PRIVACY di Constance Pierce (Michael Jackson and J.D. Salinger)

by Joseph Vogel

« Older   Newer »

"The King of Pop"

Group
    Dangerous

Status
    Anonymous

Privacy (Michael Jackson and J.D. Salinger)

7 gennaio 2012

The following essay is written by Constance Pierce, an enormously gifted artist who happens to be a good friend of mine. She has kindly allowed me to publish this evocative piece about two eccentric, but brilliant artists: Michael Jackson and J.D. Salinger. I hope you will enjoy it as I did.

PRIVACY

Michael Joseph Jackson was a ritual healer whose charismatic presence magnetized and unified millions of souls for good through his global performances. Yet he also was, and still is, an intensely polarizing presence. An immense amount of shadow material was projected upon him by a myopic culture. As an artist, he became skilled at bearing this shadow, aesthetically processing it, and thrusting it back to us (as maligned artists often do) as art.

Another enigmatic genius of twentieth century culture also left the stage in 2009. He was 91, and unlike Michael, died of natural causes. He had escaped his own meteoric rise to fame nearly a half century ago, seeking out a small enclave of anonymity where he fiercely protected his privacy against all odds. When approached about doing his autobiography, J. D. Salinger reportedly responded by saying he had borne all of the exploitation and loss of privacy he could possibly bear in one lifetime. Michael had expressed similar sentiments in the prescient lyrics of “Privacy” on his final album ironically titled “Invincible.”

Like Salinger, Michael seemed to make his own bid to abandon his fame during the last decade. In the end, though, that seductive spotlight switched on one more time and he heroically (meant with mythic import) leapt into that light … and to his own death.

I wish that he had sought, as Salinger did, a place of stubborn anonymity so that he might have enjoyed several decades of personal and artistic privacy. I can so easily conjure an image of Michael finally at ease in his majestic personal library, the way it was evocatively photographed for the pages of “Architectural Digest.”

During his lifetime, he collected more then twenty thousand books for this library, with a leaning toward art, literature and history. Some of his greatest inspirations were the poetry of Emerson and Wordsworth, and the sculpture of Michelangelo. As mentioned by so many already, Michael was a voracious reader. One of his very last secret late night outings was to an L.A. bookstore.

I also imagine him spending a good part of his future engaging in the production of his classical compositions. At the time of his death he was collaborating with renowned American conductor David Frank to arrange and produce these orchestral pieces with a major symphony in London in 2010. Although, surprising to some, Michael listened to classical music all of his life, and had often expressed that his favorite composers of all time were Tchaikovsky, Debussy and Copeland.

A curator associated with the Louvre recounted Michael brining his children to visit the renowned Paris museum. The curator described him as being so deeply moved by his favorite works of art, that he was brought to tears in front them.

As a painter and sketchbook artist himself, and an avid collector of art, there were reports that Michael – after retiring from the stage – was planning to realize a life long dream. Months before his death, as the story goes, his daughter was encouraging him to commence serious study in art history through the educational wing of one of the renowned New York fine art institutes.

There were also several reports that we would see Michael involved in film directing, producing, and acting in future years. He had already been engaged in a film project depicting the last days of one of his favorite writers, Edgar Allen Poe, where he had planned to play the lead role himself. There were so many avenues of his rich creative life that remained ahead of him.

Above all though, I envision him growing older while relishing the richness of thousands of days with his three children who were everything to him.

However, Michael desired to offer a last serious retrospective of his finest work through a series of live concerts in London prophetically entitled “This Is It.” His decision to engage in such an ambitious project at the age of fifty was, in large part, for his children. They were born in recent years, and had never seen him perform live before. In the end he had said “It’s all for love…” He died, at the careless hands of another, amidst his final act of creation.

According to New York Times writer Charles McGrath, J.D. Salinger once told his publisher he was “good and sick” of seeing his photograph on the dust jacket of “Catcher in the Rye” and he demanded that it be removed. He reportedly ordered his agent to burn his fan mail. Maybe, Salinger was furiously attempting to exorcise the “phonies” (in the vernacular of his archetypal character, Holden Caulfield) from his life. Maybe, for the profoundly celebrated, the price of true privacy demands such acts of self-defense against brutal public invasion.

