INTERVISTE A MJ e CONVERSAZIONI DI MJ

« Older   Newer »

1. Wivvy

User deleted

My most wonderful moment by Michael Jackson

Interview year: 1972

There have been many wonderful moments in Michael’s life, he told us. But there is one he’ll never forget. He’ll never forget it because it was the first happening that started his career in music rolling.

“My earliest memories of are of the other guys practicing in our front room with Mom and me just listening and Randy – he was just a baby then – going to sleep on her lap. Papa would bang away on the drums and all the others would sing and clap their hands and be playing instruments. Everyone was really grooving. And every night it would be the same thing. Everyone having a really good time, but all I got to do was clap my hands. And I really wanted to join in.

“But every time I suggested it, well the others would sort of grin at me and say, ‘Why, you’re so young, Mike. What can you play?’ I knew they were only kidding but it used to hurt me.

“But because I’m kind of a stubborn fellow, I never let on that I has hurting inside. I’d just shut up and listen and swing along with the music they were playing.

“And I really used to dig it. Even then, when none of us was doing anything too spectacular, I still used to dig it. I used to live through the whole day in a kind of dream, waiting for the evening when we could get together and start making music. Even if I couldn’t join in, I knew one day they’d let me and I could just keep up with them in my head – sort of sing along in my own mind, if you catch what I mean.

“Then I remember one day in the middle of winter. I was walking back from school and it was snowing. But I was feeling kind of sad, I was just holding my arms round myself to keep warm. I didn’t want to throw any snowballs. I didn’t want to talk to any of the other guys. I didn’t want to do anything. Like I said. I was feeling sad.

“I didn’t have too many friends at school because I was more interested in the music we were playing at home. And I was too proud, I guess, to turn to any of my brothers and tell them what I was really feeling. Man, was I low.

“Looking back I had no right to be. I guess I can say now. I was feeling sorry for myself.

“But when I got back to the house Mom called out and asked me if I wanted anything to eat. I just said ‘No.’ Then I trundled off to the loneliest corner of the house I could find and sat down with my thoughts.

“I guess I must have sat there for a couple of hours. I could hear the others but I wasn’t really listening.

“They had started their music practice. Jackie told me afterwards what had happened. They had just started when Pop said: ‘Where’s Michael?’ Tito had said: ‘He’s not feeling too good. He’s got the blues; not himself at all.’

“Pop had got really angry then, ‘We can’t have that – we’re supposed to be a family. We’ve got to help each other along when we’re not feeling too good. Marlon, you go and find him and bring to us.’

“So Marlon came and found me sitting in the corner of our bedroom. ‘Come on brother. Pop wants to see you downstairs.’

“ ‘I don’t want to go.’

“ ‘Well you’ve got to, come on,’ he said and grabbed me by the arm pulling me to my feet.

“We went downstairs and I stood in front of everyone. When I say everyone I mean it. Even little Randy hadn’t gone to sleep yet and was watching me. But Pop just grinned at me and said: ‘Come on Michael. We can’t have you feeling blue. What’s the matter?’

“ ‘I don’t know, Pop. I just don’t feel too groovy today.’

“And Pop sort of sighed and said: ‘Well sit down right there and sing us a song then.’

“I could hardly believe it. ‘Me sing with you’ I said incredulously.

“ ‘Well you’re old enough, aren’t you? You know how to sing don’t you? Well come on then, let’s be hearing you.’

“And then Jackie played a chord on the guitar and I started to sing. It was fantastic. I lost my blues with the snap of a finger.

”And soon everyone was clapping their hands and singing along.

“From that night on I’ve always sung with the others.

“That was the night I became one of the Jackson Five.

“It was the most wonderful moment of all my life.”

www.mjtranslate.com/en/interviews/1685

Fonte: www.the-michael-jackson-archives.com/wonderfulj5moments.html

Edited by ArcoIris - 22/7/2018, 02:23

"The King of Pop"

Group
    Threatened

Status
    Anonymous

Il Mio più grande incredibile Momento- di Michael Jackson

Intervista del 1972
    Ci sono stati molti momenti meravigliosi nella vita di Michael, ci racconta. Ma ce n'è uno che non dimenticherà mai. Non lo dimenticherà mai, perché è stato il primo momento che ha poi deciso il suo futuro nel mondo della musica.

"I miei primi ricordi sono legati alle prove fatte dagli altri miei fratelli nella nostra camera da letto mentre io mamma e Randy ascoltavamo seduti - era solo un bambino quindi - e aspettavamo di andare a dormire. Papà dava il via con la batteria e tutti gli altri iniziavano a cantare e ballare suonando i propri strumenti. Erano tutti molti bravi . E questo si ripeteva ogni sera. Ognuno di loro aveva modo di mostrare le sue capacità, ma tutto quello che al massimo io potevo fare era battere le mani. E invece avrei voluto partecipare.

"Ma ogni volta che cercavo di suggerirlo, mi guardavano scuotendo la testa e dicendo: 'Sei così giovane, Mike. Cosa pensi di poter fare? 'Sapevo che stavano solo scherzando, ma io sono un pò masochista.

«E sono un pò testardo, e così continuavo a chiedere.E poi me ne stavo li in silenzio ascoltando la musica che suonavano.

"Così passavo il tempo ad allenarmi e imparare. E quando c'erano pause e nessuno stava facendo niente di spettacolare, io cercavo di capire e approfondire. Era un pò come vivere tutta la giornata in un sogno, e aspettavo l'arrivo della sera,quando potevamo stare tutti insieme e fare musica. Anche se non potevo partecipare, sapevo che un giorno mi avrebbero lasciato farlo così cercavo di tenere il passo con loro mentalmente - sai cantavo ma nella mia testa, se riesci a capire quello che voglio dire.

"Poi mi ricordo un giorno in pieno inverno. Stavo tornando da scuola e nevicava. Ma mi sentivo un pò triste, mi stringevo sulle braccia nella speranza di riuscire a riscaldarmi un pò. Non avevo nessuna voglia di giocare a pallate, e nemmeno giocare con altri ragazzi. Non volevo fare niente. Come ho già detto. Mi sentivo triste.

"Non ho mai avuto troppi amici a scuola perché ero più interessato alla musica che suonavamo a casa. Ed ero così orgoglioso che fossero proprio loro i miei fratelli. Io mi sentivo in confronto una nullità.

"Guardando ora al passato non avevo motivo di sentirmi così. Credo di poterlo dire adesso. Forse ero solo dispiaciuto per me stesso.

«Quando tornai a casa mamma mi chiamò chiedendomi se volevo qualcosa da mangiare. E io risposi solo 'No' , poi andai in cerca dell'angolo della casa più isolato e mi sedetti li con i miei pensieri.

«Credo di essere rimasto li per un paio d'ore. Sentivo le voci degli altri, ma non stavo davvero ascoltando.

"Avevano iniziato a suonare. Jackie mi raccontò dopo cosa era successo. Avevano appena iniziato quando papà aveva chiesto: 'Dov'è Michael?' e Tito gli aveva risposto: 'Non si sente troppo bene. E' triste( malinconico) '.

"Papà li per li si era arrabbiato ma poi disse 'no non va bene - noi dovremmo essere una famiglia. Dobbiamo aiutarci a vicenda anche quando non ci sentiamo troppo bene. Marlon, vai a prenderlo e portalo qui da noi '.

"Così Marlon venne a cercarmi e mi trovò seduto in un angolo della nostra camera da letto. 'Vieni fratello. Papà vuole vederti al piano di sotto '.

"'Non voglio venire'

"'Be' devi, dai, 'e mi prese per un braccio tirandomi in piedi.

"Così scendemmo al piano di sotto e mi ritrovai di fronte a tutti. Quando dico tutti dico sul serio, tutti. Anche Randy non era ancora andato a dormire e mi guardava. Poi papà mi sorrise e mi disse: 'Vieni Michael. Non va bene che tu sia triste. Qual è il problema? '

"'Non lo so, Papà. Io non mi sento troppo bene oggi '.

"E Papà fece un lungo sospiro e rispose: 'Va bene, siediti li allora e canta una canzone.'

"Non riuscivo a crederci. 'Io posso cantare con te?', dissi incredulo.

"'Be' sei cresciuto abbastanza, non è vero? Sai come cantare si? Bene andiamo allora, e cerca di essere intonato '

"Jackie fece un accordo di chitarra e io iniziai a cantare. E fu bellissimo. La mia malinconia scomparve con uno schiocco di dita.

"Poco dopo tutti battevano il ritmo con le mani e cantavamo tutti insieme.

"Da quella notte ho sempre cantato con gli altri fratelli.

"E' stata la notte che sono diventato uno dei Jackson Five.

"E' stato il momento più bello di tutta la mia vita."

Traduzione a cura di Valerie77 per il Michael Jackson's Gold World. In caso di ripubblicazione citare la fonte riportando l'url diretto a questo post.( per ottenere l'url diretto clicca sulla data.)

Edited by ArcoIris - 22/7/2018, 02:23

"The King of Pop"

Group
    Just Good Friends

Status
    Grazie per la bellissima testimonianza Valerie

"The King of Pop"

Group
    Threatened

Status
    Anonymous
    CITAZIONE (moon night @ 4/1/2015, 09:34) 

Secondo me al paparino è caduta la mascella quando l'ha sentito cantare...
    Michael ne parla come se non fosse accaduto niente di straordinario( a parte la sua soddisfazione intendo)... ma... :surprise: :happy: :azz:

Edited by ArcoIris - 18/7/2017, 03:40

"The King of Pop"

Group
    Just Good Friends

Status
    Anche secondo me

"The King of Pop"

Group
    Dangerous

Status
    Anonymous
    CITAZIONE (Valerie77 @ 4/1/2015, 09:39) 
    CITAZIONE (moon night @ 4/1/2015, 09:34) 

Secondo me al paparino è caduta la mascella quando l'ha sentito cantare...
    Michael ne parla come se non fosse accaduto niente di straordinario( a parte la sua soddisfazione intendo)... ma... :surprise: :happy: :azz:

:quoto: considerando l'estensione vocale che aveva già a quell'età e senza averla ancora "educata" .... direi che era il minimo! :sogghigno:

Edited by ArcoIris - 18/7/2017, 03:39

7. Wivvy

User deleted

Out Of The Mouth Of Michael . . .

August 16, 1992 - By Glenn Plaskin.

Between performances on his whirlwind European tour, Michael Jackson agreed to this rare interview with Glenn Plaskin. An emissary was sent to hand-deliver the questions to Jackson in Germany after his Munich concert, whereupon he dictated his answers, which were then transmitted to his literary agent in Washington, D.C. The answers were typed and faxed to Plaskin for publication.

I like that you care, drawing attention in your new book ``Dancing the Dream`` to ``a child crying in Ethiopia, a sea gull struggling pathetically in an oil spill, a teen-age soldier trembling with terror. . .`` Do you think we`ve become numb to all this?

``No, I don`t think we have become numb to these tragedies. We are seeing a worldwide resurgence and restoration of basic human values and concern for the sacredness of all life on our planet.``

Your book is filled with an old soul`s wisdom about life. Do you think of yourself as a philosopher?

``I don`t think of myself as a philosopher. I think I have a purpose, as does everyone else on Earth. To find that purpose and to live to express it is to ignite the spark of divinity within us.``

Did all the poems and essays in the book come from a daily journal?

``I don`t keep a journal. Ideas gestate and incubate in my mind.``

You always say dreaming is so important. Have you realized all your dreams?

``No. I haven`t. Without dreams there is no creativity. The creative urge in us comes from discontent-a divine discontent that seeks to change, to transform, to fill the world with more magic. My priority in life is to make a difference, to tread unfamiliar, uncharted territory and to leave some trails behind.``

What do you like about kids and how do they revive you when you feel burdened?

``Children are innocent and they are non-judgmental. They revive me, because they help me find my own inner child, without whom I would be lost. From children we can learn to love, to forgive, to create anew in everything and to heal the world.``

When you`re alone, do you feel lonely or contented?

``I know how to experience solitude. Loneliness can be a harsh experience, but solitude is love and consciousness with all of life.``

You often speak of God and spirituality, and you were reared as a Jehovah`s Witness. Do you consider yourself a religious person today?

``I don`t consider myself religious in the sense of subscribing to a particular dogma. I would consider myself spiritual-in that I believe there is a domain of awareness in which we can experience our universality. I read all kinds of religious literature, because I believe there is truth in all of them.``

In your book`s essay ``Trust,`` you write: ``We think separating ourselves from others will protect us, but that doesn`t work. It leaves us feeling alone and unloved.`` Do you feel imprisoned by your fame?

``Yes. Fame can be imprisoning. But the best part of being Michael Jackson is that I know I can interact with millions of people; and in that interaction we exchange something.``

Which is . . .

``Love. It is exhilarating. It is magic.``

I bet you could have been a great ballet dancer. Your mother once said you could imitate almost any dance move by the time you were 5. When you`re dancing onstage, how does it feel and how hard do you work at it?

``I dance to express my bliss. I do not strain at practice when I`m dancing. I just feel that the dance is dancing itself through me. I`m an instrument for the expression of ecstasy.``

Give us a few secrets: What do you eat, how do you exercise?

``My life is not constrained by special diets or exercise routines! I have fun with my friends or by myself. I like to see movies, read books, dance-and sometimes do nothing.``

You write so much about animals. What can we all learn from them?

``Animals do not kill out of cruelty, greed or jealousy. And most do not kill their own kind. We are the only animals that plunder and destroy the Earth! But we are learning, and it is not too late.``

Speaking of animals, after the sexy, violent ``panther`` section of

``Black or White`` created so much controversy, amateur psychologists speculated that you were letting off tremendous feelings of anger about . . . ``Anger and rage are the prelude to a shift in consciousness. Unless we feel rage at some of the inequities and injustices of our society, there is no hope for transformation.``

Your videos are state-of-the-art, like a mini-motion picture. Would you like to make feature-length films?

``I`m going to produce and direct many feature films; movies that bring out the magic of life-that entertain but also make people think.``

In the meantime, when you`re composing songs for your next album, do the words come first or the music?

``I first hear the music and feel the dance, and then the words come spontaneously.``

In your essay ``On Children of the World,`` you say so many children have had their childhoods stolen from them. As a child star, did you feel that way?

``I certainly did not have a routine childhood. But the magic was always there.``

We`ve all seen Elizabeth Taylor fight so passionately for AIDS funding and compassion. What quality do you like most about her as a friend?

``Elizabeth has passion for life. We must live with passion.``

Having hosted Elizabeth Taylor`s wedding last October, do you dream that one day you might have a wedding of your own?

``My life is the present. And the excitement of life is to step into the unknown every morning. I look forward to the future-whatever it brings.``

Fonte: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1992-08...y-daily-journal

Edited by ArcoIris - 22/7/2018, 02:24

8. Wivvy

User deleted

Dalla bocca di Michael...

Fra le esibizioni del suo ciclonico tour europeo, Michael Jackson ha accettato questa rara intervista con Glenn Plaskin. Un emissario è stato mandato a consegnare le domande a Jackson in Germania dopo il suo concerto di Monaco, dopo di che ha dettato le sue risposte, che sono state trasmesse al suo agente letterario a Washington D.C.. Le risposte sono state digitate e spedite via fax a Plaskin per la pubblicazione.

Mi piace che ti importi, attirando l' attenzione sul tuo nuovo libro " Dancing the Dream " a " un bambino sta piangendo in Etiopia, un gabbiano sta pateticamente lottando in del petrolio rovesciato, un soldato adolescente sta tremando di terrore.. " Pensi che siamo diventati indifferenti a tutto questo?

" No, non penso che siamo diventati indifferenti alle tragedie. Stiamo vedendo una rinascita mondiale e ripristino dei valori umani di base ed interesse nella sacralità di tutta la vita sul nostro pianeta "

Il tuo libro è pieno della saggezza di una vecchia anima sulla vita. Ti vedi come un filosofo?
    " Non mi vedo come un filosofo. Penso di avere uno scopo, come ce l'ha chiunque altro sulla Terra. Trovare quello scopo e vivere per esprimerlo è infiammare la scintilla della divinità dentro di noi "

Tutti i poemi e saggi nel libro provengono da un diario giornaliero?
    " Non tengo un diario. Le idee restano in gestazione ed incubate nella mia mente "

Dici sempre che sognare è molto importante. Hai realizzato tutti i tuoi sogni?
    " No, non l'ho fatto. Senza sogni non esiste creatività. Lo stimolo creativo in noi deriva dal malcontento - un malcontento divino che cerca di cambiare, di trasformare, di riempire il mondo con più magia. La mia priorità nella vita è di fare la differenza, di percorrere territori sconosciuti ed inesplorati e di lasciare delle tracce dietro di me "

Cosa ti piace di bambini e come ti rianimano quando ti senti gravato?
    " I bambini sono innocenti e non giudicano. Mi rianimano perchè mi aiutano a trovare il mio bambino interiore, senza il quale sarei perso. Dai bambini possiamo imparare ad amare, a perdonare, a creare di nuovo in qualsiasi cosa ed a guarire il mondo "

Quando sei solo ti senti solo o contento?
    " So come sperimentare la solitudine. La solitudine può essere un'esperienza dura, ma la solitudine è amore e consapevolezza di tutto della vita "

Parli spesso di Dio e spiritualità, e sei stato allevato come Testimone di Geova. Ti consideri una persona religiosa oggi?
    " Non mi considero religioso nel senso di sottoscrivere un particolare dogma. Mi considererei spirituale - nel senso che credo che ci sia un dominio di consapevolezza in cui possiamo sperimentare la nostra universalità. Leggo tutti i tipi di letteratura religiosa, perchè credo che ci sia della verità in tutti loro. "

Nel saggio del tuo libro " Fiducia " scrivi: " Pensiamo che separarci dagli altri ci proteggerà, ma non funziona. Ci lascia a sentirci soli e non amati. " Ti senti imprigionato dalla tua fama?
    " Sì. La fama può essere imprigionante. Ma la parte migliore di essere Michael Jackson è che so che posso interagire con milioni di persone; ed in quella interazione ci scambiamo qualcosa. "

Che è...

" Amore. E' esilarante. E' magico. "

Scommetto che avresti potuto essere un grande ballerino classico. Tua madre una volta ha detto che eri in grado di imitare quasi ogni movimento di danza da quando avevi 5 anni. Quando balli sul palco, come ci si sente e quanto duramente ci lavori?
    " Io ballo per esprimere la mia gioia. Non mi sforzo alle prove quando ballo. Semplicemente sento che la danza sta ballando attraverso me. Sono uno strumento per l'espressione dell'estasi. "

Dacci alcuni segreti: Cosa mangi, come ti alleni?
    " la mia vita non è costretta da diete speciali od allenamenti pianificati! Mi diverto con i miei amici o da solo. Mi piace guardare film, leggere libri, ballare e qualche volta fare niente. "

Scrivi così tanto sugli animali. Cosa possiamo imparare tutti da loro?
    " Gli animali non uccidono per crudeltà, avidità od invidia. E la maggior parte non uccide la sua stessa specie. Noi siamo gli unici animali che saccheggia e distrugge la Terra! Ma stiamo imparando e non è troppo tardi. "

Parlando di animali, dopo che il segmento sexy, violento " panther " di Black Or White " ha creato tanta polemica, psicologi amatoriali hanno speculato che stavi lasciando andare sentimenti di tremenda rabbia riguardo a .. " Rabbia e furia sono il preludio di un cambiamento nella coscienza. A meno che non sentiamo furia per alcune delle inequità ed ingiustizie nella nostra società non c'è nessuna speranza di trasformazione. "
    I tuoi video sono opere d'arte, come dei piccoli film. Ti piacerebbe fare dei lungometraggi?
    " Produrrò e dirigerò molti lungometraggi; film che espongano la magia della vita, che intrattengano ma che facciano anche riflettere le persone. "

Nel frattempo quando stai componendo delle canzoni per il tuo prossimo album, vengono prima le parole o la musica?
    " Prima sento la musica e sento la danza, e poi le parole arrivano spontaneamente! "

" Nel tuo saggio " Sui bambini del mondo " dici che molti bambini sono stati derubati della loro infanzia. In qualità di star bambino ti sei sentito nello stesso modo? " "
    Sicuramente non ho avuto un'infanzia ordinaria. Ma la magia era sempre lì.

