1. Valerie77

"The King of Pop"

Group
    Threatened

Status
    Anonymous

Xscape – An Album Listening Like No Other

by MJWN

MJWN’s Matt Blank has listened to the ‘Xscape’ album, and there’s a lot of excitement he wants to share with you:

The experience I had on Thursday was like no other. Myself, along with around 10 other fans who represent fantastic Fan Clubs all over the world, were invited to LA in California by the Estate of Michael Jackson and Epic Records. We all attended somewhat blindly, without any knowledge of what we were going for. However, with the new album ‘Xscape’ already announced, it was a fairly safe bet that we were going to get a chance to listen to the album. Excitement was running through all of us as we met that morning, though it reached a new level when our car arrived at the Jim Henson Recording Studios.

This studio used to be known as the A&M Studios and it was where Michael co-wrote ‘We Are The World’ and recorded it with many other high profile artists. There wasn’t a more fitting location to listen to Michael’s voice again than in that room. Little has changed to the studio in nearly 30 years. With the wooden floor and ceiling, it was instantly recognisable from what we’ve seen in the video of the hit charity single of 1985.

As I looked around, reflecting on the history that was made in the room, we sat down in a semi-circle and John Branca, co-executor of Michael’s Estate, greeted us all and explained why we were there. Then L.A. Reid, Chairman of Epic Records and Executive Producer of the ‘Xscape’ album walked in. He was ready to personally play us the eight new tracks on the album. He explained that in line with his style of production work, the eight tracks selected are the best tracks he could have found in the vault of Michael’s archives. He said he disregarded any recordings that didn’t have full vocals, noting that if Michael recorded a whole song (compared to just a chorus for example) then it meant that Michael liked it. And true to form this is something we can see as we look back on Michael’s career. John Branca pointed out that ‘Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin” was originally recorded for ‘Off The Wall’ but used three years later on ‘Thriller’. ‘Earth Song’ and ‘They Don’t Care About Us’ was originally recorded for ‘Dangerous’, but eventually used four years later on ‘HIStory’. The songs left over, recorded in full, aren’t finished articles. But nor are they necessarily songs Michael had disregarded and thrown into the trash. Also interestingly, Reid told us later on that he was unaware that six out of the eight tracks had previously been leaked, and that the song list had already been chosen when this information was brought to his attention.

Before hitting play, Reid delighted us with stories from his past; the moment he met Michael, the moment he had an official meeting with Michael, and other stories including touching moments he witnessed between Michael and his children. The stories spanned two decades, as Michael and Reid grew close and desired to work together. Unfortunately this was never meant to be during Michael’s lifetime, nevertheless Reid’s appreciation, love and respect for Michael is evident.

My original intention was to review each song and scribble down notes to report what each track sounded like. However, with every song that passed, my pen was used less and less. As the album continued, we were getting up, starting to dance, move, feel the music and experience Michael in a new way. I stared around the historic ‘We Are The World’ room, with L.A. Reid jumping around to the grooves, John Branca and the rest of the Estate team dancing and Michael’s vocals ringing through my ears, and writing notes on every song was not what I wanted to do. It wasn’t a place to write. It was a place to listen. The music dictated this more than being a conscious decision. I was overwhelmed by the music and soon enough you will find out why when it’s released. It’s not for me to ruin that experience and surprise for you. So instead, let me give you the quickest of overviews:

Tracklisting:

Love Never Felt So Good
    Chicago
    Lovin’ You
    A Place With No Name
    Slave To The Rhythm
    Do You Know Where Your Children Are
    Blue Gangsta
    Xscape
    Overview:
    Each song could be a dance floor filler. They all have very strong beats that rumble through your body. The opening song put an immediate smile on my face and raised the hair on my arms. With powerful vocals delivered by Michael throughout, his passion, his anger and his love is constantly there.

