals even when he knew it would make him unpopular. “Say It Loud, I’m Black and I’m Proud” cost him a lot of airplay and a lot of contracts.

Willa: I didn’t realize that. That’s something we see in Michael Jackson also: the panther dance in Black or White was criticized for being too angry, “The Lost Children” was criticized for being too sappy, “Little Susie” was criticized for being too depressing, and “They Don’t Care about Us” was almost universally misunderstood and criticized as anti-Semitic. But even though he was heavily criticized for those songs and videos, he refused to stop trying to reach out through his music.

Charles: The humanitarian theme in Michael Jackson’s self-penned output was there right from the Jacksons days, with tracks like “Can You Feel It” – a funky track, designed specifically to pack out dance floors but also carrying a strong, positive social message. That’s textbook James Brown. But you’re right: he, like James Brown, also recorded humanitarian material in the knowledge that it might attract criticism. Can you imagine a less commercial song to release in the grunge era than “Heal The World”? A less “current” track in the mid-90s than “Earth Song”?

Willa: Exactly. He was in touch with musical trends, but his focus was always on creating work that is important and timeless, meaning it will last and be relevant even after current musical fads have shifted.

Charles: His more antagonistic, socio-political material was also steeped in James Brown influence. “They Don’t Care About Us” consists largely of a recurrent, abrasive drum track with staccato lyrics. Sure, lots of artists have recorded songs like that over the years – but it was James Brown who Michael cited as his greatest influence at any given opportunity. And when he sang lyrics like, “Black man, black male, throw the brother in jail / All I wanna say is that they don’t really care about us,” was the sentiment that far removed from James Brown’s “We’d rather die on our feet than keep living on our knees”?

Michael was raised on a diet of political music, of course. At 11, he was colleagues with Marvin Gaye during the recording of “What’s Going On.” He sat in on the recording of Stevie’s Songs in the Key of Life, which included tracks like “Black Man.” He covered Sly Stone’s “Stand,” and Jermaine Jackson’s book revealed that a young Michael loved George Clinton’s Parliament / Funkadelic – no surprise since Michael had George take part in his 2003 documentary The One.

But as I said above – it was James Brown who Michael consistently cited as his greatest influence, so it would be rather naive to ignore the massive similarities in not only their humanitarian work, but their humanitarian and socio-political output.

Joie: I have to admit that this is all very fascinating to me. I have never really been a “fan” of James Brown in the true sense of the word. I mean, there are several of his songs that I can honestly say that I love, but I was never into him enough to bother with diving into his entire catalog of music or researching his history and humanitarianism.

But as a black child, I knew growing up that James Brown was an incredibly respected and well-loved human being in the black community. Among older black people – and I shouldn’t say “older” really, I just mean my parent’s generation – James Brown was like a hero. He was someone who had been in the trenches with them and had gone through the whole civil rights fight with them, and he could do no wrong. When James Brown sang “Say It Loud, I’m Black and I’m Proud,” they sang that line loudly with him. He was, as the song says, “the man.”

Charles: As an aside – it’s interesting that “Say It Loud, I’m Black and I’m Proud” is rightly considered one of the most important songs of Mr. Brown’s career, but is almost exclusively talked about in terms of its lyrical content and its socio-political impact. I would urge anyone to set aside a few minutes one day to put on some headphones, turn “Say It Loud” up really loud, forget the lyrics for a little while, and just listen to the composition. It is one of the most incredible rhythmic compositions you’ll ever hear, complex but at the same time universally appealing. Even without the lyrics, it sounds almost militaristic. It’s like a call to arms. It was co-written with Pee Wee Ellis and is an incredible achievement.

Willa: Wow, I’m really going to have to go back and listen to it more carefully.

And it’s interesting to me that we were all first exposed to a different aspect of James Brown, and came to him through a different route. Charles, your first impressions were from listening to his music on CD. Joie, yours were from hearing your family talk about him as an important cultural figure. And mine were watching him as a dancer and performer on Soul Train. I babysat a lot in junior high and high school, and there weren’t many TV channels back then – just the three big ones and a few UHF ones that didn’t always come in very well. I’d be sitting in the dark in someone else’s house, trying not to creep myself out with all the odd sounds an unfamiliar house makes at night, and I always loved it when James Brown came on because he made me feel brave. For one thing, he was so energetic he completely changed the atmosphere – the house didn’t seem so empty when he was there. And he was fearless! He’d grab that microphone like it was a live thing and whip it around like he was wrestling a snake with his bare hands. You just couldn’t feel scared when he was on.

Joie: Energetic and fearless. I love that, Willa. Those are great words to describe him, I think.

Willa: He really was – extremely energetic and fearless. I remember going to see a laser light show at Stone Mountain, Georgia – gosh, 30 years ago – back when lasers were still pretty rare. It was the first laser light show I’d ever seen, and they played some classic James Brown songs while the laser traced an outline of a dancing James Brown on this huge rockface. It was frenetic! You got the impression even the laser was having a hard time keeping up with him. …

And of course, Michael Jackson learned to imitate that high-energy dancing from an early age, and then incorporated it into his own unique performances. He liked to vary the tempo of his concerts and include ballads and other quiet moments, but he could definitely turn up the dial and execute those quicksilver spins and shuffles when he wanted to. Here’s a clip of him from 1983, performing in classic James Brown style with his mentor looking on, and be sure to watch the spin. It’s incredible. He does three-and-a-half revolutions, I think – they’re so fast I can’t even count them. I don’t think an ice skater can spin that fast with skates on.

I love James Brown’s reaction! You can tell he got such a kick out of it.
    So James Brown was an important figure in dance who had a tremendous influence on Michael Jackson, and he was a musical innovator as well. For example, in the tribute song you mentioned earlier, Charles, “JB – Still the Man,” Al Sharpton says,
    He changed music as we know it … He literally changed the beat, to a 1 – 3 from a 2 – 4. He taught the world to be on the 1. That’s why he’s still The Man. Cause every time I hear a hip hop record on the 1, that’s James Brown.

So his music was very rhythmically driven – as his drummer said, “it’s like a dinosaur walking” – and it was extremely important culturally as well as artistically. Deep Soul declares that “funk was defiantly black music.” As music critic Rickey Vincent explains, “Funk, it was a way to sort of signify that you’re celebrating everything about your raw life. You know, we’re trapped in these ghettos, but we got a lot of raw style.” This gets back to what Rev. Sharpton was saying also – James Brown is The Man both culturally and creatively.

According to his biographer, Bruce Tucker, “Papa’s Got a Brand New Bag” was like nothing that had ever come before. The “New Bag” is funk – the birth of funk. He moved the beat from the upbeat to the downbeat, added synchronicity, and invented a whole new genre of music.

Charles: Funnily enough, “Papa’s Bag” is often cited – including by Mr. Brown himself – as the first example of funk, but Brown experts look further back to tracks like “Out of Sight,” which had a pounding beat and an almost hypnotic rhythmic motif. In fact, “Papa’s Bag” doesn’t even have a 1-and-3 beat. Mr. Brown would often talk about coming up with the song in 1965 and stumbling on 1-and-3, but “Papa’s Bag” has a very clear 2-and-4 beat. His long-time manager Charles Bobbit told me a few years ago that Mr. Brown did this on purpose because, even decades later, he was very protective of his methods. According to Mr. Bobbit, he would refuse to enter into serious discussion of his work on most occasions, confiding in those around him that, “Them cats just wanna know where I’m coming from.” What actually spikes on the 1 in “Papa’s Bag” is the horns, not the beat.

Willa: Oh that’s interesting, Charles. I’ll have to listen again with that in mind and see if I can hear what you’re saying. You know, my understanding of music is pretty pathetic, actually, and it’s hard for me to figure out what’s going on in James Brown’s music, especially, because it is so complicated and so funky and so different.