Abbiamo tutti visto Elizabeth Taylor lottare molto appassionatamente per i fondi per l'AIDS e per la compassione. Quale qualità ti piace più di lei come amica?
    " Elizabeth ha passione per la vita. Dobbiamo vivere con passione. "

Avendo ospitato il matrimonio di Elizabeth Taylor lo scorso Ottobre sogni che un giorno di avere un matrimonio tuo?
    " la mia vita è il presente. E la cosa eccitante della vita è quella di entrare nell'ignoto ogni mattina. Attendo con ansia il futuro - qualsiasi cosa porterà "

Questa traduzione è a opera di Lights per il Michael Jackson's Gold World. In caso di ripubblicazione citare la fonte riportando l'url diretto a questo post, (clicca sulla data del post per ottenere l'url diretto)

Edited by ArcoIris - 22/7/2018, 02:25

Quando tutti intorno a te sono in preda al panico e tu sei perfettamente tranquillo, forse non hai capito qual è il problema

Group
    Dangerous

Status
    Anonymous

Michael Jackson at 21: "I don’t know what’s the point of manhood”

Interview year: 1979

Shortly after his 11th birthday in 1969, Michael Jackson, backed by four of his fife brothers, came screaming out of Gary, Indiana, to capture the world’s attention with two minutes and fifty-eight seconds of blistering boogie called “I Want You Back.” Michael, Marlon, Jermaine, Tito and Jackie – the Jackson 5 – were an instant success, chalking up a quick succession of hit discs in the same casual way other people save up pennies: “ABC,” “The Love You Save,” “Never Can Say Goodbye,” “Mama’s Pearl,” “Goin’ Back To Indiana,” “I’ll Br There,” “Get It Together” and “Dancin’ Machine” highlight a lengthy list of gold and platinum that doesn’t even include Michael and Jermaine’s solo successes.

And, when the group left Motown Records for a new contract at Epic in 1975 (losing Jermaine in the process, adding younger brother Randy and renaming themselves the Jacksons) it took awhile for them to make the hit lists again, but when they did, they did it big. Destiny, the current LP (the first one written and produced by the group) has gone platinum, aided by its singles, “Blame It On The Boogie” and the smash, “Shake Your Body (Down To The Ground.”

Even as the group was going through its cycle of changes, Michael was evolving as well. The 10-year-old who talked of nothing but snakes, rats and swimming became a 15-year-old who said shyly that his perfect mate was simply, “a nice girl.” That Michael Jackson in turn became an 18-year-old who mourned society’s poverty, greed and assorted ills and wanted to take all the children of the world under his arms to protect them from a hellish earth.

Michael Jackson, a person some call “the gentlest spirit” in the entire music industry, is 21-years-old now, and all the Michaels that have gone before have been synthesized into this version. But there’s something disturbing about this Michael. Maybe it’s ego.

But maybe it’s not. Maybe it’s the quiet, assured knowledge of who he is and what he is, and the recognition of the fact because he’s Michael Jackson there’s only so much he has to take from – or explain to – anybody. Maybe beneath Michael’s usual characterization as a shy marshmallow, there lurks the glint of steel.

SOUL: In the pre-Jackson 5 days, your father was really strict on you guys. Did you feel restricted? Did you wanna go get it some trouble with the rest of the kids?

MICHAEL: No. We didn’t know anything about that. We were always stage people – raised on the stage, around show business people. I never associated with street life. I don’t even know what it’s like, outside of the movies.

SOUL: Not knowing what street life is like, is it more difficult to relate or project to fans of yours who are from the street?

MICHAEL: Sometimes, yeah. I’ve heard a lot of fans say, “God, you act like you’re not used to ordinary people. Why do you back up when we talk to you?” and stuff like that.

And I try my best to cooperate, but it’s just sometimes hard to be loose—totally loose—with them, because I’m not used to that environment. I’m not saying I’m living on a higher plane or I’m better than they… I honestly wasn’t raised in the streets. We’re all people, we’re all the same, but I wasn’t brought up that way.

SOUL: Do you have trouble understanding street philosophies?

MICHAEL: No. I understand all that stuff—a lot of it’s wonderful. Like, being around fans and different characters on tour, I get to pick up a lot of it.

SOUL: It seems that out of the whole family, you’re the least in tune, used to, or ready for the street thing.

MICHAEL: I love the street attitude: I really do. I think it’s so interesting and so dramatic, but sometimes I’m not used to it. I love it—especially in New York. Different characters you run into. The way the different people, and their cultures and their backgrounds have brought them to come up to me and ask, “Aren’t you so-and-so?’ It’s just funny.

SOUL: Did you ever tell’em, “No, I’m not Michael Jackson”?

MICHAEL: Yeah. I’ve said that a couple of times. Not meaning it – just to see their expressions, to see them put up the courage and pride to walk up to me and find out is it me. I just want to see how they would act, and it is funny. They say, “Are you Michael Jackson?” And I start laughing… I say, “Everybody tells me that.” They say, “Aw, man, you’re kiddin’.” And they’ll look down and then ease away. A lot of people don’t come up because they’re afraid they may be real embarrassed. It’s like building up to a big letdown. It’s awful. And then the other one with’em will say, „Man. I told you. See what I mean? Come on, let’s go.”Then they walk off (and) I say, “Yes it is!”

You get those who’ll say, “C’mon, man, you talk like him, you’re built like him…” Then you get the real mean ones – those who’ll come up to you and say, “Siddown! Sign this for my baby.” I say, “I don’t have a pen” “What! You don’t have a pen? Go hunt for one.” I say, „Oh my God, how can they be so bold and so cruel?"

You get some real terrible ones. They think they own you, and they don’t. Like, they’ll say to you, “Well, I made you who you are.” And that’s really not true. It’s true in a way, but if they didn’t like the record, they wouldn’t have bought it. I sold my record – not my soul. I didn’t sell the right for them to order me around. I sold a record. And I do it for the joy to the world of it.

SOUL: How did you feel, the first times you had all those people hollering and screaming for you?

MICHAEL: It’s a wonderful feeling. Not to be mobbed is wonderful. We just came off our European tour – we went to Switzerland, Spain, Germany, France, Holland, England – and it was really exciting. Total chaos. It hurts to be mobbed – not mentally, but physically. I mean, your body feels like a noodle, being pulled by 10 different people. It really does – especially mine.

They don’t realize it. They love you so much that they just want a part of you. They say, “I gotta get a piece of this guy, if it’s his shirt, if it’s his hair, his face – anything.” There are fans who actually have pieces of my hair. Like, I could go to England right now and they’d show me, say, “This is your hair from three years ago.” I say, “Oh, my gosh.” And it’s sitting in their wallet. They collect hair!

See, I understand why they do it to me, because if you love somebody so much and you have their pictures on the walls, you go to bed seein’’em, you pray to their pictures, you buy all their records, you think about’em, and finally when you see them in person you’re like, “Oh, my God.” You just fall out. You can’t believe it.

SOUL: What was it like when you first found your freedom restricted? You can’t even go to the movies by yourself.

MICHAEL: I seldom go to movies by myself. I think I’ve been once to the movies by myself. In New York, I was staying with (Wiz director) Sidney Lumet…. I saw Halloween. I was so scared; it was a scary movie. And I had glasses and a hat on and a coat and nobody knew me. I had such a good time.

There are fans who know the back of your head, the way your body’s shaped. I have walked across fans with my head totally down and I will, like, puff my face out so they don’t know who I am – and they stop you anyway. It’s amazing. I don’t know how they know. I guess they study your body/

We just had a girl here two weeks ago – we woke up and found her sitting by the pool… just sitting there. She’d jumped the gate. Luckily, our dogs were up. They’re usually out and they would’ve really destroyed her. We brought her inside. She demanded not to leave, and so we held her there until we had somebody to come and take her out. She demanded not to go in a very rude way.

There are all kinds of people at our gate. One lady said she was sent by God; she must see me, or she’ll be destroyed. Thirty-year-old lady. Girls hitchhiked from New York, come in front of our gate and say they wanna stay with us – sleep in. We can’t take them in. The neighbors actually take’em in; they live with our neighbors. There are people out there all the time.

SOUL: What did you think when you saw your very first crazy person?” “Goin’ Back To Indiana?”

MICHAEL: (laughing) No. I said to myself, „It’s incredible, the power and influence an entertainer can have on people to make them do things. Entertainers have incredible power. It frightens me. Sometimes I get real scared about that.

See, the thing I’m afraid about, an entertainer can be built up to be a monster in his field. I mean, so big to the world that whatever that entertainer do or say, the world will see it, they will listen to it, they will follow it. He begins to have more power and influence on people than the presidents and the kings of the world. He sets an example, and he has to be very careful. I mean, the world’s watching. The lyrics of his songs, the way he dresses, the way he talks – everything. People follow this.

SOUL: Stevie and Ali have that power.

MICHAEL: They’re wonderful. They’re two of my favorite men. I love them two. Ali was just at our show in Houston and he came up from the audience and gave a wonderful speech. I got it on tape, as a matter of fact. He said, “Listen – I’m the greatest fighter in the world. I’ve proved that I’m gonna retire. I’m gonna end the champ. I wanna end on top.” And he said, „I want’cha to know something: I don’t go to see no shows, I don’t watch no TV, I don’t go to no concerts, I don’t do any of that stuff, ‘cause I’m high on a cloud that you can’t even touch me, But I want you to know something. Muhammad Ali is the greatest boxer ever, and the Jackson 5 is the greatest group ever. And if I go to see somebody, they’re bad!” That’s what he said, and the audience went crazy.

It’s something I’m really thankful for. I don’t say it in a boastful way. I say it in a really thankful way, ‘cause I’m thankful. I’m honored to do what I do for the world. I’m glad to be chosen to do it, ‘cause it could’ve been someone else.

Some fans expect – they look – for you to be stuck up. They think all entertainers are spoiled brats… you’ve had everything, and I don’t have everything. I do wanna have the things I want, but I never want to go overboard where you just take things for granted. I will never take things for granted.

SOUL: Mike, when do you plan to leave home?

MICHAEL: A lot of people’ve asked me that question, I do things by force and a lot of things by feeling, and I just don’t feel it’s time. If I moved out, I would die of loneliness. I’m used to children, which I love, I’m used to family, which I love – people around me all the time. I would probably cry everyday if I moved out. I really would.

But, independence is good a lot of times. You can take a ride all by yourself… get to think… escapism. And I think a lot of people need that, but I couldn’t do that myself. Not now, especially.

SOUL: Why now especially?

MICHAEL: Because… there’s a lot of things that I’m doing here with the family, a lot of planning… and I feel that maybe if I moved out, I may get further and further apart.

SOUL: Well, moving hasn’t stopped Marlon and Jackie…

MICHAEL: But see, they don’t have a lot of the pressures and attention that I have from other people… the world. A lot of people come up to me and they want me to leave the group – the family.

SOUL: Do you feel like if you were away from the Mothership, there’d be more of a chance of them getting their way?

MICHAEL: See, a lot of people ask me to do this thing – to leave – but I let God speak through me and if it’s time. He’ll tell me if I should or if I shouldn’t.

SOUL: We’re talking about leaving the house or the group?

MICHAEL: The group and the house. We may be together forever, there may be a time when feelings tell me what’s right for me and to leave.

SOUL: Michael, what is it like to be such a moral man coming of age in such an amoral society?

MICHAEL: It’s easy to be so many people in this business. It’s easy to be taught and changed and bribed and connived. I just believe in my inner self and that’s how I am – the same person I was when I was small, but growing. I’m thankful for the growth in so many ways.

SOUL: But what does coming of age, being a man, your 21st birthday, mean?

MICHAEL: To tell you the truth, for me, manhood doesn’t come at an age. Manhood, I know – I’m not even gonna say “think” – is mental. There’s some five-year-old men, there’s some eight-year-old men, there’s some 30-year-old children. I don’t know what’s the point of manhood.

A lot of people say the old corny thing – “Responsibility, machoism, bein’ the head” – and all that stuff. I really feel that manhood is doin’ exactly what you wanna do in this life and to do it successfully, and to conquer a goal. That’s the whole thing in life, I guess, to do what you wanna do. And if it’s great, to share it. To me, Walt Disney is a real man. Charlie Chaplin, a real man. Fred Astaire, a real man. Bill Robinson, a real man, because not only have they conquered goals, but look at how much joy they have given to other people, how many they have influenced. Other people looked up to them. They made paths.

SOUL: Are you a man yet?

MICHAEL: In many ways, yeah. A lot of people would come up to me when I was 13… they’d say, “You just don’t know.” When we had “ABC” out, for example, all these mothers tellin’ me their children, first’ thing they learned to say was “abc” from our record. That’s influence… puttin’ something on the mind of children.

Many groups we have influenced – I could name so many of them. We were the first young group to have the hit records back to back like we did. Then all these other groups came out, tryin’ to do the same thing.

SOUL: Like the Osmonds?

MICHAEL: Yeah, and that’s an influence. And the sound of music and the style of dress and the style of… so many things.

SOUL: How long have you been a man?

MICHAEL: I don’t know. I hate to judge manhood, because I don’t feel I really am until I really do what I wanna do – what I was meant to do.

SOUL: Which is?

MICHAEL: To really do and see myself in the entertainment field as I see – to really do films the way I wanna do it, choreography, even getting into the directing end of it and really studying it.

SOUL: So there’s goals that still haven’t been reached?

MICHAEL: Oh yeah, I can never stop.

Source : www.mjtranslate.com/en/interviews/1697
    From : www.the-michael-jackson-archives.com/soul79baby.html

Edited by ArcoIris - 2/4/2018, 05:26

Quando tutti intorno a te sono in preda al panico e tu sei perfettamente tranquillo, forse non hai capito qual è il problema

Group
    Dangerous

Status
    Anonymous

Michael Jackson a 21 anni : " Non conosco il significato dell' essere un uomo "

Anno dell'intervista : 1979

Poco dopo il suo 11 ° compleanno nel 1969, Michael Jackson, accompagnato da quattro dei suoi cinque fratelli , è uscito urlando da Gary, Indiana, per catturare l'attenzione del mondo, con i due minuti e 58 secondi di un ritmo rovente di nome "I Want You Back. "Michael, Marlon, Jermaine, Tito e Jackie - i Jackson 5 - sono diventati un successo immediato, sciorinando in rapida successione dischi di successo nello stesso modo in cui altri risparmiano un penny:" ABC "," The Love You Save, ""Never Can Say Goodbye", "Mama's Pearl", "Goin 'Back To Indiana", "I'll Be There", "Get It Together" e "Dancin' Machine" raccontano una lunga lista di dischi d'oro e platino che non include ancora i successi da solisti di Michael e Jermaine.

E, quando il gruppo lasciò la Motown Records per un nuovo contratto con Epic nel 1975 (perdendo Jermaine nel frattempo ma aggiungendo il fratello più giovane Randy e rinominandosi i Jacksons) c'è voluto un po 'per ripetere di nuovo i risultati, ma quando l'hanno fatto, lo hanno fatto in grande. Destiny, l' LP attuale (il primo scritto e prodotto dal gruppo) è diventato di platino, aiutato dai suoi singoli, "Blame It On The Boogie" e il tormentone, "Shake Your Body (Down To The Ground".

Proprio mentre il gruppo stava attraversando il suo ciclo di cambiamenti, anche Michael si stava evolvendo . Il bambino di 10 anni che non parlava d'altro che di serpenti, ratti e di nuoto è diventato un 15enne che ha detto timidamente che il suo compagno perfetto era "una bella ragazza." Quel Michael Jackson, a sua volta è diventato un 18enne che si duole della povertà, avidità e dei mali assortiti della società e vorrebbe prendere tutti i bambini del mondo tra le sue braccia per proteggerli da un mondo infernale.

Michael Jackson, una persona che alcuni chiamano "lo spirito più gentile" di tutta l'industria della musica, ha 21 anni ormai, e tutti i Michael che l'hanno preceduto sono sintetizzati in questo. Ma c'è qualcosa di inquietante in questo Michael. Forse è il suo ego.

Ma forse no. Forse è la tranquillità , l'assoluta consapevolezza di chi è e di quello che è, e il riconoscimento del fatto che, poiché lui è Michael Jackson c'è così tanto da fare e non deve spiegarlo a nessuno . Forse sotto la solita rappresentazione di Michael come un timido marshmallow , si cela il luccichio dell'acciaio.

SOUL: nei giorni pre-Jackson 5, tuo padre era davvero severo con voi ragazzi. Ti sei sentito limitato? Ti ha creato qualche problema con gli altri ragazzi?

MICHAEL: No. Non sapevamo nulla. Eravamo sempre in scena- sul palco, in mezzo alla gente dello spettacolo. Non ho niente a che vedere con la vita di strada. Io non so nemmeno cosa vuol dire, al di fuori dei film.

SOUL: non sapendo com'è la vita della strada , è più difficile relazionarsi con i tuoi fan, che sono della strada?

MICHAEL: A volte, sì. Ho sentito un sacco di fan dire: "Dio, non ti comporti come la gente comune . Perché ti ritrai quando parliamo con te? "E cose del genere.

E faccio del mio meglio, ma a volte è difficile essere rilassato del tutto con loro, perché io non sono abituato a quell'ambiente. Non sto dicendo che vivo su un piano superiore o che io sono meglio di loro ... Sinceramente non mi sento superiore alla strada. Siamo tutte persone, siamo tutti uguali, ma non sono stato abituato così.

SOUL: Hai difficoltà a capire la filosofie di strada?

MICHAEL: No. Capisco tutta quella roba, molto di questo è meraviglioso. Come, avendo intorno fans e personaggi diversi nei tour, mi capita di imparare un sacco da loro.

SOUL: Sembra che di tutta la famiglia, tu sia meno in sintonia, abituato o pronto per queste cose.

MICHAEL: Mi piace l'atteggiamento della strada: davvero. Penso che sia così interessante e così drammatico, ma a volte non sono abituato . Mi piace moltissimo, soprattutto a New York. Incontri personaggi diversi. Il modo in cui le diverse persone, e le loro culture e i loro background li hanno portati a venire da me e chiedermi, "Non sei così e così? 'E' divertente.

SOUL: Hai mai detto loro, "No, io non sono Michael Jackson"?

