1. ArcoIris

"The King of Pop"

Group
    Dangerous

Status
    Anonymous

Album Review: Michael Jackson, Xscape
    (4 stars out of 5)

It takes a big man to admit when he’s wrong, so watch me make moves like The Hulk.

When word leaked a few weeks ago that another posthumous Michael Jackson album was on the way, I was pretty skeptical.

Well, even more so than usual.

Most posthumous albums wind up a total disaster, shoehorning a deceased artist’s vocals into beats from an entirely different generation of music. The result is an extreme styles clash. I had no desire to hear MJ vocals slapped over a turnt-up track with Future’s voice cracking in the background.

But after “Love Never Felt So Good” leaked, I was heartened. This was the vintage MJ sound we loved, delivered to a new generation of fans. It worked.

And thankfully, that’s the case for Xscape, the best collection of Jackson songs we’ve heard in years.

“Love Never Felt So Good” triumphs because it gives us everything we loved about the King of Pop – an elegant score that rockets through your speakers with immeasurable energy. It’s just plain fun – the type of song even your grandma n’ dem will jam to.

Although the production is definitely noteworthy, largely thanks to Timbaland, Rodney Jerkins and others sticking true to classic sounds, Michael’s vocals are still no joke.

“Loving You” gives allows just enough room for MJ’s vocals to be showcased, before the 808s start thumping in the hook. Also, the heavenly horns on “Blue Gangsta” are a perfect complement to Jackson’s voice.

Best of all, there are no attempts to makeover MJ’s material in the image of some younger artist. MJ’s not popping bottles nor holding down his hood, thankfully. His time-tested themes remain the same.

“A Place With No Name” sees MJ facing temptation but he runs in the opposite direction. He’s never been known for his pimp game – no need to make over his image. “Slave to the Rhythm,” which begins with chains clanking like Django before the tempo tosses them off, is his tribute to unappreciated women. And of course, Michael has one for the kids – “Do You Know Where Your Children Are” highlights the plight of misguided youth. It could have very easily come off as corny but the high-energy (almost frantic) pace will keep the listener entertained.

Music connoisseurs might be bugged by a few technical issues on Xscape. Trained ears might notice that some vocals are slightly off-kilter with the beat, but that’s the cost of using 13-year-old vocals. Still, those cases are few and far between.

Does Xscape reach the levels of Thriller? Not on your life. But as a tribute album is a rousing success – I’d dare say in many ways that it’s more cohesive that MJ’s last proper album, Invincible.

MJ fans, fess up. It’s OK to admit that you were wrong.

And I’m starting with the man in the mirror.

Best tracks: “Love Never Felt So Good,” “Blue Gangsta,” “Slave to the Rhythm”

4 stars out of 5

http://youknowigotsoul.com/album-review-mi...scape-4-stars-5

Album Review: Michael Jackson, Xscape
    (4 stars out of 5)

Ci vuole un grande uomo per ammettere quando sbaglia, per cui guardatemi mentre mi muovo come Hulk.

Quando qualche settimana fa è trapelata la notizia che un altro album postumo di Michael Jackson stava per uscire ero piuttosto scettico.

Beh, ancora più del solito.

La maggior parte degli album postumi si conclude in un disastro totale, che forza la voce di un artista defunto in ritmi di tutt'altra generazione di musica. Il risultato è uno scontro estremo di stili. Non avevo nessun desiderio di sentire la voce di MJ schiaffeggiato su una traccia intossicata con la voce di Future sparata in background.

Ma dopo la diffusione di "Love Never Felt So Good" mi sono rincuorato. Questo era il suono vintage di MJ che ci piaceva, consegnato a una nuova generazione di fan. Ha funzionato.

E per fortuna è così per Xscape, la migliore collezione di canzoni di Jackson che abbiamo sentito da anni.

"Love Never Felt So Good" trionfa perché ci dà tutto quello che amavamo del Re del Pop - un'elegante partitura che schizza attraverso gli altoparlanti con energia incommensurabile. E' puro divertimento - il tipo di canzone che anche vostra nonna può improvvisare.

Anche se la produzione è sicuramente degna di nota, in gran parte grazie a Timbaland, con Rodney Jerkins e gli altri che restano fedeli ai suoni classici, le parti vocali di Michael sono ancora una cosa seria.

"Loving You" dà spazio appena sufficiente alla voce di MJ per essere in mostra, prima che la 808 inizi a martellare nel gancio. Inoltre i fiati celestiali in "Blue Gangsta" sono un complemento perfetto per la voce di Jackson.

Ancora meglio, non ci sono tentativi di ristrutturare il materiale di MJ a immagine di qualche artista più giovane. MJ non fa "popping bottles" (dallo stappare bottiglie di champagne nei club, espressione usata nelle proprie canzoni da molti artisti contemporanei fra i quali Usher, Kanye West, Akon, ndt) né si tira giù il cappuccio, per fortuna. I suoi temi di lunga durata rimangono gli stessi.

"A Place With No Name" vede MJ affrontare la tentazione, ma poi corre nella direzione opposta. Non è mai stato noto per apprezzare il sesso mercenario, non c'è bisogno di cambiare la sua immagine. "Slave to the Rhythm", che inizia con rumore di catene come Django prima che il ritmo le spazzi via, è il suo omaggio alle donne non apprezzate. E, naturalmente, Michael ne ha uno per i bambini - “Do You Know Where Your Children Are”mette in evidenza la difficile situazione dei giovani che vanno su una cattiva strada. Avrebbe potuto facilmente venire fuori come sdolcinata, ma il ritmo ad alta energia (quasi frenetica) intratterrà l'ascoltatore fino alla fine.

Gl intenditori di musica potrebbero intercettare alcuni problemi tecnici su Xscape. Orecchie allenate potrebbero notare che alcune parti vocali sono leggermente fuori squadra con il ritmo, ma questo è il prezzo per l'utilizzo di parti vocali vecchie di 13 anni. Eppure, questi casi sono pochi e lontani tra loro.

Xscape raggiunge i livelli di Thriller ? Neanche per idea. Ma come album tributo è un successo travolgente - oserei dire in molti modi che è più coeso dell'ultimo album vero e proprio di MJ, Invincible.

Fan di MJ, confessate. Va bene ammettere di aver sbagliato.

E io sto iniziando con l'uomo nello specchio (cit. da Man in the Mirror, ndt).

Migliori brani: “Love Never Felt So Good,” “Blue Gangsta,” “Slave to the Rhythm”
    Voto 4 stelle su 5

Traduzione: 4everMJJ - MJFS

62 replies since 11/4/2014, 14:17   2251 views