But I’m really blown away by the idea that James Brown and his band created funk, a new genre of music. I used to think that music just evolved slowly over time, but the more I learn about music history, the more I realize that isn’t true. Every so often an incredible talent appears like a comet that changes the course of music, and then those innovations are gradually assimilated, and then another comet appears.

Bill Monroe invented bluegrass. It didn’t exist before him. That’s just astonishing to me. Southern Rock as we know it did not exist before Duane Allman and Wilson Pickett teamed up for their version of “Hey Jude.” And funk as a genre of music did not exist before James Brown “literally changed the beat,” as Rev. Sharpton says. And then I think Michael Jackson took that to a whole new level, inventing an entirely new genre of art. …

Charles: I don’t think Michael Jackson did invent a new genre of music. I can’t think of any sound or method he created that wasn’t already there. James Brown’s music sounded completely new and revolutionary. Michael Jackson’s just sounded incredibly good.

The three central tenets of funk were (1) the one-and-three beat, (2) the prominence of the bass and the drums and (3) the emphasis on rhythm over melody. Funk emerged in the early 60s. The last huge musical revolution had been rock & roll in the 50s, which was predicated almost exclusively on the two-and-four beat. Of course, one-and-three had been implemented here and there – but nobody had made a point of it; James Brown adopted it as his modus operandi. Additionally, he put the bass and drums at the front of the compositions, whereas they typically took a backseat to guitars. Thirdly, he gave his band the directive, “Play every instrument like it’s a drum,” meaning no melodic flourishes at all. Everything had to be rhythmic. The combination of those three elements constituted a completely new way of making music.

Conversely, Michael Jackson always worked within existing genres. Most of his early solo material fell comfortably within the genre conventions of soul, disco and traditional R&B. Off The Wall had a fair amount of jazz in it, too. The Bad album mostly sounded like typical 80s synth-pop with forays into genres like gospel and rock. Dangerous also explored those two genres, as well as classical and, of course, its overriding New Jack Swing sound. And so on and so forth.

What Michael Jackson did was to work within those existing genres – albeit sometimes fusing them in unusual ways (for instance, he was one of the first pop stars to start using guest rappers) – but to create his music to such a high standard that it set the benchmark for all of his peers. Did the Bad album constitute a new way of making music? No. But he made damn sure that of all the synth-pop albums recorded in the late 80s, it was one of the absolute best and would become one of the most enduring.

He was a perfectionist, meticulously recording dozens of songs per album, leaving years between releases, to make sure whatever he put out was the absolute best it could be. In this sense, he and Mr. Brown were very different. Mr. Brown would record entire albums in a matter of hours and largely hated retakes. Even if he or his band made mistakes, he would often put out the first cut rather than fix it. His saying was, “The first take is God. The second take is man.” It was all about the feeling for him.

One track with a mistake on, for instance, is “It’s a New Day.” Towards the end Mr. Brown starts singing the wrong line and has to quickly correct himself and rush out the right line as an afterthought. It’s noticeable, but the groove is so incredible that you don’t care. It just adds to that fantastic live and improvisational sound he cultivated.

I think both his and Michael Jackson’s methods were equally valid, but it’s an area where their music differed. Elsewhere, of course, Michael’s music displayed huge influence by James Brown. Perhaps the most immediately obvious similarity is their shared use of vocal tics like “ow” and “huh” throughout their recordings. James Brown explained the phenomenon in a 2005 interview with Jonathan Ross: “I used my voice like an instrument.” Michael took it that one step further, of course, and actually beat-boxed parts of his own songs.

While I don’t think Michael Jackson created any music genres, that’s not to say he wasn’t extremely influential. One area where his impact cannot be questioned is the music video. Nobody could deny his enormous influence on that art form. It could be argued, too, that Michael Jackson created a new genre of live performance – but the problem was that he did it so well that nobody who has since emulated it has been able to do it justice. By virtue of his colossal talent, Michael unwittingly set an impossible standard for his students and ultimately inflicted on us an endless parade of useless, fedora-fondling imitators – Usher, Chris Brown, etc – who I rather wish would just give up and go away, if I’m perfectly honest.

Willa: Hmmm … Well, I really like some of the new “fedora-fondling” performers who are following in his footsteps, though I agree they aren’t him. But that seems like an unfair standard! Someone like Michael Jackson is very rare indeed. …

And actually, when I said Michael Jackson created a new genre of art, I wasn’t referring to his music so much as his visual art, particularly the way he challenges how we “read” his face and body – and more generally, how we “read” race and gender and sexuality and nationality and identity and all those divisions we construct between ourselves and others. I don’t think we as a culture have even begun to understand this, which I see as his most revolutionary and important work.

But I do think he was innovative in his music as well, on many different fronts – for example, the way he juxtaposes different genres of music within one work to create a type of meaningful dissonance. Lisha McDuff talked with us about this in a post about Black and White, and then Susan Fast joined us for a post about his genre crossing more generally in both his recorded music and live performances. That’s an entirely new way of constructing music, and of thinking about how to convey meaning through music.

And like James Brown’s creation of funk, this new approach to composing music is important culturally as well as aesthetically since Michael Jackson often juxtaposes “black” and “white” genres in a way that subverts established racial hierarchies. For example, in her analysis of “Working Day and Night” from the Dangerous tour, Susan Fast told us, “Metal (the white genre) ‘serves’ the larger R&B/funk (black) genre.” That’s a subtle but powerful reversal.

Charles: Some of those genre-melding experiments were more successful than others, in my opinion. Personally, I think “Black or White” is a bit of a dog’s dinner and is often remembered more fondly than it might otherwise have been on account of the video being very good.

Willa: Oh heaven’s, Charles … “a dog’s dinner”? I’m speechless …

Joie: And I’m a little bit scandalized. While “Black or White” has never been one of my very favorites, I love the message of the song, and I certainly wouldn’t call it “a dog’s dinner.” But I have to admit, I love your British vernacular!

Willa: You’re being awfully diplomatic, Joie. …

Charles: His use of orchestral/classical musical was often very impressive, such as juxtaposing a haunting choral introduction with the hard, funky body of “Who Is It.”

That’s a very good point about the “Working Day and Night” performances. “Working Day and Night” is one of my all-time favorite Michael Jackson songs – whether on the album or on stage. Most of my favorite Michael Jackson songs are built on layers of rhythm, in the James Brown tradition. I found it very strange in later years that Michael would talk so often about how “melody is king,” given that the majority of his most popular material was rhythmic: “Don’t Stop Til You Get Enough,” “Working Day and Night,” “Wanna Be Starting Something,” “Billie Jean,” “Smooth Criminal,” etc. I’m looking forward to Susan’s book about the Dangerous album.

Willa: I am too! It’s supposed to come out this summer, I think, and I have a feeling it might go a long way toward changing critical opinion about Michael Jackson, the Dangerous album, and his work more generally – especially his later work, which has been terribly undervalued. Susan let me read a rough draft, and it’s fantastic! I was blown away again and again by her insights. I highly recommend it.

Well, thank you so much for joining us, Charles! I don’t always agree with you – a “dog’s dinner” indeed! Joie and I are going to have to work on you about that – but it’s always wonderful to talk with you.

And this feels like a very appropriate time of year to talk about James Brown. He died on Christmas Day seven years ago, and apparently Michael Jackson visited the funeral home and held a private vigil for him throughout the small hours of the night. A couple years later, after his own death, WRDW-TV out of Augusta carried a news segment about it. And while I hate to direct anyone to the New York Daily News, they actually ran a more in-depth article about it three weeks later.