MICHAEL: Sì. L'ho detto un paio di volte. Non veramente - solo per vedere le loro espressioni, per vederli avere il coraggio e l'orgoglio di camminare fino a me e scoprire che sono io. Voglio solo vedere come si comportano, ed è divertente. Dicono: "Tu sei Michael Jackson?" E mi metto a ridere ... Io dico, "Così dicono.." e loro dicono, "Oh, stai scherzando '." E guardano in basso e poi scappano via . Un sacco di gente non viene perché hanno paura di imbarazzarsi. E 'come creare una grande delusione. E 'terribile. E poi l'altro dirà: " Te l'avevo detto. Capisci cosa voglio dire? Vieni, andiamo. "Allora se ne vanno (e) io dico:" Sì ! "

È possibile che ci siano quelli che ti dicono, "Andiamo, amico, tu parli come lui, sei fatto come lui ..." Poi ci sono quelli che arrivano e dicono, " Firma questo per il mio bambino. "Dico," Io non ho una penna "" Cosa! Non hai una penna? Cercala! "E io dico," Oh mio Dio, come possono essere così sfacciati e così crudeli? "

Possono succedere cose terribili. Pensano di possederti, e non è vero. Ti diranno"Beh, io ti ho reso quello che sei". E questo non è proprio vero. E 'vero in un certo senso, ma se a loro non fosse piaciuto il disco, non l'avrebbero comprato. Ho venduto il mio disco - non la mia anima. Non ho venduto loro il diritto di darmi ordini. Ho venduto un disco. E lo faccio per la gioia del mondo .

SOUL: Come ti sei sentito, le prime volte che tutte quelle persone gridavano e urlavano per te?

MICHAEL: E 'una sensazione meravigliosa.Non essere assaliti è meraviglioso. Abbiamo appena finito il tour europeo - siamo andati in Svizzera, Spagna, Germania, Francia, Olanda, Inghilterra - ed è stato davvero emozionante. Il caos totale. Fa male essere assalito - non mentalmente, ma fisicamente. Voglio dire, il tuo corpo si sente come una tagliatella, sei tirato da 10 persone diverse. Davvero - soprattutto per me.

Non se ne rendono conto . Ti amano così tanto che vogliono una parte di te. Dicono: "Devo avere un pezzo di questo ragazzo, la camicia, i suoi capelli, il suo volto -. Tutto" Ci sono fans che davvero hanno miei capelli. Cioè, potrei andare in Inghilterra in questo momento e loro potrebbero mostrarmi ad esempio, "Questi sono i tuoi capelli di tre anni fa." Io dico: "Oh, mio Dio." E sono nel loro portafoglio. Raccolgono i capelli!

Vedi, io capisco perché lo fanno , perché se ami qualcuno così tanto e hai le foto sulle pareti, vai a letto e li guardi, preghi sulle loro foto, compri tutti i loro dischi, pensi sempre a loro, e, infine, quando li vedi di persona sei come, "Oh, mio Dio." Tu svieni. Non ci puoi credere.

SOUL: Come è stata la prima volta che hai visto che la tua libertà era limitata? Non puoi nemmeno andare al cinema da solo.

MICHAEL: Io raramente vado al cinema da solo. Penso di essere stato una volta al cinema da solo. A New York, ero con (il regista di Wiz) Sidney Lumet .... Ho visto Halloween. Ero così spaventato; era un film di paura. E avevo gli occhiali e un cappello e un cappotto e nessuno mi conosceva. Mi sono divertito.

Ci sono fan che conoscono la parte posteriore della testa, la sagoma del tuo corpo. Sono passato in mezzo ai fan con la testa completamente giù e gonfiavo la faccia in modo che non sapessero chi ero - e ti fermano in ogni caso. È incredibile. Io non so come fanno. Credo che studino il corpo /

C'è stata una ragazza qui due settimane fa - ci siamo svegliati e l'abbiamo trovata seduta in piscina ... solo seduta lì. Aveva saltato il cancello. Per fortuna, c'erano i nostri cani. Sono sempre fuori e l'avrebbero davvero rovinata. L'abbiamo portata dentro. Ha chiesto di non abbandonarla, e così l'abbiamo tenuta lì finché non abbiamo trovato qualcuno per venire a portarla fuori. Ha chiesto di non andare in un modo molto scortese.

Ci sono tutti i tipi di persone al nostro cancello. Una signora ha detto che è stata inviata da Dio; lei doveva vedermi, o sarà distrutta. Una donna di trent'anni. Le ragazze fanno l'autostop da New York, arrivano davanti al nostro cancello e dicono che vogliono stare con noi - dormire lì. Non possiamo farle entrare. I vicini veramente le fanno entrare; vivono con i nostri vicini. Ci sono persone là fuori tutto il tempo.

SOUL: Cosa hai pensato quando hai visto il primo pazzo? "" Torno in Indiana? "?

MICHAEL: (ride) No, mi sono detto, "E 'incredibile, il potere e l'influenza che un intrattenitore può avere sulla gente per fargli fare le cose. Gli artisti hanno un potere incredibile. Mi spaventa. A volte ho veramente paura .

Vedi, la cosa che temo , un intrattenitore può essere costruito per essere un mostro nel suo campo. Voglio dire, è così grande che qualunque cosa che faccia o dica, il mondo lo vedrà, lo ascolterà, e lo seguirà. Si comincia ad avere più potere e influenza sulle persone dei presidenti ed i re del mondo. Rappresenta un esempio, e deve stare molto attento. Voglio dire, il mondo lo guarda. I testi delle sue canzoni, il suo modo di vestire, il modo in cui parla - tutto. Le persone lo seguono .

SOUL: Stevie e Ali hanno questo potere.

MICHAEL: Sono meravigliosi. Sono due dei miei uomini preferiti. Io li amo tutti e due. Ali era al nostro show a Houston e lui è venuto su dal pubblico e ha fatto un discorso meraviglioso. L'ho registrato, anzi. Lui ha detto: "Ascolta - Sono il più grande combattente del mondo. Ho dimostrato che mi posso ritirare. Il campione sta finendo. Voglio finire al massimo "E disse:" Io voglio sapere una cosa:. Io non vado a vedere gli show, non guardo la TV, non vado a nessun concerto, non faccio niente del genere, perche' sono così in alto su una nuvola che non puoi nemmeno toccarmi, ma voglio che tu sappia una cosa. Muhammad Ali è il più grande pugile di sempre, e i Jackson 5 sono il più grande gruppo di sempre. E se vado a vedere qualcuno, sono grandi! "Questo è quello che ha detto, e il pubblico è impazzito.

E 'qualcosa di cui sono davvero grato . Non lo dico per vantarmi. Lo dico in modo davvero riconoscente, perché lo sono . Sono onorato di fare quello che faccio per il mondo. Sono contento di essere stato scelto per farlo, perche' potrebbe essere stato qualcun altro.

Alcuni fans si aspettano che uno sia pieno di sé. Pensano che tutti gli artisti siano marmocchi viziati ... hai avuto tutto, e io non ho niente. Io voglio avere le cose che voglio, ma non esagerare e dare le cose per scontate. Non potrò mai dare le cose per scontate.

SOUL: Mike, quando pensi di uscire di casa?

MICHAEL: Un sacco di gente mi ha fatto questa domanda, faccio cose per forza e un sacco di cose in base a come mi sento, e non penso che sia il momento. Se mi fossi trasferito , sarei morto di solitudine. Sono abituato ai bambini, che adoro, sono abituato alla famiglia, che adoro - gente intorno a me tutto il tempo. Io probabilmente piangerei tutti i giorni, se mi trasferissi. Davvero.

Ma, l'indipendenza è un bene un sacco di volte. Si può fare un giro da soli ... arrivare a pensare ... l'evasione. E penso che un sacco di persone abbiano bisogno di questo, ma non potrei farlo io. Non adesso, soprattutto.

SOUL: Perché non adesso soprattutto?

MICHAEL: Perché ... ci sono un sacco di cose che sto facendo qui con la famiglia, un sacco di pianificazione ... e sento che forse se mi fossi trasferito, mi sarei sentito sempre più isolato.

SOUL: Beh, questo non ha fermato Marlon e Jackie ...

MICHAEL: Ma vedi, loro non hanno un sacco di pressioni e l'attenzione che io ho da altre persone ... il mondo. Un sacco di persone vengono da me e vogliono che lasci il gruppo - la famiglia.

SOUL: Tu credi se fossi lontano dall'influenza materna, ci sarebbero più possibilità per loro di ottenere quello che vogliono?

MICHAEL: Guarda, un sacco di gente mi ha chiesto di fare questa cosa - di lasciare - ma lascio che Dio mi dica se è il momento. Sarà lui a dirmi se devo o no.

SOUL: Stiamo parlando di lasciare la casa o il gruppo?

MICHAEL: Il gruppo e la casa. Potremmo stare insieme per sempre, o ci potrà essere un momento in cui sentirò ciò che è giusto per me e andare.

SOUL: Michael, che cosa si prova a essere un uomo così virtuoso, al raggiungimento della maggiore età in una società così amorale?

MICHAEL: E 'facile essere così tante persone in questo business. E 'facile essere toccato e cambiato e corrotto e connivente. Credo solo nel mio io interiore ed è così che sono - la stessa persona che ero quando ero piccolo, ma in crescita. Sono grato per la crescita in tanti modi.

SOUL: Ma che significa il raggiungimento della maggiore età, diventare un uomo, il tuo 21 ° compleanno?

MICHAEL: A dire la verità, per me, l'essere un uomo non ha a che fare con l' età. Essere un uomo, lo so - non voglio dire "penso" - è mentale. Ci sono uomini di cinque anni, uomini di otto anni, bambini di 30 anni . Non so qual è il punto di virilità.

Un sacco di gente dice vecchie cose banali - "Responsabilità, maschilismo, essere 'il capo" - e tutta quella roba. Sento davvero che essere uomini è fare 'esattamente quello che si vuole fare in questa vita e farlo con successo, e conquistare un obiettivo. Questa è la cosa essenziale nella vita, credo, fare quello che vuoi fare. E se è grande, condividerlo. Per me, Walt Disney è un vero uomo. Charlie Chaplin, un vero uomo. Fred Astaire, un vero uomo. Bill Robinson, un vero uomo, perché non solo hanno conquistato obiettivi, ma guardate quanta gioia hanno dato ad altre persone, quanti hanno influenzato. Le persone guardavano a loro. Hanno tracciato i percorsi.

SOUL: Sei già un uomo ?

MICHAEL: Per certi versi, sì. Un sacco di gente veniva da me quando avevo 13 anni ... dicevano, "Tu non lo sai." Quando è uscito "ABC" , per esempio, le madri mi dicevano che la prima cosa che i loro figli avevano imparato a dire è "abc" dal nostro disco. Questa è l'influenza ... Mettere qualcosa nella mente dei bambini.

Abbiamo influenzato molti gruppi - potrei citarne tanti. Eravamo il primo gruppo giovane ad avere dischi di successo uno dietro l'altro. Poi sono venuti tutti questi altri gruppi, tentando di fare la stessa cosa.

SOUL: Come gli Osmonds?

MICHAEL: Sì, e questa è un'influenza. E il suono della musica e lo stile di vestire e lo stile di ... tante cose.

SOUL: Da quanto sei un uomo?

MICHAEL: Non lo so. Odio giudicare l'essere un uomo, perché non mi sento davvero fino a quando non faccio davvero quello che voglio fare - quello che sento di fare.

SOUL: Cioè?

MICHAEL: Davvero fare e vedere me stesso nel campo dell'intrattenimento come lo vedo io - fare davvero i film come voglio farli, la coreografia, entrare nella regia e studiare davvero.

SOUL: Quindi ci sono obiettivi che ancora non sono stati raggiunti?

MICHAEL: Oh sì, non posso fermarmi.

Traduzione a cura di Betelgeuse per il Michael Jackson's Gold World. In caso di ripubblicazione citare la fonte riportando l'url diretto a questo post.( per ottenere l'url diretto clicca sulla data.)

Edited by ArcoIris - 2/4/2018, 05:27

Group
    Dangerous

Status
    Anonymous

Michael in Wonderland

1CYYMrj

Interview year: 1980

Michael Jackson,‘black Sinatra for the Nineties’, or just looking for an escape to heaven?

Steve Demorest gets to talk to him via Janet Jackson, the 13-yers-old sister.

The voice wafting in from the Coast was as feather-soft as a child’s. It was Michael Jackson, calling with the ground-rules for our interview.

CBS International had already cautioned me against asking questions comparing the Jacksons to similar family entertainment empires with lots of white teeth and television specials… say, of the Mormon persuasion… say, from Utah.

Sure, I’d caved it and I won’t ask him what he thinks of Boudelaire or Afghanistan either. Anything else? Yeah, I was told to expect a personal call from Michael, and here he was – live in Bell Telephone mono. With a pip of a condition.
    He wanted me to ask my questions to his sister. Then she’d repeat the questions to him. He said it had to do “something I believe in”.
    Oh, You mean I drop off the questions and pick up the tape later, but I’m not there during the actual interview?
    No, he said, I could be there and he’d answer to me.
    Hmm, I thought, this round-robin twist is a new one on me. What can he possibly be afraid of?
    Sure, I said at last, whatever makes you feel comfortable.
    Weird.

Scheduling an interview with Michael Jackson is a tricky business, especially just after he’s been misquoted by a major American trade publication, Only a good deal of polite patience all round the glob had pulled this one off. They say the Jacksons have sold more records than anyone except the Beatles, but it was always Michael who had the most charisma . In 1970, when he was a precocious 11-years-old mini-superfly, strutting and spinning and singing with a sophistication beyond his years, Michael had a natural cool that girls ten years his senior couldn’t find in their own boyfriends. Plus, at an adorable 4ft 6in, he was pretty non-threatening. At the end of the Sixties Black was Beautiful, but also a bit scarey for the whites.

With Michael, however, Black could be Cute, too, perhaps the first time in a decade.

In 1979, the family’s “Destiny” album went double platinum, and they claim to turn away 10.000 people every night they pack one of America’s huge stadiums. Michael, however, is over three million in sales with “Off The Wall” all by himself. At the American Music Awards in January he tied Donna Summer for most prizes by winning Best Male Soul Vocalist, Best Soul Album, and Best Soul Single (for his self-penned “Don’t Stop Till You Get Enough”).

Now he’s up for the Best Disco Recording and Best R&B Vocal Performance awards at the Grammys. “Off The Wall” also scored well enough with the critics to draw praise from stuffy Rolling Stone and place in the ultra-discriminating. Village Voice’s year-end Top 20. Nobody, it seems, doesn’t like Michael Jackson.

Now 21, Michael has grown out of “cute” and become downright handsome. You catch him on camera coming out of an eerie smoke, flanked by green lasers, with his black spangled body-suit sparkling like modern chain-mail, and suddenly the little urchin of old is a full-grown prince. The stage presence is fabulous – each gesture snapping with crisp authority, eyes flashing under long lashes, and a radiant smile not of this world – and you understand why they’re beginning to call him the “black Sinatra for the Nineties”.

It’s natural to wonder how much of this emotional fire comes from the heart and how much is time-honed mimicry. One hears Michael is very family-oriented, very religious, and very straight. Some even say that, cossetted by his work and family, he’s as antiseptically insulated as a boy in a plastic bubble.

“I don’t buy it,” crabs one cynical fanzine editor halfway through her fourth scotch. “How could he avoid all the girls who chase after him?”

Vulgar curiosities aside, the guy gets lot of attention – and yet he seems to have preserved a great charm. Ultimately I’ll come away figuring it like this: Michael Jackson appears to have escaped the usual tortures of adolescence with a rare virginity of soul not only intact, but growing.

Our gray Cadillac dreadnought has climbed out of Hollywood, floated over the hills, and glided down into the flats od San Fernando Valley.

Not far from the bustle of Encino we pull up to an open iron gate, ring the intercom for the inhabitants to clear the Doberman out of the yard, and then swing into the driveway of a sprawling one-storey house. There’s a Rolls and couple of Mercedes scattered about, but the tan camper parked under the basketball hoops lends a family touch. This is very comfortable upper-middle-class spread all right, but certainly not the overwrought palace they could afford if they wanted.

Thirteen-year-old Janet – herself a child-star on the TV sitcom “Good Times” – answers the door like dutiful youngest child, small golden beads clacking at the ends of her thin Bo Derek braids. There are no parents about, no manager, and no bodyguard. In fact, myself and Shirley Brooks from CBS (who politely retires to the den to watch “Rockford Files” for the next two hours) are the nearest excuses for “grownups” in sight.

And heeeeere’s Michael! Quietly padding into the carpeted hall to shake hands, the charismatic Michael Jackson appears to be simply a nice, sweet, rather low-key youth. He’s wearing an orange knit pullover shirt, dark slacks and large, gleaming black shoes that give the impression of a puppy or a colt not yet fully grown into his feet.

Michael reminds me I’ve agreed to operate with his sister acting as our interpreter and the three of us adjourn into the unpretentious, bright yellow and lime living room. I’ve already decided to open with the blandest possible questions so he’ll have time to check on my humanity, but Michael doesn’t know that. He’s cracking his knuckles while I set up the tape machine, until Janet – sitting between us – chastises him mildly. He smiles and relaxes. Throughout our talk she’ll reach over to pluck at his hair or brush his arm reassuringly.

So let’s start with Quincy Jones – everybody loves his production of “Off The Wall”. Quincy remembers meeting Michael at Sammy Davis house when the boy was ten, and Michael’s first recollection of Quincy dates from backstage at a Muhammad Ali benefit, but their “real” meeting came when they worked together on “The Wiz” in 1978.

Er, I’d like to know how Michael decided that Quincy would be the best producer for his album.

“How did you decide to have Quincy?” Janet echoes.

Michael smiles. Good start.

“One day I called Quincy up to ask if he could suggest some great people who might want to do my album. It was the first time that I fully wrote and produced my songs, and I was looking for somebody who would give me that freedom , plus somebody who’s unlimited musically. Quincy calls me ‘Smelly’, and he said, ‘Well, Smelly, why don’t you let me do it?’ I said, ‘That’s a great idea!’”

Michael laughs as though he still can’t believe he’d been so ingenious.

“it sounded so phoney – like I was trying to hint to that – but I wasn’t. I didn’t even think of that. But Quincy does jazz, he does movie scores, rock’n’roll, funk, pop – he’s all colours, and that’s the kind of people I like to work with. I went over to his house just about every other day, and we just put it together.”

Michael is proud of this “all colours” approach, and rumor has it he’s considering , boycotting the Grammy Awards, despite his two nominations, to protest being slotted into the narrow Disco/R&B categories. Now he ticks of the variety of music he likes listening to: Super-tramp, folk music, classical music, old Spanish music.

“I have all kinds of tapes and albums people would probably never think were mine. I love “Some Girls”. Of course he [Jagger] got into trouble with that one thing, he said. I don’t like vulgar at all. Really, at all.”

More to Michael’s liking is the work of Ron Temperton, who quit travelling with Heatwave to write the soaring tension/release effects of “Rock With You”, “Off The Wall”, and “Burn This Disco Out”.

Did Quincy have a lot of good ideas for Michael?

“Did Quincy have good ideas for you?” Janet whispers.

