Michael Jackson's Xscape - Recensioni

« Older   Newer »

1. Valerie77

"The King of Pop"

Group
    Threatened

Status
    Anonymous

Text and Meaning in Michael Jackson's Xscape (part 1)

By Aberjhani

Welcome to the new 5-part series on Michael Jackson’s Xscape album. You can make sure you catch each installment of the series by signing up for a free email subscription. Part 1 begins now:

“He talked always about giving love. It was never about how much love he got back.”
    ––Antonio “L.A.” Reid discussing Michael Jackson, Xscape Documentary DVD
    Any announcements of “new music” from Michael Jackson must necessarily and rightly be met with a healthy amount of skepticism.

Important questions have to be answered: Is this new music going to be something dug out of once-private vaults simply because of its guaranteed ability to stimulate cash-flow for all those who manage to attach their names to it? Or will it emerge and stand as a true representation of Jackson’s certified brilliance and successfully extend the incandescent legacy of soul-nourishing rhythms and altruistic service he spent a lifetime creating?

The now much-discussed 17 tracks on the “deluxe edition” of the Xscape album allow listeners to consider such questions in depth. Eight “contemporized” versions of songs first recorded in the 1980s and 1990s are followed by original versions and a bonus track featuring Justin Timberlake. Critics have been close to unanimous in proclaiming the album’s musical excellence. How well does it serve the greater purposes established by Jackson himself in regard to his vision of his music and his life?

Visual Metaphors for the King of Pop

One thing was made very clear by early looks at the album’s cover image, by Mat Maitland of Big Active, and the poster, by Mr. Brainwash, that comes with some editions of the album. Both recognize Jackson in a way he often said he wished most to be remembered–– as a great artist. The poster by Mr. Brainwash (a.k.a. Thierry Guetta) gives us MJ rendered in a neo-expressionistic pop style reminiscent of works by Jean-Michel Basquiat, Andy Warhol, and Banksy all rolled into one. Surrounded by the titles of songs in different fonts against a seemingly shredded and splattered background, Jackson emerges as both a creator of enduring art and an indestructible force of it.

The ultra-modern image created by Mat Maitland for the cover drew boos and cheers when first revealed but it may in fact represent one of the better metaphors for the King of Pop ever offered. The upper portion of Jackson’s head extends out a slanted golden ellipse that could be a satellite dish, part of a speaker, a halo, or a portal. The interior of the circle, and Jackson’s face and suit beneath it, reflect a universe pulsing with energy. It may be interpreted as a symbol of Jackson as someone who was in tune with the “music of the spheres” but also as something more. It possibly implies he had been born of that marvelous myth and was someone who shared with the world as many of the gifts he brought with him as the world allowed. It certainly illustrates, as the centerfold image in the CD’s booklet does, that there was always much more to the man than most could see.

Making the Spiritual Connection

In interviews with Billboard Magazine editor Joe Levy on the Xscape Documentary DVD, every principal producer involved spoke of a desire to render service on behalf of Michael Jackson’s legacy. This musical dream team included: “L.A.” Reid, executive producer Timbaland, Rodney Jerkins, Erik Hermansen and Mikkel Storleer of Stargate, Jerome “Jroc” Harmon, and John McClain.

Beyond honoring what all described as the King of Pop’s “greatness,” each described making an unexpected spiritual connection with Jackson. This prompted them to amplify his musical aesthetic rather than attempt to dominate a given track with their own preferred style. Timbaland saw it as a profound challenge:

“I’m doing Michael Jackson [‘s album] but I can’t talk to him,” he noted. “So how do I channel to him? So when I did my music I’d hear him saying, ‘That’s it Tim. That’s it, that’s what I like!’ His spirit resonated through me to give me the OK.”
    Jerkins had a similar experience: “When I went in [the studio] I went in with the mindset of what would Michael want me to do right now. There [were] things that I would musically and it was almost like I could hear his voice saying, ‘No no no no, try this…’”
    The question of just how well the select team of producers served Jackson’s own well-crafted vision of his artistry was not answered to everyone’s satisfaction when “Love Never Felt So Good,” the first single from Xscape, was released worldwide the first week of May 2014. For those who ask, “Why is that?” please continue reading.

www.examiner.com/article/text-and-m...-part-1?cid=rss
    ------------

Testo e Significato di "Xscape" di Michael Jackson( parte 1)

di Aberjhani
    Benvenuti nella nuova serie in 5 parti sull'album Xscape di Michael Jackson. Potrete avere tutte le altre parti della serie sottoscrivendo un abbonamento gratuito di posta elettronica. Parte 1:

"Ha sempre parlato di dare amore. Mai di quanto amore ha avuto indietro . "
    - Antonio "LA" Reid parlando di Michael Jackson, Xscape Documentario DVD
    Ogni annuncio di "nuova musica" di Michael Jackson, deve necessariamente e giustamente incontrare una buona dose di scetticismo.