According to Charles Reid, the funeral director, Michael Jackson showed up around midnight and stayed until dawn. He kissed James Brown on the forehead as he lay in the casket, and then curled a lock of hair on his forehead so it looked more like him. And he talked about how much he meant to him: “‘How important Mr. Brown was to him,’ Reid remembered. ‘What an inspiration he was.'” There’s something very touching to me about this – the image of Michael Jackson quietly holding vigil for the man who had meant so much to him for so many years.

Charles: Michael’s attendance at James Brown’s public memorial was his first public appearance in the U.S. after his trial. I think that is very significant and speaks volumes about his love for Mr Brown. I thought Rev. Al Sharpton’s introduction to Michael’s brief eulogy was very smart: “Even though he knows they’re gonna criticize him, Michael says he don’t care what they say. Michael came for you today, Mr. Brown.” Of course, that’s exactly what the media did the next day, mocking Michael for kissing his mentor on the forehead as he lay in state. Interestingly, Michael’s own memorial – and even his own coffin – were modeled on Mr. Brown’s. The teacher/student relationship continued right to the end.

The similarities between the aftermaths of their deaths didn’t end there. Michael was commemorated with a ceremony at the Apollo Theater in Harlem in the days after he passed away, attended by Rev. Sharpton. That’s another tradition which appeared to begin with Mr. Brown’s death in 2006. Rev. Sharpton gave a speech at an Apollo memorial to James Brown, which is far less-known than his shorter eulogy at the subsequent arena memorial Michael attended. While not definitive, I think that Apollo speech perfectly encapsulates the monumental importance of James Brown. It never fails to bring a tear to my eye. If I may, I’d like to end our discussion by posting that eulogy, as we approach the anniversary of his death.

Willa: That’s beautiful – warm and funny and powerful. And thank you again for joining us, Charles, and sharing your deep love and respect for James Brown.

Charles: Thank you for inviting me to take part in this discussion, which I have enjoyed enormously. Given the passion and the frequency with which Michael cited James Brown as his “greatest inspiration,” his life and legacy are rarely discussed and little-known in Michael’s fan community. I hope that people will seek out some of what we have discussed here – various documentaries and recordings – and he will acquire some new fans. Michael loved him for a reason. He was a true king.

Fonte: http://dancingwiththeelephant.wordpress.co...father-of-soul/

Edited by ArcoIris - 1/4/2018, 03:45

Quando tutti intorno a te sono in preda al panico e tu sei perfettamente tranquillo, forse non hai capito qual è il problema

Group
    Dangerous

Status
    Anonymous

IL RE DEL POP E IL PADRINO DEL SOUL

Willa: Non credo che ci possa essere alcun dubbio sul fatto che James Brown abbia influenzato principalmente e profondamente Michael Jackson come cantante, ballerino, e figura pubblica incredibile. Abbiamo probabilmente tutti visto gli spezzoni dell'audizione del 1968 di Michael Jackson alla Motown, dove si esibisce in "I Got il Feelin '" in perfetta modalità James Brown - le inflessioni, le urla e il lasciarsi cadere, "baby, baby, baby" a capella a la pausa, i giri e la camminata lenta ... anche il modo disinvolto con cui afferra l'asta del microfono e la lancia indietro sulle note di apertura. E 'una perfetta imitazione da parte di un prodigio musicale di 9 anni che amava James Brown e guardava ogni sua mossa.
    (VIDEO post precedente)

Questa settimana Joie e io siamo molto felici di essere ancora una volta con Charles Thomson, un giornalista che è probabilmente più conosciuto tra i fan di Michael Jackson per la sua penetrante analisi della parzialità dei media nella copertura del processo del 2005. Abbiamo un certo numero di articoli di Charles nella nostra sala di lettura, tra cui un recente post che ha scritto sulla partecipazione di Michael Jackson al World Music Awards del 2006 a Londra, un evento cui Charles ha partecipato, e come questo evento è stato riportato dai media.

E 'affascinante, Charles, leggere il tuo racconto di prima mano della scena dell' Earls Court Arena, con le riprese video dell'accoglienza estremamente calorosa che Michael Jackson ha ricevuto , e poi confrontarli con il "coro di fischi" che è stato segnalato più e più volte sui giornali di Londra, e successivamente anche nei media principali. Come dici tu nel tuo post, questo non era un caso in cui osservatori diversi interpretano una situazione in modi diversi. Era "una storia puramente inventata", come si dice, e questo è evidente dal filmato .

Ma Charles, sei anche un fan "molto appassionato" di James Brown, e hai anche intervistato diverse persone che lo hanno conosciuto e hanno lavorato con lui, giusto? Come ci sei arrivato?

Charles: E' stato divertente, l'ultima volta che ho visto James Brown era meno di tre settimane prima della cerimonia dei World Music Awards del 2006. Era alla Roundhouse di Londra per un concerto per la BBC. Ero sulla lista degli ospiti di Mr. Brown e ho partecipato a una conferenza stampa pre-show, dove ho avuto modo di porgli una domanda. Che onore!

Willa: Davvero ?! Hai davvero parlato proprio con James Brown ? E 'fantastico! E come ti sei appassionato alla sua musica?

Charles: È stato attraverso Michael Jackson che sono diventato un fan di James Brown. Avevo circa sette o otto anni, quando ho scoperto Michael Jackson e ha iniziato a collezionare la sua musica. Mia madre, che è cresciuta ascoltando i Jackson 5, mi ha fatto conoscere la sua produzione iniziale e quella della Motown in generale. È lì che ho sviluppato il mio amore per la musica soul.
    Ero sempre consapevole di James Brown, citato costantemente da Michael e molti altri come il più grande intrattenitore di tutti i tempi, ma questo era prima dei giorni di YouTube, prima che si possa cercare "James Brown" e vedere apparire migliaia di video .

Willa: E 'incredibile come YouTube e siti simili abbiano cambiato il modo in cui impariamo a conoscere la musica, non è vero? E' meraviglioso avere una tale ricchezza di video, film e concerti a portata di mano, ma devo ammettere che mi mancano i giorni in cui si andava al negozio di dischi a comprare un album.

Joie: Sì, l'intera industria musicale è in una situazione così strana in questo momento. Non ci sono più quasi negozi di dischi. Voglio dire, non esistono. Ci trovo qualcosa di molto triste. Anche se è fantastico avere questa ricchezza di musica proprio a portata di mano, come tu dici, è molto strano pensare che effettivamente i negozi di dischi - e anche i reparti musicali nei grandi magazzini e nei negozi di elettronica - sono morti.

E quello che hai appena detto su YouTube mi fa pensare alla mia filippica su MTV. Sai, io continuo a pensare che sia assolutamente assurdo avere una stazione televisiva di nome Music TV la cui programmazione non ha assolutamente più nulla a che fare con la musica . E ho fatto un sacco di rumore in passato su come dovrebbero o cambiare il nome o tornare alle loro radici. Ma la verità è che, in realtà dovrebbero solo cambiare il nome perché il concetto è ormai irrilevante, in quanto le persone possono accedere a YouTube e siti simili proprio sul loro laptop, tablet e sui telefoni.

Charles: E 'triste che stiamo perdendo i nostri negozi di dischi. Il grande HMV in Piccadilly, Londra, ha chiuso di recente ed è stato sostituito da un negozio di memorabilia, e ce ne sono altri 10 a pochi passi. E 'un peccato che così tanti non siano disposti a pagare per la buona musica. Compro sempre i dischi degli artisti che mi piacciono, perché io voglio che siano in grado di fare di più.

Detto questo, anche 10 anni fa - perché non vivevo in città - la sezione di musica soul nel mio negozio di dischi locale era piuttosto pietosa. Soprattutto, ero troppo giovane per avere una carta di credito e comprare le cose on-line, e troppo giovane per andare a Londra da solo, dove i negozi di dischi avevano effettivamente una buona selezione. Così per anni, il modo che ho avuto per capire il motivo per cui Michael amava James Brown tanto era un live CD che ho trovato nello scaffale delle offerte del mio centro commerciale locale. La forza e l'energia della performance era incredibile, ma io non l'avevo mai visto correttamente in questa modalità .

