1. ArcoIris

"The King of Pop"

Group
    Dangerous

Status
    Anonymous

Boat Batteries and Michael Jackson

EfO5dTg
    The quest for perfection was relentless back in our Westlake Studio days. Bruce Swedien was stubbornly focused on making the "Bad" album a sonic work of art. He wanted to have sounds that no one had ever heard, and unmatched clarity, punch and perfection.

1986 was an exciting time to be in recording studios. Digital tape machines were just coming into their stride. The Synclavier, with Chris Currell in the driver's seat, was making its mark on music. Analog was still deeply respected and loved, but digital was proving how powerful a force it would become.

New microphones were being introduced, as well as drum machines, reverbs, compressors, and of course microphone preamps. No matter how elaborate your studio is or what type of console you choose, at the center of any recording are three things: the singer, the microphone and the mic pre-amp.

So let's start with the singer. I talk a lot about recording vocals with Michael during my seminars, and I have written about it here before, so I won't spend much time on it in this article other than to say it is always a pleasure to record a singer who... can sing. Michael would approach the microphone like a tennis player reaches for a racket or baseball player his favorite glove (no pun intended). Michael was a pro, and his voice was his instrument, his tool.

Next comes the microphone. Again, I have written extensively about microphones: new vs. vintage; tube vs. solid state; dynamic vs. condenser vs. ribbon. Each microphone (seriously) has it's own character and sound, and Bruce (and the team) were very particular about which microphone to use for each singer, type of song, instrument, etc. Asking an engineer what his or her favorite microphone is would be a bit like asking someone what their favorite food or wine is: it changes depending on the situation. I love sushi, but not for breakfast. I also love crab cakes, but not at baseball game. Same with microphones - each one has it's one distinctive sound and application.

Now, microphone pre-amps are not very glamorous nor celebrated quite like microphones and of course singers, but they also play a very key role in recording. The pre-amp is the first "amplifier" in the signal flow from the singer's mouth the console. OK, we won't get too technical, but a microphone pre-amp takes that tiny bit of voltage that the microphone generates from it's capsule and electronics and boosts it to a point that the rest of the recording chain (equalizers, compressors, etc.) can use it. (I heard that yawn - give me a few more seconds!)

So what does all this have to do with a boat battery?
    Well, during the recording of the "Bad" album, Bruce was curious about what impact the voltage from the wall (line voltage) was having on the microphone and mic pre-amp. We deal with grounding issues all the time in studios, listening rooms, theaters, etc. Even if the line voltage is solid, it often brings noise into a system from neighbor's running vacuum cleaners, air conditioner motors, light dimmers, etc. (Stay with me a bit longer.) So Bruce wanted to try to reduce as much of that noise as possible in this early stage of the recording - at the microphone and mic pre-amp. So... he brought in a giant boat battery and a power inverter. I know - you were thinking the same thing, right?? He had the techs build him a little charging station in the studio, right in front of Michael's mic stand. So when Michael was going to sing a vocal, we would go out, unplug the charger, and connect the boat battery to the inverter to power the mic and the pre-amp. This essentially "floated' those devices from the electrical grounding in the studio.

It was a really cool concept, and something I discussed with Will Smith years later when I built a recording studio for him, but that's another story.

So the boat battery power system was part of the Bad album, but it didn't quite have enough "wow factor" to stick around after that. Still, it was a bit amusing to our guests to have all of this pristine recording equipment available, and a giant boat battery on the floor near Michael's vocal set-up. Leave it Bruce to push the limits anytime, anywhere and however possible.

Germany - can you believe we will be with you in just two weeks??!! Brad Buxer, Michael Prince and I have our passports ready, we have some amazing stories and memories to share, and we cannot wait! I just heard from my friends at PMC Monitors and they are providing a sound system that will quite simply blow your mind. Brace yourself for an amazing weekend at Dieter Dierk's Studio June 25th - 28th.
    Spain - I will be at the amazing Estudio 3 in Madrid the following weekend, July 3rd - 5th. I am so excited to be bringing "In The Studio With MJ" to my Spanish friends for an amazing weekend for music, stories, videos and memories. I truly cannot wait to be there!
    Tickets are on sale now for all events at
    www.inthestudiowithmj.com/events.

See you in a couple weeks, just leave your boat battery at home.
    Keep The Faith -
    Brad

www.facebook.com/inthestudiowithmj/posts/440495419457691

Batterie da imbarcazione e Michael Jackson

La ricerca della perfezione nei nostri giorni a Westlake Studio era implacabile. Bruce Swedien era ossessionato nel fare dell'album "Bad" un'opera d'arte sonora. Voleva suoni mai ascoltati prima con una chiarezza, impatto e perfezione senza precedenti.