The other night I had a dream. In it I could see J.D. Salinger and Michael Jackson sitting together. It looked to me like they had been up all night; sometimes companioning each other’s long silences, and at other times quietly discussing life … and death … and fatherhood … and art … and also the hauntingly elusive longing they had both shared for privacy.

In my dream, I notice that they are not conversing over a late night latte at a celestial Starbucks. Instead, I clearly discern them to be sitting shoulder-to- shoulder, just like the “Nighthawks,” in that nearly empty iconic Edward Hopper diner. Finally, they had each taken leave of the exquisite anguish of their fame. Outside the diner, surrounding them, I now see the vastness of a clear dark night sky in Paradise. The stars have come out. And, as Dante once wrote after taking leave of the Inferno, “Let poetry rise, again.”
    www.joevogel.net/privacy-michael-jackson-and-j-d-salinger

Privacy (Michael Jackson e J.D.Salinger)

7 gennaio 2012

Il tema seguente è scritto da Constance Pierce, un'artista enormemente dotata che capita sia una mia buona amica.
    Lei mi ha concesso gentilmente di pubblicare questo pezzo evocativo circa due eccentrici, ma brillanti artisti: Michael Jackson e J.D.Salinger. Spero che voi possiate goderne così come me.

PRIVACY

Michael Joseph Jackson era un guaritore rituale la cui presenza carismatica magnetizzava e unificava milioni di anime per il bene attraverso le sue esibizioni globali.
    Ed ancora lui era, ed è tutt'ora, un'intensa presenza polarizzante. Una quantità immensa di ombre è stata proiettata su di lui da una cultura miope.
    Come artista, divenne abile a sostenere quest'ombra, elaborandola esteticamente, e spingendocela indietro come arte (come spesso fanno gli artisti calunniati).

Un altro genio enigmatico della cultura del ventesimo secolo anche ha lasciato il palcoscenico nel 2009. Egli aveva 91 anni, ed a differenza di Michael, è morto per cause naturali. Lui sfuggì la sua ascesa fulminea alla fama quasi mezzo secolo fa, alla ricerca di una piccola enclave di anonimato, dove proteggere ferocemente la sua privacy contro ogni evenienza. Quando gli fu chiesto di fare la sua autobiografia, J.D.Salinger secondo come riportato rispose dicendo che aveva sopportato tutto lo sfruttamento e la perdita di privacy che si potrebbe sostenere in una vita. Michael ha espresso dei sentimenti similari nei lungimiranti versi di "Privacy" nel suo ultimo album ironicamente intitolato "Invincible".

Come Salinger, Michael sembrava voler rendere suo il tentativo stesso di abbandonare la sua fama nel corso dell'ultimo decennio. Alla fine, però, in cui il riflettore seducente si accese ancora una volta e lui eroicamente (inteso con il significato mitico) saltò in quella luce ... e alla propria morte.

Vorrei che egli avesse cercato, così come Salinger fece, un luogo di tenace anonimato affinché egli avesse potuto godere di diversi decenni di personale e artistica privacy. Io posso così facilmente rievocare l'immagine di Michael finalmente a suo agio nella sua personale e maestosa biblioteca, nel modo in cui essa è stata suggestivamente fotografata per le pagine di "Architectural Digest".

Durante la sua vita, lui collezionò più di ventimila libri per questa biblioteca, con una propensione verso l'arte, la letteratura e la storia. Alcune delle sue più grandi ispirazioni erano le poesie di Emerson e Wordsworth, e la scultura di Michelangelo. Come già detto da tanti, Michael era un vorace lettore. Una delle sue ultime uscite segrete a tarda notte è stata quella di una libreria di Los Angeles.

Lo immagino anche mentre passa una buona parte del suo futuro impegnandosi nella produzione delle sue composizioni classiche. Al momento della sua morte lui era collaborato dal celebre direttore d'orchestra americano David Frank per arrangiare e produrre questi pezzi orchestrali con una grande sinfonica a Londra nel 2010. Sebbene, sorprendentemente per alcuni, Michael ha ascoltato musica classica per tutta la vita, e aveva più volte espresso che i suoi compositori preferiti di tutti i tempi erano Tchaikovsky, Debussy e Copeland.