The album was played twice back-to-back. Smiles all around, the excitement was so different to anything I’ve experienced before. Branca would go and talk to different people in the room. He said to me “this will fill dance floors across the world”. And it just might!

The next month will prove to have lots of surprises for the fans and public alike. I’m not going to tell you what they are, but what I will say is that as I walked out of the studio, I was left with the knowledge that Michael’s legacy is in great hands. Michael worked harder than any other artist throughout his career. He would want that legacy continued. Creating the record breaking Cirque Du Soleil tour, releasing a movie, producing a video game among other things such as anniversary albums and DVD releases, is just part of what the Estate have done to help further and retain Michael’s legacy. Bringing together producers to release unheard material; producers that knew Michael or worked with Michael or it was a known fact that Michael admired, is just right. The album feels contemporary in every way and it’s thrilling to hear Michael again. You think you’ve heard some of these songs before…but you haven’t. Not like this!

It is a delicate situation, but the Estate have continued Michael’s legacy with dignity and introduced millions of new people to Michael’s unique talents.

Long may it continue.

http://www.mjworld.net/news/2014/04/12/xsc...-like-no-other/

------------

Xscape- Un Album come nessun'altro

dal MJWN

L'esperienza che ho avuto giovedi è stata unica. Io e circa 10 altri fan in rappresentanza di fantastici Fan Club di tutto il mondo siamo stati invitati a Los Angeles in California dall'Estate di Michael Jackson e dalla Epic Records. Abbiamo tutti partecipato un po' alla cieca, senza alcuna conoscenza di cosa stavamo andando a fare. Tuttavia, con il nuovo album 'Xscape' già annunciato, era una scommessa abbastanza sicura che stavamo per avere la possibilità di ascoltare l'album. L'eccitazione era palpabile in tutti noi quando ci siamo incontrati quella mattina, anche se è arrivata a un nuovo livello quando la nostra auto è arrivata ai Jim Henson Recording Studios.

Questi studi sono conosciuti come A&M Studios ed è stato lì che Michael ha co-scritto 'We Are The World' e l'ha registrata con molti altri artisti di alto profilo. Non c'era luogo più adatto per ascoltare la voce di Michael ancora una volta. Poco è cambiato nello studio in quasi 30 anni. Con il pavimento e il soffitto in legno era immediatamente riconoscibile come quello che abbiamo visto nel video del singolo benefico del 1985.

Mentre mi guardavo intorno, riflettendo sulla storia che era stata fatta nella stanza, ci siamo seduti in semicerchio e John Branca, co-esecutore del patrimonio di Michael, ci ha accolti e ci ha spiegato il motivo per cui eravamo lì. Poi L.A. Reid, presidente di Epic Records e produttore esecutivo dell'album 'Xscape', è entrato. Era pronto a farci sentire personalmente gli otto nuovi brani dell'album. Ha spiegato che, in linea con il suo stile di lavoro di produzione, gli otto brani selezionati sono i migliori brani che avrebbe potuto trovare negli archivi di Michael. Ha detto che ha ignorato le registrazioni che non avevano le parti vocali complete, notando che se Michael aveva registrato un'intera canzone (rispetto ad appena un coro, per esempio), allora significa che a Michael piaceva. E fedele alla forma, questo è qualcosa che possiamo vedere guardando indietro alla carriera di Michael. John Branca ha sottolineato che 'Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' era stata originariamente registrata per 'Off The Wall', ma è stata utilizzato tre anni dopo su 'Thriller'. 'Earth Song' e ‘They Don’t Care About Us’ erano state originariamente registrate per 'Dangerous', ma alla fine sono state utilizzate quattro anni più tardi su 'HIStory'. Le canzoni avanzate, completamente registrate, non sono articoli finiti, ma non sono neanche necessariamente canzoni che Michael aveva disprezzato e gettato via. Inoltre è interessante notare che Reid ci ha detto più tardi che era ignaro che sei delle otto tracce erano precedentemente trapelate e che l'elenco dei brani era già stato scelto quando questa informazione è stata portata alla sua attenzione.

