« Older   Newer »

"The King of Pop"

Group
    Threatened

Status
    Anonymous

Dangerous Talk with Susan Fast

by Dancing with The Elephant

Willa: This week I am thrilled to be joined once again by Dr. Susan Fast, whose new book on the Dangerous album will be coming out September 25 from Bloomsbury Press. I just want to say up front that I’ve read this book twice now, and I’m still staggered by it. For the first time we have a detailed, in-depth analysis of one of Michael Jackson’s albums, and it’s amazing – it reveals how he conveys meaning through every layer of musical creation and performance. Some sections I’ve read numerous times, going through sentence by sentence with my headphones on, trying to catch all the details and nuances of meaning Susan identifies. I was quite simply blown away by it.

Susan, your book is such a treasure trove of ideas, as well as new ways of listening and thinking about his music. There’s so much I want to talk with you about! Thank you so much for joining me.

Susan: Thanks for having me back to Dancing With the Elephant, Willa. It’s such a pleasure to exchange ideas with you again. Sorry that Joie can’t be with us this time around.

Willa: Me too. Joie is starting a new career, which is exciting, but it’s keeping her really busy.

Susan: Very exciting; I wish her the best of luck! And thanks for your incredibly generous comments about the book and for being so helpful when I was writing it: you read through drafts of every chapter (some more than once I think) and made such thoughtful suggestions, which have certainly made the book stronger. And it helped make the writing process feel less lonely which, as you well know, it often is.

Willa: Oh, I thoroughly enjoyed it! And I love the fact that you focus on Dangerous, which tends to get a lot less attention than Off the Wall or Thriller. Most critics seem to think those two albums were the high points of Michael Jackson’s artistic output, and it was all downhill from there. I don’t know how many times I’ve read that …

Susan: Yes, I point to several critiques like that in the book and they keep coming; the 35th anniversary of the release of Off the Wall just passed and Mark Anthony Neal wrote an essay that called it Jackson’s “signature achievement.” It’s a brilliant album, but all of Jackson’s albums are brilliant. As I’ve thought about it more, I actually don’t know how his albums can be compared; they’re like apples and oranges, each conceived of and framed in a unique way. I think we need to get away from putting them in a hierarchy that, in my opinion, is at least partly based upon nostalgia for the young(er) Jackson – for many complicated reasons.

Willa: That’s a really good point, Susan, and we could easily do an entire post just exploring those “complicated reasons.” I think a lot of it is nostalgia, as you say – both for the younger Michael Jackson and for our own younger selves, for the people we were when we first heard those early albums – as well as a reluctance to see him as a grown man and a mature artist.

And part of that, I think, is a deep discomfort among whites with the image of the “angry black man.” That image carries a lot of emotional weight, especially in the US, and I think a lot of people were very troubled by the idea that the sweet-faced Michael Jackson we’d watched grow up before our eyes – a celebrated success story and a symbol of integration and racial harmony – could become an “angry black man.”

But we do see flashes of anger in his later albums. And he is certainly speaking with a mature voice, as you emphasize in your book. I was interested that you see Dangerous as a significant milestone in that progression. In fact, you begin your book with the defiant claim that “Dangerous is Michael Jackson’s coming of age album.” I love that! – in part because it boldly contradicts the conventional wisdom that Dangerous was simply another stage in his decline.

Susan: The decline narrative is so misguided, in my opinion, but as you say, it depends on what you’re looking for and what your experience has been with Jackson’s music. I’ve loved the Dangerous album for so long and have always thought of it as an immensely significant artistic statement. Having the opportunity to spend so much time with it was an amazing experience; I’m grateful that the editors at 33⅓ thought it was a worthwhile project. And I’m really thrilled that they’ve chosen to make this book, the only one on Jackson in the series, the 100th volume. I’m sure this was partly an accident having to do with individual authors’ deadlines, but it warms my heart to know that such an important artist will occupy that significant milestone spot.

The series – each book is devoted to a single album – doesn’t prescribe how records should be interpreted, there’s no formula for the books – indeed, some volumes don’t talk much about individual songs or how they’re structured. But in part because I’m a musicologist, and in part because there’s been so little written about how Michael Jackson’s songs work, I really wanted to focus on that, always keeping in mind, of course, that the way musicians organize sound is inextricably bound up with the social. Musical sound doesn’t transcend time and place; it comes from somewhere, helps define that somewhere.

Willa: Yes, I love the way you explore the “anatomy” of his songs, as he called it on more than one occasion, and also provide important historical contexts for approaching Dangerous. For example, before taking an in-depth look at his songs of passion and desire, you take on the “pathologizing [of] Jackson’s sexuality,” as you put it. I think that discussion is incredibly important, especially since you are the first critic I’ve read to validate what so many fans have been saying for years: that he was unbelievably hot! Obviously! And not just in the 80s, but throughout his life. It felt so liberating to me to read that. It was like, Yes! Finally! Here’s a critic who really gets it – who understands the power of his music and his performance and the sheer presence of his body on many different levels.

Susan: The denial by so many critics of Jackson’s sexuality, or – more often – the relegation of his electrifying sexual presence to a performance – in other words, put on when he was on stage, but not “real” (whatever that means) – is something I felt compelled to address, especially because sex and lust are themes featured so prominently on this record. The thing the critics miss is that it makes absolutely no difference whether or not the person Jackson was on stage carried over to his life off stage; acting is powerful, we’re moved by good actors, they make us believe in the moment of the performance and perhaps long afterwards. Jackson did that.

Willa: That’s very true. He did.

Susan: Beyond that, I don’t see the incongruity between his commanding, aggressive, sexy onstage self and his quiet, shy offstage self as problematic in the way that so many critics do. It’s only a problem if we think in binaries; Michael Jackson was much too complex for that kind of thinking.

Willa: Yes, and as you point out in your book, that intriguing contrast of the bold onstage presence with the shy offstage demeanor was itself very sexy for a lot of women, myself included.

There were also important cultural and historical reasons for him to be cautious in how he presented himself offstage, especially with white women. Eleanor Bowman, who contributes here sometimes, recently sent a link to an NPR piece about Billy Eckstine, one of the first black artists to cross over to a white audience. To be honest, I’d never heard of him before but his biographer, Cary Ginell, told NPR that at one time “Eckstine’s popularity rivaled Frank Sinatra’s.” However, his career was derailed overnight by a photo in LIFE magazine:

“The profile featured a photograph of Eckstine coming out of a nightclub in New York City, and being mobbed by white teenage girls,” Ginell says. “If you look at the photograph, it looks very innocuous and very innocent. It’s actually what America should be like, with no racial tension, no racial separation – just honest love and happiness between the races. But America wasn’t ready for that in 1950. White America did not want Billy Eckstine dating their daughters.”