Il 1986 è stato un momento emozionante negli studi di registrazione. I registratori digitali stavano diventando parte di loro. Il Synclavier, con Chris Currell al posto di pilotaggio, stava lasciando la sua impronta nella musica. La registrazione in analogico rimaneva profondamente rispettato e amato, ma il digitale dimostrava quanto potente sarebbe diventato.

Sono state introdotti nuovi microfoni, drum machine, riverberi, compressori e, naturalmente, preamplificatori microfonici. Non importava quanto complesso fosse il vostro studio o che tipo di console sceglievi, al centro di ogni registrazione c'erano solo tre cose: ilcantante, il microfono e preamplificatore microfonico.

Cominciamo con il cantante. Parlo molto di come abbiamo registrato le voci di Michael nei miei seminari, ho anche scritto su di esso prima, quindi non dedicherò molto tempo su di esso in questo articolo se non per aggiungere che è sempre un piacere registrare un cantante... che può cantare. Michael si avvicinava al microfono come un giocatore di tennis alla sua racchetta o uno di baseball al suo guanto peferito. Michael era un professionista e la sua voce era il suo strumento.

Passiamo al microfono. Ancora una volta, ho scritto molto sui microfoni: nuovo contro vecchio, tubo contro stato solido; dinamico contro condensato o nastro. Ogni micro (sul serio) ha una sua personalità e suono e Bruce (e tutto il team) eravamo molto esigenti su quale tipo di microfono utilizzare per ogni cantante, tipo di canzone, strumenti, ecc.
    Chiedere ad un ingegnere qual'è il suo tipo preferito di microfono sarebbe come chiedere a qualcuno qual'è il loro cibo o vino preferito: cambiano a seconda della situazione. Mi piace il sushi, ma non per la prima colazione. Mi piace anche la torta di granchio, ma per mangiarla in un campo da baseball. Lo stesso vale per i microfono, ognuno ha un suono caratteristico e applicazione.

I preamplificatori microfonici, che non sono così glamour e celebri come i microfoni e i cantanti, ma hanno un ruolo chiave nella registrazione. Il preamplificatore è il primo "amplificatore" nel flusso del segnale dalla bocca del cantante alla console. Va bene, non andiamo molto sul tecnico, ma un preamplificatore di microfono converte una piccola tensione generata dalla capsula microfonica e i suoi componenti elettronici e lo aumenta a un punto in cui il resto della catena di registrazione (equalizzatori, compressori, ecc ) può utilizzarlo. (Ho sentito uno sbadiglio, datemi qualche secondo!)

Che cosa c'entra questo con la batteria di una barca?

Ebbene, durante la registrazione dell'album "Bad", Bruce era curioso di sapere quale impatto la tensione dalla parete (tensione di rete) stava avendo sul microfono e preamplificatore microfonico. Avevamo sempre a che fare con i problemi di messa a terra negli studi, sale d'ascolto, teatri, ecc Anche quando il voltaggio era solido, spesso c'erano rumori vicino ai sistemi di pulizia, motori di aria condizionata, variatori di luminosità, ecc (Rimanete ancora un po'.) Bruce voleva ridurre, per quanto possibile, quel suono in questa fase iniziale della registrazione nel micro e preamplificatore. Quindi ... ho portato una gigantesca batteria da barca ed un inverter. Lo so, state pensando la stessa cosa, giusto?
    Ha fatto costruire ai tecnici una piccola stazione di ricarica nello studio, proprio davanti al microfono di Michael. Quando Michael avrebbe cantato, avremmo scollegato il caricabatterie e collegato la batteria dell'imbarcazione all'inverter per alimentare il microfono e il preamplificatore. Questo fondamentalmente escludeva tutti i dispositivi collegati nella rete elettrica dello studio.

Era un concetto davvero “figo”, e qualcosa che ho discusso con Will Smith anni dopo, quando gli ho costruito uno studio, ma questa è un'altra storia.

E così, il sistema di alimentazione con una batteria da imbarcazione ha fatto parte dell'album "Bad", ma non è stato abbastanza decisivo per continuare ad essere utilizzato in seguito. Nonostante questo, i nostri ospiti rimanevano sbalorditi nel vedere che insieme a tutte le attrezzature di registrazione sofisticate avevamo un enorme batteria da imbarcazione accanto al microfono di Michael. Bruce ha sempre cercato di andare oltre i limiti fino a dove fosse possibile.

Traduzione: Michael Jackson Gold World

Edited by ArcoIris - 20/5/2017, 04:09

53 replies since 13/7/2013, 07:36   3628 views