“There’s a great coincidence that happened on that album. You know, the Paul McCartney song, I did, “Girlfriend”? The first time I met Paul McCartney was on the Queen Mary, and then I met again at a party he throw at Harold Lloyd’s estate here in L.A. Him and Linda came up to me and said, ‘We wrote you a song’ and they started singing, “Girlfriend, da-da-dee-dee-dee-dee.” I said, ‘Oh, I really like it, when can we get together?’ So he gave me his Scotland number and the number in London, but we never got together on the whole thing. The next I noticed it he had the song on his “London Town” album. Then one day I went to Quincy’s house and he said, ‘You know what’s great a song for you? This McCartney song called “Girlfriend”.’ I just flipped out.”

Michael giggles at the symmetry of success.

“Paul McCartney sent me a telegram not too long ago raving over how much he loved mine better than his, and now I’m going to be doing some things on his next album. We’ll write a couple of songs together as a team – that’s one of me next projects after the Jacksons album in March. If I sing, that’ll be nice, but that’s up to him because it’s his album.”

Is Michael really working day and night, like he wrote in his song? Janet passes the question along.

“I enjoy it a lot,” he nods.

“’Working Day And Night’ is very autobiographical in a lot of ways, though I did stretch the point to playing the part like I was married to this person and she’s got me moving. But it’s not work like slavery. I love it, or I couldn't have survived it this long.”

“Long” is right. Michael began entertaining locally in Gary, Indiana, when he was six years old, and after 15 years he’s probably the most durable child-star since Shirley Temple. Groomed in the spotlight, this guy grew up on magic. Performers don’t come any more “natural” than Michael Jackson.

Is most of his stage work pretty spontaneous?

“I’ll tell you the honest-to-God-truth,” he says, forgetting to wait for Janet’s turn. “I never knew what I was doing in the early days – I just did it. I never knew how I sang, I didn’t really control it, it just formed myself. I loved it a lot, though. And I loved watching other people do it.

“My dancing just comes about spontaneously, Some things I’ve done for years until people have marked them as my style, but it’s all spontaneous reactions. People have named certain dances after me, like the spin I do, but I can’t even remember how I started the spin – it just came about.

“There’s nothing where I get in a room and try to think hard, I have learned a lot by just fooling around a private though, mostly around the house messing up the floors. I think it’s great to get up in the morning and have a big mirror in your room and cut up.”

Obviously this isn’t the background of a street-fighting rebel. What’s to rebel against?

"I love the whole world of dance, because dancing is really the emotions through bodily movement. And however you feel, you just bring out that inner feeling through your mood. A lot of people don’t think about the importance of it, but there’s a whole psychological thing to just letting everything loose. Dancing is important, like laughing, to back off tension. Escapism it’s great.

“I really believe that each person has a destiny from the day he’s born, and certain people have a thing that they’re meant to do. There’s a reason why the Japanese are better at technology, and a reason why the Negro race are more into music – you go back to Africa and the tribes and the beating of the drums.

“I like to think about where things started and learn from it. I love Bill Robinson and all the early vaudeville people who really are origins of that dancing. And I adore Fred Astaire. He’s a friend of mine, and he’s said some wonderful compliments. He said, ‘I know a lot about you, young man.’ We didn’t live too far from him in Beverly Hills, and he tells me he used to see me every day riding around on my motor-bike. He told me he loves my work and I’m doing a lot of things that he wasn’t even doing when he first started.

“Just think, when he first went to the movie studios they said, ‘Can’t act, not good-looking, and can dance a little.’ They said he was ugly because he went bald in his twenties. All those movies you see are not his hair, you know, he had a transplant. But he just stayed with it, and finally he got into a project with Joan Crawford, and he tore it up.

“He wouldn’t let anything go unless it was perfect. He would do one bar of a song for a whole week, and he told me him and Ginger Rodgers would do a whole dance number for three months. Who practises like that today? Nobody. And they should. You can tell perfection by looking at it.

“The things I hate with TV and tours is you’re always rushed for time. In the future I’ll be acting and dancing in films the way it should be done, not the silly, crazy way you have to do three dance numbers in a couple of hours. On our couple of specials I would scream about that. I’d say, ‘This whole system is very ignorant! It’s wrong, totally wrong!’”

Michael Jackson screams? Well, perhaps it’s not unreasonable, given that he’s been raised as a special breed of stage creature. Let’s just say he's nice, but pretty faits for a soprano.

“I have no ego at all,” he claims. “I mean, everybody has ego, but its not in thinking I’m great and I’m better than this or that person because of what I do. I feel totally sorry for people who have that feeling. I just love what I’m doing, and I believe in training and getting better. It’s like a church type of thing when the spirit gets inside somebody and they lose self-control. I’m totally a different person when I’m dancing.”

In fact, that “totally different person” causes the “real” Michael Jackson to feel so vulnerable that he often wants to make himself invisible in civilian life. Michael doesn’t get stage fright he gets offstage-fright.

“A lot of people can’t deal with the fact that you’re another person onstage. They just don’t understand. They’ll come up to me and say, ‘Sing us a couple of bars of “Rock With You”’ or ‘Do that spin that you do on TV’. And I’m really embarrassed. If two people come up to me on the street then – oooh – it’s hard. It’s so hard.

“I don’t really go out to clubs and discos at all. Sometimes you think you’re going to sneak into a movie and nobody’s going to see you, but as soon as you hit the door the pen and paper and pictures are there.”

There’s one place that he does go, though. The only place he enjoys is Studio 54 in New York.

“It’s so theatrical and dramatic," he says. “People come there as characters, and it’s like going to a play. I think that’s the psychological reason for the whole disco craze: you get to be the dream you want to be. You make yourself up to be this thing and just go crazy with the lights and the music, and you’re in another world. It’s very escapist.

“But I don’t get involved. I just get up high in the balcony and look down on all the craziness and get all kinds of ideas. It’s important to know how to be and feel a good audience, to know what an audience wants.

“The people who see there don’t act crazy or anything – they’ll just say ‘Hi’ or nod at you and keep going – and that’s why a lot of entertainers go there. It’s the place where they can be like everybody else. Everybody’s on the same level.”

“The only time I’ve danced somewhere like that is when Liza Minnelli will come in and she’ll just pull me on the floor. She’s so aggressive. We’ll start dancing, and once you get started – ohh! – it’s so hard to get off the floor. Once I get going it’s hard to cool down. It’s like you’re addicted.”

A parrot in another room is squawking “Michael!....Michael!” Janet is a spectator now, sitting quietly. I wonder if most of Michael’s friends are entertainers, and he agrees.

“Most of the time you understand easier. Tatum [O’Neal] will call me up and say, ’Hey, you wanna go somewhere?’. Or when Stevie [Wonder] wants to go out he’ll call me up. When the big King Tut exhibit was around he wanted to go. Of course, he can’t see, but he feels, and he loves going to museums.

“Very seldom do I go out, but every once in a while I will if someone wants to call me out. I love to roller-skate, but I don’t do any crazy sports. I didn’t drive for a long time. I do now, but I’m still thinking about giving that up. I don’t drive on the freeway at all, I stay in a certain area and I try to be extra careful. It’s like an haemophiliac who can’ afford to be scratched in any way.”

Apparently, then, this guy is not swinging like Errol Flynn, despite the untrue rumours he’ll voluntarily relate to you. Somehow, juicy items seem laughably out of character for this mild-mannered host in his family’s living room.

“I still get so many letters asking if I had a sex-change, or if I go with guys, or thinking I’m married to Clifton Davis.”

Janet cuts in: “This one girl got so upset when her friend told her that rumour that she jumped out of the window. I think she died.”

Some of Michael’s fans have such creative imaginations they’ve even made him neuter – as in Do You Really Have To Go To The Bathroom?

Not that the issue appears to concern Michael much. When he speaks of having a family – “in the far future” – he speaks of adopting children, not procreating them. (“I don’t have to bring my own into the world.”)

“Who says at a certain age you have to get married? Who says at 18 you’ve to leave the house? Who says at 16 you have to drive? I didn’t drive until I was 20, and I still don’t want to. Quinsy doesn’t know how to drive, he doesn’t know his way around at all. That doesn’t make him dumb, that just makes him no wan t to drive.”

Michael laughs. Listen, if you had this guy’s childhood maybe you’d want to stay forever young yourself.

“One of my favourite pastimes is being with children – talking to them, playing with them, wattlin’ in the grass. They’re one of the main reasons why I do what I do. Children are more than adults. They know everything that people are trying to find out – they know so many secrets – but it’s hard for them to get it out. I can recognise that and learn from it.

“They say some things that’ll just astound you. They go through brilliant, genius stages, but when they become a certain age they lose it. So many people think certain things are child-like, but grown-ups are really nothing but children who have lost all that real magic by not noticing and digging and finding out. I believe in that deeply.

“That’s why I’ve never taken drugs or had alcohol. I’ve never been high. I’ve tasted champagne, but I don’t drink it. When people do toasts, I just pick up the glass. Because I enjoy nature too much – like her.”

He points to Janet, who smiles.
    “I know a tree feels it when the wind blows through it. It probably goes, ‘Ohhhhh, this is wonderful.’ And that’s how I feel when I’m singing some songs. It’s wonderful.

“Plus I’m crazy for birds and animals and puppies. And I love exotic things. I’ve had llamas, peacocks, a rhea, which is the second largest bird in the world, a macaw, which is the largest parrot from South America, pheasants, raccoons, chickens… everything. Now I’m gonna get a fawn. And a flamingo. I don’t think I want a cougar, but I want a chimpanzee – they’re so sweet. Oooooh, I have such a good time with the animals.”

This guy is serious, folks. Michael is bubbling now as he continues.

“I have a wonderful relationship with animals, they really understand me. When I got my llamas, I would make this certain crazy vocabulary and they would understand and they’d come running.

“I’d like to get into the whole veterinarian thing and learn the behavior of animals. Dogs may see in black and white. Dogs might even see the wind. And what about the king cobra – what makes him come up when they play that pipe?”

Michael Jackson’s angelic smile is spreading out like a sunset, like he’s seeing visions.
    “And the whales. From the top of my brother’s beach-house we look out and see them spouting.”

Michael runs his hand across his eyebrows, shielding the rapture in his face.
    “The whole godly instinct thing is just so incredible. I can never get over it."
    His voice wavers and his hand squeezes his brow tighter. Omigod... I think this lamb is so overcome he's really on the verge of weeping. What can I say now?

Silence settles in the room. Janet reaches over and gently pats her older brother’s arm.
    Finally I mumble something about his album being dedicated to the Year Of The Child, and the soft-hearted superstar gathers himself back to earth.

“I get frightened and hurt easily, and the news frightens me very much, even if I’m not involved somebody else’s problem. At Big Bear Lake I heard on the news that little boy had his Christmas a month ahead of time, and Santa Claus was at his house, because his only had a week to live. Sure enough, in that week he died – and that just got me so bad.

“I meet children like that all the time when we visit the hospitals. The doctors and nurses ask them, ‘You can go anywhere you want or do or see anything – what do you want?’ And these kids request to meet the Jacksons. They say, “You’ve got to meet this girl, she’s going to die tomorrow and ever since she’s been out of surgery she’s been calling your name.’ And, God, I just feel so wonderful to be a part of somebody’s ultimate dream. All my lifetime of work is rewarded.”

I’ve been told that Michael Jackson doesn’t jive people, that when he says something impossibly corny he’s being sincere, and I’m swallowing this particular rap hook, line, and sinker. You have to, once you begin to understand this kid’s concept of his position in the world, his sense of responsibility for the ministering of celebrity immortality.

“I tell the kids ‘I’ll see you next year’ and sometimes the thought that I’ll be back next year makes them hang on. That’s happened several times. People told me this girl was about to die, but I kept running into her three years in a row – and the fourth year she died. The doctors couldn’t do anything, and for me to come in and help give her the gift of life really makes me feel good.

“Some people are chosen to do these things. These children will be drowsy, but Danny Kaye will come in and tell stories and make faces, and these kids will become so cheerful. Bill Cosby is known for his ways with children, too. Nurses and doctors are totally amazed at the power of these people.

“I get a taste of poverty, too. When I go to a country – like in the Philippines and Trinidad and in Africa – I really get out and go to the poor sections and talk to the people. I sit in their little huts, their cardboard houses, and I make myself at home. I think it’s important to know how different people feel especially in my field of endeavour.

“The head of the poor section will call all the people out and tell them who’s here to see them, and it feels good to know that they know who you are. I don’t think, I’m better than other people, I think I’m different from other people because I do different things.

“I shake all their hands, and they follow me wherever I go. Then they see me camera around my neck, and they’ll start touching it and begging me to take their picture. When we first went to Africa, we took of kind a camera that has instant pictures, and they’d never seen anything like that. They were jumping up and down and screaming.”

Evidently, then, Michael Jackson is not ignorant of the world surrounding his charmed life. He does seem, however, consciously poised to escape into the world of illusion at any moment – especially the world of movies. Perhaps this makes sense, if protecting his own joy maintains his ability to project the freshness which makes him such an attractive performer.

“The whole thing of being in front of the camera and escaping into a whole other world is just wonderful. I have no words to describe the feeling that I had out of filming ‘The Wiz’. I’ll never get over it.

“You know the front of ‘The Sound Of Music’, when Julie Andrews runs up on that mountain and she throws her arms out? Ohhh! I can eat that. That kills me, it’s so good. I feel it going all through my body. You feel like you’re there – that’s the whole wonder of motion pictures.

“I met Julie Andrews for the first time three days ago, and when she shook my hand it real hard. She said, ‘My daughter Emma has your album and we love what you’re doing so much.’ And I said, ‘You don’t know what you’ve done for me by your work.’ She’s been so influential.

“I’m going to do so much more in that whole field – musicals and heavy drama. I talked to Jane Fonda and she wants to do so many projects with me. She saw 'The Wiz' about six time, and she said there's so much more for me to do. I feel the same way.“

Michael was fortunate to have a long-time ally with him on the set of his first feature film - Diana Ross, who played the role of Dorothy to his Scarecrow.

“Every day she would stop in my room and ask me if I wanted anything. She’s a real, real mother. We met her when we auditioned for Berry Gordy at his mansion in Detroit – and it’s really a mansion. You think everything seemed big to you when you were a little kid because you were small, but we were back there on the last tour and – oooh – it’s still huge. It’s got everything – an indoor pool, a bowling alley, a golf course – and we auditioned at the poolside. All the Motown stars were there, and Diana came over and told us how much she loved us and wanted to play a big part in our career. So she introduced us to the public. Our first hit album was called ‘Diana Ross Presents The Jackson Five’.

“When we came out with ‘Destiny’, which was our first album writing all the songs and producing ourselves, she told us she’s so proud of what we’re doing. She told me: to be with Motown or not be with Motown, she’ll always be here for us when we need her.

“She checked on me today. She’s in New York and she heard I was in hospital – I don’t know what made her think so – an d I got a message that she wants me to call her. She really cares.

“’The Wizard Of Oz’ has secrets that are just too much. Or ‘Peter Pan’ – the whole ‘lost boys’ thing is just incredible. They’re not child-like at all – they’re really, really deep – you can rule your life by them. Or say ‘child-like’, because children are the most brilliant people of all, that’s why they relate to those stories so well. Fairy-tales are wonderful. What more can you ask for, outside of conquering goals and believing in your ideas?

“There’s a whole psychological reason for those cartoons about good against evil. We have ‘Superman’ and all those other people so that we can go out into life and try to be something. I’ve got most of Disney’s animated movies on videotapes, and when we watch them I just take off to another planet. Oh, I could eat it, eat it.”

Janet is quiet as a mouse as her brother talks on with the respect of one celebrity for another.

“Some people come by and say, ‘Oh, you’re watching cartoons, huh?’ Well, cartoons are marvellous! Cartoons are unlimited. And when you’re unlimited it’s the ultimate. Jiminy Cricket, Pinocchio, Mickey Mouse – these are world-known characters. Some of the greatest political figures have come to the United States to meet them. Even people from Russia will not leave the country without seeing Disneyland.”

Michael says one of his biggest dreams just came true when he was invited to sing “When You Wish Upon A Star” with all 27 Disney characters surrounding him. It’s for a two-hour special, hosted by Danny Kaye, celebrating Disney’s 25th Anniversary.

“I eat that up,” he exults. “In Disneyland you forget about the outside world. When you walk down Main Street, you see the castle and then you see the times of the Twenties... and how do those two times fit? But they feel so good together. You walk down that street and you feel ‘This is it. I’m gonna have a good time.’ This is escapism.”

But, uh, Michael… don’t you think it’s possible to appreciate escapism a little too much?

“No, I don’t. There’s a reason why God made the sunset red or purple or green. It’s beautiful to look at – it’s a minute of joy. There’s a reason why we see rainbows after a rain, or a forest where the deer come out. That’s wonder, that’s escapism – it touches your heart, and there’s no danger in that.

“Escapism and wonder is influence. It makes you feel good, and that allows you to do things. You just keep on moving ahead, and you say, ‘God, is this wonderful do I appreciate it.’

“Like when I’m 40,000 feet in the air in a jumbo jet at night and it’s dawn. Everybody on the plane is asleep, and here I am in the cockpit with the pilots because they let me come up there with them and – ooooh, it’s just incredible seeing a sunrise and being up there with it.

“I’ve seen illusions in the air that man has never seen. We went over the North Pole and it was total dark, and you saw these big icebergs that were glowing in the night. And then I looked far out into the sky and saw purple, green, and blue crystals sparkling and turning in the air. I said, ‘What is that?’, and the pilot said he didn’t know, they’d only seen that once before. I said, ‘My God, I’ll never forget this.’”

He pauses to hold onto the memory just a moment longer.
    “Once, when we were coming back from Africa in total darkness, we were way up, and there were so many shooting stars I thought they were going to hit the plane – it was incredible. When you’re up there where there’s no smog, you almost don’t see any darkness. You almost don’t see any black for all the stars. You see every star in the sky.

“Pilots tell me, “I wish there were no such thing as having to go down and re-load with fuel. I wish I could stay up here forever. Forever. This is the safest place in the world for me.’ And I totally understand what they mean. When I’m into 40,000 people, it’s so easy. Nothing can harm me when I’m on stage – nothing. That’s really me. That’s what I’m here to do.”

That’s it, all right. Raised on wonder and nurtured in the dreams of millions of fans, this guy is escaping all the way to heaven and he doesn’t want to come down. Michael Jackson is way up there with the angels, up where you almost don’t see any darkness for all the stars.

“I’m totally at home onstage,” he’s beaming softly. “That’s where I live… that’s where I was born…
    “That’s where I’m safe.”

Source : www.the-michael-jackson-archives.com/mmake.html

Edited by ArcoIris - 2/4/2018, 05:28

Group
    Dangerous

Status
    Anonymous

Michael a Wonderland

1CYYMrj

Michael Jackson, 'Il Sinatra nero dei Novanta', o piuttosto in cerca di una via di fuga verso il cielo?

Steve Demorest arriva a parlare con lui attraverso Janet Jackson, la sorella 13enne.

La voce che si alzava dalla costa era una piuma morbida come un bambino. Era Michael Jackson, che chiamava con le regole di base per la nostra intervista.

CBS International mi aveva già messo in guardia su domande che comparavano i Jackson con simili imperi dell'intrattenimento per famiglie con un sacco di denti bianchi e speciali televisivi ... diciamo, le lusinghe Mormoni ... dallo Utah.