Eckstine’s crossover career abruptly ended with that one photograph: “Eckstine continued to record and perform, but white disc jockeys would not play his records.” And it’s almost like he was erased from public memory – at least, white memory. But Michael Jackson was a well-read student of history, especially black history, and I’m sure he would have known about the backlash experienced by public figures before him who had been perceived as too friendly with white women – people like Jack Johnson and Chuck Berry and Billy Eckstine.

Susan: What a tragic story this is. My overarching point in the book on Dangerous is that the politicized and sexualized adult persona that Jackson revealed on that album and the short films that went with it were incredibly threatening. And as you say, I think he knew that he had to be careful, given stories like Eckstine’s and many others, which is why that soft, sweet, off-stage public persona was so important. At the same time, he really pushed the envelope – dating high-profile white women, for example. I do address this in the book. For a long time he maintained a delicate balance, but eventually, when he started presenting a more adult, sexualized self in the late 1980s and early 1990s, this balance was thrown off. His performances couldn’t be so easily dismissed.

And what’s so interesting to me is that many critics and others could not, would not, and still cannot see him as an adult – don’t believe him as one – and I think this is one of the reasons why he is so often vilified or infantilized. Witness the recent tabloid story in which unnamed maids who supposedly worked at Neverland reported that they witnessed him “peeing” in his house and threatening to throw “animal poop snowballs” at the help; this is a very particular kind of denigration – including the kiddy language used – that strips Jackson of his adulthood. We could say it strips him of a lot of other things – dignity, the ability to be taken seriously, perhaps his humanity …

Willa: I agree! It denies his humanity in a very literal sense: peeing on the floor and throwing feces is something an ape would do, an animal would do, not a human. When I heard those stories, I immediately thought of the chorus of “Monster”:

Monster
    (He’s like an animal)
    He’s a monster
    (Just like an animal)
    He’s an animal

I think he really understood this impulse by certain segments of the population to characterize him as a monster, an animal, a bogeyman, an Other, and he forced us to acknowledge it.

Susan: Yes, for sure. But I think the use of the childish language points very specifically to the desire to relegate him to prepubescence, to childhood – in a bad way, not the way he would have embraced! In his insightful analysis of the short film for “Black or White,” Eric Lott says that at the beginning of the panther dance “something so extraordinary happened at this moment that the video’s initial audiences couldn’t take it in.”

Willa: I agree!

Susan: Me too. Elizabeth Chin elaborates on this by saying that many found the panther dance “unintelligible” in the way that encounters with the unfamiliar often are; she uses Freud’s concept of the uncanny, “the recognition of a truth that has been suppressed,” to help articulate what happened for many viewers at this moment. I think this can be said about Jackson in general, especially as he got older and started to challenge his audience more profoundly around social issues. Critics and some of his audience couldn’t take it in, couldn’t see what he was saying, or doing.

Willa: That’s true. And that’s an excellent way of describing much of his later work, isn’t it? – that he was forcing us, at some level of consciousness, to acknowledge “a truth that has been suppressed”? And the panther dance is an incredible example of that. More than 20 years later, we’re still trying to uncover the “truth” of that performance – we’re still stunned by it and can’t take it all in, to paraphrase Lott.

So Susan, reading your book I was repeatedly blown away by your insightful analysis of the “anatomy” or musical structure of specific songs, as well as the album as a whole. One thing that immediately caught my attention is how you see the overall structure of Dangerous as being like a book with “chapters,” or clusters of songs exploring a related theme. In fact, you use a similar structure in your book, so your book mirrors Dangerous, chapter by chapter.

Susan: Yes, I hear Dangerous as a concept album; the concept is loose, but it’s there. Of course the songs can be listened to and appreciated individually, but I think Jackson was going for something bigger, more cohesive, an over-arching narrative. It’s a strikingly different approach than the one he used on Thriller or Bad which – at least as far as I can hear – don’t have this kind of narrative cohesiveness. This is why we need to start thinking about each album individually, paying attention to its particular contours, themes, ideas.

Interestingly, he said in his interview with Ebony in December 2007 (and he said a similar thing elsewhere many times) that the approach to Thriller was to make it an album of hit singles. In his words:

If you take an album like Nutcracker Suite [by the classical composer Tchaikovsky], every song is a killer, every one. So I said to myself, ‘why can’t there be a pop album where every …’ People used to do an album where you’d get one good song and the rest were like B-sides. They’d call them ‘album songs’ – and I would say to myself ‘Why can’t every one be like a hit song? Why can’t every song be so great that people would want to buy it if you could release it as a single?’ So I always tried to strive for that. That was my purpose for the next album [Thriller].

(Here’s a link, and this quote begins at 3:38.) His use of Tchaikovsky as an example is so interesting to me: what pop musician models commercial success on a record of classical music?? But Tchaikovsky’s idea wasn’t far off from Jackson’s. The Nutcracker ballet was long, complicated, and required a lot of resources to mount; why not create a “greatest hits” suite that could be performed as a concert piece? I think it’s also interesting that there are eight pieces in the Nutcracker Suite, most of them quite short – the whole thing is about 25 minutes long. I can’t help but draw a parallel to the structure of Thriller: nine songs, about 42 minutes of music.

Willa: Wow, that’s a really interesting way to interpret that quote. (By the way, here are YouTube links to the full score of The Nutcracker and to the Suite.) You know, I’ve seen the ballet many times, and certain parts of the score are really popular – it seems like everywhere you go at Christmas you hear the music for the Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy playing in the background, and it was also included in Disney’s Fantasia. (Just for fun, here’s a link to that too.) But I don’t think I’ve ever just listened to the music to The Nutcracker all the way through, separate from the ballet, and I never thought about the Suite like an album. That’s so interesting, especially when you put it side by side with Thriller …

Susan: Yes, that was Tchaikovsky’s aim in creating the Suite: he wanted the piece performed more often, realized it couldn’t be because of the length and cost of mounting it, and so pulled what he thought were the “greatest hits” from it and created the Suite.

But back to Thriller, the length is average for a pop album, but it’s a small number of songs, really, the smallest number of any of his solo records. And, as we know, just about every song on Thriller was a hit single. My sense is that people take this as the way he thought about putting albums together in general, but I don’t believe this is true (in fact if you look at the above quote carefully, you’ll see that he’s referring specifically to Thriller). Thriller is a very particular and uncharacteristic instance of concision from an artist who liked to be expansive.

In a May 1992 interview with Ebony, one of the questions the interviewer asked was what the “concept” for Dangerous was; I think it’s quite a striking question for the very reason that Jackson’s albums had not been particularly “conceptual” up to that point: what made the interviewer think there was a concept? The cover art work? Something about the music? In any case, in his answer Jackson again pointed to Nutcracker, but here his thinking about it was very different:

I wanted to do an album that was like Tchaikovsky’s Nutcracker Suite. So that in a thousand years from now, people would still be listening to it. Something that would live forever. I would like to see children and teenagers and parents and all races all over the world, hundreds and hundreds of years from now, still pulling out songs from that album and dissecting it. I want it to live.