Nel 2004, ho visto in un giornale che James Brown avrebbe preso parte ad un concerto gratuito a Londra e biglietti sarebbero stati messi in palio. Ho partecipato e ho vinto.

Willa: Wow, Charles, sembra che tu abbia una fortuna straordinaria quando si tratta di James Brown! E 'come se fossi stato destinato a occupartene.

Charles: Io so di essere stato molto fortunato che mi sia capitato di individuare quell'annuncio e di aver vinto i biglietti. Senza quei due colpi di incredibile buona fortuna, la mia vita sarebbe potuta essere molto diversa. Visto quello che è successo, ho avuto solo una piccola finestra di tempo per vedere James Brown dal vivo prima che morisse, quindi sono contento di averlo visto il più possibile.

Questo concerto nel 2004 è stata una delle prime volte che mi è stato permesso di andare a Londra con i miei amici. Avevo 16 anni. C'erano altri artisti in cartellone incluso Ozzy Osbourne e Rod Stewart, ma James Brown - che aveva 71anni - ha eseguito i l'esibizione più lunga e migliore della giornata. Sono stato in coda per ore per raggiungere i posti davanti e ogni minuto ne è valsa la pena. La sua band era strabiliante. Ha fatto più e più volte le sue mosse e correva e correva e sudava . Ero affascinato.

L'ho visto di nuovo nel 2005 e poi altre due volte nel 2006. Nel 2005 ero proprio in prima fila. Si è esibito in "I Got il Feelin '" con i "baby, baby, baby". E 'stato incredibile.

Willa: Quindi è stato tanto a Londra, -più di quanto mi sarei aspettato - e faceva un sacco di spettacoli, soprattutto per un uomo di 70 anni.

Charles: Faceva tour costantemente. Era abbastanza sicuro che facesse un tour europeo ogni anno. Non solo per sé ( tendeva a lasciarsi andare un po 'quando non lo faceva, quindi era un bene per lui continuare a lavorare - è morto nel corso di una pausa di due mesi, nel 2006, la pausa più lunga dal lavoro in dieci anni), ma c'erano decine di altre persone che facevano affidamento su di lui per il loro reddito.

Per esempio, la natura dei suoi spettacoli era tale che la sua banda doveva essere incredibilmente organizzata. Dovevano conoscere probabilmente 100 canzoni, e dovevano essere in grado di passare dall'una all'altra al capriccio del signor Brown. Comunicava con loro con segnali della mano durante lo spettacolo. Michael Jackson ha fatto la stessa cosa nel Bad tour, per esempio, quando segnalava quante "stilettate" voleva durante la parte di danza di "Another Part of Me", facendo segnali discreti con la mano nei passi di danza.

Willa:
    E a quanto pare, alcuni dei segnali con le mani di James Brown alla banda erano lievi! Ogni volta che mostrava cinque dita in un lampo, , stava alzando il tiro . Soul Survivor: la James Brown Story lo racconta in circa 40 minuti. Ecco un link. Questo mi ha scioccato, ma dimostra anche quanto fosse consapevole di tutto ciò che stava accadendo sul palco con la sua band e i cantanti del coro. Se non davano del loro meglio e soddisfacevano le sue aspettative, glielo faceva sapere , lì e subito.

Charles: Mr. Brown non poteva mettere su uno spettacolo come voleva semplicemente assumendo chi era disponibile come e quando ne aveva voglia. Aveva bisogno che la sua band fosse strettamente in sintonia con lui - ma per avere questo, doveva mantenerli sul pezzo, altrimenti avrebbero potuto non essere lì quando ne aveva bisogno.

Joie: Questo è incredibile.

Willa: Sono d'accordo. Non avevo mai pensato prima - che doveva dare un lavoro stabile alla sua band per tenerla.

Joie: E spiega veramente perché era conosciuto come "l'uomo con cui era più difficile lavorare nel mondo dello spettacolo," non è vero?

Charles: I suoi spettacoli erano stupendi. Anche se negli anni successivi oscillava un po '- a volte era un po' debole o non era in grado di ballare con l'energia di sempre - l'intera esperienza dei suoi spettacoli è stato straordinaria. Era come essere trasportati indietro nel tempo, o assistere ad incredibili riti antichi. Jonathan Lethem ha scritto un brillante articolo intitolato "Essere James Brown" per la rivista Rolling Stone nel 2006, che rende la più viva, bella descrizione della magia e del misticismo di uno show di James Brown. Vorrei consigliare a tutti di cercarlo.

Più di chiunque altro che abbia visto, il signor Brown era l'epitome del termine "leggenda vivente". Mi sembrava incredibile in quel concerto, nel 2005, al mio posto proprio di fronte al palco, che James Brown - dello spettacolo TAMI , Boston '68 e ' dello Zaire del '74 - stesse per apparire pochi piedi di fronte a me e si esibisse. Ero quasi sicuro per un attimo di aver freso una cantonata e che stesse per esibirsi un qualche sconosciuto cantante / compositore con lo stesso nome o qualcosa di simile. Lo spettacolo era euforico. Non avevo mai visto un concerto così. E 'stato da capogiro. Che atmosfera.

La prima cosa che fece dopo essere uscito e essersi inchinato sono state un paio di brevi raffiche di "Make It Funky", poi ha gettato il microfono verso il pubblico, tenendo il filo e tirandolo indietro poco prima di colpire qualcuno. Come è tornato verso di lui, è andato in testacoda a 360 gradi e poi ha catturato l'asta microfonica con perfetta precisione, lasciando sfuggire uno dei suoi gemiti tipici.

Lo spettacolo è continuato così tutta la notte. Cadde in ginocchio per "Man's World" proprio di fronte a me. Mentre si voltava di scatto durante i suoi numeri allegri, gocce di sudore volavano sulle prime file . Ha fatto tutte le sue mosse (tranne le spaccate, ovviamente) con gusto. Durante una canzone la mia macchina fotografica ha iniziato a fare le bizze e guardavo verso il basso per vedere se riuscivo a risolvere il problema. Mentre guardavo in basso, ho visto un microfono volarmi in faccia e di riflesso mi sono ritratto Naturalmente, si è fermato a un piede dal mio viso ed rimbalzando balzò nel palmo in attesa di Mr. Brown, che scoppiò a ridere. Per il resto del concerto ha continuato a venire lì e tirarmi il microfono , allora ridevamo insieme.

A un certo punto si inginocchiò a lato del palco, si tolse il papillon e lo mise nella mano della mia amica Angela. Allora lei me l' ha dato perché ero un grande fan . Si tratta di un meraviglioso ricordo di quello che è stato il più grande concerto che abbia mai visto. Mentre uscivo quando è finito, sentivo la gente intorno a me - la folla era molto giovane - esprimere lo shock pensando a quanto incredibile era stato, dato che aveva 70 anni.

Joie: Sembra incredibile!

Charles: l'ho visto due volte nel 2006. Il primo concerto è stato a luglio presso la Torre di Londra - un ottimo modo per festeggiare la fine degli esami universitari. Poi, nel settembre 2006 - proprio quando ho cominciato il corso di laurea in giornalismo - ha annunciato il concerto BBC alla Roundhouse, che sarebbe stata la quarta e ultima volta in cui lo vidi dal vivo.

Willa: Ed è stato quando hai parlato con lui?

Charles: Sì. Ho avuto il lampo di genio di utilizzare le mie nuove credenziali da studente in giornalismo per un colloquio. Mi è stato detto che era in città solo per un giorno e non dava alcuna intervista, mail suo staff mi ha invitato alla conferenza stampa, e gli ho posto una domanda su un nuovo album che avevo sentito che stava registrando. Tale scambio, per quanto breve, è uno dei miei ricordi più cari.