Certo, ho capitolato e io non gli chiederò cosa pensa di Boudelaire o dell'Afghanistan . Qualcos'altro? Sì, mi è stato detto di aspettarmi una chiamata personale di Michael, e fu così - Bell Telephone . Con una condizione.
    Voleva che facessi le mie domande a sua sorella. Poi lei avrebbe ripetuto le domande a lui. Lui ha detto che doveva fare "qualcosa in cui credeva".
    Oh, vuoi dire che lascio lì le domande e recupero il nastro più tardi, ma non sono lì durante l'intervista?
    No, ha detto, avrei potuto essere lì e mi avrebbe risposto.
    Hmm, ho pensato, questa triangolazione è nuova per me. Di cosa dovrebbe avere paura?
    Certo, dissi alla fine, qualunque cosa se ti fa stare tranquillo.
    Strano.

Pianificare un' intervista con Michael Jackson è una questione spinosa, soprattutto dopo che è stato citato erroneamente da un'importante pubblicazione commerciale americana. Solo una buona dose di pazienza con tutto il globo ci sarebbe riuscita. Dicono che i Jackson hanno venduto più dischi di chiunque, tranne i Beatles, ma è stato sempre Michael che ha avuto più carisma. Nel 1970, quando era un precoce 11enne, impettito e danzante e cantava con una raffinatezza oltre i suoi anni, Michael aveva un carisma naturale che le ragazze di dieci anni più vecchie, non riuscivano a trovare nei loro fidanzati. Inoltre, la sua adorabile altezza, non era minacciosa. Alla fine degli anni Sessanta Nero era Bello, ma metteva anche un po' paura ai bianchi.

Con Michael, però, nero poteva essere anche carino, forse per la prima volta in un decennio.

Nel 1979, l'album "Destiny" della famiglia è stato doppio platino, il che vuol dire come se 10.000 persone ogni sera si fossero impacchettate in uno dei grandi stadi d'America. Michael, però, è oltre i tre milioni di vendite con "Off The Wall" da solo. Agli American Music Awards in gennaio ha condiviso con Donna Summer la maggior parte i premi vincendo Best Male Vocalist Soul, Soul Best Album, e Best Soul Single (per la sua "Do not Stop Till You Get Enough)
    Ora è in lizza per i premi per Best Disco Recording e Best R & B Vocal Performance ai Grammy. "Off The Wall" è andato anche abbastanza bene con i critici da avere elogi dal serioso Rolling Stone e si è piazzato negli ultra-critici. Village Voice dell'anno Top 20. A nessuno, a quanto pare, non piace Michael Jackson.

Ora a 21 anni, Michael è cresciuto da "carino" ed è diventato decisamente bello. Lo vedete su una macchina fotografica che esce da un fumo inquietante, con un laser verde, con il suo abito nero seconda pelle scintillante come una moderna maglia metallica, e improvvisamente il piccolo monello di una volta è un principe adulto. La presenza scenica è favolosa - ogni gesto scatta con autorità , gli occhi lampeggiano sotto le lunghe ciglia, e un sorriso radioso non di questo mondo - e si capisce il motivo per cui stanno iniziando a chiamarlo il "Sinatra nero degli anni Novanta".

E 'naturale chiedersi quanto di questo fuoco emotivo viene dal cuore e quanto è mimetismo affinato dal tempo . Si sente che Michael è molto orientato alla famiglia, molto religioso, e molto semplice. Alcuni addirittura dicono che, viziato dal suo lavoro e dalla famiglia, si è antisetticamente isolato come un ragazzo in una bolla di plastica.

"Io non lo compro," dice un redattore di una cinica rivista popolare a metà del suo quarto scotch. "Come può evitare che tutte le ragazze lo inseguano?"

Volgare curiosità a parte, il ragazzo riceve molta attenzione - e tuttavia sembra aver conservato un grande fascino. In definitiva mi sembra che : Michael Jackson sembra essere sfuggito alle solite torture dell'adolescenza con una rara verginità dell'anima non solo intatta, ma in crescita.

La nostra grigia Cadillac corazzata è salita da Hollywood, ha galleggiato sulle colline, ed scivolata giù negli appartamenti di San Fernando Valley.

Non lontano dal trambusto di Encino giungiamo ad un cancello di ferro aperto, suoniamo il citofono per togliere il Doberman dal cortile, e poi dondoliamo nel vialetto di una gigantesca casa a un piano. Ci sono una Rolls e un paio di Mercedes sparse, ma il camper marrone chiaro parcheggiato sotto i canestri dà un tocco di famiglia. E' una proprietà molto confortevole della classe medio-alta , ma non è certamente il palazzo esagerato che avrebbero potuto permettersi, se avessero voluto.

La tredicenne Janet - lei stessa un'attrice nella sitcom televisiva "Good Times" - risponde alla porta come una diligente figlia più piccolo, piccole perle dorate che ticchettano alle estremità delle sue sottili trecce stile Bo Derek. Non ci sono i genitori, nessun manager, e nessuna guardia del corpo. In realtà, io e Shirley Brooks della CBS (che si ritira educatamente nella tana di guardare "Rockford Files" per le prossime due ore) siamo il concetto più simile per "adulti" in vista.

Ed eeeeeeecco Michael! Tranquillamente nel'ingresso rivestito di tappeti stringe la mano, il carismatico Michael Jackson sembra essere semplicemente un bel, dolce, giovane di basso profilo. Indossa un pullover arancione, pantaloni scuri e
    larghi, lucide scarpe nere che danno l'impressione di un cucciolo o un puledro non ancora completamente sviluppato.

Michael mi ricorda che ho accettato di interagire con la sorella in qualità di interprete e noi tre ci accomodiamo nel luminoso soggiorno senza pretese, giallo e verde chiaro. Ho già deciso di aprire con le domande più innocue possibili in modo che avrà il tempo di saggiare la mia mitezza, ma Michael non lo sa. Scrocchia le nocche mentre preparo il registratore finché Janet - seduta tra noi - lo rimprovera dolcemente. Lui sorride e si rilassa. Durante la nostra chiacchierata lei continua a ravviargli i capelli o a sfiorargli il braccio rassicurante.

Quindi cominciamo con Quincy Jones - tutti amano la sua produzione di "Off The Wall". Quincy ricorda di aver incontrato Michael a casa di Sammy Davis quando il ragazzo aveva dieci anni, e il primo ricordo di Michael di Quincy risale al backstage di un sussidio per Muhammad Ali, ma il loro incontro "reale" è arrivato quando hanno lavorato insieme in "The Wiz" nel 1978.

Ehm, mi piacerebbe sapere come Michael ha deciso che Quincy sarebbe il miglior produttore per il suo album.

"Come hai deciso di avere Quincy?" Janet fa eco.

Michael sorride. Buon inizio.

"Un giorno ho chiamato Quincy per chiedere se poteva suggerirmi qualcuno in gamba che desiderasse fare il mio album. Era la prima volta che ho completamente scritto e prodotto le mie canzoni, e stavo cercando qualcuno che mi avrebbe dato quella libertà, più qualcuno che è illimitato musicalmente. Quincy mi chiama Smelly ( 'puzzolente' ), e mi ha detto, 'Beh, Smelly, perché non lasci fare a me?' Ho detto: 'Questa è una grande idea!' "

Michael ride come se ancora non riuscisse a credere di essere stato così geniale.

"Suonava così falso - come se stessi cercando di suggerirlo - ma non era così. Non ci ho nemmeno pensato. Ma Quincy fa il jazz, lo fa partiture di film, rock'n'roll, funk, pop - lui è tutti i colori, e questo è il tipo di persone con cui mi piace lavorare. Andavo a casa sua quasi ogni giorno, e l'abbiamo messo insieme. "

Michael è orgogliosa di questo approccio di "tutti i colori", e si dice che sta considerando di boicottare i Grammy Awards, nonostante le sue due candidature, per protestare di essere sistemato solo nelle categorie Disco / R & B . Ora elenca le varietà di musica che gli piace ascoltare: Super-tramp, musica folk, musica classica, musica antica spagnola.

"Ho tutti i tipi di nastri e album che la gente probabilmente non ha mai pensato che potessi avere. Amo "Some Girls". Certo che [Jagger] si è messo nei guai con quella cosa, ha detto. Non mi piace per niente la volgarità. Davvero, per nientei. "

Più per i gusti di Michael è l'opera di Ron Temperton, che ha smesso di viaggiare con gli Heatwave per scrivere i forti effetti di "Rock With You", "Off The Wall", e "Burn This Disco Out".

Quincy ha avuto un sacco di buone idee per Michael?

"Quincy ha avuto buone idee per te ?" sussurra Janet sussurra.

"C'è una grande coincidenza che è successa in quell'album. Sai, la canzone di Paul McCartney, "Girlfriend"? La prima volta che ho incontrato Paul McCartney era sulla Queen Mary, e poi l'ho incontrato di nuovo a una festa nella tenuta di Harold Lloyd qui a Los Angeles. Lui e Linda sono venuti da me e mi dissero: 'Ti abbiamo scritto una canzone' e hanno cominciato a cantare, "Girlfriend, da-da-dee-dee-dee-dee." Ho detto, 'Oh, mi piace molto, quando possiamo stare insieme?' Allora mi ha dato il suo numero della Scozia e il numero di Londra, ma non siamo stati mai insieme su tutta la faccenda. Dopo ho notato che aveva la canzone sul suo album "London Town". Poi un giorno sono andato a casa di Quincy e mi ha detto, 'Sai qual è una grande canzone per te? Questa canzone McCartney "Girlfriend". 'Sono andato fuori di testa. "

Michael ridacchia per la simmetria del successo.

"Paul McCartney mi ha mandato un telegramma non troppo tempo fa delirante su quanto ama la mia più della sua, e ora sto preparando alcune cose per il suo prossimo album. Scriviamo un paio di canzoni insieme come una squadra - uno dei miei prossimi progetti dopo l'album dei Jacksons a marzo. Se io canto, sarà bello, ma dipende da lui perché è il suo album. "Michael davvero lavora giorno e notte, come ha scritto nella sua canzone? Janet passa la domanda.

"Mi piace un sacco", annuisce.

"'Working Day And Night' è molto autobiografica in un sacco di modi, anche se ho giocato come se fossi sposato a questa persona e lei mi ha commosso. Ma non è un lavoro come la schiavitù. Mi piace, o non avrei potuto sopravvivere tutto questo tempo. "

"tutto questo tempo" è giusto. Michael ha iniziato ad esibirsi a Gary, Indiana, quando aveva sei anni, e dopo 15 anni lui è probabilmente il più longevo bambino prodigio da Shirley Temple. Allevato sotto i riflettori, questo ragazzo è cresciuto magico. Non ci sono artisti più "naturali" di Michael Jackson.

La maggior parte del tuo lavoro sul palco è spontaneo?

"Ti dirò la verità", dice, dimenticando di aspettare il turno di Janet. "Non sapevo cosa stavo facendo nei primi giorni - l'ho solo fatto. Non ho mai saputo come cantavo, non l'ho controllato, ho solo abituato me stesso. Mi piaceva molto, però. E mi piaceva guardare le altre persone farlo.

"La mia danza viene quasi spontanea, alcune cose le ho fatte per anni, fino a quando le persone le hanno contrassegnate come il mio stile, ma sono tutte le reazioni spontanee. Le persone hanno chiamato certe danze da me, come gli spin , ma non riesco nemmeno a ricordare come ho iniziato lo spin - è venuto.

"Non c'è niente quando sono in una stanza e cerco di pensare duro, ho imparato molto a scherzare su un pensiero, per lo più intorno per casa rovinare i pavimenti. Penso che sia bello alzarsi la mattina e avere un grande specchio in camera e fare il pagliaccio ".

Ovviamente questo non è lo sfondo di un ribellione di strada. Cosa c'è da ribellarsi?

"Mi piace tutto il mondo della danza, perché la danza è davvero l'emozione attraverso il movimento del corpo. E quello che senti, tiri fuori quella sensazione interiore attraverso il tuo stato d'animo. Un sacco di gente non pensa alla sua importanza, ma c'è una cosa psicologica nel lasciare uscir fuori tutto. La danza è importante, come ridere, staccare la tensione. L'evasione è fantastica.

"Io credo veramente che ogni persona abbia un destino dal giorno in cui è nato, e alcune persone hanno una cosa che stanno destinati a fare. C'è un motivo per cui i giapponesi sono meglio nella tecnologia, e un motivo per cui la razza nera è migliore nella musica - si torna in Africa alle tribù e al battito dei tamburi.

"Mi piace pensare a dove le cose sono iniziate e imparare da esso. Amo Bill Robinson e tutte le persone del primo vaudeville che realmente sono le origini di quella danza. E io adoro Fred Astaire. Lui è un mio amico, e mi ha fatto alcuni meravigliosi complimenti. Ha detto: 'Io so molto su di te, ragazzo.' Noi non viviamo troppo lontano da lui a Beverly Hills, e lui mi dice che mi vedeva tutti i giorni girare sulla mia moto. Mi ha detto che ama il mio lavoro e sto facendo un sacco di cose che lui non sapeva fare quando ha iniziato.

"Basti pensare, quando per la prima volta andò negli studi cinematografici e gli dissero , 'Non può funzionare, non è bello, e balla solo un po'. Dicevano che era brutto perché è diventato calvo a vent 'anni. Tutti quei film che vedete non sono i suoi capelli, sapete, ha avuto un trapianto. Ma lui rimase saldo, e alla fine ebbe un progetto con Joan Crawford, e cominciò.

"Lui non faceva nulla a meno che non fosse perfetto. Poteva ripetere una canzone per una settimana intera, e mi ha detto che lui e Ginger Rodgers hanno fatto un numero di danza intero per tre mesi. Chi lavora così oggi? Nessuno. E dovrebbero. Si può vedere la perfezione, guardandolo.

"Le cose che odio della TV e tour è che sei sempre rincorso dal tempo. In futuro reciterò e ballerò nei film come si dovrebbe fare , non nello stupido, pazzesco modo di fare tre numeri di danza in un paio d'ore. Sul nostro paio di speciali vorrei urlare a tale proposito. Vorrei dire, 'L'intero sistema è molto ignorante! È sbagliato, tutto sbagliato! '"

Michael Jackson urla? Beh, forse non è irragionevole, dato che lui è stato cresciuto come una razza speciale di creatura da palcoscenico. Diciamo solo che lui è bello, ma piuttosto per un soprano.

"Non ho per niente un ego ", ha afferma. "Voglio dire, ognuno ha ego, ma non nel pensiero che io sono grande e io sono meglio di questa o quella persona, per quello che faccio. Mi sento totalmente dispiaciuto per le persone che hanno questa sensazione. Adoro quello che faccio, e credo nella formazione e nel fare sempre meglio. E 'come un tipo di chiesa quando lo spirito entra dentro qualcuno e perdono l'autocontrollo. Sono completamente una persona diversa quando sto ballando. "

In effetti, quella "persona totalmente diversa" fa sì che il "vero" Michael Jackson si senta così vulnerabile che spesso vuol rendersi invisibile nella vita normale. Michael non ha paura del palcoscenico come del fuori palco.

"Un sacco di gente non considera che tu sei un'altra persona sul palco. Loro non capiscono. Arrivano da me e mi dicono: Cantaci un paio di strofe di "Rock With You"' o 'fai quel giro che fai in TV'. E sono davvero imbarazzato. Se due persone mi fermano per la strada poi - oooh - è difficile. E 'così difficile.

"Non vado mai nei club e in discoteca . A volte pensi di sgattaiolare a vedere un film e che nessuno ti veda, ma non appena varchi la porta ecco penna carta e foto. "

C'è solo un luogo dove va, però. L'unico posto oche gli piace è lo Studio 54 di New York.

.. "E 'così teatrale e drammatico", dice "Ci vanno attori, ed è come andare a girare. Penso che è il motivo psicologico per tutta la mania della discoteca: sei il sogno che vuoi. Mettici questo e impazzisci con le luci e la musica, e sei in un altro mondo. E 'molto di evasione.

«Ma io non sono coinvolto. Sto sulla balconata e guardo dall'alto tutte le follie e tutte le idee. E 'importante sapere com'è e come si sente un buon pubblico, sapere che cosa il pubblico vuole.

"Le persone che vedo lì non si comportano da pazzi o cose così - dicono solo 'Ciao' o un cenno e vanno avanti - e questo è il motivo per cui un sacco di artisti ci vanno . E 'il luogo dove possono essere come tutti gli altri. Tutti sono sullo stesso piano. "

"L'unica volta che ho ballato in un posto del genere è quando Liza Minnelli è arrivata e mi ha tirato sulla pista. Lei è così aggressiva. Abbiamo cominciato a ballare e , - ohh! - È così difficile uscire dalla pista. Una volta che comincio è difficile smettere. E 'come se fossi dipendente. "

Un pappagallo in un'altra stanza starnazza : "Michael! .... Michael!" Janet è una spettatrice ora, seduta tranquillamente. Mi chiedo se la maggior parte degli amici di Michael sono artisti, e lui è d'accordo.

"La maggior parte delle volte lo comprendi facilmente. Tatum [O'Neal] mi chiama e diee, 'Hey, vuoi andare da qualche parte?'. O quando Stevie [Wonder] vuole uscire mi chiama. Quando c'è stata la grande mostra di King Tut lui voleva andarci. Naturalmente, non può vedere, ma lui sente, e ama andare ai musei.

"Esco molto di rado , ma ogni tanto lo faccio, se qualcuno mi chiama. Amo pattinare, ma non faccio nessun sport pazzo. Non ho guidato per un lungo periodo di tempo. Ora lo faccio, ma sto pensando di smettere. Io non guido mai in autostrada ,vivo in una certa zona e cerco di essere molto prudente. E 'come un emofiliaco che non puo' permettersi di essere graffiato in alcun modo. "

A quanto pare, quindi, questo ragazzo non è come Errol Flynn, nonostante le voci false che lui riferisce volontariamente . In qualche modo, gli elementi succosi sembrano ridicolmente fuori carattere per questo mite ospite nel soggiorno di famiglia.

"Ho ancora tante lettere che chiedono se ho avuto un cambiamento di sesso, o se vado con i ragazzi, o pensano che sia sposato con Clifton Davis."

Janet interviene: "Questa ragazza è rimasta così sconvolta quando la sua amica le ha riferito la voce che si è buttata dalla finestra. Penso che sia morta. "

Alcuni dei fan di Michael hanno un'immaginazione così creativa che lo pensano neutro - come in Do You Really Have To Go To The Bathroom ?

Non che il problema sembri riguardare molto Michael. Quando parla di avere una famiglia - "in un lontano futuro" - parla di adozione di bambini, non di procrearli. ("Io non devo portare il mio essere nel mondo.")

"Chi dice che a una certa età bisogna sposarsi? Chi dice che a 18 anni devi uscire di casa? Chi dice che a 16 anni si deve guidare? Io non ho guidato finché non ho avuto 20 anni, e ancora non voglio farlo. Quincy non sa guidare, non sa come farlo per niente . Questo non lo rende stupido, è solo uno che non vuole guidare. "

Michael ride. Ascolta, se tu avessi avuto l'infanzia di questo ragazzo forse avresti voglia di rimanere per sempre giovane .