Well, the dissecting has begun! I have to admit that while I’d read this interview before, I didn’t remember this quote until after I’d finished writing the book: what a shame. But I feel somewhat vindicated now in thinking that Jackson did, indeed, have an overarching concept for this record, that he was not thinking in terms of hit singles (or not exclusively or primarily), but of a series of interconnected songs, laid out in a particular order, that tell us a story. And a pretty complex story, too, one that he saw as requiring a lot of analysis to unravel (the idea that an artist wants his work dissected is pretty thrilling for someone like me).

The way I see it, that story is about very big ideas: it’s about examining and challenging the state of the contemporary world with energy and resilience and allowing oneself to get lost in all the complexities of love (and lust!), of feeling hopeful, invigorated … and then being deeply, deeply, betrayed and wounded, not just by love, but by everyone and everything. From my perspective, he never completely recovers from that sense of betrayal on this record, though he does do a lot of serious soul searching. The songs are grouped, allowing ideas to be explored in considerable depth, examined through different musical and lyrical lenses.

Willa: Yes, that was so interesting to me. I’d never thought about his albums like that before – that they include groupings of related songs, like chapters in a book, and that they move us through a sequence of emotional experiences, like a novel does. But now that you’ve pointed out that structure in Dangerous, I see it in HIStory and Invincible as well.

For example, Invincible begins with three painful songs about a disastrous relationship with an uncaring woman: she’s trying to hurt him, she doesn’t understand him, she rejects him without giving him a chance to explain or win her over. And interestingly, that reflects his relationship with the public right then: the press (and the police as well) really were out to get him, people didn’t understand him, and they rejected his later albums and wouldn’t give them – or him – a chance.

Those songs are then followed by a series of five songs where he’s imagining scenes of genuine love – and pretty steamy sexual passion also. It’s like he’s trying to imaginatively conjure up the love and desire that was denied him in the first three songs.

Susan: Yes, those two groupings are certainly there on Invincible. He seemed to want to explore a theme through more than one song, in back-to-back tracks, in these later albums. Look at something from more than one angle.

Willa: Exactly.

Susan: Another narrative strategy on a later album that I’ve been struck by is his decision to end HIStory with “Smile.” After all that anger and venom, all that commentary on social injustices both personal and broadly cultural, delivered through some of the most aggressive grooves he ever created, he ends the album with that tragic ballad and its directive to “smile though your heart is breaking” (which his must have been); it’s very powerful.

Willa: It really is, especially when you consider that “Smile” was written by Charlie Chaplin, whose life story parallels Michael Jackson’s in significant ways. Chaplin was immensely popular in the 1920s and 30s, but then was falsely accused of fathering a child out of wedlock. There was a very public trial, and a paternity test proved he was not the father. But he was found guilty anyway, both in court and in the press, and the public turned against him. He spent the rest of his life in exile, something of a social pariah.

Given that context, I imagine “Smile” spoke to Michael Jackson in a very powerful way. And since HIStory in some respects is a response to the allegations against him, it makes sense that he would end the album with “Smile.” He rarely included cover songs on his albums, but he made an exception for “Smile” – it was that important to him.

Susan: Precisely. The point about cover songs is really significant. As you say, he didn’t really do them. The only other cover that appears on his solo albums is “Come Together” on Bad. I’ve always been intrigued by that choice as well.

Willa: I have too! He also places “Come Together” in a very prominent spot at the end of Moonwalker, and as Frank Delio has said, that movie was very important to him – he put a lot of time and energy, and his own money, into making it. So it feels like there’s something going on with “Come Together” – something important. Maybe we can do another post on that sometime and try to figure it out.

Susan: Great idea!

Willa: So it’s really fascinating to look at his later albums as made up of “chapters” of songs – and that structure seems to begin with Dangerous. As you pointed out with the two Nutcracker Suite quotes (and how interesting that he referred to it twice, in such different ways!) he doesn’t seem to have used this approach with his earlier albums. Thriller is more a collection of hit singles, as you said. But with Dangerous, he seems to be taking listeners on an emotional journey as we progress through the album – which suggests that something is lost when we listen to these songs in Shuffle mode on our iPods.

Susan: Or we just have a different kind of experience, which is fine too. I like looking at formal structures, though, and I think it’s interesting to view the album as a whole. “Jam,” for example, serves as a kind of overture on Dangerous (“it ain’t too much to Jam.” Now let me show you how it’s done for the next thirteen songs). I’m also struck by structural details, for example the first time we hear Jackson on Dangerous it’s through his breath – before he starts to sing – at the beginning of “Jam”; this aggressive use of breath returns in the last song on the album, “Dangerous,” in effect bringing the record full circle. I don’t think a detail like this is coincidental; when you listen to his music with your ears open you start to hear how intricately constructed it is, how nuanced.

Willa: Yes, and I feel like you’ve been opening my ears! There are motifs running throughout this album that I hadn’t really noticed or thought about before, like the use of his breath, or the recurring sound of breaking glass, or the visual image of the globe that appears repeatedly in the videos for this album (in Jam, Heal the World, Black or White, Will You Be There) as well as occupying a central position on the album cover. And as you point out in your book, the meaning of these motifs seems to evolve over the course of the album.

For example, the breaking glass gains new meaning once you’ve seen all the breaking glass in the panther dance of Black or White – specifically, it can be read as expressing anger at racial injustice. And once you’ve made that connection, it’s very interesting to then go back and listen to the other instances of breaking glass and see how that affects the meaning there as well. For example, I think there’s a racial component to In the Closet, as Joie and I discussed in a post a while back, and we hear breaking glass at significant moments in that song and video. And the album as a whole begins with the sound of breaking glass, so what does that tell us about the album we’re about to hear?

Susan: Indeed. What. The “non-musical” sounds on this album are really important to take into account – they help shape the narrative. The sound of breaking glass recurs in various places, as you say, and I think its meaning is multiple and complex. But one of the ways that I interpret the sound as it’s used at the beginning of the record is as a metaphor for a broken world.

Willa: Oh, that makes a lot of sense, Susan. And it really fits with the recurring image of the globe, and the feeling that he’s focusing on “very big ideas” on this album, as you said earlier.

There are also some recurring musical techniques you identify in your book that I found really intriguing as well. For example, you point out that both “Jam” and “In the Closet” include a bass line in the chorus but not in the verses – a pronounced absence, if that makes sense. And that creates a very unsettled feeling in the verses, as you point out – like we’re dangling over a void with no ground beneath us. I love that image because it describes so perfectly my uneasiness when listening to “Jam” – something I feel rather intensely but had never really thought about before or traced back to its origins, and certainly never associated with the lack of bass. And that unsettled feeling fits the meaning of the lyrics because in both songs the verses are describing a problem: a broken world, a romantic conflict.