Prima di iniziare a far sentire le canzoni Reid ci ha deliziato con le storie del suo passato, il momento in cui ha incontrato Michael, il momento in cui ha avuto un incontro ufficiale con Michael, e altre storie inclusi momenti commoventi di cui è stato testimone fra Michael e i suoi figli. Le storie attraversavano due decenni, mentre Michael e Reid diventavano più intimi e desideravano lavorare insieme. Purtroppo questo non era destinato ad accadere durante la vita di Michael, tuttavia l'apprezzamento di Reid, il suo amore e rispetto per Michael è evidente.

La mia intenzione iniziale era di recensire ogni canzone e buttare giù degli appunti per riportare impressioni su ogni traccia. Tuttavia, via via che passavano le canzoni la mia penna veniva usata sempre meno. Mentre l'album continuava ci siamo alzati cominciando a ballare, muoverci, sentire la musica e l'esperienza di Michael in un modo nuovo. Mi guardavo intorno nella storica stanza di 'We Are The World', con LA Reid che saltellava al ritmo dei groove, John Branca e il resto del team dell'Estate che ballava, la voce di Michael nelle mie orecchie, e scrivere appunti su ogni canzone non era quello che volevo fare. Non era un luogo per scrivere, era un luogo per ascoltare. Era la musica a dettare questo, più che una decisione consapevole. Sono stato sopraffatto dalla musica e ben presto potrete scoprire perché, quando sarà pubblicato. Non voglio rovinare questa esperienza e questa sorpresa per voi. Perciò, invece, permettetemi di darvi una veloce visione d'insieme:

Tracklist:

1. Love Never Felt So Good
    2. Chicago
    3. Lovin' You
    4. A Place With No Name
    5. Slave To The Rhythm
    6. Do You Know Where Your Children Are
    7. Blu Gangsta
    8. Xscape

Panoramica:

Ogni canzone potrebbe essere un riempipista in discoteca. Sono tutte dotate di ritmi molto forti che rimbombano attraverso il corpo. La canzone di apertura mi ha immediatamente fatto sorridere e venire la pelle d'oca. Con le potenti parti vocali di Michael per tutta la traccia, la sua passione, la sua rabbia e il suo amore sono sempre lì.

L'album è stato suonato due volte. Sorrisi ovunque, l'eccitazione era così diversa da qualsiasi cosa io abbia mai sperimentato prima. Branca ha parlato con diverse persone nella stanza. Lui mi ha detto "Questo riempirà le piste da ballo di tutto il mondo". E potrebbe davvero!

Il mese prossimo porterà un sacco di sorprese per i fan e il pubblico. Non ho intenzione di dirvi quali sarannno, ma quello che voglio dire è che, uscendo dallo studio, avevo la consapevolezza che l'eredità di Michael è in ottime mani. Michael ha lavorato più duramente di qualsiasi altro artista durante la sua carriera. Vorrebbe che la sua eredità continuasse. Creare il tour da record del Cirque Du Soleil, pubblicare un film, produrre un videogioco tra le altre cose, come album da anniversario e uscite in DVD, è solo una parte di ciò che l'Estate ha potuto fare per aiutare ulteriormente e conservare l'eredità di Michael. Riunire produttori per pubblicare materiale inedito, produttori che conoscevano Michael o avevano lavorato con Michael o era un fatto noto che Michael ammirava, è giusto. L'album risulta attuale in ogni modo ed è emozionante sentire di nuovo Michael. Voi pensate di aver sentito alcune di queste canzoni prima... ma non le avete sentite, non così!

E' una situazione delicata, ma l'Estate ha continuato l'eredità di Michael con dignità e ha introdotto milioni di persone nuove ai talenti unici di Michael.

Che continui a lungo.

Traduzione 4everMJJ MJFS

62 replies since 11/4/2014, 14:17   2250 views