Willa: Che meraviglia!

Charles: C'è una breve gif di noi che parliamo sul mio sito. Purtroppo, morì meno di due mesi dopo la conferenza stampa. Due anni dopo, ho intervistato il suo ex sideman, Fred Wesley, per la rivista statunitense Wax Poetics. Sapevo che Fred era stato coinvolto in tale ultimo album - che non fu mai pubblicato - così gli ho chiesto a questo proposito. Così mi sono incuriosito su cosa fosse successo a quelle tracce, e ho deciso di scoprirlo. Ho intervistato chiunque potevo che fosse stato coinvolto nell' album - musicisti, produttori, autori, manager, cantanti - e mi sono gasato con un articolo di 5.000 parole: due estratti sono disponibili sul mio sito, qui: "James Brown The Lost Album". e qui.

E' diventato la storia di copertina di una rivista che ho pubblicato. Intitolato JIVE, era il mio progetto pratico finale alla scuola di giornalismo. Ne sono state stampate un migliaio di copie . Ne ho ancora alcune . Potete leggere JIVE qui e visualizzare alcune pagine di esempio qui.

L'articolo su James Brown mi ha fatto vincere un premio di scrittura del quotidiano The Guardian un paio di mesi più tardi, e sono diventato una specie di esperto degli articoli sulla sua vita e sul suo lavoro. I pezzi successivi includevano un'intervista esclusiva con la sua vedova nel quarto anniversario della sua morte e un'analisi approfondita della sua eredità umanitaria.

Willa: Sono contento che tu l'abbia detto, Carlo, perché non credo che la sua opera umanitaria sia molto conosciuta. Sapevo che ha tenuto un concerto a Boston la notte in cui Martin Luther King Jr. fu assassinato, e sapevo che molti hanno ritenuto che quel concerto abbia alleggerito una situazione molto tesa e prevenuto quello che avrebbe potuto diventare un tumulto distruttivo. Nel 40 ° anniversario della morte di MLK, ho sentito un'intervista NPR con David Leaf, il regista del film, The Night James Brown Saved Boston. Ecco una clip da questo film:

Sapevo anche che era molto coinvolto nella promozione della legittimazione dei neri e l'idea "io sono nero e me ne vanto". Ma non sapevo della sua lunga storia di beneficenza fino a quando ho visto Soul Survivor e un'altra biografia, James Brown: The Godfather of Soul. Ecco un link anche a quella.

Charles: Il concerto a Boston è stato uno dei momenti salienti della carriera di Mr. Brown. Ha dimostrato la sua straordinaria importanza per la comunità nera. La notte dell'assassinio di Martin Luther King, scoppiarono disordini in tutta l'America - compreso nelle aree nere di Boston. Il giorno dopo il consiglio comunale stava per vietare il suo concerto per paura che avrebbe attirato i rivoltosi nel centro città - i quartieri bianchi - ma si decise invece (senza il permesso del signor Brown) che il concerto sarebbe stato teletrasmesso, nel tentativo di mantenere le persone a casa.

Non solo i disordini non si diffusero - ci furono meno segnalazioni di reato quella notte a Boston che in una notte normale. La stazione televisiva ha mandato il concerto più e più volte, in continuazione, e la gente rimase tutta la notte a guardare James Brown. Il suo effetto calmante sulla comunità nera della città fu così incredibile che altre città iniziarono a chiedere di lui. Washington chiese immediatamente la sua presenza, e lui ci andò e anche lì calmò le rivolte .

Willa: A quanto pare, questo è stato quando è diventato noto come il padrino del soul. Questo titolo si riferisce al film Il Padrino, e vuol dire che lui era potente come un capo mafia per la sua capacità di controllare le situazioni - le controllava con il coinvolgimento delle persone con la sua musica, piuttosto che con le minacce degli scagnozzi. Quindi questa idea che spesso vediamo nei video di Michael Jackson di musica che supera la violenza - come in Beat It, Bad, The Way You Make Me Feel, Smooth Criminal, Heal the World, Fantasmi, anche Captain EO - l'abbiamo vista accadere letteralmente con i concerti di James Brown dopo l'assassinio di Martin Luther King Jr.

Charles: L'anno successivo, Look Magazine presentò una storia di copertina dal titolo, "James Brown: è lui il più importante uomo di colore in America?" Recita : "Molti uomini sono passati dal ghetto alla gloria, e l'hanno dimenticato. Lui si è preso la briga di tornare ".

Ecco perché, nonostante le sue varie prove e tribolazioni, ha mantenuto il rispetto della comunità nera americana per la maggior parte. Le immagini della folla fuori dell'Apollo ad Harlem per l'esposizione pubblica del suo corpo - senza stelle, senza autografi, solo la possibilità di rendergli omaggio - sono incredibili. In migliaia e migliaia sono arrivati per un giro intorno alla sua bara e un addio silenzioso. Egli meritava quel rispetto perché non ha mai dimenticato le sue radici.

Ha rifiutato di allontanarsi da Augusta, anche se un trasferimento a Los Angeles avrebbe aiutato la sua carriera musicale in modo significativo. Ha donato a enti di beneficenza, ha finanziato buoni pasto e distribuito borse di studio ai suoi concerti. Ogni anno ad Augusta dava via centinaia di tacchini del Ringraziamento e comprava migliaia di regali di Natale per i bambini bisognosi.

Willa: Questo è vero. Secondo i documentari che ho visto, era molto generoso nel dare per aiutare le persone bisognose nelle comunità che lo avevano sostenuto, in particolare Augusta e Harlem. E lui era impegnato a promuovere l'istruzione, ad esempio attraverso la sua campagna "Don’t Be a Dropout".

Charles: Ma come Michael Jackson, il suo umanitarismo è andato oltre le sue azioni e la sua musica.

Willa: Sì, come fai notare nel tuo articolo, James Brown vedeva la musica come un modo per migliorare il mondo - di "portare questi ragazzi ad una vita migliore e un posto migliore", come hai citato dal suo discorso di introduzione al U.K. Music Hall of Fame. Sicuramente vediamo che la sua idea è stata portata avanti anche da Michael Jackson, - la musica e l' arte in grado di sollevare la gente e di ispirarci a rendere il mondo un posto migliore.

Charles: Bootsy Collins - bassista di James Brown per un breve periodo nei primi anni 1970 - ha pubblicato un album circa due anni fa, che includeva una canzone tributo chiamata JB – Still The Man- E 'stata una collaborazione con il reverendo Al Sharpton, che elogiò il signor Brown oltre lo stile James Brown.

Willa: Ecco un video - da YouTube, naturalmente! - E sembra che sia stato caricato da Bootsy Collins:
    (VIDEO post precedente)

Charles: Una parte della canzone dice:
    Ogni volta che un artista va in uno studio e canta per una causa più grande di lui, è James Brown. E 'ancora l'Uomo. Ogni volta che usiamo la nostra arte e la nostra musica per sollevare quelli che sono giù in fondo a guardare verso l'alto e sognare un giorno migliore, so che James Brown è ancora l'Uomo.

Il catalogo di James Brown è pieno di inni socialmente consapevoli - da "Don’t Be a Dropout" a "I Don’t Want Nobody to Give Me Nothin '" a " The Funky President ". Persino le sue canzoni natalizie erano socialmente consapevoli : Santa Claus Go Straight to the Ghetto.” Ha registrato musica con obiettivi umanitari, anche quando sapeva che sarebbe stato impopolare. “Say It Loud, I’m Black and I’m Proud” gli è costato un sacco di messe in onda e un sacco di contratti.