The bass then appears in the chorus, which as you point out in the book provides a feeling of reassurance – like, Whew! Now we’re back on solid ground! And that reinforces the meaning of the lyrics also since the chorus suggests a solution. In “Jam,” he tells us the solution to a broken world is to “jam” – to come together as a community and make music together, both literally and symbolically. So the ideas and emotions expressed in the lyrics are reinforced in sophisticated ways by the music.

Susan: Yes, this is a great example of how musical sounds map onto social ideas. How does it make us feel when that grounding bassline isn’t there? How does the keyboard part that nearly mirrors the vocal line – but an octave higher and with a timbre that makes us feel tense – contribute to the sense of anxiousness in this song? Not to mention Jackson’s brilliant vocal in the verses, which is rushed: he’s constantly ahead of the beat – on purpose of course (this is really hard to do consistently, by the way).

Willa: I love the way you put that, Susan: “how musical sounds map onto social ideas.” To me, that’s really the essence of what’s so fascinating about your book. I don’t know enough about music to uncover that on my own – to figure out how specific musical details translate into creating meaning and emotion. I don’t even hear a lot of those details until you point them out, and then, Wow! It’s like I’m hearing elements of these songs for the first time – like that high unsettling keyboard line in “Jam” that you just mentioned. I hear it so clearly now since I read your book, but don’t remember ever hearing it before. So it opens up an entirely new aspect of his brilliance that’s closed to me without help from you or Lisha or others with your expertise.

Susan: I hope it’s useful to think about these things. When people say that Jackson was a perfectionist, it’s details like this that they’re talking about (along with lyrics, his dancing – which I don’t have the skills to say much about – etc.): the choice of a particular instrument or timbre, the placement of a breath, the decision to create a song in a particular genre, or to add an unsettling sound somewhere (one of the most intriguing examples of this last idea – to me at least – is the percussive sound heard after the last iteration of the chorus in “They Don’t Really Care About Us,” just before the guitar comes back in – at about 4:15. It’s just sonically interesting in and of itself, but why the dissonance at that point, why the new timbre that hasn’t been heard before in the song?). Some of these ideas came from his producers, I’m sure, but he OK’d them. The point is, he understood and appreciated the power of the musical detail. To say the least.

Willa: Absolutely. Well, it feels like we’ve really only talked in detail about the first chapter of your book – there’s so much more to discuss and explore! I hope you’ll join us again sometime. It’s always so fun to talk with you.

Susan: Yes … and we elaborated on what’s in that first chapter in some interesting ways! Thanks for the opportunity to explore these ideas with you; I’d be happy to join you again.

http://dancingwiththeelephant.wordpress.co...ith-susan-fast/

"The King of Pop"

Group
    Threatened

Status
    Anonymous

Parlando di Dangerous con Susan Fast

di Dancing With The Elephant

Willa: Questa settimana sono entusiasta di poter interagire ancora una volta con la dr Susan Fast, il cui nuovo libro, sull'album Dangerous uscirà il 25 settembre edito dalla Bloomsbury Press. Voglio solo anticipare che ho letto questo libro due volte, e che ancora non mi sono ripresa. Per la prima volta ci troviamo di fronte ad una dettagliatissima e approfondita analisi di uno degli album di Michael Jackson, ed è incredibile - e fa comprendere attentamente la sua capacità di trasmettere sia attraverso la creazione musicale che le performance. Ho letto più volte alcuni capitoli , ripassando frase per frase, cercando di catturare tutti i dettagli e le sfumature significative che Susan identifica. Sono semplicemente ancora sconvolta..

Susan, il tuo libro è un tale tesoro di idee, aggiunge nuovi significati al modo di ascoltare e pensare la sua musica. C'è così tanto di cui voglio parlare con te! Grazie mille per essere qui.

Susan: Grazie per avermi invitata di nuovo a Dancing With the Elephant, Willa. E' un piacere scambiare idee con voi. Mi dispiace che Joie non possa essere con noi questa volta.

Willa: Anche a me. Joie sta iniziando una nuova carriera, cosa molto eccitante, ma che la tiene molto occupata.

Susan: Molto emozionante; Le auguro buona fortuna! E grazie per i vostri commenti incredibilmente generosi sul libro e per essere stati così utili quando lo stavo scrivendo: leggere e rileggere le bozze mi ha permesso di includere le vostre riflessioni, che hanno certamente reso il libro più forte. Ed ha contribuito a rendere il processo di scrittura meno monocorde,come invece spesso accade, come sapete bene.

Willa: Oh, mi è piaciuto molto! E mi piace il fatto che ci si concentri su Dangerous, un album che di solito tende ad ottenere meno attenzioni rispetto a Off the Wall e Thriller. La maggior parte dei critici sembrano pensare che questi due album siano stati i punti più alti della produzione artistica di Michael Jackson, e che sia stato tutto in discesa da lì. Non so quante volte ho letto questo ...

Susan: Sì, parlo di alcune di queste critiche nel libro; il 35mo anniversario dall'uscita di Off the Wall è appena passato e Mark Anthony Neal ha scritto un saggio , intitolato “ Jackson's signature achievement ." E' un album brillante, ma tutti gli album di Jackson sono brillanti. Ma ho cercato di riflettere su questo, in realtà non so come i suoi album possano essere confrontati; sono come le mele e le arance, ognuna nasce e si sviluppa in modo diverso da qualunque altra. Penso che per capire sia meglio allontanarci da desiderio di racchiuderli in determinate ere, quando, a mio parere, è più facile essere nostalgici per quel giovane Jackson - per svariate complesse ragioni.

Willa: Questo è davvero un buon punto, Susan, e potremmo facilmente fare un intero post semplicemente esplorando quelle "ragioni complesse". Penso che molto sia nostalgia, come tu dici - sia per il più giovane Michael Jackson che per il nostro stesso essere stati giovani, per le persone che eravamo quando abbiamo sentito quei primi album - così come nell'avere per conseguenza una certa riluttanza nel vederlo come uomo adulto e un artista maturo.

E in parte questo, penso che il vederlo come "uomo nero arrabbiato" sia stato motivo di disagio per molti. Quella immagine porta con sè un disagio emotivo, soprattutto negli Stati Uniti, e penso che molte persone siano state turbate dal fatto che il dolce Michael Jackson che avevano avuto di fronte, che avevamo visto crescere sotto i nostri occhi, con un identità sia come successo che come simbolo di integrazione e di armonia razziale, fosse potuto diventare un "uomo nero arrabbiato."

Ma parliamo di questo, di questi suoi lampi di rabbia negli album successivi. Canta certamente con una voce matura, come sottolinei nel tuo libro. Mi ha interessata il fatto che tu veda Dangerous come una pietra miliare in questo tipo di progressione. In realtà, inizi il tuo libro con un affermazione molto forte, sostenendo che "Dangerous è l'album della maturità di Michael Jackson." Mi piace questo! In parte perché contraddice coraggiosamente la saggezza convenzionale che afferma che Dangerous sia stato semplicemente un'altra tappa nel suo declino.