"Uno dei miei passatempi preferiti è stare con i bambini - parlare con loro, giocare con loro, giocare nell'erba. Sono uno dei motivi principali per cui faccio quello che faccio. I bambini sono più importanti degli adulti. Sanno tutto ciò che le persone cercano di scoprire - conoscono tanti segreti - ma è difficile per loro tirarli fuori. Posso riconoscere questo e imparare da esso.

"Dicono delle cose che ti stupiscono. Passano attraverso brillanti stadi genio, ma quando arrivano a una certa età li perdono. Così molte persone pensano che certe cose siano da bambini, ma gli adulti non sono nulla, ma bambini che hanno perso tutta la vera magia non notando e scavando e scoprendo. Io credo in questo profondamente.

"Ecco perché non ho mai fatto uso di droghe o di alcol . Non sono mai stato sbronzo. Ho assaggiato lo champagne, ma non lo bevo. Quando le persone fanno i brindisi, io sollevo appena il bicchiere. Perché mi piace troppo la natura -. Come la sua "

Indica Janet, che sorride.
    "So che un albero si sente così quando il vento soffia attraverso di lui. Probabilmente pensa, 'Ohhhhh, questo è meraviglioso.' Ed è così che mi sento quando canto. E 'meraviglioso.

"Inoltre io sono pazzo per gli uccelli e gli animali e i cuccioli. E amo le cose esotiche. Ho avuto lama, pavoni, un nandù, che è il secondo più grande uccello del mondo, un ara, che è il più grande pappagallo del Sud America, fagiani, procioni, galline ... tutto. Ora avrò un cerbiatto. E un fenicottero. Non credo di volere un puma, ma voglio uno scimpanzé - sono così dolci. Oooooh, mi diverto con gli animali ".

Questo ragazzo è serio, gente. Michael è spumeggiante ora mentre continua.

"Ho un bellissimo rapporto con gli animali, loro davvero mi capiscono. Quando ho preso il lama, avrei voluto fare un certo vocabolario pazzo e loro avrebbero capito e sarebbero venuti di corsa.

"Mi piacerebbe entrare nel mondo veterinario veterinario e imparare il comportamento degli animali. I cani possono vedere in bianco e nero. I cani possono anche vedere il vento. E che dire del cobra reale - ciò che lo fa alzare quando suonano quel piffero "?

Il sorriso angelico di Michael Jackson si sta diffondendo come un tramonto, come se stesse vedendo visioni.
    "E le balene. Dalla cima della casa di mio fratello sulla spiaggia guardiamo fuori e le vediamo che schizzano ".

Michael passa la mano sulle sopracciglia, nascondendo l'estasi del viso.
    "L'istinto divino è così incredibile. Non riesco mai a comprenderlo. "
    La sua voce vacilla e la sua mano stringe la fronte più forte . OMIGOD ... Penso che questo agnello è così sopraffatto lui è davvero sul punto di piangere. Cosa posso dire ora?

Il silenzio scende nella stanza. Janet si avvicina e delicatamente accarezza il braccio del suo fratello maggiore.
    Infine borbotto qualcosa del suo album dedicato all' anno del bambino, e la superstar dal cuore tenero torna di nuovo sulla terra.

"Ho paura e soffro facilmente, e le notizie mi spaventano molto, anche se io non sono coinvolto nei problemi di altri. A Big Bear Lake ho sentito la notizia di un bambino che aveva festeggiato il iNatale un mese prima del tempo, e Babbo Natale era a casa sua, perché aveva solo una settimana da vivere. Ebbene, in quella settimana è morto - e mi ha fatto così male.

"Incontro i bambini come lui tutto il tempo quando visitiamo gli ospedali. I medici e gli infermieri chiedono, 'Volete andare da qualche parte o fare o vedere qualcosa - cosa volete ?' E questi bambini chiedono di incontrare i Jacksons.Dicono: "Devi incontrare questa ragazza, lei sta per morire domani e da quando è stata operata ti chiama . 'E, Dio, mi sento così meraviglioso ad essere parte dell' ultimo sogno di qualcuno . Tutta la mia vita di lavoro viene premiata. "

Mi è stato detto che Michael Jackson non dice sciocchezze che quando dice una cosa incredibilmente banale è sincero, e lo vedo . Devi capire, una volta che cominci a capire il concetto di questo ragazzo della sua posizione nel mondo, il suo senso di responsabilità per il ministero della celebrità immortale.

"Io dico ai bambini 'ci vediamo l'anno prossimo' e qualche volta il pensiero che tornerò l'anno prossimo li tiene lì. Questo è accaduto più volte. La gente mi ha detto che questa ragazza stava per morire, ma sono tornato da lei per tre anni di fila - e il quarto anno è morta. I medici non hanno potuto fare nulla, e per me venirle in aiuto e darle il dono della vita davvero mi fa stare bene.

"Alcune persone sono scelte per fare queste cose. Questi bambini sono assonnati, ma Danny Kaye entra e racconta storie e fa le smorfie, e questi ragazzi diventano così allegri. Anche Bill Cosby è noto per i suoi modi con i bambini. Infermieri e medici sono stupiti dal potere di queste persone.

"Ho un assaggio di povertà, anche. Quando vado in un paese - come nelle Filippine o Trinidad e in Africa - esco e vado nelle zone più povere e parlare con la gente. Mi siedo nelle loro piccole capanne, le loro case di cartone, e sono a casa. Penso che sia importante sapere come persone diverse si sentono soprattutto nel mio campo di attività.

"Il loro capo li chiamerà e dirà loro che sono qui per vederli, ed è bello sapere che sanno chi sei. Non credo di essere sono meglio di altre persone, penso di essere diverso dagli altri perché faccio cose diverse.

"Stringo tutti i loro mani, ed essi mi seguono ovunque vada. Poi vedono la fotocamera al collo, e iniziano a toccarla e mi pregano di fare una foto. Quando siamo andati in Africa, avevamo una macchina fotografica che fa immagini istantanee, e non avevano mai visto nulla di simile. Saltavano su e giù e urlavano. "

Evidentemente, quindi, Michael Jackson non ignora il mondo che circonda la sua vita incantata. Egli sembra, tuttavia, consapevolmente pronto a fuggire nel mondo dell'illusione, in qualsiasi momento - in particolare nel mondo del cinema. Forse questo ha un senso, se proteggere la propria gioia mantiene la sua capacità di proiettare la freschezza che lo rende un artista così attraente.

"Essere di fronte alla telecamera e fuggire in un altro mondo è semplicemente meraviglioso. Non ho parole per descrivere la sensazione che ho avuto durante le riprese di 'The Wiz'. Non mi riprenderò mai.

"Conosci l'inizio di 'The Sound Of Music', quando Julie Andrews corre su quella montagna e getta le braccia? Ohhh! Potrei mangiarla. Questo mi uccide, è fantastico. Lo sento in tutto il corpo. Ti senti come se fossi lì - che è la meraviglia del cinema.

"Ho incontrato Julie Andrews per la prima volta tre giorni fa, e quando lei mi ha stretto la mano è stato forte. Ha detto: 'Mia figlia Emma ha il tuo album e ci piace così tanto quello che fai.' E io ho detto, 'Tu non sai quello che hai fatto per me con il tuo lavoro.' E 'stata così importante.

"Ho intenzione di fare molto di più in questo campo - musical e teatro impegnato. Ho parlato con Jane Fonda che vuole fare tanti progetti con me. Ha visto 'The Wiz' circa sei volte, e ha detto che posso fare molto di più. Sono d'accordo. "

Michael ha avuto la fortuna di avere un alleato di lunga data con lui sul set del suo primo lungometraggio - Diana Ross, che ha interpretato il ruolo di Dorothy al suo Spaventapasseri.

"Ogni giorno si fermava nella mia stanza e mi chiedeva se volevo qualcosa. Lei è una vera, vera madre. L'abbiamo incontrata quando abbiamo fatto il provino per Berry Gordy nella sua casa a Detroit - ed è davvero un palazzo. Pensi che tutto sembri grande per te quando sei un ragazzino perché sei piccolo, ma siamo tornati lì l'ultimo tour e - oooh - è ancora enorme. Ha tutto - una piscina coperta, un campo da bocce, un campo da golf - e noi abbiamo fatto il provino a bordo piscina. Tutte le stelle di Motown erano lì, e Diana è arrivata e ci ha detto quanto ci amava e voleva giocare un ruolo importante nella nostra carriera. Quindi lei ci ha presentato al pubblico. Il nostro primo album di successo è stato chiamato 'Diana Ross Presents The Jackson Five'.

"Quando siamo usciti con 'Destiny', che era il nostro primo album dove abbiamo scritto tutte le canzoni e che abbiamo prodotto noi stessi, ci ha detto che lei era così orgogliosa di quello che stavamo facendo. Mi ha detto: state con Motown o non state con la Motown, lei sarebbe stata sempre qui per noi se avessimo avuto bisogno di lei.

"Mi ha chiamato oggi. E 'a New York e ha sentito che ero in ospedale - non so cosa le faceva pensare così - e ho ricevuto un messaggio che lei vuole che la chiami. Lei si preoccupa davvero.

"'Il Mago Di Oz' ha tanti segreti . O 'Peter Pan' - ritta la cosa dei 'ragazzi perduti "è semplicemente incredibile. Non sono affatto bambini - sono molto, molto profondi - e puoi ispirare la tua vita con loro. O dire 'infantile', perché i bambini sono le persone più brillanti , è per questo che sono collegati a quelle storie così bene. Le fiabe sono meravigliose. Che altro si può chiedere, al di fuori di conquistare gli obiettivi e di credere nelle tue idee?

"C'è una ragione tutta psicologica per quei racconti sul bene contro il male. Abbiamo 'Superman' e tutte quelle altre persone in modo che possiamo andare fuori nella vita e cercare di essere qualcosa. Ho la maggior parte dei film di animazione della Disney su videocassette, e quando li guardiamo io sono su un altro pianeta. Oh, è il massimo. "

Janet è tranquilla come un topolino mentre suo fratello parla con il rispetto di una celebrità per un 'altra.

"Alcune persone vengono e dicono, 'Oh, stai guardando i cartoni animati, eh?' Beh, i cartoni animati sono meravigliosi! I cartoni animati sono immensi. E quando sei senza limiti è il massimo. Jiminy Cricket, Pinocchio, Topolino - questi sono personaggi di fama mondiale. Alcuni dei più grandi personaggi politici sono venuti negli Stati Uniti per incontrarli. Anche i Russi non lasciano il paese senza vedere Disneyland. "

Michael dice uno dei suoi più grandi sogni si è appena avverato quando è stato invitato a cantare "When You Wish Upon A Star" con tutti i 27 personaggi Disney che lo circondano. E 'uno speciale di due ore, condotto da Danny Kaye, che celebra il 25 ° anniversario della Disney.

"Incredibile", esulta. "A Disneyland dimentichi il mondo esterno. Quando cammini lungo Main Street, vedi il castello e poi vedi gli anni Venti ... e come stanno insieme due cose così? Ma si stanno così bene insieme. Cammini per quella strada e ti senti Ecco . Mi diverto.' Questa è evasione dalla realtà. "

Ma, uh, Michael ... non credi che sia possibile che tu apprezzi l'evasione un po 'troppo?

"No, non lo faccio. C'è un motivo per cui Dio ha fatto il tramonto rosso o viola o verde. E 'bello da vedere - è un momento di gioia. C'è un motivo per cui vediamo arcobaleni dopo una pioggia, o una foresta dove i cervi vengono fuori. E 'stupore, è evasione - che tocca il cuore, e non c'è pericolo in questo.

"Evasione e meraviglia è importante . Ti fa sentire bene, e ti permette di fare le cose. Basta continuare a andare avanti, e dici, 'Dio, è questo meraviglioso e lo apprezzo.'

"Come quando sono a 40.000 piedi in aria in un jumbo jet di notte ed è l'alba. Tutti sono addormentati, ed eccomi qui nella cabina con i piloti, perché mi hanno lasciato venire lì con loro e - ooooh, è semplicemente incredibile vedere l'alba ed essere lì .

"Ho visto le illusioni ottiche nell'aria che l'uomo non ha mai visto. Siamo andati oltre il Polo Nord ed era buio totale, e si vedevano questi grandi iceberg che brillavano nella notte. E poi ho guardato lontano nel cielo e ho visto cristalli viola, verde e blu scintillanti che giravano in aria. Ho detto: 'Che cosa è questo?', E il pilota ha detto che non sapeva, che l'avevano visto solo una volta prima. Ho detto: 'Mio Dio, non lo dimenticherò mai .' "

Si ferma per ricordare solo un minuto di più.
    "Una volta, quando stavamo tornando dall'Africa nel buio più totale, eravamo lassù in alto, e c'erano tante stelle cadenti - ho pensato che stavano per colpire l'aereo - è stato incredibile. Quando sei lassù dove non c'è smog, quasi non si vede alcuna oscurità. Quasi non si vede nero tra le stelle. Si vede ogni stella nel cielo.

"I piloti mi hanno detto," Vorrei che non si dovesse scendere e ricaricare il carburante. Vorrei poter rimanere qui per sempre. Per sempre. Questo è il posto più sicuro al mondo per me. 'E io assolutamente capisco cosa vogliono dire. Quando sono con 40.000 persone, è così facile. Nulla può farmi male quando sono sul palco - nulla. Questo sono davvero io. "

Questo è tutto, tutto a posto. Cresciuto a meraviglia e nutrito nei sogni di milioni di fan, questo ragazzo sale fino al cielo e lui non vuole scendere. Michael Jackson è lassù con gli angeli, da dove quasi non si vede alcuna tenebra tra le stelle.

"Sono completamente a casa sul palco," è dolcemente raggiante . "Qui è dove vivo ... dove sono nato ...
    "Ecco dove sono al sicuro."

Traduzione a cura di Betelgeuse per il Michael Jackson's Gold World. In caso di ripubblicazione citare la fonte riportando l'url diretto a questo post.( per ottenere l'url diretto clicca sulla data.)

Edited by ArcoIris - 18/7/2017, 03:36

"The King of Pop"

Group
    Dangerous

Status
    Anonymous
    2007 - EbonyJet Online Magazine

Michael Jackson in his own words
    by Bryan Monroe

Sitting on the sofa next to Michael Jackson, you quickly look past the enigmatic icon´s light, almost translucent skin and realize that this African-American legend is more than just skin deep. More than an entertainer, more than a singer or dancer, the grown-up father of three reveals a confident, controlled and mature man who has a lot of creativity left inside him.
    Michael Joseph Jackson rocked the music world in December 1982, when he exploded on the pop scene with Thriller, the rich, rhythmic, infectious album that introduced many Whites to a talent that most Blacks had known for decades, and shattered nearly every industry record on the planet. The historic project was yet another, albeit giant, step in a musical career that began 18 years earlier, at age 6, with his brothers in the Jackson 5.
    In his first U.S. magazine interview in a decade and on the 25th anniversary of Thriller, Jackson sat down with Ebony magazine for a rare, intimate and exclusive conversation about the creation of Thriller, the historic Motown 25 performance, being a father, the state of the music industry and the force behind his creativity.

Here is Michael Jackson, in his own words…

txbbwDOm
    Q: How did it all start?

A: Motown was preparing to do this movie called The Wiz… and Quincy Jones happened to be the man who was doing the music. Now, I had heard of Quincy before. When I was in Indiana as a child, my father used to buy jazz albums, so I knew him as a jazz musician.

So after we had made this movie—we had gotten pretty close on the film, too; he helped me understand certain words, he was really father-like—I called him after the movie, out of complete sincerity—´cause I´m a shy person, ESPECIALLY then, I used to not even look at people when they were talking to me, I´m not joking—and I said, “I´m ready to do an album. Do you think… could you recommend anybody who would be interested in producing it with me or working with me?” He paused and said, “Why don´t you let ME do it?” I said to myself, “I don´t know why I didn´t think of that.” Probably because I was thinking that he was more my father, kind of jazzy. So after he said that, I said, “WOW, that would be great.” What´s great about working with Quincy, he let´s you do your thing. He doesn´t get in the way.

So the first thing I came to him with was from Off the Wall, our first album, and Rod Temperton came in the studio, and he came with this killer—he´s this little German guy from Wurms, Germany—he comes with this … “doop, dakka dakka doop, dakka dakka dakka doop”, this whole melody and chorus, Rock With You. I go, WOW! So when I heard that, I said, “OK, I really have to work now.” So every time Rod would present something, I would present something, and we´d form a little friendly competition. I love working like that. I used to read how Walt Disney used to, if they were working on Bambi or an animated show, they´d put a deer in the middle of the floor and make the animators kind of compete with different styles of drawing. Whoever had the most stylized effect that Walt liked, he would pick that. They would kind of compete, it was like a friendly thing, but it was competition, ´cause it breeds higher effort. So whenever Rod would bring something, I would bring something, then he would bring something, then I would bring something else. We created this wonderful thing.

Q: So, after Off the Wall, in the spring of ´82, you went back in the studio to work on Thriller.

A: After Off the Wall, we had all these No. 1 hits from it — “Don´t Stop ´Til You Get Enough,” “Rock With You,” “She´s Out of My Life,” “Workin´ Day and Night”—and we were nominated for a Grammy award, but I was just not happy with how the whole thing happened because I wanted to do much more, present much more, put more of my soul and heart in it.

Q: Was it a transition point for you?

A: A COMPLETE transition. Ever since I was a little boy, I would study composition. And it was Tchaikovsky that influenced me the most. If you take an album like Nutcracker Suite, every song is a killer, every one. So I said to myself, “Why can´t there be a pop album where every…”—people used to do an album where you´d get one good song, and the rest were like B-sides. They´d call them “album songs”— and I would say to myself, “Why can´t every one be like a hit song? Why can´t every song be so great that people would want to buy it if you could release it as a single?” So I always tried to strive for that. That was my purpose for the next album. That was the whole idea. I wanted to just put any one out that we wanted. I worked hard for it.

Q: So, the creative process, were you deliberate about that, or did it just kind of happen?

A: No, I was pretty deliberate. Even though it all came together some kind of way, consciously, it was created in this universe, but once the right chemistry gets in the room, magic has to happen. It has to. It´s like putting certain elements in one hemisphere and it produces this magic in the other. It´s science. And getting in there with some of the great people, it´s just wonderful.

Quincy calls me a nickname, “Smelly.” Smelly came from —and [Steven] Spielberg calls me that, too. Back then, especially back then — I say a few swear words now—but especially then, you couldn´t get me to swear. So I would say, ´That´s a “smelly” song.´ That would mean, ´It´s so great´ that you´re engrossed in it. So he would call me ´Smelly.´

But yeah, working with Quincy was such a wonderful thing. He lets you experiment, do your thing, and he´s genius enough to stay out of the way of the music, and if there´s an element to be added, he´ll add it. And he hears these little things. Like, for instance, in “Billie Jean,” I had come up with this piece of the bass lick, and the melody, and the whole composition. But in listening, he´ll add a nice riff…

We would work on a track and then we´d meet at his house, play what we worked on, and he would say, ´Smelly, let it talk to you.´ I´d go, ´OK.´ He´d say, ´If the song needs something, it´ll tell you. Let it talk to you.´ I´ve learned to do that. The key to being a wonderful writer is not to write. You just get out of the way. Leave room for God to walk in the room. And when I write something that I know is right, I get on my knees and say thank you. Thank you, Jehovah!