Willa: Non me ne sono resa conto . Questo è qualcosa che vediamo anche in Michael Jackson : la danza con la pantera in Black or White è stato criticata per essere troppo violenta, "The Lost Children " è stato criticato per essere troppo sdolcinato, "Little Susie" è stato criticato per essere troppo deprimente, e “They Don’t Care about Us” è stato quasi universalmente frainteso e criticato come anti-semita. Ma anche se è stato pesantemente criticato per quelle canzoni e video, si è rifiutato di smettere di cercare di aiutare attraverso la sua musica.

Charles: Il tema umanitario niella produzione di Michael Jackson era lì fin dai giorni dei Jacksons, con brani come "Can You Feel It" - un brano funky, progettato specificamente per imballare le piste da ballo, ma anche con un messaggio sociale forte, positivo . Questo è da manuale come James Brown. Ma hai ragione: anche lui, come James Brown, ha registrato anche materiale umanitario con la consapevolezza che potrebbe potuto attirare le critiche. Potete immaginare una canzone meno commerciale da rilasciare in epoca grunge di "Heal The World"? E un brano meno "facile" a metà degli anni '90 di "Earth Song"?

Willa: Esattamente. Era in contatto con le tendenze musicali, ma la sua attenzione si è sempre concentrata sulla creazione di un lavoro che fosse importante e senza tempo, il che significa che durerà e sarà rilevante anche dopo che le attuali mode musicali saranno passate.

Charles:Anche il suo grande materiale combattivo, socio-politico è stato ricco dell'influenza di James Brown . "They Do not Care About Us" è costituito in gran parte da un ricorrente, ruvida traccia di batteria con testi staccati. Certo, molti artisti hanno registrato canzoni così nel corso degli anni - ma è stato James Brown, che Michael ha citato come chi l'ha più influenzato in ogni occasione. E quando cantava testi come, "l'uomo nero, il maschio nero, getta il fratello in carcere / Tutto quello che voglio dire è che non hanno veramente cura di noi", era il sentimento di James Brown di "Preferiamo morire in piedi che continuare a vivere in ginocchio "?

Michael è cresciuto con un regime di musica politica , naturalmente. A 11 anni, era collega di Marvin Gaye durante la registrazione di “What’s Going On.” Assistette alla registrazione delle canzoni di Stevie in Key of Life, che comprendeva brani come "Black Man." Ha rifatto "Stand " di Sly Stone, "e il libro di Jermaine Jackson ha rivelato che giovane Michael amava George Clinton Parliament / Funkadelic - non è una sorpresa dal momento che Michael ha fatto partecipare George al suo documentario The One 2003.

Ma, come ho detto sopra - è stato James Brown che Michael costantemente ha citato come il suo più grande punto di riferimento, quindi sarebbe piuttosto ingenuo ignorare le notevoli somiglianze , non solo nel loro lavoro umanitario, ma nella loro produzione umanitaria e socio-politica.

Joie: Devo ammettere che tutto questo è molto affascinante per me. Non sono mai stato veramente un "fan" di James Brown nel vero senso della parola. Voglio dire, ci sono alcune delle sue canzoni che posso onestamente dire che amo, ma non sono mai stato così vicino a lui abbastanza da preoccuparmi di scandagliare tutto il suo catalogo di musica o di fare ricerche sulla sua storia e il suo umanitarismo.

Ma, come bambino nero, sapevo crescendo che James Brown era un essere umano incredibilmente rispettato e molto amato nella comunità nera. Tra gli anziani neri - e non dovrei dire "vecchi" in realtà, mi riferisco solo alla generazione dei miei genitori - James Brown era un eroe. Era qualcuno che era stato in trincea con loro ed era passato attraverso le battaglie sui diritti civili lottando con loro, e lui non poteva sbagliare. Quando James Brown cantava "Say It Loud, io sono nero e me ne vanto", hanno cantato quei versi ad alta voce con lui. Era, come dice la canzone, "l'uomo."

Charles: Per inciso - è interessante il fatto che "Say It Loud, io sono nero e me ne vanto" è giustamente considerata una delle più importanti canzoni della carriera di Mr. Brown, ma si parla quasi esclusivamente in termini di contenuto lirico e del suo impatto socio-politico. Esorto chiunque a trovare un paio di minuti un giorno e indossare delle cuffie, mettere "Say It Loud" davvero forte, dimenticare il testo per un po ', e ascoltare soltanto la composizione. Si tratta di una delle più incredibili composizioni ritmiche mai sentite, complessa, ma allo stesso tempo universalmente attraente. Anche senza i testi, suona quasi militarista. E' come una chiamata alle armi.E ' stata scritta con Pee Wee Ellis e il risultato è incredibile.

Willa: Wow, ho davvero intenzione di tornare indietro e ascoltarla con più attenzione.
    Ed è interessante per me che eravamo tutti prima concentrati su un diverso aspetto di James Brown, e siamo arrivati a lui attraverso un percorso diverso. Charles, le tue prime impressioni erano ascoltare la sua musica su CD. Joie, il tuo era stato sentire il discorso in famiglia su di lui come un 'importante figura culturale.
    E la mia era guardarlo come ballerino e performer su Soul Train. Ho lavorato molto come baby sitter alle medie e al liceo, e non c'erano molti canali televisivi allora - solo tre grandi e pochi quelli UHF che non si vedono sempre molto bene. Stavo seduta al buio in casa di qualcun altro, cercando di non spaventarmi di tutti i rumori strani di una casa sconosciuta di notte, e amavo quando James Brown arrivava perché mi faceva sentire coraggiosa. Per prima cosa, era così energico che cambiava completamente l'atmosfera - la casa non sembrava così vuota quando c'era lui. Ed era senza paura! Afferrava il microfono come se fosse una cosa viva e frustava intorno come se stesse lottando con un serpente a mani nude. Non si poteva avere paura quando c'era .

Joie: Energetico e impavido. Mi piace, Willa. Queste sono grandi parole per descriverlo, credo.

Willa: Era davvero - estremamente energico e senza paura. Mi ricordo che andai a vedere uno spettacolo di luci laser a Stone Mountain, Georgia - caspita, 30 anni fa - quando i laser erano ancora piuttosto rari. E 'stato il primo spettacolo di luci laser che avessi mai visto, e hanno suonato alcuni brani classici di James Brown, mentre il laser tracciava un profilo di James Brown mentre ballava su questa enorme parete rocciosa. Era frenetico! Avevi l'impressione che anche il laser facesse fatica a tenere il passo con lui. ...

E, naturalmente, Michael Jackson ha imparato a imitare quella danza ad alta energia dalla più tenera età, e poi l'ha riversata nelle sue esibizioni uniche. Gli piaceva variare i tempi dei suoi concerti che comprendevano ballate e altri momenti di tranquillità, ma poteva sicuramente alzare il tiro ed eseguire i giri pazzeschi e strusciare i piedi quando voleva. Ecco una clip del 1983, si esibisce in classico stile James Brown con il suo mentore che guarda, e guardate. E 'incredibile. Fa tre giri e mezzo , credo - sono così veloci che non posso nemmeno contarli. Non credo che un pattinatore su ghiaccio possa girare così veloce con i pattini su.