Susan: Identificarlo come l'inizio del declino è così sbagliato, a mio parere, ma come dici tu, dipende da quello che stai cercando e dalla propria esperienza intrinseca con la musica di Jackson. Ho amato l'album Dangerous per tanto tempo e l'ho sempre pensato come una dichiarazione artistica immensamente significativa. Avere l'opportunità di trascorrere così tanto tempo con lui è stata un'esperienza straordinaria; sono grata che gli editori abbiano pensato che fosse un progetto utile. E sono davvero entusiasta che abbiano scelto di fare questo libro, l'unico su Jackson nella serie, al volume 100°. Sono sicura che questo in parte abbia a che fare con le scadenze delle opzioni dei singoli autori, ma mi scalda il cuore sapere che un artista così importante occuperà un punto di arrivo così significativo.

La serie - ogni libro è dedicato ad un unico album - non da una lettura su come gli album debbano essere interpretati, nei libri non ci sono formule - anzi, alcuni capitoli non parlano molto di singoli brani o di come siano strutturati. Ma, in parte perché sono una musicologa, e in parte perché c'era scritto così poco su come siano nate le canzoni di Michael Jackson , per cui ho cercato di concentrarmi su questo, sempre tenendo presente, ovviamente, che il modo in cui i musicisti organizzano il suono è indissolubilmente legato al sociale. Il suono musicale non trascende tempo e luogo; viene da qualche parte, aiuta a definire quel 'da qualche parte'.

Willa: Sì, mi piace il modo in cui esplori l "anatomia" delle sue canzoni, come l'ha chiamata lui in più di un'occasione, e anche come fornisci importanti contesti storici in prossimità di Dangerous. Ad esempio, prima di dare uno sguardo in profondità alle sue canzoni di passione e desiderio, hai colto la "patologizzante [della] sessualità di Jackson," come dici tu. Penso che la discussione sia incredibilmente importante, soprattutto perché tu sei il primo critico che ho letto che confermi ciò che molti fans hanno detto per anni: che era incredibilmente hot! Ovviamente! E non solo negli anni '80, ma per tutta la sua vita. E' stato così liberatorio per me leggere questo. E' stato come, Sì! Finalmente! Ecco un critico che realmente coglie, che capisce il potere della sua musica e della sua performance e la presenza pura del suo corpo a diversi livelli.

Susan: La negazione da parte di tanti critici della sessualità di Jackson, o più spesso, la retrocessione sulla sua presenza sessuale elettrizzante nella performance - in altre parole, come posta sul palco, ma come se non fosse "reale" (qualunque cosa significhi) - è qualcosa che mi sono sentita in dovere di affrontare, soprattutto perché il sesso e la lussuria sono temi presenti in modo ben visibile in questo album. La cosa che ai critici manca è che non fa assolutamente alcuna differenza se la persona che Jackson è stato sul palco fosse portata li da ciò che lui era nella vita o no; la recitazione anche mimica nelle sue performance è potente .

Willa: Questo è vero. Lui lo ha fatto.

Susan: Inoltre, non vedo l'incongruenza tra il suo essere aggressivo e sexy sul palco e il suo essere tranquillo e timido fuori dalla scena , mentre questo per molti critici è un problema. E' un problema solo se pensiamo a tenuta stagna; Michael Jackson era troppo oltre però per un tipo di pensiero schematizzato..

Willa: Sì e come fai notare nel tuo libro, quell' intrigante contrasto della presenza audace sul palco con il contegno timido fuori dalla scena era molto sexy di per sé per un sacco di donne, me compresa.

C'erano anche importanti ragioni culturali e storiche per il suo essere cauto nel modo in cui si presentava fuori dalla scena, soprattutto con le donne bianche. Eleanor Bowman, che è stata con noi a volte qui, ha recentemente scritto un pezzo su NPR riguardo Billy Eckstine, uno dei primi artisti neri che ha affrontato la scena di fronte ad un pubblico di bianchi. Per essere onesti, non avevo mai sentito parlare di lui prima, ma il suo biografo, Cary Ginell, ha detto a NPR che un tempo "la popolarità di Eckstine rivaleggiava con quella di Frank Sinatra." Tuttavia, la sua carriera finì dopo una foto scattata dalla rivista LIFE:

"La foto di Eckstine venne scattata mentre esce da un nightclub di New York City, ed è assalito da ragazze adolescenti bianche", dice Ginell. "Se si guarda la foto, sembra molto innocua e molto innocente. Ciò che in realtà l'America dovrebbe essere, senza tensioni razziali, nessuna separazione razziale, solo amore onesto e la felicità tra le razze. Ma l'America non era pronta per questo nel 1950. L'America bianca non voleva Billy Eckstine in mezzo alla loro figlie."

La carriera di Eckstine si interruppe bruscamente con quella fotografia: "Eckstine continuò a registrare e esibirsi, ma nessun disc jockey bianco avrebbe mai più mandato in onda le sue canzoni." Un pò come se fosse stato volutamente cancellato dalla memoria pubblica - almeno, dalla memoria dei bianchi. Ma Michael Jackson era uno studente che leggeva molto, leggeva storia, storia soprattutto nera, e sono sicura che era informatissimo da chi aveva vissuto determinate cose prima di lui , o da come alcuni artisti erano stati percepiti come troppo gentili con le donne bianche - persone come Jack Johnson e Chuck Berry e Billy Eckstine.

Susan: Una storia molto tragica. Nel libro il punto generale su Dangerous è che la persona adulta politicizzata e sessualizzata che Jackson aveva rivelato su questo album e sui relativi cortometraggi, era incredibilmente minacciosa. E come dici tu, penso che lui sapesse di dover stare attento, considerata la storia di Eckstine e quelle di molti altri, ed è per questo che il personaggio pubblico era più morbido e dolce, fuori dalla scena, ed era così importante. Allo stesso tempo, però aveva anche cercato di togliere questo involucro di omertà - incontrando donne bianche di alto profilo, per esempio. Io mi rivolgo a questo nel libro. Per parecchio tempo ha mantenuto questo profilo delicato ed equilibrato, ma alla fine, quando ha iniziato a presentarsi come un adulto, più auto-sessualizzato alla fine del 1980 e all'inizio del 1990, questo equilibrio è stato spazzato via. E a quel punto la sua arte non poteva essere certo facilmente messa a tacere.

E quel che c'è di così interessante per me è che molti critici e altri non potevano, non volevano, e ancora non potevano vederlo come un adulto - non crederlo tale - e credo che questo sia uno dei motivi per cui così spesso è stato diffamato o infantilizzato. Lo testimonia la storia da tabloid recente in cui dei camerieri senza nome, che presumibilmente hanno lavorato a Neverland, hanno riferito che lo hanno visto far "pipì" in casa sua e a minacciarli di tirargli "palle fatte di cacca di animali" all'occorrenza; questo è un particolare tipo di denigrazione - tra cui la lingua infantile utilizzata - che mette a nudo Jackson nella sua età adulta. Potremmo dire che è come spogliarlo di molti aspetti - la dignità, la capacità di essere preso sul serio, forse della sua umanità ...