Un curatore associato al Louvre ha raccontato che Michael portava i suoi figli a visitare il celebre museo parigino. Il curatore lo ha descritto come così profondamente commosso dalle sue opere d'arte preferite, che veniva indotto fino alle lacrime davanti ad esse.

Come medesimo pittore e artista di schizzi, ed appassionato collezionista d'arte, ci sono state segnalazioni che Michael - dopo il ritiro dal palco - aveva in programma di realizzare il sogno di una vita. Mesi prima della sua morte, come dice la storia, sua figlia lo stava incoraggiando a iniziare uno studio serio della storia dell'arte attraverso la fascia educativa di uno dei rinomati e raffinati istituti d'arte a New York.

C'erano anche diverse notizie secondo le quali avremmo visto Michael coinvolto nella regia cinematografica, nella produzione, e nella recitazione nei prossimi anni. Era già stato impegnato in un progetto cinematografico che descrive gli ultimi giorni di uno dei suoi scrittori preferiti, Edgar Allen Poe, dove aveva programmato di svolgere il ruolo dello stesso protagonista. C'erano così tante strade della sua ricca vita creativa che sono rimaste davanti a lui.

Soprattutto però, immagino lui invecchiare mentre assapora la ricchezza di migliaia di giorni con i suoi tre figli che erano tutto per lui.

Tuttavia, Michael ha voluto offrire una ultima seria retrospettiva dei suoi migliori lavori attraverso una serie di concerti dal vivo a Londra, profeticamente intitolato "This Is It". La sua decisione di impegnarsi in un progetto così ambizioso, all'età di 50 anni è stata, in gran parte, per i suoi figli.
    Loro sono nati in questi ultimi anni, e non lo avevano mai visto esibirsi dal vivo prima d'ora. Alla fine lui ha detto "E' tutto per amore ..." E' morto, per mano incuranti di un altro, in mezzo al suo atto finale della creazione.

Secondo lo scrittore del New York Times Charles McGrath, JD Salinger disse una volta al suo editore era "felice e sofferente" nel vedere la sua fotografia sulla copertina di "Catcher in the Rye" e pretese che venisse rimossa.
    Come riferito ordinò al suo agente di bruciare la sua corrispondenza dei fan.
    Forse, Salinger stava furiosamente cercando di esorcizzare gli "imbroglioni" (nel volgare del suo personaggio archetipico, Holden Caulfield) dalla sua vita. Forse, a causa della estrema celebrità, il prezzo della vera privacy richiede atti di auto-difesa contro la brutale invasione del pubblico.

L'altra notte ho fatto un sogno. In esso ho potuto vedere J.D.Salinger e Michael Jackson seduti insieme. Mi sembrava come se fossero stati svegli tutta la notte, a volte accompagnando i lunghi silenzi reciproci, e altre volte tranquillamente parlando di vita ... e di morte ... e della paternità ... e dell'arte ... e anche del desiderare ossessivamente inafferrabile che entrambi avevano condiviso per la privacy.

Nel mio sogno, mi accorgo che essi non stanno conversando oltre a notte fonda con un celestiale latte di Starbucks. Invece, ho chiaramente individuato che essi erano seduti spalla a spalla, proprio come il "Nighthawks", in quella quasi vuota iconica trattoria di Edward Hopper. Finalmente, avevano ognuno il permesso poter considerare la squisita angoscia della loro fama. Fuori dalla trattoria,ora vedo la vastità di un cielo limpido in una notte buia in Paradiso, che li circonda. Le stelle sono uscite. E, come Dante scrisse una volta dopo aver preso congedo dell 'Inferno, "Permettiamo l'ascesa della poesia, di nuovo."

- Traduzione a cura di Antonella-60 per MJFanSquare

Edited by Arcoiris - 23/10/2014, 14:24

0 replies since 22/10/2014, 13:47   523 views