Ci sono domande importanti a cui rispondere:questa nuova musica sarà qualcosa di interpretato come un tirato fuori da forzieri una volta privati a causa della sua garantita capacità di far guadagnare denaro a tutti quelli che sono stati coinvolti ? O emergerà e si distinguerà come una vera rappresentazione della nota genialità di Jackson e con successo prolungherà l'eredità elettrizzante dei suoi ritmi soul e del sacrificio a cui ha dedicato tutta la vita ?

Gli ormai tanto discussi 17 brani dell' "edizione deluxe" dell'album Xscape consentono agli ascoltatori di considerare tali questioni in profondità. Otto versioni "attualizzate" di canzoni registrate negli anni 1980 e 1990 sono seguite dalle versioni originali e una bonus track con Justin Timberlake. I critici sono stati quasi unanimi nel proclamare l'eccellenza musicale dell'album. Ma quanto bene si affianca ai grandi obiettivi stabiliti da Jackson stesso riguardo alla propria visione della sua musica e della sua vita?

Metafore visive per il Re del Pop

Una cosa è molto chiara da un primo sguardo all' immagine della copertina dell'album, di Mat Maitland di Big Active, e del poster, di Mr. Brainwash, che viene fornito con alcune edizioni dell'album. Entrambi rappresentano Jackson nel modo in cui spesso diceva che avrebbe voluto essere ricordato - come un grande artista. Il poster di Mr. Brainwash (aka Thierry Guetta) ci dà un MJ rappresentato in uno stile pop neo-espressionista che ricorda le opere di Jean-Michel Basquiat, Andy Warhol e Banksy tutte insieme. Circondato dai titoli delle canzoni in diversi tipi di carattere contro uno sfondo che sembra strappato e schizzato, Jackson emerge sia come creatore di arte duratura e forza indistruttibile .

L'immagine ultra-moderna creata da Mat Maitland per la copertina ha attirato fischi e applausi, quando è stata pubblicata, ma in realtà può rappresentare una delle metafore migliori del Re del Pop mai offerte. La parte superiore della testa di Jackson emerge da una ellisse dorata inclinata che potrebbe essere una parabola, parte di un altoparlante, un'aureola, o un portale. L'interno del cerchio, e il viso e il vestito di Jackson sotto , riflettono un universo che pulsa di energia. Può essere interpretato come un simbolo di Jackson come qualcuno che era in sintonia con la "musica delle sfere", ma anche come qualcosa di più. E forse implica che fosse nato da quel meraviglioso mito e una persona che avesse condiviso con il mondo molti dei regali che aveva portato con sé che il mondo gli ha permesso. Certamente illustra, come l'immagine del paginone centrale nel libretto del CD , che ci fosse sempre molto di più dell'uomo che i più potevano aver visto.

La nascita della connessione spirituale

Nelle interviste con il direttore di Billboard Magazine Joe Levy sul Documentario DVD di Xscape, ogni principale produttore coinvolto ha parlato della volontà di essere al servizio dell' eredità di Michael Jackson. Questo team musicale da sogno ha incluso: "LA" Reid, il produttore esecutivo Timbaland, Rodney Jerkins, Erik Hermansen e Mikkel Storleer di Stargate, Girolamo "Jroc" Harmon, e John McClain.

Al di là di onorare quello che tutti hanno descritto come la "grandezza " del Re del Pop , ognuno ha raccontato di aver sperimentato una connessione spirituale inaspettata con Jackson. Questo li ha spinti ad amplificare la propria visione musicale, piuttosto che tentare di dominare un determinato brano con il proprio stile preferito. Timbaland lo ha visto come una sfida profonda:

"Sto facendo un album di Michael Jackson ma non posso parlare con lui", ha osservato. "Allora, come faccio a connettermi? Così, mentre mi occupavo della musica mi sono sentito come se mi stesse dicendo: 'Ecco Tim. Ecco, questo è quello che mi piace! 'il suo spirito risuonava attraverso di me per darmi l'OK. "
    Jerkins ha avuto un'esperienza simile: "Quando sono andato in [studio] sono entrato con il pensiero di quello che Michael avrebbe voluto che io facessi. C' [erano] cose che avrei voluto aggiungere, musicalmente parlando,ed era quasi come se avessi potuto sentire la sua voce che diceva: 'No no no no, prova questo ...' "
    La questione di quanto bene il team selezionato di produttori abbia reso bene l'immagine dell'arte di Jackson non è stata condivisa con soddisfazione di tutti quando "Love Never Felt So Good", il primo singolo da Xscape, è stato rilasciato in tutto il mondo la prima settimana di maggio 2014. Per coloro che chiedono: "Perché?" vi prego di continuare a leggere.

Traduzione Betelgeuse per MJGW

62 replies since 11/4/2014, 14:17   2250 views