Willa: Sono d'accordo! Si nega la sua umanità in un senso molto letterale: la pipì sul pavimento e gettare le feci è qualcosa che farebbe una scimmia, che farebbe un animale non un essere umano. Quando ho sentito quelle storie, ho subito pensato al coro di "Monster":

mostro
    (E 'come un animale)
    Lui è un mostro
    (Proprio come un animale)
    Lui è un animale

Penso che avesse capito questo genere di impulsi da parte di alcuni che volevano vederlo come un mostro, un animale, uno spauracchio, un Altro, e lui ci ha costretti a riconoscerlo.

Susan: Sì, di sicuro. Ma penso che l'uso di linguaggi infantili sia molto specificato dal desiderio di relegarlo alla prepubescenza, all'infanzia - in un brutto modo, non nel modo in cui lui avrebbe voluto! Nella sua penetrante analisi del cortometraggio per "Black or White", Eric Lott dice che all'inizio della danza della pantera "qualcosa di così straordinario accade in quel momento, qualcosa che il pubblico almeno all'inizio non ha saputo cogliere."

Willa: Sono d'accordo!

Susan: Anch'io. Elizabeth Chin approfondisce questo dicendo che molti hanno trovato la danza della pantera "incomprensibile" nel modo in cui definirebbero qualcosa di poco familiare; lei usa il concetto di Freud del perturbante, "riconoscimento di una verità che è stata soppressa," per aiutare a descrivere ciò che è accaduto a molti spettatori in quel particolare momento. Penso che questo si possa dire su Jackson in generale, tanto più che lo aveva raggiunto più da maturo e aveva iniziato a sfidare il suo pubblico più profondamente sulle questioni sociali. I critici e alcune persone del suo pubblico non potevano coglierlo, non potevano vedere quello che stava dicendo, o facendo.

Willa: Questo è vero. E questo è un ottimo modo di descrivere gran parte del suo lavoro successivo, non è vero? Ci costringeva, a un certo livello di coscienza, a riconoscere "una verità che era stata soppressa"? E la danza della pantera è un esempio incredibile di questo. Più di 20 anni dopo, stiamo ancora cercando di scoprire la "verità" su quella performance, ne siamo ancora storditi e non possiamo cogliere tutto, per parafrasare Lott.

Così Susan, leggendo il tuo libro sono stata più volte spiazzata dalla penetrante analisi del' "anatomia" o struttura musicale dei brani specifici, così come l'album nel suo insieme. Una cosa che subito ha attirato la mia attenzione è come si veda la struttura complessiva di Dangerous come fosse un libro a "capitoli", o gruppi di canzoni che esplorano un tema collegato. In realtà, utilizzi una struttura simile nel tuo libro, in modo che rispecchi Dangerous, capitolo per capitolo.

Susan: Sì, sento Dangerous come un concept album; il concetto è diluito, ma è lì. Naturalmente i brani possono essere ascoltati e apprezzati singolarmente, ma penso che Jackson stesse puntando a qualcosa di più grande, più coeso, una narrazione onnicomprensiva. E' un approccio sorprendentemente diverso da quello che aveva usato su Thriller o Bad, che - almeno per quanto io possa sentire - non hanno questo tipo di coesione narrativa. Questo è il motivo per cui abbiamo bisogno di cominciare a pensare a ogni album individualmente, prestando attenzione ai profili, temi ed idee.

È interessante notare quello che aveva detto nella sua intervista con Ebony nel dicembre 2007 (e detto in molte altre occasioni) che l'approccio di Thriller è stato quello di renderlo un album di hit singole. Con le sue parole:

Se si prende un album come Lo Schiaccianoci [da Tchaikovsky], ogni canzone è un killer, ognuna. Così mi sono detto, 'perché non può esserci un album pop dove ogni canzone ...' La gente è abituata a fare un album in cui c'è una buona canzone e il resto sono come lati B. Le chiamano "le canzoni dell'album" - e dico a me stesso: 'Perché non possono tutte essere canzoni di successo? Perché ogni canzone non può essere così grande che la gente voglia comprarla, e rilasciabile anche come singolo? 'Così ho sempre cercato di lottare per questo. Quello era il mio obiettivo per il prossimo album [Thriller].

Il citare Tchaikovsky come esempio è così interessante per me:quale musicista pop di successo ha mai preso come esempio un disco di musica classica ?? Ma l'idea di Tchaikovsky non era lontana da Jackson. Il balletto lo Schiaccianoci è lungo, complicato, e richiede un sacco di risorse per montarlo; perché non creare una suite "Greatest Hits" che potesse essere eseguita come un pezzo da concerto? Penso che sia anche interessante che ci siano otto pezzi nello Schiaccianoci, la maggior parte di loro abbastanza breve - il tutto dura circa 25 minuti. Non posso fare a meno di vedere un parallelo con la struttura di Thriller: nove canzoni, circa 42 minuti di musica.

Willa: Wow, questo è un modo davvero interessante di interpretare quella citazione.Sai, ho visto quel balletto molte volte, e alcune parti della partitura sono molto popolari - sembra che ovunque tu vada a Natale si senta la musica per la Danza della Fata Confetto in sottofondo, ed è stato inclusa anche in Fantasy della Disney. Ma non credo di non aver mai davvero ascoltato la musica de Lo Schiaccianoci fino in fondo, separato dal balletto, e non ho mai pensato alla Suite come ad un album. E' così interessante, soprattutto quando lo si mette fianco a fianco con Thriller ...

Susan: Sì, quello era l' obiettivo di Tchaikovsky nella creazione della Suite: voleva il pezzo eseguito più spesso, si era reso conto che non poteva farlo come pensato perchè era troppo lungo, e così lanciò quelle che lui pensava fossero le "greatest hits" e creò la Suite.

Ma torniamo a Thriller, la lunghezza è nella media di un album pop, ma il numero di canzoni è invece ridotto, in realtà, forse il numero più basso che ci sia mai stato in un album pop. E, come sappiamo, quasi ogni canzone di Thriller è stata un singolo di successo. La mia sensazione è che la gente in generale considero questo semplicemente come il modo in cui lui aveva deciso di mettere insieme gli album , ma io non credo che questo sia vero (in realtà se si guarda la citazione di cui sopra con attenzione, vedrete che lui fa particolare riferimento a Thriller ). Thriller è un particolare e insolito esempio coinciso di come un artista amava essere espansivo.