6Ywtgjlm
    Q: When´s the last time you had that feeling?

A: Well, recently. I´m always writing. When you know it´s right, sometimes you feel like something´s coming, a gestation, almost like a pregnancy or something. You get emotional, and you start to feel something gestating and, magic, there it is! It´s an explosion of something that´s so beautiful, you go, WOW! There it is. That´s how it works through you. It´s a beautiful thing. It´s a universe of where you can go, with those 12 notes…

(He´s now listening to an early, writing version of Billie Jean playing on an iPhone…)

…What I do when I write is that I´ll do a raggedy, rough version just to hear the chorus, just to see how much I like the chorus. If it works for me that way when it´s raggedy, then I know it´ll work… Listen to that, that´s at home. Janet, Randy, me… Janet and I are going “Whoo, Whoo…Whoo, Whoo…” I do that, the same process with every song. It´s the melody, the melody is most important. If the melody can sell me, if I like the rough, then I´ll go to the next step. If it sounds good in my head, it´s usually good when I do it. The idea is to transcribe from what´s in your mentality onto tape.

If you take a song like “Billie Jean,” where the bass line is the prominent, dominant piece, the protagonist of the song, the main driving riff that you hear, getting the character of that riff to be just the way you want it to be, that takes a lot of time. Listen, you´re hearing four basses on there, doing four different personalities, and that´s what gives it the character. But it takes a lot of work.

Q: Another big moment was the Motown 25 performance…

A: I was at the studio editing Beat It, and for some reason I happened to be at Motown Studios doing it—I had long left the company. So they were getting ready to do something with the Motown anniversary, and Berry Gordy came by and asked me did I want to do the show, and I told him ´NO.´ I told him no. I said no because the Thriller thing, I was building and creating something I was planning to do, and he said, ´But it´s the anniversary…´ So this is what I said to him. I said, ´I will do it, but the only way I´ll do it is if you let me do one song that´s not a Motown song.´ He said, ´What is it?´ I said, ´Billie Jean´. He said, ´OK, fine.´ I said, ´You´ll really let me do “Billie Jean?” He said, ´Yeah.´

So I rehearsed and choreographed and dressed my brothers, and picked the songs, and picked the medley. And not only that, you have to work out all the camera angles.

I direct and edit everything I do. Every shot you see is my shot. Let me tell you why I have to do it that way. I have five, no, six cameras. When you´re performing—and I don´t care what kind of performance you are giving—if you don´t capture it properly, the people will never see it. It´s the most selfish medium in the world. You´re filming WHAT you want people to see, WHEN you want them to see it, HOW you want them to see it, what JUXTAPOSITION you want them to see. You´re creating the totality of the whole feeling of what´s being presented, in your angle and your shots. ´Cause I know what I want to see. I know what I want to go to the audience. I know what I want to come back. I know the emotion that I felt when I performed it, and I try to recapture that same emotion when I cut and edit and direct´.

Q: How long have you been creating all of those elements?

A: Since I was a little boy, with my brothers. My father used to say, ´Show ´em Michael, show ´em.´

Q: Did they ever get jealous of that?

A: They never showed it at the time, but it must have been hard, because I would never get spanked during rehearsals or practice. [Laughter] But afterwards was when I got in trouble. [Laughter]. It´s true, that´s when I would get it. My father would rehearse with a belt in his hand. You couldn´t mess up. My father was a genius when it comes to the way he taught us, staging, how to work an audience, anticipating what to do next, or never let the audience know if you are suffering, or if something´s going wrong. He was amazing like that.

Q: Is that where you think you got not just a lot of your business sense, but how to control the whole package?

A: Absolutely. My father, experience; but I learned a lot from my father. He had a group when he was a young person called the Falcons. They came over and they played music, all the time, so we always had music and dancing. It´s that cultural thing that Black people do. You clear out all the furniture, turn up the music…when company comes, everybody gets out in the middle of the floor, you gotta do something. I loved that.

Q: Do your kids do that now?

A: They do, but they get shy. But they do it for me, sometimes.

Q: Speaking of showmanship: MTV, they didn´t play Black folks. How hard was that for you?

A: They said they don´t play [Black artists]. It broke my heart, but at the same time it lit something. I was saying to myself, ´I have to do something where they… I just refuse to be ignored.´ So yeah, “Billie Jean,” they said, ´We won´t play it.´
    But when they played it, it set the all-time record. Then they were asking me for EVERYTHING we had. They were knocking our door down. Then Prince came, it opened the door for Prince and all the other Black artists. It was 24-hour heavy metal, just a potpourri of crazy images…
    They came to me so many times in the past and said, ´Michael, if it wasn´t for you, there would be no MTV.´ They told me that, over and over, personally. I guess they didn´t hear it at the time…but I´m sure they didn´t mean any pure malice [laughter].

t7dd19um
    Q: That really gave birth to the modern video age…

A: I used to look at MTV. My brother [Jackie], I´ll never forget, he´d say, ´Michael, you gotta see this channel. Oh, my God, it´s the best idea. They show music 24 hours a day… 24 Hours A Day!´ So I said, ´Let me see this.´ And I´m watching it, I´m seeing all this stuff going on and saying ´If only they could give this stuff some more entertainment value, more story, a little more dance, I´m sure people would love it more.´ So I said, when I do something, it´s gotta have a story—an opening, a middle and a closing—so you could follow a linear thread; there´s got to be a thread through it. So while you are watching the entertainment value of it, you´re wondering what is going to happen. So that´s when I started to experiment with Thriller, The Way You Make Me Feel and Bad and Smooth Criminal and directing and writing.

Q: What do you think about the state of music videos and music today?

A: [The industry], it´s at a crossroads. There´s a transformation going on. People are confused, what´s going to happen, how to distribute and sell music. I think the Internet kind of threw everybody for a real loop. ´Cause it´s so powerful, kids love it so much. The whole world is at their fingertips, on their lap. Anything they want to know, anyone they want to communicate with, any music, any movies… This thing, it just took everybody for a loop. Right now, all these Starbucks deals and Wal-Mart deals, direct to artist, I don´t know if that´s the answer. I think the answer is just phenomenal, great music. Just reaching the masses. I think people are still searching. There´s not a real musical revolution going on right now, either. But when it´s there, people will break a wall down to get to it. I mean, ´cause before Thriller, it was the same kind of thing. People were NOT buying music. It helped to bring everybody back into the stores. So, when it happens, it happens´.

Q: Who impresses you?

A: As far as artistry, I think Ne-Yo is doing wonderful. But he has a very Michael Jackson feel, too. But that´s what I like about him. I can tell that he´s a guy who understands writing.

Q: Do you work with these young artists?

A: Sure. I´ve always been the type where, I don´t care if it´s the mailman or the guy sweeping the floor. If it´s a great song, it´s a great song. Some of the most ingenious ideas come from everyday people, who just go, ´Why don´t you try this, or do this.´ It´ll be a wonderful idea, so you should just try it. Chris Brown is wonderful. Akon, he´s a wonderful artist.
    I always want to do music that inspires or influences another generation. You want what you create to live, be it sculpture or painting or music. Like Michelangelo, he said, “I know the creator will go, but his work survives. That is why to escape death, I attempt to bind my soul to my work.” And that´s how I feel. I give my all to my work. I want it to just live.

Q: How does it feel to know you have changed history? Do you think about that a lot?

A: Yeah, I do, I really do. I´m very proud that we opened doors, that it helped tear down a lot. Going around the world, doing tours, in stadiums, you see the influence of the music. When you just look out over the stage, as far as the naked eye could see, you see people. And it´s a wonderful feeling, but it came with a lot of pain, a lot of pain.

Q: How so?

A: When you´re on top of your game, when you´re a pioneer, people come at you. It´s there, who´s at the top, you want to get at them.
    But I feel grateful, all those record-breaking things, to the biggest albums, to those No. 1s, I still feel grateful. I´m a guy who used to sit in my living room and listen to my father play Ray Charles. My mother used to wake me up at 3 in the morning, ´Michael, he´s on TV, he´s on TV!´ I´d run to the TV and James Brown would be on TV. I said, ´That´s what I want to do.´

4h1I2eOm
    Q: Can we expect more of Michael Jackson?

A: I´m writing a lot of stuff right now. I´m in the studio, like, every day. I think, like, the rap thing that is happening now, when it first came out, I always felt that it was gonna take more of a melodic structure to make it more universal, ´cause not everybody speak English. [Laughter] And you are limited to your country. But when you can have a melody, and everybody can hum a melody, then that´s when it became France, The Middle East, everywhere! All over the world now ´cause they put that melodic, linear thread in there. You have to be able to hum it, from the farmer in Ireland to the lady who scrubs toilets in Harlem to anybody who can whistle to a child poppin´ their fingers. You have to be able to hum it.

Q: So, you´re almost 50 now. Do you think you´ll be doing this at 80?

A: The truth is, umm, no. Not the way James Brown did, or Jackie Wilson did, where they just ran it out, they killed themselves. In my opinion, I wish [Brown] could have slowed down and been more relaxed and enjoyed his hard work.

Q: Will you tour again?

A: I don´t care about long tours. But what I love about touring is that it sharpens ones craft beautifully. That´s what I love about Broadway, that´s why actors turn to Broadway, to sharpen their skills. It does do that. ´Cause it takes years to become a great entertainer. Years. You can´t just grab some guy out of obscurity and throw ´em out there and expect for this person to compete with that person. It´ll never work. And the audience knows it; they can see it. The way they gesture their hand, move their body, the way they do anything with the microphone, or the way they bow. They can see it right away.

Now Stevie Wonder, he´s a musical prophet. He´s another guy I have to credit. I used to say to myself, ´I want to write more.´ I used to watch [producers] Gamble and Huff, and Hal Davis and The Corporation write all those hits for the Jackson 5 and I really wanted to study the anatomy. What they used to do, they used to have us come in and sing after they did the track. I used to get upset ´cause I would want to see them make the track. So they would give me “ABC” after the track was done, or “I Want You Back” or “The Love You Save.” I wanted to experience it all.

So Stevie Wonder used to literally let me sit like a fly on the wall. I got to see Songs in the Key of Life get made, some of the most golden things. I would sit with Marvin Gaye and just…and these would be the people who would just come over to our house and hang out and play basketball with my brothers on the weekend. We always had these people around. So when you really can see the science, the anatomy and the structure of how it all works, it´s just so wonderful.

Q: So, you play on a world stage. How do you see the shape of the world today?

A: I´m very concerned about the plight of the international global warming phenomenon. I knew it was coming, but I wish they would have gotten people´s interest sooner. But it´s never too late. It´s been described as a runaway train; if we don´t stop it, we´ll never get it back. So we have to fix it, now. That´s what I was trying to do with “Earth Song,” “Heal the World,” “We Are the World,” writing those songs to open up people´s consciousness. I wish people would listen to every word.

Q: What do you think about the next presidential race? Hillary, Barack?

A: To tell you the truth, I don´t follow that stuff. We were raised to not…we don´t look to man to fix the problems of the world, we don´t. They can´t do it. That´s how I see it. It´s beyond us. Look, we don´t have control over the grounds, they can shake. We don´t have control over the seas, they can have tsunamis. We don´t have control over the skies, there are storms. We´re all in God´s hands. I think that man has to take that into consideration. I just wish they would do more for the babies and children, help them more. That would be great, wouldn´t it?

Q: Speaking of babies, as a father now, rewind back 25 years ago. What is the difference between that Michael and the Michael today?

A: That Michael is probably the same Michael here. I just wanted to get certain things accomplished first. But I always had this tug in the back of my head, the things I wanted to do, to raise children, have children. I´m enjoying it very much.

Q: What do you think about all the stuff that´s out there about you, all the things you read? How do you feel about that?

A: I don´t pay attention to that. In my opinion, it´s ignorance. It´s usually not based on fact. It´s based on, you know, myth. The guy who you don´t get to see. Every neighborhood has the guy who you don´t see, so you gossip about him. You see those stories about him, there´s the myth that he did this or he did that. People are crazy!

I´m just about wanting to do wonderful music.

But back to Motown 25, one of the things that touched me the most about doing that was, after I did the performance—I´ll never forget. There was Marvin Gaye in the wings, and the Temptations and Smokey Robinson and my brothers, they were hugging me and kissing me and holding me. Richard Pryor walked over to me and said [in a quiet voice], ´Now that was the greatest performance I´ve ever seen.´
    That was my reward. These were people who, when I was a little boy in Indiana, I used to listen to Marvin Gaye, The Temptations, and to have them bestow that kind of appreciation on me, I was just honored. Then the next day, Fred Astaire calls and said, ´I watched it last night, and I taped it, and I watched it again this morning. You´re a helluva mover. You put the audience on their ASS last night!´ So, later, when I saw Fred Astaire, he did this with his fingers [He makes a little moonwalk gesture with his two fingers on his outstretched palm].

I remember doing the performance so clearly, and I remembered that I was so upset with myself, ´cause it wasn´t what I wanted. I wanted it to be more. But not until I finished. It was a little child, a little Jewish child backstage with a little tuxedo on, he looked at me, and he said [in a stunned voice] ´Who taught you to move like that?´ [Laughter] And I said, ´I guess God… and rehearsal.´

Source: www.mjfancommunity.com/ebony.htm

Edited by ArcoIris - 2/4/2018, 05:31

"The King of Pop"

Group
    Dangerous

Status
    Anonymous
    2007 - Intervista Ebony Magazine

Michael Jackson secondo le proprie parole

di Bryan Monroe
    Quando vi trovate seduti su un sofa accanto a Michael Jackson, siete portati velocemente a guardare al di là del suo enigmatico color pallido, quasi traslucido. Capite presto che questa leggenda afroamericana non si riassume in sola apparenza. Più che un uomo di spettacolo, più che un cantante od un ballerino, questo padre di tre bambini si rivela essere un uomo maturo, sicuro di sé e racchiudente creatività.

Michael Joseph Jackson ha fatto tremare la terra nel dicembre 1982 quando é arrivato sulla scena pop con 'Thriller'. Quell'album ricco, ritmato e dall'energia contagiosa ha permesso ai Bianchi di scoprire un talento che i Neri conoscevano da decenni, battendo cosi quasi tutti i records esistenti su questo pianeta. Questo progetto storico era in effetti un altro passo [da giganti] in una carriera nel mondo dello spettacolo cominciata 18 anni prima con i suoi fratelli, i Jackson 5.

Nella sua prima intervista di grande ampiezza accordata ad un magazine americano da 10 anni, e per celebrare il 25° anniversario dell'album Thriller, Jackson ha posato con lo staff di Ebony per un intervista rara, intima ed esclusiva dove si parla della creazione di Thriller, dello stato attuale dell'industria del disco e della "forza" dietro la sua creatività.

Ecco Michael Jackson, secondo le sue proprie parole...

txbbwDOl

Q: Com'é cominciato tutto?

R: Motown aveva lanciato la produzione di un film, The Wiz... ed accadeva che Quincy Jones si occupava della colonna sonora originale. Avevo già sentito parlare di Quincy Jones prima. Quando abitavo ancora in Indiana, mio padre comprava degli album jazz, e nella mia infanzia, lo conoscevo come un musicista jazz.

Una volta fatto quel film - ci eravamo avvicinati non poco durante le riprese: mi aveva aiutato a capire alcune parole, era come un padre per me - l'ho chiamato, in una maniera veramente sincera - perché sono timido, e particolarmente a quell'epoca, non riuscivo nemmeno a guardare le persone in faccia quando mi parlavano, non scherzo - e gli ho detto: "Sono sul punto di registrare un album. Ti... Potresti raccomandarmi qualcuno che sia interessato da questo progetto e che volesse lavorare con me?". Ha riflettuto qualche secondo e mi ha detto: "Perché non ME?". Mi sono detto: "Mi domando perché non ci avevo pensato.". Forse perché lo vedevo più come un padre, con un lato jazzy. Dopo che mi ha fatto questa proposta, ho risposto "WOW, sarebbe geniale.". Il bello con Quincy é che ti lascia fare il vostro gioco. Non si mette mai in mezzo.

Quindi il primo progetto che gli ho presentato corrisponde a quello che si ritrova su Off The Wall, il primo album che abbiamo registrato insieme. Rod Temperton - questo ragazzino originario di Wurms in Germania - ci ha raggiunti in studio, e c'era questo macello che faceva (imita l'intro di Rock With You), con questo ritornello e questa melodia, la canzone si chiamava Rock With You. Ho fatto: WOW!. Quando ho sentito questo, mi son detto: "OK, devo veramente mettermi al lavoro adesso."
    Appena Rod presentava un nuovo titolo, lo facevo anch'io. E' diventata una competizione amichevole. Amo lavorare cosi. Avevo letto che durante la realizzazione di Bambi o di un altro progetto, Walt Disney riuniva dei disegnatori. Mettevano un cervo come modello sul suolo. Ogni artista lavorava ed alla fine facevano una vera competizione. E poco importa chi era l'autore, Walt sceglieva il disegno con più stile. Questo tipo di esercizio porta l'artista a fornire più sforzo. Quindi, quando Rod portava una canzone, gli rispondevo, etc... E' cosi che abbiamo creato questo favoloso progetto che é 'Off The Wall'.

Q: Poi, dopo Off The Wall, nella primavera 82, sei tornati in studio per lavorare su 'Thriller'.

R: Dopo l'uscita di Off The Wall, avevamo raccolto tutti quei numero 1 - Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough, Rock With You - She's Out Of My Life - Working Day And Night - ed avevamo ricevuto una nomina per un Grammy Award. Ma non ero contento della piega degli eventi perché volevo fare di più, dare di più, metterci più anima, più cuore.

Q: Era quindi un periodo di transizione per te?

R: Una transizione TOTALE. Dalla mia infanzia, studio composizione. E Tchaikovsky resta la mia maggiore influenza. Se prendete un album come SchiacciaNoci, ogni canzone é un massacro [nel senso di fantastica, N.d.T.]. Allora mi sono detto: "Perché non c'é un equivalente Pop?". Le persone avevano l'abitudine di far uscire degli album con una buona canzone, ed il resto Facce B, o canzoni "per albums". Mi sono chiesto perché un album non poteva essere costituito di pezzi che fossero tutti delle hits, in modo che le persone fossero pronti ad acquistarlo se uscissero tutti come singoli.

Ho sempre seguito questo ragionamento, senza demordere. Era il mio obiettivo per l'album seguente. Era l'idea principale. Volevo essere in grado di far uscire qualunque canzone volessimo utilizzare. Ho lavorato duro per questo.

Q: A proposito del processo creativo: pianifichi le cose o ti vengono cosi?

R: No, pianificavo alcune cose. Anche se non pochi elementi sono venuti in una o nell'altra maniera, coscientemente, il progetto era già concepito in questo universo, ed una volta che l'alchimia fa la sua entrata, allora non puo' che uscirne della magia. E' obbligato. E' come riunire alcuni elementi in una emisfera e vedere la magia prodursi nell'altro lato. E' della scienza. E ritrovarsi là dentro con persone piene di talento, é semplicemente meraviglioso.

Quincy mi ha dato un soprannome, 'Smelly'. Steven Spielberg mi chiama anche lui cosi. All'epoca, era molto difficile farmi dire delle parolacce. Ci riesco un po' meglio oggi. Allora, quando parlavo di una canzone, dicevo che era 'smelly'. Voleva dire: "E' cosi bella che sei completamente assorbito da lei". Era per questo che mi chiamava 'Smelly'.