Amo la reazione di James Brown! Si può dire che gli piace moltissimo . Ed ecco un'altra clip 20 anni più tardi, del 2003, con Michael Jackson che onora il suo mentore, ancora una volta:

James Brown era una figura così importante nella danza che ha avuto una grande influenza su Michael Jackson, ed era anche un innovatore musicale . Ad esempio, nella canzone tributo che hai menzionato prima, Charles, "JB - Still The Man," Al Sharpton dice :

Ha cambiato la musica come la conosciamo ... Ha letteralmente cambiato il ritmo, ad un 1 - 3 da un 2 - 4. Ha insegnato al mondo a essere sul' 1. Ecco perché lui è ancora l'uomo. Perché ogni volta che sento un disco hip hop in 1, è James Brown.
    Così la sua musica era molto ritmicamente guidata - come ha detto il suo batterista, era "come un dinosauro che cammina" - ed era estremamente importante culturalmente e artisticamente. Soul Deep dichiara che il "funk era provocatoriamente musica nera." Come spiega il critico musicale Rickey Vincent, "Funk, era un modo per indicare che si celebrando tutto ciò che riguarda la vita grezza. Sai, siamo intrappolati in questi ghetti, ma abbiamo avuto un sacco di stile grezzo "Questo torna a quello che anche il Rev. Sharpton diceva -. James Brown è l'uomo sia culturalmente che creativamente.

Secondo il suo biografo, Bruce Tucker, Papa’s Got a Brand New Bag” era come nient'altro prima. Il "New Bag" è funk - la nascita del funk. Ha il ritmo dal levare al battere, ha aggiunto sincronismo , e ha inventato un nuovo genere di musica.

Charles: Stranamente, "Bag Papa" è spesso citato - tra cui da Mr. Brown stesso - come il primo esempio di funk, ma gli esperti di Brown guardano più indietro a brani come "Out of Sight", che aveva un ritmo martellante quasi a ritmo ipnotico. In realtà, "Bag Papa" non ha nemmeno un ritmo 1-e-3 . Mr. Brown ha spesso parlare della nascita della canzone nel 1965 scoprendo per caso l' 1-e-3, ma "Bag Papa" ha un ritmo 2-4 molto chiaro . Il suo manager di lunga data Charles Bobbit mi ha detto qualche anno fa che il signor Brown l'ha fatto di proposito, perché, anche dopo molti anni, era molto protettivo dei suoi metodi. Secondo Mr. Bobbit, si rifiutava di entrare in seria discussione del suo lavoro il più delle volte, confidando a quelli intorno a lui che, "Solo i gatti sanno da dove vengo." Che cosa realmente vada su 1 in " Bag Papa" sono i corni, non il ritmo.

Willa: Oh questo è interessante, Charles. Dovrò ascoltarla di nuovo con questo in mente e vedere se riesco a sentire quello che stai dicendo. Sai, la mia comprensione della musica è abbastanza patetica, in realtà, ed è difficile per me capire che cosa succede nella musica di James Brown, soprattutto, perché è così complicato e così funky e così diversa.

Ma sono davvero colpita dall'idea che James Brown e la sua band abbiano creato il funk, un nuovo genere di musica. Ero abituata a pensare che la musica si sia evoluta lentamente nel tempo, ma più imparo sulla storia della musica, più mi rendo conto che non è vero. Ogni tanto un talento incredibile appare come una cometa che cambia il corso della musica, e poi quelle innovazioni vengono gradualmente assimilate, e quindi appare un'altra cometa.

Bill Monroe ha inventato bluegrass. Non esisteva prima di lui. Questo è davvero sorprendente per me. Southern Rock come lo conosciamo non esisteva prima che Duane Allman e Wilson Pickett collaborassero per la loro versione di "Hey Jude". E il funk come un genere di musica non esisteva prima che James Brown avesse "letteralmente cambiato il ritmo", come dice il Rev. Sharpton. E poi penso che Michael Jacksonsia giunto ad un livello completamente nuovo, inventando un nuovo genere di arte. ...

Charles: Non credo che Michael Jackson abbia inventato un nuovo genere di musica. Non riesco a pensare a qualsiasi suono o metodo da lui creato che non fosse già lì. La musica di James Brown sembrava completamente nuova e rivoluzionaria. Solo Michael Jackson sembrava incredibilmente buono.

I tre principi fondamentali della funk erano (1) il ritmo uno e tre-, (2) la prominenza del basso e la batteria e (3) l'enfasi del ritmo sulla melodia. Il Funk emerse nei primi anni '60. L'ultima grande rivoluzione musicale era stato il rock & roll degli anni '50, che si basava quasi esclusivamente su ritmo due-e-quattro . Naturalmente, uno e tre era stato usato qua e là - ma nessuno ne aveva fatto un punto fermo; James Brown l'ha adottato come suo modus operandi. Inoltre, ha messo il basso e la batteria nella parte anteriore delle composizioni, mentre sono in genere dietro le chitarre. In terzo luogo, ha dato alla sua band la direttiva, "Suona ogni strumento come se fosse un tamburo," cioè nessuna fioritura melodica del tutto. Tutto doveva essere ritmico. La combinazione di questi tre elementi costituisce un modo completamente nuovo di fare musica.

Al contrario, Michael Jackson ha sempre lavorato all'interno di generi esistenti. La maggior parte del suo materiale solista sta comodamente all'interno delle convenzioni del genere soul, disco e R & B tradizionale. Off The Wall aveva anche una buona dose di musica jazz . L'album Bad soprattutto sembra un tipico synth-pop '80 con incursioni in generi come il gospel e rock. Anche Dangerous ha esplorato questi due generi, così come il classico, naturalmente, il suo prevalente New Jack Swing . E via dicendo.

Quello che Michael Jackson ha fatto è stato quello di lavorare all'interno di questi generi esistenti - anche se a volte fondendoli in modi insoliti (per esempio, è stato uno delle prime pop star ad iniziare a utilizzare ospiti rappers) - ma per creare la sua musica ad un livello così elevato che è stato un punto di riferimento per tutti i suoi coetanei. L'album Bad ha costituito un nuovo modo di fare musica? No. Ma è dannatamente sicuro che di tutti gli album synth-pop registrati alla fine degli anni '80, è stato uno dei migliori in assoluto ed è diventato uno dei più duraturi.

Era un perfezionista, registrava meticolosamente decine di canzoni per album, perdendo anni tra le versioni, per assicurarsi che tutto ciò che pubblicava fosse in assoluto il migliore possibile. In questo senso, lui e il signor Brown erano molto diversi. Mr. Brown poteva registrare interi album in poche di ore e odiava le prove . Anche se lui o la sua band commettevano degli errori, spesso faceva uscire la prima versione, piuttosto che risolvere il problema. Il suo detto era: "La prima registrazione è Dio. La seconda r è l'uomo. "Era tutto sentimento per lui.

Una traccia con un errore è, per esempio, “It’s a New Day. " Verso la fine Mr. Brown inizia a cantare il verso sbagliato e deve correggersi rapidamente e dice il verso giusto come un ripensamento. E 'evidente, ma il ritmo è così incredibile che non importa. Aumenta solo quel fantastico suono dal vivo e immediato che lui voleva.

Penso che sia la sua modalità che quella di Michael Jackson fossero altrettanto valide, ma è un settore in cui la loro musica differiva. Altrove, naturalmente, la musica di Michael denuncia un' enorme influenza di James Brown. Forse la somiglianza più immediatamente evidente è il loro uso in comune di tic vocali come "ow" e "eh" in tutte le loro registrazioni. James Brown ha spiegato il fenomeno in una intervista del 2005 con Jonathan Ross: "Ho usato la mia voce come uno strumento." Michael ha fatto un passo in più, naturalmente, e in realtà ha usato il beat-box in parti delle sue canzoni.

Anche se non credo che Michael Jackson abbia creato alcun genere musicale, non vuol dire che non avesse molta influenza. Un settore in cui il suo impatto non può essere messo in discussione è il video musicale. Nessuno potrebbe negare la sua enorme influenza in quella forma d'arte. Si potrebbe sostenere, anche, che Michael Jackson ha creato un nuovo genere di spettacolo dal vivo - ma il problema era che lo ha fatto così bene che nessuno che da allora lo ha emulato è stato in grado di rendergli giustizia. In virtù del suo talento colossale, Michael ha involontariamente fissato uno standard impossibile per i suoi emulatori e, infine ci ha inflitto una sfilata infinita di palpeggiatori col Fedora , inutili imitatori - Usher, Chris Brown, etc - che io invece avrei voluto soltanto che rinunciassero e se ne andassero, se devo essere onesto.