In un'intervista del maggio 1992 con Ebony, una delle domande dell'intervistatore fu quale fosse il "concetto" di Dangerous; Penso che sia una domanda abbastanza sorprendente per la ragione che gli album di Jackson non erano stati particolarmente "concettuali", fino a quel momento: ma cosa aveva fatto sospettare l'intervistatore che ci fosse un concetto? L'opera nella cover? Qualcosa sulla musica? In ogni caso, nel rispondere Jackson citò di nuovo Lo Schiaccianoci, ma in questo caso il pensiero era molto diverso:

Volevo fare un album che fosse come quello di Tchaikovsky, la Suite de Lo Schiaccianoci. In modo che fra un migliaio di anni da oggi, le persone stiano ancora ad ascoltarlo. Qualcosa che avrebbe vissuto per sempre. Mi piacerebbe vedere i bambini e gli adolescenti e i genitori e tutte le razze di tutto il mondo, fra centinaia e centinaia di anni, che ancora tirano fuori le canzoni di quell'album e le analizzano. Io voglio che viva.

Beh, la dissezione è iniziata! Devo ammettere che, mentre avevo letto questa intervista, prima, non mi sono ricordata di questa frase se non dopo aver finito il libro: che vergogna. Ma mi sento un po' rincuorata dal pensiero che Jackson lo avesse fatto infatti, che avesse voluto un concetto generale per questo disco, che non lo avesse pensato in termini di singoli di successo (o non esclusivamente o principalmente), ma in una serie di canzoni interconnesse, disposte in un ordine particolare, che ci raccontano una storia. E una storia piuttosto complessa anche, quella che puoi vedere solo analizzandolo nel dettaglio (l'idea che un artista voglia che la sua opera sezionata sia abbastanza emozionante per una come me).

A mio modo di vedere, quella storia parla molto di grandi idee: si tratta di esaminare e di contestare la situazione del mondo contemporaneo con l'energia e la resistenza e lasciarsi perdere in tutte le complessità dell'amore (e della lussuria!) , del sentimento della speranza, rinvigoriti ... e poi di essere profondamente, profondamente, traditi e feriti, non solo dall' amore, ma da tutti e da tutto. Dal mio punto di vista, non ci si riprende mai completamente da quel senso di tradimento in questo disco, anche se ti trasporta in una profonda ricerca interiore. Le canzoni sono raggruppate, consentendo di esplorare idee a notevole profondità, esaminate attraverso diverse lenti musicali e liriche.

Willa: Sì, questo è stato così interessante per me. Non avevo mai pensato ai suoi album così prima, che comprendessero gruppi di canzoni correlate, come capitoli di un libro, e che ci si muovesse attraverso una sequenza di esperienze emotive, come fa un romanzo. Ma ora che hai fatto notare questa struttura in Dangerous, la vedo in HIStory e pure in Invincible.

Ad esempio, Invincible inizia con tre canzoni dolorose riguardo un rapporto disastroso con una donna indifferente: lei sta cercando di fargli del male, lei non lo capisce, lei lo rifiuta senza dargli la possibilità di spiegare o di conquistarla. E interessante, questo riflette il suo rapporto con il pubblico in quel momento: la stampa (ed anche la polizia) erano davvero lontani dal farlo, la gente non lo capiva, ed aveva respinto i suoi album successivi e non avrebbe dato loro - o a lui - una possibilità.

Fa seguito una serie di 5 canzoni dove lui sta immaginando scene d'amore autentico e passione sessuale . E' come se stesse cercando di evocare l'immaginazione, l'amore e il desiderio che gli erano stati negati nelle prime tre canzoni.

Susan: Sì, questi due gruppi sono indubbiamente presenti in Invincible. Sembrava voler esplorare un tema attraverso più di una canzone, in tracce back-to-back, negli album album successivi. Vedere lo stesso concetto da più angolazioni.

Willa: Esattamente.

Susan: Un'altra strategia narrativa su un album successivo da cui sono stata colpita è la sua decisione di terminare History con "Smile". Tutta quella rabbia e veleno, tutto quello che va a commentare sulle ingiustizie sociali sia personali sia ampiamente culturali, espresse attraverso alcune delle scanalature più aggressive che abbia mai creato, lui conclude l'album con quella tragica ballata e quel suggerimento a "sorridere anche se il tuo cuore si sta spezzando" (il suo deve esserlo stato), è molto potente.

Willa: Lo è davvero, soprattutto se si considera che "Smile" è stata scritta da Charlie Chaplin, la cui storia di vita è parallela a quella di Michael Jackson in modo significativo. Chaplin era immensamente popolare negli anni 1920 e '30, ma poi fu falsamente accusato di aver concepito un figlio fuori dal matrimonio. Ci fu un processo molto pubblico, e un test di paternità dimostrò che lui non era il padre. Ma fu trovato colpevole in ogni caso, sia in tribunale che sulla stampa, e il pubblico si rivoltò contro di lui. Trascorse il resto della sua vita in esilio, in una sorta di apatia sociale.

Dato questo contesto, immagino che "Smile" abbia parlato a Michael Jackson in un modo molto potente. E poiché la storia per certi aspetti è una risposta alle accuse contro di lui, ha senso che lui abbia finito l'album con "Smile". Raramente lui aveva incluso cover songs sui suoi album, ma ha fatto un'eccezione per "Smile". Era importante per lui.

Susan: Precisamente. Il punto sulle cover songs è davvero significativo. Come dici tu, non le aveva mai usate in realtà. L'unica altra cover che appare sul suo album da solista è "Come Together" in Bad. Sono sempre stata incuriosita da quella scelta.

Willa: Ce l'ho anche io questa curiosità! Ha usato "Come Together", in un posto molto importante alla fine del Moonwalker, e come ha detto Frank Delio, quel film era molto importante per lui - ci mise un sacco di tempo ed energia, e il proprio denaro, per farlo uscire. Così si percepisce che anche su "Come Together" c'è qualcosa di importante da scoprire. Forse possiamo fare un altro post su questo e cercare di capirlo.

Susan: Grande idea!

Willa: Quindi è davvero affascinante guardare i suoi album successivi come costituiti da "capitoli" di canzoni e quella struttura che sembra iniziare con Dangerous. Come hai sottolineato con le due citazioni de Lo Schiaccianoci (e com'è interessante che vi abbia fatto riferimento due volte, in modi così diversi!) non sembra aver usato questo approccio con i suoi album precedenti. Thriller è più una raccolta di singoli di successo, come hai detto. Ma con Dangerous, sembra portare gli ascoltatori in un viaggio emozionante man mano che procediamo attraverso l'album - che suggerisce che qualcosa si perde quando ascoltiamo queste canzoni in modalità casuale sul nostro iPod.