Ma, si, lavorare con Quincy era una cosa meravigliosa. Vi lascia sperimentare, fare il vostro gioco, ed ha abbastanza genio da non prendere l'iniziativa sulla musica. Se un ingrediente deve essere aggiunto, lo aggiungerà. E sente tutti questi piccoli dettagli. Per esempio, per Billie Jean, avevo portato la linea dei bassi, la melodia e la composizione globale. Dopo averla ascoltata, ha piazzato un riff di maggiore effetto...

Lavoravamo su una canzone, e poi ci vedevamo da lui. Ascoltavamo il risultato, e diceva: "Smelly, lascia questa traccia parlarti". Rispondevo: "OK", ed aggiungeva: "Se la canzone ha bisogno di qualcosa, te lo dirà. Lasciala parlare". Ho imparato a farlo. Il trucco é che per essere un buon compositore, non bisogna comporre. Bisogna mantenere le distanze. Bisogna lasciare del posto a Dio. E quando scrivo qualcosa e sento che é una buona cosa, mi metto in ginocchio, e dico grazie. Grazie, Jehovah!

Q: Quando hai avuto questa sensazione per l'ultima volta?

R: Bé, recentemente. Scrivo costantemente. Quando sapete che é buono, a volte avete l'impressione che sta per succedere qualcosa. Come una gravidanza, un parto o qualcosa che ci assomiglia. La vostra sensibilità é al massimo, e sentite qualcosa arrivare, e, come per magia, eccolo! E' un'esplosione che produce un effetto cosi meraviglioso, che fate: WOW! E' là! E' cosi che lavora su di voi. E' molto bello. E' un universo che vi mostra dove andare, a partire da quelle dodici note...

[Ascolta una prima versione di Billie Jean, suonata su un iPhone.]

... Quando scrivo, faccio una bozza, per rendermi conto a che punto amo il ritornello. Se funziona su di me quando non é altro che una versione spogliata, allora so che funzionerà... La ascolto, sempre a casa. Poi Janet, Randy e me... Janet ed io facciamo i "Whoo, Whoo... Whoo, Whoo..." Lo faccio ogni volta, per ogni canzone. E' la melodia... La melodia é l'elemento più importante. Se la melodia mi piace, se la versione abbozzata funziona, allora continuo. Generalmente, se suona bene nella mia testa, allora rende bene una volta che la materializzo. L'idea é di mettere su banda la canzone ed i suoni che sentite nella vostra testa.

Se prendete una canzone come 'Billie Jean', il basso occupa una parte importante. Domina la canzone, è il [protagonista] del pezzo, è il riff principale che salta all'orecchio. Captare la personalità di quel riff e farlo suonare esattamente come lo pensate, richiede molto tempo e lavoro. Ascoltate, ci sono quattro bassi qua dentro, ciascuno che suona con una personalità diversa, ed é questo che dà il personaggio finale. Richiede molto lavoro.

Q: Un altro grande momento resta la tua prestazione allo show televisivo MOTOWN 25...

R: Stavo lavorando su 'Beat It', ed é capitato che mi fossi piazzato nello studio Motown - avevo lasciato Motown da molti anni. Si apprestavano a produrre una cerimonia per celebrare i 25 anni di Motown, e Berry Gordy é venuto a chiedermi se volevo farne parte. Gli ho risposto 'NO'. Ho risposto no perché avevo altre idee per Thriller. Berry ha quindi aggiunto: "Ma é per celebrare i 25 anni di Motown...". Ho riflettuto ed ecco che gli ho proposto: "Lo faro', ma ad una sola condizione: voglio cantare una canzone che non fa parte del catalogo Motown". Ha risposto "Quale?", gli ho detto: "Billie Jean". Ha accettatto aggiungendo: "Ok". Ho ripreso: "Mi lascerai veramente fare 'Billie Jean'?" "Si", mi ha risposto.

E' stato allora che ho riunito i miei fratelli per cominciare le prove. Ci siamo messi a lavorare sul nostro numero, selezionando le canzoni per il medley. Ma non solamente questo: bisognava anche lavorare alle inquadrature delle telecamere. Realizzo e monto tutto quello che faccio. Ogni ripresa che vedete viene da me. Lasciatemi spiegare perché devo lavorare cosi: piazzo 5, no, 6 telecamere. Quando siete sul palco - e poco importa il contesto della performance - se non fate una captazione vostra, le persone non la vedranno. E' il media più egoista al mondo. Filmate QUELLO che volete mostrare al pubblico, QUANDO volete che lo vedano, COME volete che lo vedano, e quale giustapposizione volete che guardino. Create l'integralità del sentimento che vi é presentato, attraverso gli angoli e le riprese. Perché so quello che voglio vedere. So come voglio vedermi sullo schermo. Conosco l'emozione sentita durante questa o quella performance, e cerco di catturarla assicurandomi il montaggio.

Q: Da quanto tempo crei tutti questi elementi?

R: Da quando sono piccolo, con i miei fratelli. Mio padre aveva l'abitudine di dire: "Mostragli, Michael, mostragli come si fa".

Q: Erano gelosi di questo?

R: Non l'hanno mai mostrato all'epoca, ma sarà stato difficile, perché non ricevevo mai sculacciate durante le ripetizioni e gli allenamenti. [Risate]. Ma avevo spesso dei problemi dopo. [Risate]. E' vero, era dopo il lavoro che ricevevo delle correzioni. Mio padre ci faceva ripetere con una cintura in mano. Non bisognava fare dei passi falsi. Mia padre era un genio in cio' che riguarda il modo di gestire il palco, di occuparsi del pubblico, di anticipare il prossimo concatenamento, o di mostrare al pubblico che soffrite, o che qualcosa non va. Era incredibile in questo campo.

Q: E' stato cosi che hai acquisito non solamente il vostro senso degli affari, ma anche il controllo di tutti gli aspetti di questo mestiere?

R: Si, assolutamente. Mio padre, l'esperienza; ma ho anche imparato molto da mio padre. Quando era giovane, faceva parte di un gruppo, i Falchi. Venivano a casa e suonavano continuamente. Eravamo sempre immersi nella musica. E' qualche cosa di ancorato, di culturale presso i Neri: spostate i mobili, montate il suono... E quando ricevete ospiti, tutti si mettono al centro della stanza, e dovete mostrargli cosa sapete fare. Lo adoravo.

Q: I tuoi bambini fanno questo oggi?

R: Si, ma sono timidi. Lo fanno per me alcune volte.

Q: Parlando del mondo dello spettacolo: MTV non suonava mai nessuno video di artisti neri. A che punto questo era difficile per te?

R: Dicevano che non passavano video di [artisti neri]. Questo mi ha spezzato il cuore, ma allo stesso tempo ha fatto partire qualche cosa in me. Mi dicevo: "Bisogna che io faccia qualcosa... Mi rifiuto di essere ignorato". Allora, si, per Billie Jean, hanno detto che "non l'avrebbero diffusa".

Ma quando l'hanno fatto, gli ha dato un audience record. Dopo questo, mi hanno chiesto TUTTO quello che avevo da proporgli. Erano loro che bussavano alla nostra porta. Poi é arrivato Prince, e MTV gli ha aperto le sue porte, cosi come agli altri artisti neri. All'inizio di questa catena non suonavano che Heavy metal 24h/24. Solo un mix di immagini folli...

Sono venuti a vedermi molte volte nel passato dicendomi: "Michael, senza di te, non ci sarebbe MTV". Me l'hanno ripetuto, senza fine, in privato. Ho concluso che non l'avevano sentito all'epoca... Ma sono sicuro che me l'hanno detto senza alcuna acidità o secondo fine... [Risate].

Q: Questo ha fatto nascere una nuova era più moderna per il video...

R: Ricordo aver guardato gli inizi di MTV. Non dimentichero' mai questo: mio fratello Jackie che mi diceva: "Michael, bisogna che tu guardi questo canale. Mio Dio, é l'idea del secolo. Diffondono della musica 24 h al giorno... 24 ore al giorno!". Gli ho detto: "Guardiamola". Mi siedo, guardo, e mi dico: "Se solamente potessero rendere questi video più divertenti, con una storia, e più danza, sono sicuro che le persone amerebbero ancora di più questo canale".
    Quindi ci ho riflettuto e mi sono detto che il giorno che avrei fatto qualcosa, questo progetto avrebbe dovuto comportare una storia, con un inizio, un intermezzo ed una fine - perché lo spettatore possa seguirne il filo conduttore. Ce n'é bisogno, in questa maniera, quando guardate quel video, cercate di capire quello che succederà in seguito. E' cosi che ho fatto diverse esperienze con 'Thriller', 'The Way You Make Me Fee'l, 'BAD' e 'Smooth Criminal', focalizzandomi sulla realizzazione e sulla scrittura.

Q: Cosa pensi dei clips e dell'industria dei dischi oggi?

R: [Questa industria] arriva ad un crocevia. E' in piena trasformazione. Le persone sono un po' perse: cosa ci aspetta, come distribuire e vendere la musica? Penso che Internet ha definitivamente cambiato le variabili. E' cosi potente, ed i ragazzi ne sono pazzi. Il mondo intero si trovano davanti a loro, ad un click di mouse. Tutto quello che desiderano sapere, le persone con cui vogliono comunicare, tutta la musica, tutti i films... In questo momento, tutti i contratti ed accordi con Starbucks e Wal-Mart, non so se é la risposta giusta. Secondo me, la soluzione resta proporre della musica fenomenale. Accontentarsi di toccare il grande pubblico. Penso che le persone continuano a cercare. Non c'é una rivoluzione musicale reale in questo momento. Ma quando arriverà, le persone romperanno un muro per arrivarci. Le persone NON acquistavano dei dischi. Thriller le ha portate dai venditori di dischi. Quindi, quando succede, succede.

Q: Chi ti impressiona?

R: Come artista, mi piace molto quello che fa Ne-Yo. E' molto "Michael Jackson" allo stesso tempo. Ma é quello che mi piace di lui. Penso che quel ragazzo ha capito come funziona la stesura di una canzone.

Q: Lavori con questi giovani artisti?

R: Certo. Sono il tipo che non da importanza all'origine di una canzone, che venga da un contadino o dal ragazzo che spazza il pavimento. Se é una buona canzone, é una buona canzone. La maggior parte delle idee migliori viene dalle persone comuni, che dicono semplicemente: "Perché non provi questo, o quest'altro?". Chris Brown é una sicurezza, stessa cosa per Akon.
    Voglio sempre fare della musica che ispira od influenza un'altra generazione. Volete vedere la vostra opera vivere, che sia una scultura, un quadro, od una canzone. Come diceva Michelangelo: "So che il creatore partirà un giorno, ma la sua operà gli sopravviverà. E' per questo che per sfuggire alla morte, tento di attaccare la mia anima alla mia musica". Penso la stessa cosa. Mi do completamente al mio lavoro. Voglio che la mia opera viva.

Q: Cosa si prova a sapere di aver cambiato la Storia? Ci pensi spesso?

R: Si, spesso. Sono felice di vedere che abbiamo aperto delle porte, che questo lavoro ha fatto avanzare delle cose. Partire in tour, nel mondo intero, vedere l'influenza di questa musica negli stadi. Quando guardate da lontano uno volta sul palco, tanto lontano quando ve lo permettono i vostri occhi, é incredibile vedere tutte queste persone. E' un sentimento meraviglioso, ma non è arrivato senza dolore.

Q: In che senso?

R: Quando sei all'apice della tua arte, un pioniere, le persone vengono verso di te. E' là che succede, poco importa chi si trovi in cima, vuoi raggiungerlo.

Ma sono riconoscente: tutti questi numeri 1, i più grandi albums, tutti questi ricordi. Mi sento sempre riconoscente. Sono qualcuno che aveva l'abitudine di sedersi nel salone per acoltare mio padre suonare Ray Charles. Mia madre mi svegliava alle 3 del mattino, dicendomi: "Sta in televisione, sta in televisione!". Correvo e guardavo James Brown, e mi dicevo: "Ecco cosa voglio fare".

Q: Ci si puo' aspettare di più da Michael Jackson?

R: Scrivo molte cose in questo momento. Sono in studio tutti i giorni. Ho sempre pensato che il rap sarebbe diventato più universale appena si fosse messo ad includere delle melodie, perché tutto il mondo non parla inglese [Risate]. Nel caso contrario, questo vi limita al vostro paese. Ma quando avete una melodia, e tutto il mondo la puo' acoltare, allora tocca tutto il mondo, dalla Francia al Medio Oriente, ovunque! Tutto il mondo deve poterla ascoltare, dal contadino in Irlanda, passando per la donna delle pulizie che pulisce i bagni ad Harlem ai ragazzi che schioccano le dita. Devi essere capace di cantarla.

Q: Hai quasi 50 anni. Pensi di farlo anche a 80 anni?

R: In effetti, humm, no. Non come James Brown o Jackie Wilson. Hanno tirato sulla corda, e si sono uccisi. Secondo il mio modesto parere, avrei preferito che James Brown avesse rallentato e si fosse riposato un po' di più per apprezzare tutto il suo lavoro.

Q: Ripartirai in tournée?

R: Le lunghe tournées non mi interessano. Ma quello che mi piace nelle tournées, é questa meravigliosa opportunità di affinare la propria abilità e le proprie competenze. E' per questo che amo Broadway, ed é per questo che molti attori puntano verso Broadway, gli permette di perferzionarsi. E' veramente cosi. Ci vogliono anni per diventare un buon [Intrattenitore]. Degli anni. Non potete far uscire un ragazzo dall'ombra cosi e gettarlo sul palco sperando di vederlo misurarsi con un'altra persona. Non funzionerà mai. E il pubblico lo sa. Lo vede. La maniera in cui un artista muove la sua mano, il suo corpo, tiene il suo microfono, la maniera di salutare. Il pubblico lo vede subito.

Stevie Wonder é un profeta della musica. Fa parte delle persone che devo citare. Avevo l'abitudine di dire: "Bisogna che io scriva di più". Ricordo aver osservato tutti questi compositori: Gamble & Huff, Hal Davis & The Corporation. Li guardavo scrivere tutte queste canzoni per i Jackson 5 e volevo veramente studiare questa "anatomia". Ma molto spesso, ci facevano venire quando tutto era pronto, non ci restava che cantare. Questo mi infastidiva perché volevo vederli creare la canzone. Allora mi hanno dato ABC, I Want You Back ou The Love You Save una volta che le canzoni erano terminate, perché potessi studiarle e lavorare.

Stevie Wonder mi lasciava letteralmente sedere come una mosca posata sul muro. Assistevo alle sessioni di Songs In The Key Of Life, cosi come di altre canzoni leggendarie. Stessa cosa con Marvin Gaye... Sono delle persone che venivano a casa per giocare a Basket il week end con i miei fratelli. Eravamo sempre insieme. Quando avete l'occasione di vedere come lavora questa scienza, di studiarne l'anatomia, la struttura e di vedere come tutto questo funziona, é semplicemente meraviglioso.

Q: Ti muovi su una scena internazionale. Come vedi il mondo attuale?

R: Sono estremamente interessato dall'impegno contro il riscaldamento del pianeta. So che questo sarebbe successo, ma speravo che i dirigenti sensibilizzassero l'opinione un po' prima. Ma non é mai troppo tardi. Descrivono il fenomeno come un treno lanciato a piena velocità, e che non si puo' arrestare. Bisogna occuparsene oggi. E' quello che ho cercato di fare con canzoni come Earth Song, Heal The World e We Are The World, nell'obiettivo di sensibilizzare le persone. Mi piacerebbe che ascoltassero ogni parola.

Q: Cosa pensi delle prossime elezioni presidenziali? Hillary, Barack?

R: Per dirla tutta, non seguo queste cose. Gli uomini non sono là per risolvere i problemi del mondo. Non possono farlo. E' cosi che la vedo. E' al di sopra di noi. Non abbiamo alcun controllo sulle terre, e tremano. Non abbiamo alcun controllo sugli oceani, e abbiamo degli tsunami. Non abbiamo alcun controllo sul cielo, e ci sono delle tempeste. Siamo tutti fra le mani di Dio. Penso che gli uomini debbano tenerne conto. Vorrei che facessero più cose per i bébé ed i bambini, aiutarli di più. Sarebbe geniale, non trovate?

Q: Parlando di bambini, come padre oggi, se ritornaste 25 anni indietro, qual'é la differenza fra il Michael di prima ed il Michael di oggi?

R: E' probabilmente lo stesso Michael. Volevo solamente realizzare alcune cose. Avevo certe cose in testa, come avere dei bambini e crescerli. Mi piace enormemente farlo.

Q: Cosa pensi di tutte le cose scritte su di te? Tutte queste cose che leggi, che effetto ti fa?

R: Non ci presto alcuna attenzione. A mio parere, è ignoranza. Di solito non si basa su alcun fatto ma piuttosto su dei miti, vedete. Le persone che non si vedono mai: in ogni quartiere, c'é un vicino che nessuno vede, e tutti quanti ne parlano. Si creano un mucchio di storie su quello che avrei fatto o non fatto. Le persone sono pazze!

Io voglio solo creare della buona musica.

Ma per tornare a Motown 25, una delle cose che mi ha più colpito é il momento che ha seguito la mia prestazione su 'Billie Jean'. Non lo dimentichero' mai. Nel backstage, c'era Marvin Gaye, i Temptations, Smokey Robinson ed i miei fratelli. Mi hanno tutti preso tra le braccia per abbracciarmi. Richard Pryor mi si é avvicinato e mi ha detto: "E' semplicemente il miglior numero che abbia mai visto".
    Era la mia ricompensa. Ammiravo queste persone dalla mia infanzia, e vederli felicitarmi cosi e mostrarmi tutta la loro ammirazione, mi sono sentito onorato. Il giorno dopo, Fred Astaire mi ha chiamato. Mi ha detto:" Ti ho guardato ieri sera, ed ho registrato lo show. L'ho guardato di nuovo stamattina. Sei un gran ballerino! Li hai messi a terra!". Più tardi, quando l'ho visto, ha fatto questo con le dita (mima un moonwalk, le sue due dita che scivolano sul palmo dell'altra mano).

Ricordo molto chiaramente come ho fatto quel numero, e ricordo di essermene voluto perché non assomigliava esattamente a quello che volevo: volevo fare di più. Ma non più una volta che avevo finito. Un piccolo ragazzo ebreo é venuto a vedermi nel backstage. Mi ha guardato e mi ha detto [con un tono sorpreso]: "Chi ti ha insegnato a danzare cosi?" [Risate]. Gli ho risposto: "Dio, penso... e le prove".

Traduzione: http://mjjforum.it/forum/%5Bintervista%5D-...7-a-t14076.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LINK CORRELATI:

DOCUMENTARIO SUI SERVIZI FOTOGRAFICI DI MJ PER EBONY E L'UOMO VOGUE"MICHAEL: THE LAST PHOTO"

INTERVISTE AUDIO A MJ (SUB ITA) - Michael Jackson 2007 Ebony Audio Interview

Edited by ArcoIris - 7/6/2017, 20:51

118 replies since 30/9/2012, 14:38   10259 views