Willa: Hmmm ... Beh, mi piacciono alcuni nuovi artisti "palpeggiatori col Fedora" che stanno seguendo le sue orme, anche se sono d'accordo che non sono come lui. Ma sembra normale ! Qualcuno come Michael Jackson è molto raro. ...

E in realtà, quando ho detto che Michael Jackson ha creato un nuovo genere di arte, mi riferisco non tanto alla sua musica quanto alla sua arte visiva, in particolare come mette alla prova il modo in cui "leggiamo" il suo viso e il corpo - e più in generale, come "leggiamo" la razza ,il genere, la sessualità e la nazionalità e l'identità e tutte quelle divisioni che costruiamo tra noi e gli altri. Non credo che la nostra cultura abbia cominciato ancora a capire questo, che io vedo come la sua opera più rivoluzionaria e importante.

Ma io credo che fosse innovativo nella sua musica e, su molti fronti diversi - per esempio, il modo in cui giustappone differenti generi di musica all'interno di un lavoro per creare un tipo di dissonanza significativa. Lisha McDuff ha parlato con noi di questo in un post su Black Or White, e poi Susan Fast ha aggiunto un post sul suo superamento di genere, più in generale, sia nella sua musica registrata che negli spettacoli dal vivo. Questo è un nuovo modo di costruire la musica, e di pensare a come trasmettere significato attraverso la musica.

E come la creazione del funk di James Brown , questo nuovo approccio alla composizione di musica è importante culturalmente oltre che esteticamente perché Michael Jackson spesso contrappone genere "nero" a "bianco" in un modo che sovverte le gerarchie razziali. stabilite. Ad esempio, nella sua analisi di “Working Day and Night” dal tour Dangerous, Susan Fast ci ha detto, "Il Metal (il genere bianco) 'serve' il più grande genere R & B / Funk (nero) ." Questo è un ribaltamento sottile ma potente .

Charles: Alcuni di questi esperimenti di fusione di genere hanno avuto più successo di altri, a mio parere. Personalmente, penso che "Black or White" sia un po ' un casino e viene spesso considerata migliore di quanto non sia altrimenti a causa del video.

Willa: Oh Cielo, Charles ... "casino"? Sono senza parole ...

Joie: E io sono un po 'scandalizzato. Anche se "Black or White" non è mai stata una delle mie preferite, mi piace il messaggio della canzone, e certamente non la chiamerei un "casino". Ma devo ammettere, mi piace il tuo vernacolo inglese!

Willa: Sei stato terribilmente diplomatico, Joie. ...

Charles: Il suo uso del musical orchestrale / classico è stato spesso molto impressionante, come la contrapposizione di un'introduzione corale inquietante con il duro corpo funky di "Who Is It".

Questo è un ottimo punto sull'esibizione di "Working Day and Nigh ". "Working Day and Nigh" è una delle mie preferite di tutti i tempi tra le canzoni di Michael Jackson - sia sull'album o sul palco. La maggior parte delle mie canzoni preferite di Michael Jackson sono costruite su strati di ritmo, nella tradizione di James Brown. Ho trovato molto strano negli anni successivi che Michael abbia parlato così spesso di come "la melodia è re", dato che la maggior parte del suo materiale più popolare era ritmico: "Do not Stop Til You Get Enough", "Working Day and Nigh "," Wanna Be Starting Something "," Billie Jean "," Smooth Criminal ", ecc non vedo l'ora del libro di Susan sull' album Dangerous.

Willa: Anch'io! Dovrebbe uscire questa estate, credo, e ho la sensazione che potrebbe fare molto per modificare il giudizio critico su Michael Jackson, l'album Dangerous, e il suo lavoro più in generale - in particolare il suo lavoro successivo, che è stato terribilmente sottovalutato . Susan mi ha fatto leggere una bozza, ed è fantastico! Sono rimasto colpito più volte dalle sue intuizioni. Lo consiglio vivamente.

Beh, grazie mille per essere stato con noi, Charles! Non sempre sono d'accordo con te - una "casino" davvero! Joie e io dovremo lavorare con te su questo - ma è sempre bello parlare con te.

E questo sembra un momento dell'anno molto opportuno per parlare di James Brown. È morto il giorno di Natale sette anni fa, e evidentemente Michael Jackson ha fatto visita alla Funeral Home e lo ha vegliato in privato a tarda notte. Un paio di anni dopo la sua morte, WRDW-TV di Augusta riportava uno spezzone . E nonostante io odi indirizzare chiunque al New York Daily News, in effetti misero un articolo più approfondito tre settimane più tardi.

Secondo Charles Reid, l'impresario delle pompe funebri, Michael Jackson si presentò intorno a mezzanotte e rimase fino all'alba. Baciò James Brown sulla fronte mentre giaceva nella bara, e poi gli arricciò una ciocca di capelli sulla fronte in modo che sembrasse più lui. E ha parlato di quanto significasse per lui: "'Quanto è stato importante il signor Brown per lui,' Ha ricordato Reid. 'Che ispirazione fosse stato.' "C'è qualcosa di molto toccante per me - l'immagine di Michael Jackson in silenzio che veglia l'uomo che aveva significato tanto per lui per tanti anni.

Charles: la presenza di Michael al memoriale pubblico di James Brown è stata la sua prima apparizione pubblica negli Stati Uniti dopo il suo processo. Penso che sia molto significativo e la dice lunga sul suo amore per il signor Brown. Ho pensato che l'introduzione del Rev. Al Sharpton al breve elogio funebre di Michael sia stata molto intelligente: "Anche se sa che lo criticano, Michael dice che non importa quello che dicono. Michael è venuto per voi, oggi, signor Brown. "Certo, questo è esattamente ciò che i media hanno fatto il giorno dopo, facendosi beffe di Michael che baciava il suo mentore defunto sulla fronte . È interessante notare che lo stesso memoriale di Michael - e anche la sua bara - si sono rifatti a Mr. Brown. Il rapporto insegnante / allievo è continuato fino alla fine.

Le somiglianze tra il periodo successivo alla loro morte non finiscono qui. Michael è stato commemorato con una cerimonia al Teatro Apollo di Harlem nei giorni dopo la sua morte, con la partecipazione del Rev. Sharpton. Questa è un'altra tradizione che era sembrata iniziare con la morte di Mr. Brown nel 2006. Il Rev. Sharpton ha tenuto un discorso a un memoriale all'Apollo su James Brown, che è molto meno noto del suo elogio funebre più breve al successivo Arena Memorial di Michael . Anche se non completamente, penso che il discorso dell'Apollo racchiuda perfettamente l'importanza monumentale di James Brown. E non manca mai di far sgorgare una lacrima dal mio occhio.

Willa: Bello - caldo e curioso e forte. E grazie ancora per essere stato con noi, Charles, e aver condiviso il tuo amore profondo e il rispetto per James Brown.

Charles: Grazie per avermi invitato a partecipare a questa discussione, che ho apprezzato enormemente. Data la passione e la frequenza con cui Michael ha citato James Brown come la sua "più grande ispirazione", la sua vita e la sua eredità sono raramente discusse e poco conosciute nella comunità dei fan di Michael. Spero che la gente vada a cercare alcune delle cose che abbiamo discusso qui - i vari documentari e le registrazioni - e lui acquisirà nuovi fan. Michael lo amava per un motivo. Era un vero re.

Edited by ArcoIris - 1/4/2018, 03:46

1 replies since 5/12/2014, 12:41   354 views