Susan: O dobbiamo solo avere un diverso tipo di approccio, forse troppo sottile. Mi piace guardare le strutture formali, però, e penso che sia interessante per vedere l'album nel suo insieme. "Jam", per esempio, serve come una sorta di ouverture su Dangerous . Sono anche colpita dai particolari strutturali, per esempio la prima volta che sentiamo Jackson in Dangerous è attraverso il respiro - prima che cominci a cantare - all'inizio di "Jam"; questo uso aggressivo del respiro ritorna nell'ultima canzone dell'album, "Dangerous", portando in effetti il disco a completare il cerchio. Non credo che un dettaglio come questo sia una coincidenza; quando si ascolta la musica con orecchie aperte si inizia a sentire com'è intrinsecamente costruita, come sfumata.

Willa: Sì, ci sono rumori in questo album che non avevo mai notato o ai quali non avevo dato peso, come l'uso del suo respiro, o il suono ricorrente di vetri infranti, o l'immagine visiva del globo che compare più volte nei video di questo album (in Jam, Heal The World, Black or White, Will You Be There) e che occupa una posizione centrale sulla cover dell'album. E come fai notare nel tuo libro, il significato di questi motivi sembra evolvere nel corso dell'album.

Ad esempio, il vetro infranto, guadagna un significato una volta che hai visto tutti i vetri rotti nella danza della pantera in Black or White - in particolare, possono essere letti come espressione di rabbia per l'ingiustizia razziale. E una volta che hai fatto questo proposito, è molto interessante per poi tornare indietro e ascoltare gli altri momenti di vetri infranti e vedere come questo influenzi il significato anche lì. Ad esempio, penso che ci sia una componente razziale in In the Closet, come Joie ed io abbiamo discusso in un post di qualche tempo fa, e abbiamo saputo riconoscere il significato dei vetri infranti in quella canzone e nel video. E l'album nel suo complesso inizia con il rumore di vetri infranti, un modo, come, di darci un segnale per comprendere quello che andremo ad ascoltare?

Susan: Infatti. Il suono "non-musicale" di questo album è davvero importante da prendere in considerazione, contribuisce a plasmare la narrazione. Il rumore dei vetri infranti ricorre in vari luoghi, come dici tu, e penso che il suo significato sia molteplice e complesso. Ma uno dei modi nei quali io interpreto il suono com'è usato all'inizio del disco, è come fosse la metafora di un mondo lacerato.

Willa: Oh, molto significativo, Susan. E si adatta davvero con l'immagine ricorrente del globo, e la sensazione che stia concentrandosi su "molte grandi idee" su questo album, come hai detto prima.

Ci sono anche alcune tecniche musicali ricorrenti che si identificano nel tuo libro che ho trovato davvero intriganti. Ad esempio, sia "Jam" che "In the Closet" comprendono una linea di basso nel coro, ma non nei versi - una marcata assenza, se questo ha un senso. E che crea una sensazione molto instabile nei versi, come fai notare, come stessimo a penzoloni su un vuoto senza terra sotto i piedi. Mi piace quell'immagine perché descrive perfettamente il mio disagio durante l'ascolto di "Jam" - qualcosa che sento piuttosto intensamente, ma non ci avevo mai pensato prima o non ero risalita alle sue origini, e certamente non l'avevo mai associata alla mancanza dei bassi. E quella sensazione instabile si adatta al significato dei testi, perché in entrambi i brani i versi descrivono un problema: un mondo lacerato, un conflitto romantico.

Il basso appare poi nel ritornello, che, come fai notare nel libro, fornisce una sensazione di rassicurazione - come, Wow! Ora siamo di nuovo su un terreno solido! E questo rafforza il significato dei testi anche perché il coro suggerisce una soluzione. In "Jam", ci dice la soluzione ad un mondo lacerato che è quella di "jam", di vivere insieme come una comunità e fare musica insieme, letteralmente e simbolicamente. Così le idee e le emozioni espresse nel testo sono rinforzate in modo sofisticato dalla musica.

Susan: Sì, questo è un grande esempio di come i suoni musicali scivolino su idee sociali. Come ti fa sentire quando quella quando il sottofondo di basso non c'è? Come funziona la parte che quasi rispecchia la linea vocale della tastiera - ma di un'ottava più alta e con un timbro che ci fa sentire tesi, che contribuisce al senso di ansia in questa canzone? Per non parlare della voce brillante di Jackson nei versi, che si percepisce: lui è sempre in vista sul ritmo - di proposito, naturalmente (questo è davvero difficile da fare in modo coerente, tra l'altro).

Willa: Amo il modo in cui la metti, Susan: ". Come i suoni musicali scivolano sulle idee sociali" Per me, questa è davvero l'essenza di ciò che è così affascinante nel tuo libro. Non so abbastanza di musica per scoprire questo da sola, per capire come specifici dettagli musicali si traducano nella creazione di un significato ed emozione. Non avevo nemmeno notato molti di questi dettagli, fino a quando li hai segnalati nel libro, e poi, Wow! E' come se fossero elementi di queste canzoni sentiti per la prima volta - come quello dell'inquietante linea alta nella tastiera in "Jam" che hai appena citato. L'ho sentita così chiaramente adesso da quando ho letto il tuo libro, ma non ricordo di averla mai sentita prima. Così si apre un nuovo aspetto della sua genialità che era oscuro per me, senza l'aiuto tuo o di Lisha o di altri con la vostra esperienza.

Susan: Spero che sia utile. Quando la gente dice che Jackson era un perfezionista, è di dettagli come questo che stanno parlando (con i testi, la sua danza - della quale io non ho le competenze per dire molto, ecc): la scelta di un particolare strumento o il timbro, il posizionamento di un soffio, la decisione di creare una canzone in un genere particolare, o l'idea di aggiungere un suono inquietante (uno degli esempi più interessanti di questa ultima idea - almeno per me - sono le percussioni che si sentono dopo l'ultima interazione del coro in "They Don’t Really Care About Us", appena prima che torni la chitarra. E' proprio un punto di vista sonoro interessante in sé e per sé, ma perché la dissonanza in quel punto, perché una nuova timbrica che non era stata sentita prima nella canzone?). Alcune di queste idee venivano dai suoi produttori, ne sono sicura, ma lui le ha condivise. Il punto è, che aveva capito e apprezzato la potenza del dettaglio musicale. Per non dire altro.

Willa: Assolutamente. Beh, mi sento un pò come se avessi affrontato però solo un dettaglio del primo capitolo del tuo libro - c'è molto di più da discutere ed esplorare! Spero che ti unirai a noi ancora qualche volta. E' sempre così divertente parlare con te.

Susan: Sì ... e abbiamo elaborato su ciò che in quel primo capitolo in qualche modo c'è di interessante! Grazie per l'opportunità di esplorare queste idee con voi; Sarei felice di unirmi a voi di nuovo.

Questa traduzione è a opera di BILLA70 per il Michael Jackson's Gold World. In caso di ripubblicazione citare la fonte riportando l'url diretto a questo post, (clicca sulla data del post per ottenere l'url diretto)

Edited by Wivvy - 15/1/2015, 21:40

1 replies since 12/10/2014, 15:47   145 views